Protein shakes and protein powder

LeAnnZ

It's been brought to my attention that I need more protein and sense I don't eat a lot of protein, I'm looking for the supplements but don't where to buy them. Are they sold in grocery stores and if so, what isle?

Yes, you can buy some protein powders and shakes in the grocery store. They generally keep them with the slimfast and diet stuff (near the vitamins). Your best bet though is to just go to GNC or order online. I find that the brands at the grocery store (at least at my grocery store) cost more and don't taste as good. Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard Whey powder is probably my favorite as far as taste goes. Just be prepared.The taste of protein powder takes a little getting used to :)

Protein powders are good to have on hand in pinch or on rushed days, but nothing is better than real sources of protein. If you enjoy lean meats and eggs, and fish, those are among the best sources that the body utilizes to build muscle and increase metabolism and satisfy blood sugar levels. If you struggle with meats, then foods like organic cottage cheese, and greek yogurt, and beans can also be great sources. Even a bowl of oatmeal contains 6-7 grams of protein. The best sources are meat and eggs based on the fact that they contain all the amino acids necessary to healthy muscle, and in order to get adequate protein you want to plan each meal around it. Especially breakfast. Starting your day with protein is great way to jumpstart metabolism first thing in the morning.

If you do invest in a protein powder, look for one with the least amount of ingredients and choose one that"s plain 100% whey or one sweetened with stevia rather than srtificial sweeteners. I recommend Jay Robb protein as his is made from cow's raised without
hormones.

:)

I love eating greek yogurt because it boosts my protein intake. If you don't like greek yogurt and prefer to not eat too much meat or dairy, another option is to incoprorate quinoa into your diet. It is actually one of the few plant-based complete proteins. Quinoa can be substituted in place of rice and even some pasta dishes.

I like Jay Robb products but prefer to use Naturally Preferred in chocolate. It is all natural like Jay Robb's products but seems to have a better taste to me.

I buy Naturally Preferred protein powder in the health food section of my Kroger grocery store.

Hope that helped!

I get mine at my grocery store. I think I pay about $15 for a 2 week supply.

If you eat meat and aren't lactose intolerant, try buffalo sirloin steaks and Greek yogurt. Buffalo steaks are much leaner than typical cattle and have a higher protein content. Greek yogurt has more protein than regular too. Mmmmm.... steak... I was bummed I couldn't buy any this week, but I had to buy dog food. :(

Last edited:
Many thanks

Thanks!!! I have some great leads now and that's good because it looks like I'm going to need the supplements as I don't eat much or no meat, dairy, cottage cheese, greek yogurt and only eat chicken about once a week. :D

Beverly international is a great tasting protein powder. Mix the vanilla with fruit blueberries, strawberries, etc.

Thanks!!! I have some great leads now and that's good because it looks like I'm going to need the supplements as I don't eat much or no meat, dairy, cottage cheese, greek yogurt and only eat chicken about once a week. :D
YOu can get plenty of protein without those.
Who said you are not getting enough?
IMO, protein should come from real foods, with protein powders or bars used as an occasional supplement as needed.

Hemp, quinoa and lentils are three foods that haven't been mentioned yet.

Hemp protein powder is an excellent protein source if you feel you need to supplement. It contains a good balance of all essential amino acids (as do quinoa and soy) in a highly assimilable form (edistin and albumin).

Be aware that many whey-based protein powders tested were shown to have heavy metal contamination (there's a thread here somewhere where the specific brands are mentioned).

Just couldn't......

I just came home from the grocery and well.....I'm going to have to give myself a few pep talks before I can do the protein shakes. I checked out one of the more recommended for taste brands and read the ingredients. Reminded me of something out of "fear factor". When did eating healthy become so complicated?

Beverly international is a great tasting protein powder. Mix the vanilla with fruit blueberries, strawberries, etc.

I love Beverly's Ultimate Muscle Protein - UMP. I mix it with a little less water so it's thick and then freeze it. Just like ice cream.

I used to use protein powders a lot, but as someone else posted, the best sources are real food sources. I found that when I cut my shake to one a day, about 45 mins after lifting, and used real food all other times, I had much better results.

I checked out one of the more recommended for taste brands and read the ingredients. Reminded me of something out of "fear factor". When did eating healthy become so complicated?
I think whether protein shakes are 'healthy eating' is debatable.

It's been brought to my attention that I need more protein and sense I don't eat a lot of protein, I'm looking for the supplements but don't where to buy them. Are they sold in grocery stores and if so, what isle?
I buy pure whey protein isolate on Amazon...they are by far the cheapest place I have found with free shipping too!

Why exactly is real food better? Protein powder is made from real food.
Much of it is isolated and concentrated in a way that would never occur in nature.

Real food is more balanced in nutrients that something that is isolated tje way protein powders are. Some contain more than the amount of protein the body can process at once (and thus it makes for expensive urine). I've read estimates that the body can only process about 20-25 grams of protein at once (which I'm sure varies from individual to individual, especially based on their size).

I'm sure the manufacturers of protein powders love it when people think they need extra protein that they can't get from their diet. IMO, in the vast majority of cases, no one 'needs' protein supplementation.

Just because something originated in a real food, doesn't mean it's food as well. Soybeans are real food: plastic can be made from soyfoods.

Also, whey protein powders have shown heavy metal contamination.

I'm trying to keep my diet as vegetarian as possible. I use All Pro Science vegetarian protein powder, the berry blast flavor. It tastes great. APS was started by Tony Gonzalez, probably the only vegetarian in the NFL. After my husban read his book he decided to join my new diet plan and loves it! I also use protein-2-go as a pre-work out drink or as an afternoon snack.

amybajamy said:
Why exactly is real food better? Protein powder is made from real food.

Ditto what Kathryn said.

Protein is extracted from real food and as it is concentrated , certain other components also found in "real food" are also concentrated, things such as heavy metals. Heavy metals are part of our world and are found in the soil, plants, and in the animals that eat off the land. Heavy metals are found however in very low concentrations and typically don't pose a problem if you eat real food. The problem comes during the extraction and concentration processes that are used to concentrate protein and other components. More than proteins are being inadvertently concentrated...in the case of protein powder , heavy metals and who knows what else is also being concentrated. Couple this with lack of regulatory oversight in the nutrition supplement industry and you have a bad situation. Don't forget that many medicinals and poisons are actually found in real food too but need to be concentrated from the food source first to realize their potency.
Cathy

Last edited:
I like the Jay Robb protein powder too...

If you like eggs, it's very convenient to hard boil about 8 or 9 at a time, then store in the refrigerator...quick and easy! Peel and eat!

I don't think eating healthy is so complicated. Fresh food, whole grains and nothing that your gramdmother would not recognize as food--at least according to Michael Pollan. Why do you think you need more protein, I agree with Kathryn. Who told you that? Did anyone mention beans? I think Kathryn gave you good suggestions for more protein in your diet--quinoa, greek yogurt, lentils, beans, eggs etc. Try getting Becoming Vegetarian from your library. It has a lot of info about getting enough protein from a vegetarian diet. Take a B 12 supplement.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.