Push It

fargomom said:
Good evening!

Bad news first. I skipped my workout today for Cathe's Nov LIS rotation. I was supposed to do the cardio part of slide 'n glide and TB trisets upper body. Good news. I ran 25 mins on the treadmill at the gym and also did 18 pushups (up 4 from my previous count of 14). YAY! Those 18 tired me out, so I rested in child's pose, panting like a dog for about 3 hours ..... (hahaha) .... and then I did two more sets of 5 for a total of 10 more. So 28 pushups total for today. ((pats self on back)) :D I think I'm supposed to do yoga max or yoga relax tomorrow for the rotation, so I think I will just sub in today's workout instead. So that way I'm back on track.

heartymax - I don't know if I said welcome to the group, so welcome! nice to meet you and be proud of those 20 pushups!

Cheryl - Thanks for the form pointers. I kept those in mind when I was doing my pushups this evening. It definitely helped!!!

Natty - Yes, LIS rocks!!! I really love it. There's just a few more workouts that I haven't done yet like turbo barre, which I must admit scares me a little!, but so far I am really loving it. I'm almost done with week 1 of the rotation and then 3 more weeks to go. I see you're getting good results with the Feb rotation ... I'm leaning towards doing that next!

Stacie - 70 degrees?!? Jealous!! We're supposed to be 40 tomorrow, which is warm for us. But, man oh man, 70 would be so awesome. Enjoy it! (go do your pushups outside .....) HA!

Dana - I really like 4DS kickbox, too. The premix of kickbox only is perfect for days when I'm short on time. I haven't done a kickboxing workout in a long time .... I think I'm going thru withdrawal hearing you talk about it!

Susan - Did your kids enjoy "The Lorax" movie? The last one I saw with my kids was the smurfs movie ... which wasn't anything special IMO. My husband and I want to see that new navy seals movie that came out a week or so ago.

Raciela - Good job on you run! You're an inspiration! Did you do anything fun this wknd?

KARA

Fargomom- good job 28 push ups! Yay!

I'll be running in about 15 mins the plan is 12 miles then church afterwards.

Hi everyone :)

Today is my rest day with March's rotation starting tomorrow. My next scheduled weight lifting w/o is on Wed, but I will still do push-ups tomorrow. Lots of cardio on the March rotation.........Hiit 40/20 this week :eek:

Kara
Great job on all those push-ups!!!!!! Running 25min on the treadmill is awesome too. I have to admit, I am scared of the treadmill. I owned a gym membership 10 years ago and HATED IT. Maybe cuz' I had no idea what I was doing. I felt embarrassed on cardio machines and lifting weights. Now, I'm sure I could totally rock them, but the treadmill still scars me. I'm afraid I will fall off or something. I admire people who run, such as yourself. You seem to be very committed (and with 3 children that is definitely not an easy task!). I pat you on the back too :)
Raciela
I have nothing to say. I am sooo impressed. 50 push-ups!!!! Wow!! I'm not sure my UB has the capacity to do that many in a row......if I can get to 30, I'll be happy.

Have a great day :)

Natasha

Good evening!

Cheryl - Thanks for the form pointers. I kept those in mind when I was doing my pushups this evening. It definitely helped!!!

KARA

I can't take credit for the form pointers, keeping the pelvis tucked, stomach tucked and butt tightened, those came from Chalene and from the instructor for Weider X-Factor ST whose name I can never remember, but boy is he good!!

The push ups I did today were part of Week 2 of the X-Factor and I managed 8 sets of them - 2 push ups then extending opposite arm and leg each side and continuing for 45 seconds.

...Cheryl

FabAbs---I don't have the Weider workouts so I tried to imagine the form pointers that you mention. I just purchased a new elliptical a few weeks ago so I can't purchase any other workouts regardless of how inexpensive they are. I have a hard time trying to pace or figure out my breathing when doing push ups. I know it will get better.

mini-natty---I just finished Meso 2 and I thinking about going right into Meso 3 so I can finish it before I go on Spring Break. I haven't decided yet. My rest week is usually mostly cardio and a total body workout anyway. I have until the morning to decide if I am going right into Meso 3. I love STS. I am thinking of doing the STS/LIS rotation after this.

