PUB revisited-bad mood

nancy324

Cathlete
Here I am, sore from PUB after finishing up a week of soreness from PLB. Ouch! Does anyone else think it's odd that Cathe uses the same weight for chest flyes and chest presses? How is that supposed to work? A weight that challenges me for chest flyes is too easy for chest presses. But it all goes so fast, if I stop to change weights the whole workout takes much longer. I made the mistake yesterday of using the chest press weight for flyes, and now I'm in terrible pain today. Probably take me 5 days before I can even attempt it again....!@#$%^&*()!@#

While I'm in a bad mood, I have another criticism: where's the stretching?? The only stretching is at the end and it's not much. I'm hurting bad and in a very bad mood. x(

Grrr.
-Nancy

That's okay, Nancy. Vent all you want. When I do PUB, I pause the DVD a LOT. The last time I did it, I used a barbell for chest presses and dumbbells for flyes. This way I was able to go heavier for presses and lighter for flyes. I did a lot of pausing to rest and stretch in between. I think the only parts in that workout where I can match Cathe's pace is in the back and tricep segments. I still pause afterwards to STRETCH. Hardly any stretching in that workout, so I put it in myself. All the extras make the workout longer, but it's either that or I end up shelving the workout for the same reasons you've given. Hope your soreness goes away fast.

Pinky

Hi Nancy...sorry you are sore...I have wondered myself about the weight for the presses and flys being the same. I am much stronger at presses. It has been awhile since my chest was sore as one of my shoulders I think there is some tendonitis in (I think I am prone to that)..so I have had to start very light with the chest work in PUB. I was happy I increased in PLB today. My legs have always been strong, so I will be in your boat and sore tomorrow...:)...I have to say I don't focus as much on chest as I do back, shoulders, biceps, triceps. Maybe some sports cream would ease the pain a bit. Ice helps too. I bet the soreness goes away soon....and remember you are doing something so good for your body working out....:)...Carole

I wondered the same thing about the same wt for chest.I never liked this workout till I started doing it my way.I pause when needed because I go heavy without changing wt for the whole 5 sets so I sometimes need a rest.

Wow...I can beat you Nancy!! I did PLB on Wed and I STILL have a slight twinge of soreness even today in my hamstrings!!! The toilet and I were not getting along too well on Thurs and Friday!!:)

Yeah, the Pyramids are great, but the mixture of "pyramiding up" (using pretty heavy weight) and basically no rest in between sets can be brutal. I love that Cathe's workouts are so efficient, but at the same time, where is the rest if we are in fact doing a strength/mass building type workout? Dunno.

You can see my post in Open Discussion for more on this. Currently, soreness is my big gripe right now.

Plus, I am convinced that the more muscle mass you have the sorer you get assuming you are working intensely. I know you were in love with S&H for a long time.....maybe you added some mass that is just making you a tad bit more sore? I can stay with Cathe on chest, but on those tricep kickbacks I practically have to drop to 3's (said in severe shame, lowering head).

Keep on pluggin' along Nancy. By the time you read this you probably will be recovered already!!:)

Janice

I fiddle with this workout to make it work for me.
Cathe does seem to have a tendency to use the same weight for flyes and presses in many of her workouts. It doesn't make sense to me because flyes are an isolation move (and use less muscle, thus would use less weight) and presses are a compound move (using more muscle, and able to handle more weight). I do the flyes with 12, 15 and 17.5 pounds, and the presses with 15, 20, 25 (or 20, 25 and 27.5), pausing the DVD as necessary to make the weight change (or I start the flyes before Cathe and crew do and usually end up in the same place they are.

I'd also like to see stretches after each body part, especially since I just read that stretching muscle right after working them with weights can increase strength by up to 17% (according to a book by Muscle and Fitness Hers).

On the leg work, I definitely put a longer break between sets. I can't change my weights as fast as they do without feeling rushed, to the point of risking injury from going too fast.

Nancy:
Since you've been singing the praises of S&H lately, I can see how PUB could be frustrating. I do PUB one of two ways, depending on what I want to get out of it.

Sometimes I keep Cathe's pace and use lighter weights for an endurance workout, but what I really like to do is take 30-60 second breaks between sets and go as heavy as possible. That eliminates the rush to change weights, and the recovery time allows me to use greater increases in weight as I pyramid up.

As produced, I believe the workout is more endurance based, even though people obviously get strength benefits from it as well. When I go heavy it takes as long as an hour to finish, but it's much more comfortable.

I hope your soreness goes away soon, I don't blame you for being grumpy, when I have bad DOMS I know it affects everything I do! It makes me clumsy and short-tempered. Take it easy.

--Ann

Janice, I did gain some muscle in my latest marathon S&H rotation. Wow! I'd like to believe I'm more sore now because I have more muscle! As for 3s for tricep kickbacks, isn't that what Cathe uses in the workout? So why hang your head??

And NO, I'm not recovered yet!!@#$%^&*(

And thank all of you guys for letting me vent like this!
-Nancy

I HATE the chest portion of PUB. My hands hurt so bad holding those weights. I know that sounds stupid but the nerves in my hands are twitching to the point that I want to quit b/c of my hands! I don't know what to do about it. It's so weird. I think I will try what you all suggested and use a barbell for the chest presses. Other than that both pyramid workouts are my fave's...then again I don't own S&H and I'm just completing my collection of the upper body for the PS series. So, I may change my mind once I give PS a whirl and if I ever own the S&H series! Good luck Nancy!:7

Nancy:

Do not despair! Your reaction seems to me to be perectly normal!

I think it has a lot to do with the transition from doing a S&H rotation, to suddenly doing a more endurance based one. I went through exactly the same last July/August, when I did 4 weeks of S & H. loved it, saw real growth, then went to endurance and it stank big time. I felt like a total pune, it hurt like hell, I seemed to have lost all ability to do endurance work and low end lunges.......don't even talkaboutit!!!!!!!

So, give yourself some time, you just need to let your body adjust to the different mode of training and the demands you are placing upon it. And it will, and then you will be happier again, promise!!

Maybe transition from S&H, to PS, and then to Pyramids?

Clare

OK, we are supposed to be challenged by these workouts, and I find that returning to a particular series after using a different series always gets me sore. If I weren't sore , I'd be dissapointed.

Currently, I have switched to the PS series after getting aquainted with the BB series and revisiting PH and MIS. And yes, my biceps, chest and triceps are sore. (Oddly enough my lower half is not sore as expected. Perhaps I need to increase the weight. I am even doing one day of L&G and one day of PS L&A in this rotation. I can't imagine increasing any weight in L&G right now. That workout exhausts my legs.)

Good luck to all and enjoy the soreness as a reward for sticking to a hard workout! Just make sure you are sore and not injured. :)

Judy
sport-smiley-009.gif
http://www.click-smilies.de/sammlung0903/sport/sport-smiley-003.gif

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.