Protein powder recommendations

elsie3

Cathlete
I know there have been threads on this topic before, but I wondered if there was anything new out there. I'd love a reasonably priced protein powder without all the artificial sweeteners. Currently, I get EAS protein powder at Sams or Costco because it's affordable and easy to buy. But I hesitate to use it often, because of the artificial sweeteners.

Could you guys list your favorites, and where you get them?

Thanks,

Elsie

Gold Standard 100% Whey

I like this in Double-Rich Chocolate flavor. No artificial sweeteners, and tastes good enough that my ultra-picky 8-year-old will drink it.

DH buys it in 5-lb. containers, but they come in smaller sizes. Manufactured by Optimum Nutrition, Inc.

He buys it online -- lots of places carry it. Just Google it.

Last edited:
Jay Robb Whey Protein or Jay Robb Egg White Protein, both in vanilla. DH likes Tropical Dreamsicle, Pina Colada or Strawberry.

This one is actually recommended by my naturopathic doc, no artificial sweeterners or bad stuff. www.jayrobb.com

I get mine at the local Vitaminshoppe store, but I am sure they have it online as well www.vitaminshoppe.com. It is not really cheap, I think I pay around $ 19 but well worth it.

I like Muscle Milk - any chocolat eflavor.
I get mine at allstarhealth.com. Usually around $30 I believe & delivery is quick. I use just one scoop per serving vs the labels 2 scoops.

I like GeniSoy unflavored soy protein. Works best for me since I usually add it to things like oatmeal. Price isn't outrageous and I get it at my supermarket.

Trader Joes (if you have one by you) has both vanilla and chocolate whey protein flavors. Very reasonably priced, no artificial stuff, and they taste good. 16 ounces for $11.00

I'm also a fan of ON Whey Gold Standard (same powder Pearlstrand recommended). It's not too pricey and goes on sale often at my local market. I usually get the vanilla flavor.

Kathryn, you always have such great tips! You've made me a chia seed convert... I'm going to have to look into Sun Warrior now! :)

Last edited:
I like "Womens Protien Plus" in Mocha by Sisu.

I use 2 scoops with 2 cups of water and it is good.
It also has bromine (stuff in pineapples) in it to help with digestion.

Not a protein powder, but a suggestion for a 'mixer':
I usually mix mine in non-dairy milk, but I have also used the following , when I want something with fewer calories but with a bit of flavor (rather than water):

coconut water

cashew juice (Amazon offered a free case of this with the purchase of a case of ONE coconut water---the deal might still be on), so I tried it. It's high carb on its own (because of added organic sugar), but mixed with a high-protein powder, you can get a nice 2-to-1 carb-to-protein ratio 'recovery drink').

Herbal tea (can add nutrients and flavor without calories or carbs or fat). I tried a Celestial Seasonings Almond dessert tea, and it was yummy with vanilla protein powder. I'd brewed the tea before working out, in a Thermos, and when I was done, the tea was still warm, and I mixed it with the PP. I don't drink coffee, but it tastes like how I imagine some fancy mocha java thingy tastes!

I suppose you could also use green or white tea (higher antioxidant levels, and at least with green tea, EGCG--which I will not even attempt to write the full name of --epigallocate..fragilisiticexpialidicious!----which can increase fat burning). I can't vouch for the flavor, though!

I like this in Double-Rich Chocolate flavor. No artificial sweeteners, and tastes good enough that my ultra-picky 8-year-old will drink it.

DH buys it in 5-lb. containers, but they come in smaller sizes. Manufactured by Optimum Nutrition, Inc.

He buys it online -- lots of places carry it. Just Google it.

I agree this is my favorite. I've tried others but I keep coming back to this one.

Kathryn, you always have such great tips! You've made me a chia seed convert... I'm going to have to look into Sun Warrior now! :)

Ditto! I am really loving the chia seeds also. Kathyrn, I always enjoy reading your posts. You are so knowledgeable and helpful, thank you. I am thinking about trying the Sun Warrior as soon as the other stuff I'm using runs out.

Kathyrn, I always enjoy reading your posts. You are so knowledgeable and helpful, thank you. I am thinking about trying the Sun Warrior as soon as the other stuff I'm using runs out.

Ditto! I just received my Sun Warrier today, and it is good. It has a nutty flavor to it, the flavor I pick up when I eat brown rice if that makes any sense. I am going to pick up some almond milk to use with it. Thank you Kathryn for the info on Sun Warrior!

I use www.trueprotein.com. You can build your own protein powder. I use a mix of gamma, hemp and rice protein.
Wow, that is an interesting site.

Adina,
Glad you're liking the chia seeds also.

Autumn: glad you like the Sun Warrior (last time I bought some, I did the three container deal for a discount --on the Sun Warrior site).

I'm thinking of making some protein bars from a recipe I found that uses protein powder, peanut butter, flax seeds and water. I'll sub chia seeds for the flax, and maybe try another type of butter (like raw almond).

(I thought the recipes were on the Sun Warrior site, but I can't find them now. I'll get them at home and post them FYI).

Last edited:
Thanks, Kathryn

I just had to revisit this thread to send out a thank you to Kathryn for recommending adding protein powder to tea. Gosh... I tried some of the Celestial Seasonings Almond Sunset Dessert Tea and added vanilla protein powder. It was so very good. Has a creamy-taste like chai tea. I had to stir and stir the heck out of it to get the protein powder to dissolve, but it is way worth it!

Everyone must run out and try this NOW!!!!

Thanks again, Kathryn. Keep those unique ideas coming.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.