TRSTACIE----I hate drop sets! They are definitely a killer.

Today was day 2 of the hundred push up challenge. I started in week 3 based on my initial test. I was scheduled for 5 sets of push ups with a 90 second rest in between. 14 push ups, 19 push ups, 14 push ups, 14 push ups and at least 19 for the last set and I did 21.

Great job everyone on working hard on those pushups. I am still working on the dropsets for the pushups....so far so good! Friday is the next pushup test day for me so hopefully they will help!

Sorry for the delayed response. I was out of town all weekend visiting my family and it's really hard to reply via my phone. My sister is hooked on Just Dance 3. We were all taking turns dancing against each other. One of the songs on the game is "Gonna Make you sweat" from C&C music factory. I had forgotten how fun it was to do the running man!

It was so warm here today. I think in the 60's. Almost everyone was out and about in just a t-shirt. Tomorrow is supposed to be even warmer. It's tempting to call sick into work...lol.

Kara & Natty - I still do the treadmill from time to time but I am very careful about it now. The treadmill is what actually messed up my knees. About five years ago I did a two mile run on it and then after I stopped my right knee really hurt. The next day, the left one started hurting as well. I took a week or two off and the extreme pain went away but ever since then they hurt now and then. They also sometimes make weird cracking noises going up and down the stairs. I do a lot of extra knee stretches in order to do Cathe's workouts.

Natty - Martinis are tasty! There is a place here called the purple martini that does a creamsicle one....very yummy.

Raciela - Already up to 50! Good for you! You are going to surpass your max in no time. And after a 4 mile run? Wow!

FabAbs - Thanks for the tips. I will try them out the next time I do the pushups.

HeartyMax - 20 pushups is awesome!

You guys are all spanking me in the pushup realm. I better stopping dancing and start doing more pushups! ;)

Hello good am ladies! It's 70deg here in California, nice weather. Its wonderful to see u guys working on push ups, work it out! Woop! Woop!
I did yoga relax this am, I haven't done that yoga for months & I forget how nice/ relaxing those moves. My legs were sore after running yesterday.
Today i was mentally/physically prepared so I thought I'll do 55 push ups so while I was doing it I said to myself I will PUSH it to 60! I made it! But my legs, chest & arms were literally trembling! Anyways I beat my record of 55.
Thank you ladies for this check in!

Hi Everyone!

Sorry I have been quiet. It was a busy weekend. My daughters keep me so busy between soccer practices, games, swimming, etc. I am going non stop, and these next 2 weeks are going to be the busiest of my life. My normal busy schedule is further complicated by the school Talent Show on 3/16, so in preparation there are practices 4 nights in addition to my already crazy schedule.

Despite that, I never give up my workouts. I get up at 6am on the weekends to get it done before I get on with my day. I am doing the Feb rotation and have been blasting my lower body. I have done Legs and Glutes (with S&G cardio as a warm up), Body Max 2 (one of my favorites. Natty - I just saw another post by you with this on your wish list. By far one of my all time faves), and then today was Butts and Guts. I was supposed to go in the office today but there was a schedule change, so since I had nothing planned, I couldn't resist throwing in B&G.

Unfortunately, still no push up count. My chest was still hurting on Sat and Sunday from 4ds on Friday... I must say I am impressed with everyone's results.

Kara - my girls loved The Lorax. I am a sucker for kids movies (beats this garbage on TV these days) so I liked it too.

Well I am on my lunch break, gotta iron on petals for Daisys (that's girls scouts for the younger ones, comes before Brownies. And I am my daughters leader. Add that to my list of things to do) And then I have to preview Cardio Core Circuit as that's on schedule for tomorrow and I have never done it. Saw another post about Step Moves, hope to check that one out too as I haven't done that either. I like to collect DVDs but savor their newness, so it takes me some time to work them into a rotation :D

Susan

Great job everyone! It's amazing to see so many people dedicated to upping their push-up count in addition to getting their daily w/o's in. I am truly impressed.

Today I have the pleasure of doing lots of push-ups during my Tabata Inferno w/o (Supreme 90-Day). I am veering away from my rotation for a day because I have been doing a lot of kickboxing lately, and today's scheduled w/o is kickboxing. Tabata is not something I "love" but it improves my cardiovascular health and changes it up. My count will be this evening.

Susan
I don't blame you for not doing push-ups. I can't do them if my UB is screaming from DOMS, so no point in trying. I am LOVING 4DS!! I have been dabbling in the hi/low step. High Intensity just confused the heck out of me. But that's ok, I am gonna nail that sucker one day. CCC, OH MY, OH MY. You are in for a treat. That one totally kicks my a**. The hardest cardio w/o by far IMO. Let me know how you like (hate) it :eek:.
Stacie
Don't talk about warm weather..........here it's -16 with the wind chill (so 2f converted I think). You are SO LUCKY. I got shafted when my family decided Canada was a good place to settle after getting off the boat from Italy.

Good day to all!

Natty,

I previewed CCC and I am a little bit scared. More pushups tomorrow. I may never do this challenge! I seriously don't know how they can do the burpees and go down into a pushup as soon as their toes hit the ground...

As for Step Moves, I watched that with my mouth gaping open. That seems super complicated. If you can master that, you can get 4DS!!! At least that's my opinion. But I guess we are all different. Too many turns mess me up. If I feel up to it after CCC tomorrow, I am going to try step combo 1. I have to learn the complicated ones outside of my normal workout. I hate to spend time learning a routine when I should be "working out." It always seems like time wasted.

Susan

Natty,

I previewed CCC and I am a little bit scared. More pushups tomorrow. I may never do this challenge! I seriously don't know how they can do the burpees and go down into a pushup as soon as their toes hit the ground...

As for Step Moves, I watched that with my mouth gaping open. That seems super complicated. If you can master that, you can get 4DS!!! At least that's my opinion. But I guess we are all different. Too many turns mess me up. If I feel up to it after CCC tomorrow, I am going to try step combo 1. I have to learn the complicated ones outside of my normal workout. I hate to spend time learning a routine when I should be "working out." It always seems like time wasted.

Susan

Susan,
I have yet to master the burpee into a push-up. When I do it, I'm not as fast as Cathe & crew. They seem to be so fluid during that move. I go down and then do a push-up, or I will just do a burpee. For me, that's the hardest move during the whole w/o. I understand your confusion with the MET values. I find that w/o wayyy harder than AB, and I think that one has a MET of like 8.5 or something. Perhaps it's the break with the "core" exercises that decrease the MET value. Regardless, I find CCC the toughest cardio Cathe has produced, right up there with Imax3 and 40/20. As far as Step Moves, it's not that bad. I am new to complex step and "got it" after maybe 3-4 tries. Yup, it is time wasted, so I try to learn new choreo on my off days......sometimes :)

Happy Monday! Two more days of great weather here in Colorado and then the snow comes back for two days and the temperature will plummet 30+ degrees. I went for a walk today with a coworker at lunch to enjoy the fab weather! She was walking in just a tank top....totally crazy for March.

Natty - I lived in South Dakota for 18 months and it sounds like the weather in Canada is much like the weather there. I HATED it! I was really depressed in the wintertime because it was so cold you couldn't even be outside. The windchill was awful too. It would be close to -40F when the wind picked up. My lungs would burn sometimes just going into the grocery store. It didn't help that the office was really cold too. We measured the temperature at my desk once and it was 58 degrees F where my feet were. Not fun! So glad you liked 4DS -- it really is a great set. Also, it is possible to get STS for about 1/2 the price (I read that you wanted it on a different thread). I picked it up when she had it on special for the after Thanksgiving sales. I have the full 40 disc version. Cathe offered it for $179.99 and then you could get 30% off if your order was over $200 which was only two more DVDs. So the final price was 125.99 which is half! Just keep your eyes out for the sales....

Susan - No worries about the pushup count. I am sure you will do great when you get to it. A lot of people are talking about the Lorax and it's connection to SUVs. Kind of interesting that it's a story about saving the environment that is used in a SUV commercial!!!! BTW, I have CCC but have not done it yet. It's on my rotation for this week though. I know what you mean about previewing the workout first. I actually stopped doing it and just jump right in now. Most of the time it works out ok....last night was not one of those nights though. I did LIC for the first time and actually had to take the dog out in the middle just to clear my head because for some reason the moves were just not sticking. Good luck though!

Raciela - Congrats on beating your record! That's awesome! I don't know how you do it....simply amazing!

My friend lent me her copy of P90X. I may do that after I finish STS next month. Anyone have an experience with it? I have heard good things but I also know I will miss my Cathe workouts.

Hi all

I would love to join you all. I'm 43 and live in the UK. I have been doing Cathe for about 4 years on and off and I love her. I'm married to a wonderful DH and I have a gorgeous golden retriever called Ollie, who is our baby.

Presently I'm doing Cathe's March rotation with Legs & Glutes done today. I will start my push up challenge tomorrow. I don't think there will be many as I haven't done much exercise recently. Also I've come out in a terrible skin reaction to something. The whole of my arms and legs are itching like crazy. Went to the docs and he just gave me some antihistamines. So I am still not the wiser. He said if it carried on he would refer me to a dermatologist. So I'm sitting here as red and blotchy as a bruised tomato lol.

trstacie - Loved the motivational music! Had to listen to it twice whilst posting this. Hopefully it will motivate me to do my push ups tomorrow. I'll post then.

Its great to make so many international friends. Happy days everyone.

Love
Laura
x

TRSTACIE - I did 1 month of P90X and I loved it, I didn't use a pull up bar but the Total Gym for the pull ups. The 1 month flew by but at the time I wasn't a rotation person and moved on. P90X is alot of fun but I am a big Tony Horton fan - I still do Kenpo X and Yoga X is 90 minutes long with 45 minutes standing and 45 minutes floor from time to time. When I am done with my Chalene Extreme rotation I am seriously considering doing a P90X rotation.

Okay - today was CLX Burn Circuit 1 - I am starting my last week of the Burn Circuit with my daughter Stacey. A 5 mile run and Strong Stride stretching. As for push ups I did 7, rested, 7 rested, 5, rested, 5, rested and then 12. I can feel my strength building for these.

...Cheryl

Hi ladies. Sounds like everyone had a nice weekend & is making good progress on the push-up challenge!

Laura - Welcome! Sorry to hear about your allergic reaction. Hopefully you will be blotch-free again soon. :) In which part of the UK are you?

Natty - Those are 2 of my 3 dog-babies: Didi & Daisy. They are sweet, sweet girls! I also have a smaller one (Pixie) who likes to sit on the couch & watch me work out with Cathe. She's the only one allowed in my work out room because the bigger ones just think I'm trying to play with them when I work out. :)

Susan - I LOVE Step Moves! It's so much fun & really not too difficult to learn. I'm sure you'll get the hang of it quickly. (Definitely more fun & less difficult than push-ups as far as I'm concerned! Lol)

Susan & Natty - Glad to know I'm not alone in modifying the burpee/push-up move. It's so hard! I honestly don't know if I'll ever be able to master that one.

TRSTACIE & Cheryl - Keep us posted on your decisions/success with P90X. DH has been considering it, but I don't know much the program. I'm wondering how it compares to STS. If I could convince him to get STS instead of P90X, we could both benefit! ;)

Well, Sat & Sun I worked on my push-ups (bent-knee). I gotta build up strength somehow. I did 16, quick rest, 12, quick rest, 8, quick rest, 6, quick rest, then 4. I figured if I just keep practicing these I'll eventually get stronger. Tonight's workout was CTX 10-10-10, including triceps. I just got AfterBurn, Athletic Training, Cardio Supersets, & Tri Sets in the mail today! (Already had Turbo Barre & Yoga.) I'm going to start a LIS rotation in 2 wks - SO excited!!!

Have a good evening everyone.
Dana

Susan - Ha! Funny that you say you feel it's "time wasted" when you have to learn new step moves. I feel the same way. I'm still working on learning combo #4 from LIC. I, too, have Step Moves, but haven't previewed it or tried it (yet). It's always such a learning curve when trying those tricky moves. I hate it, but I love it when I finally get it down. There was once a time when I didn't get Imax 3, but then I finally got it ... so just gotta put the effort in.

