Protein Bars as a meal supplement?

dani21496

Cathlete
Do you think Protein bars as an every day meal supplement (let's say lunch) is bad or good?

Do you think it could inhibit weight loss because of the saturated fat and processed chemicals?

I've been substituting a protein bar for lunch this past week and was just curious. I like that the fiber and protein in it keeps me full all day and it's quick and easy.

WHERE HAVE U BEEN?????????

Do you think Protein bars as an every day meal supplement (let's say lunch) is bad or good?

Do you think it could inhibit weight loss because of the saturated fat and processed chemicals?

I've been substituting a protein bar for lunch this past week and was just curious. I like that the fiber and protein in it keeps me full all day and it's quick and easy.

Miss Dani -

How's you and your various kids and your singer hubby?

Miss Dani -

How's you and your various kids and your singer hubby?

HI there!! I've been on Facebook. Heehe! :D Thanks for asking. :) Everyone is doing great. Luke is 21 months old already and Nick is starting high school this year!!

A lot has happened. My job that I was at for 13 years got outsourced...had to find another one, and it turned out to be a horrible, horrible nightmare. Luckily, I found another job that is a million times better, but am so, so busy all the time. I've had a couple of deaths in the family (grandfather and uncle) and also lost my best friend in a car accident. It has been hard, but we're all doing well.

DH is still busy with his singing career and is also Mr. Mom during the week. He's doing a great job and it's all working out great.

I also fell off the workout wagon for a while and am trying to get back to where I was. I'm trying to get motivated like I used to be.

How have you been?

Hi, Dani! I was hoping this was you too! I loved reading your update! I'll have to track you down on FB now...I LOVE that place! :D

To answer your question. I'm sure you'll get lots of opinions, here's mine! I don't see a problem with it. Yes, they may be filled with stuff you wouldn't normally put into your body (the 'fake stuff" we call it in my house). But they're convenient, they keep you on track, they satisfy the sweet tooth (for me, anyway), and they are super easy to take along. What I personally have done with bars is gotten to a point where I'm eating 'all raw' and/or organic bars. I love Lara Bars as well as ThinkOrganic bars....all natural raw ingredients with no added 'fake stuff'. If I want to balance it out with a bit more protein, I simply add a single l/f cheese stick or 2 egg whites (whatever I might be able to grab and take along). I still have to be careful with these bars, because they can (and HAVE) triggered binges for me, but that's an issue I deal with that may not effect you.

Anyway..................SO GLAD TO SEE you here and to hear your update!

Hi, Dani! I was hoping this was you too! I loved reading your update! I'll have to track you down on FB now...I LOVE that place! :D

To answer your question. I'm sure you'll get lots of opinions, here's mine! I don't see a problem with it. Yes, they may be filled with stuff you wouldn't normally put into your body (the 'fake stuff" we call it in my house). But they're convenient, they keep you on track, they satisfy the sweet tooth (for me, anyway), and they are super easy to take along. What I personally have done with bars is gotten to a point where I'm eating 'all raw' and/or organic bars. I love Lara Bars as well as ThinkOrganic bars....all natural raw ingredients with no added 'fake stuff'. If I want to balance it out with a bit more protein, I simply add a single l/f cheese stick or 2 egg whites (whatever I might be able to grab and take along). I still have to be careful with these bars, because they can (and HAVE) triggered binges for me, but that's an issue I deal with that may not effect you.

Anyway..................SO GLAD TO SEE you here and to hear your update!

Hi Gayle!!! Thank you so much!! :D You're so sweet!!

Also, thank you for the advice on protien bars. This week I've been eating the EAS Advantage Edge Carb Control ones. The Peanut butter chocolate is so good. I like the idea of the organic ones. I wonder if I have to check out the Organic section of the grocery store to find those.

Oh, yes! I'll send you my fb link! :)

I would choose real food over these, but using them occasionally shouldn't be a problem. I wouldn't recommend having them as lunch on a daily basis, though. Many of them are not much better than candy bars, and most of them are highly processed.

I would choose real food over these, but using them occasionally shouldn't be a problem. I wouldn't recommend having them as lunch on a daily basis, though. Many of them are not much better than candy bars, and most of them are highly processed.

Hi Kathryn! :) That's what I was thinking too. It's so easy to just grab one every day and they make me feel full too. But, I have also read they are just like a candy bar. It's not easy to find something around 200 calories that actually makes me feel full all day.

It's easy to make a big bunch of homemade protein bars out of real food and put them in the freezer or refridgerator until used. I use a ratio of about 1 cup protein powder, 2 cups grated apples or carrots, 1 cup tahini or other nut butter, 1 cup oats, plus a little dried fruit (any kind), any seeds and/or nuts, psyllium husks, wheat germ, with honey and spices to taste. You can use about any proportions and mixes of ingredients. Mix all this up until it's a sticky texture and let it set a few hours. Make bar shapes with your hands or a spoon. I dry them out in a food dehydrator, but you could use the lowest heat in an oven. Let them get to a stiff, chewy texture. When they're cool, put them in plastic bags. Everyone that's tried them loves them and finds them much better than commercial protein bars.

It's easy to make a big bunch of homemade protein bars out of real food and put them in the freezer or refridgerator until used. I use a ratio of about 1 cup protein powder, 2 cups grated apples or carrots, 1 cup tahini or other nut butter, 1 cup oats, plus a little dried fruit (any kind), any seeds and/or nuts, psyllium husks, wheat germ, with honey and spices to taste. You can use about any proportions and mixes of ingredients. