protein shake recipes, please

Stephanie0523

Cathlete
So I read (on another thread) that protein shakes before bed are OK if you work out hard enough. My problem is, I don't know how to make one that is clean and healthy and tasty too. So... Does anyone have any recipes to share? I'm not fond of bananas (long story), so one without bananas would be preferred.

Well, as long as you aren't adding this on to a high calorie day with little exercise it will be ok. The main thing here is calories in vs calories out.
Anyway, I don't have any recipe ideas for you, but if you go to gnc or a health food store their staff should be able to help you pick out a good protein shake, that all you have to do is add water or milk and blend.

I'm sure that others here have good recipes. Maybe do a search under protein shakes.
Kathy

I am actually doing 28 days of protein shakes ( along with other stuff) to help re-train my taste buds after a vacation (that kept going, and going, and going).

My personal favorite right now is lots of ice, a bit of water, vanilla protein powder, 2 tbl flax (ground) and 1 tbl of FF/SF pistachio pudding mix. Blend well and eat with a spoon!

Milk of choice (I often use vanilla rice milk, or hemp milk, less often soy milk), frozen berries (this makes it cool enough to not use ice, which I think just waters down the flavor, and actually makes it too cold for my multiple crowns), I prefer a combo of blueberries and strawberries, scoop of protein powder.

Other options (some are better for earlier in the day, as they add too many calories for night):

spoonful of pb (good with frozen bananas---I know you say you don't like bananas, but have you tried freezing really ripe bananas, peeled, and adding them to a smoothie?)

spoonful of coconut butter/oil

spoonful of ground flax

spoonful of maca powder

spoonful of mesquite powder (adds nutrition and a slightly molasses flaor as well as sweetness)

agave nectar or stevia for sweetness

A fall favorite:

Vanilla protein shake, 4 T (or so) canned pumpkin, a little brown sugar (optional), and some pumpkin pie spice.

This is what I have every morning (I use my magic bullet):

1-2 oz of unsweetened cranberry juice
one serving of vanilla protein powder
one serving of fruit (I love frozen strawberries or blueberries)
stevia to taste
one tablespoon flaxseed oil
3-4 oz of water

This is what I make for me and the kids:

3/4 cup milk
1 packet sf hot chocolate mix
half of frozen banana
Tablespoon of peanut butter
3-5 ice cubes(depends on how frozen the fruit is)

Blend in blender. 1 serving 269 calories, 20% protien.

These are great! I especially like the vanilla/pumpkin idea. LOVE pumpkin, and it's loaded with great vitamins and fiber too. Yummy.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.