Natty - Chilly here, too. Not as low as you, temperature wise, but with the wind it sure felt like it. Thanks for your nice comments about my running. I consider myself a runner, but then again I'm not a runner, you know what I mean? I go slow and I race only against myself. It doesn't come naturally to me by any stretch of the imagination. Here - check this out: http://weknowawesome.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/look-like-when-im-running.jpg (me to a T!) :p

Stacie - I hear you on the treadmill. I'm not fan of it either, but it's either run on the treadmill or run outside in the cold and ice, so I choose the lesser of two evils. I typically run on it only twice a week. I can't wait until the weather warms up more and the snow melts so I can take my runs outside. One of my knees has a tendency to act up every now and then, too. And it seems less likely to act up outside versus the treadmill. Oh, the joys of getting older!! My husband has P90x. I tried one of the cardio workouts a couple years ago and personally didn't care for it, but that's just me. The ab portion is a toughie!

I can't get those burpees into a pushup either!

Raciela - you are the Queen of the pushup check-in group! High five!!

Laura - Welcome to the group! Nice to have you!

Dana - Yay for getting new DVDs in the mail! I love that! Afterburn is one of my faves. Cardio Supersets, too. You've got some goodies there with your new dvds!

I did Athletic Training this afternoon and then this evening a mix of the elliptical and treadmill at the gym. Tomorrow is my rest do so I might use that to preview some of the dvds I haven't yet done (Step Moves, Turbo Barre, CCC, ...). I have Turbo Barre on my rotation for Wednesday .... my knees are shaking. I've heard it's a toughie. (better get my game face on I guess....!)

Good job everyone!

KARA

Today is an unexpected rest day for me. I am exhausted this morning. Yesterday was I was so energetic and I did a 90 minute work out before heading out to work. I get up at 4:30 AM to prepare to work out. STS Meso 3 Chest and Back, followed by floor work from Butts and Gutts and then some quick Ab work. Anyway, no workout today------I did do my push up challenge with a 2 minute rest in between each set. I did 16, 21, 15, 15, and 25 (was supposed to do at least 21 for the last set and I thought I as going to collapse on the floor by the time I was at 25:D.

Good morning everyone :)

Last nights push-up count was not what I expected :(. My w/o was Tabata Inferno and it totally wiped me out. I did 20 off my toes, rested then did another 10. During my w/o I also did 10 triceps push-ups on my knee's. You have good days and bad days. My next count will be Thurs.

Hi Laura! Welcome to the group! So be honest now, how do you really feel about Gordon Ramsay?? :D. I know this is off topic, but I love him! BBC Kitchen Nightmares is my fav and Hell's kitchen too. About your skin reaction, I used to break out into hives often a few years back. I finally discovered that when I was cleaning my kitchen with harsh cleaners, I would always scratch myself (silly me, no gloves). This innocent little scratch turned to hives! Of course, hives could be triggered from anything.
Heartymax
Wow!!! Great counts!!!! You are amazing!!!
Kara
Love AT! Turbo Barre is a killer! I truly think that's Cathe's "best and hardest" from the LIS. CCC is SO TOUGH. I love it but I dread it too. TBH, I'd rather do Imax3, it's THAT TOUGH......for me anyway.
Dana
I love it when I hear the pets trying to "participate" on the workout action. My one cat is like that. I've learned to lock him out of the room, but he still smashes on the door trying to get in! No matter if you do push-up on your knee's or on your toes, they are still tough! You should be proud that you are doing anything, even modifications. Congrats on your LIS purchases!!! You are going to LOVE that rotation!
Stacie
So many people love P90X. I've never done it. I'm sure you'll do great!

have a good day everyone :(

Good morning! I finally did my push up count yesterday. 24 on my toes, but according to my daughter my hands were too wide. I have been cheating this whole time doing wide push ups???? Oh boy!!! I am just happy to have a baseline recorded. I didn't do any more after my rest, I just wanted to get a starting point for consecutive push ups.

This morning I did Cardio Core Circuit. As I like to say to my girls "Holy Moly Mostaccioli" That was HARD HARD HARD!!!! I took 3-4 additional breaks during the work out to just catch my breath. I couldn't even do the last core segment (start in a squat, roll back, roll up to a squat, legs back to a push up, legs up to a squat... roll back and do it all over). I was so slow I was mad at myself :mad: So then I just repeated core segment 3 (butterfly push ups). Those are hard but at least I can do them with all the effort I put forth. It was a really hard workout and I feel it kicked my butt, but in a bad way. Before the stretch, I popped in Step Moves and did combo 1. I started it, had to repeat the first 3-4 minutes, but mastered it after that. It wasn't as hard as I was expecting. But if I remember correctly from my preview, combo 1 wasn't the hard one. I ended the session feeling good that I nailed it, and it was fun. Can't say the same for CCC, I think there will be a major dread factor for me.

At lunch I am finally going to break out one of Cathe's yoga workouts from LIS. I haven't previewed them yet, can anyone give me the scoop on the difference as I won't have time to preview in advance.

Tomorrow is my off day, I need it after today :(

Susan

Last night I did KickMax -- crazy fun. The leg work with the chair was...painful at best! Lol. Cathe is so mean too because during the workout she was saying "This is going to hurt tomorrow!". So far it hasn't set in but DOMS for me usually hits in the afternoon at a workout. The only thing that was weird is that there was a huge amout in the calories burned between the Low Impact premix and the full KickMax program even though the premix is only 13 minutes shorter.

My pushup stats were ok yesterday. A set of 8...two sets of 4...another set of 7...then 6..and then 4 again. I usually only take about a 30 second rest between sets. I have been doing them every day. I read a couple articles online that suggested that.

Cheryl - Thanks for the feedback on P90X. I looked at the workout routine online to get a feel for it. A lot of people say STS is a P90X knock off and I kinda want to try it just to see.

Laura - Welcome, welcome, welcome! I am sorry to hear about your allergic reaction. I hope you feel better soon. Kudos to you for still working out!

Susan - Congrats and getting the count in! Very impressive as well!

Natty - Thanks for the encouragement! =)

Dana - Good job on the pushups! The only thing I want to warn you about is that I did them all on my knees for STS and it actually decreased my on toe count. I guess it's because the knee ones actually use different muscles than the on toe ones (pectoral minor vs pectoral major). They are great though for perfecting your form and an excellent starting point! Natty is right about being proud of your number...so many people can't even do a single pushup any more. As for P90X, I think I will give it a try just to see the difference between it and STS. I have really liked STS so far...I feel like I am biased already!

HeartyMax - That's a lot of pushups! Good for you!

FargoMom - Getting old is not fun at all. Just remember, women are like a fine wine. We only get better with age! :D I don't blame you for running though. There is nothing like runner's high. I have yet to have a single workout that compares to it. It feels like you are floating afterwards.

Back to fixing bugs!

Hi everyone,

I did my lunch break Yoga Relax today. I loved it. I saw a lot of negative feedback on the Yoga routines, but I thought this was fantastic. After starting the Feb 2012 rotation, my lower body has been so achy, not the usual DOMs but just an overall achiness, plus a little DOMs from my B&G yesterday. Yoga Relax felt great.

Before Yoga Relax, I pulled out CCC to attempt core segment #5. I did a little better so I am not so down on myself. I guess that intense core segment at the end of a VERY tough workout was just too much for me.

Lastly, I did my pushups for today: 26, 10, 14. I rested about 30 seconds between set 1 and 2, and 60 seconds between 2 and 3 (my little puppy got right under me when I was about to start and began to lick my face. The little break helped!) I was aiming for 50 today. Next time I will do 50 again, resting 30 seconds only between sets. I will see how that goes but I think my next push up counts will be:

I will have to see how hard it is as I move up the range, and I may need to spend more time on each count. I just feel better now that I have a plan.

Have a great rest of the day. The sun is shining bright in Chicago, I LOVE it!

Susan

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.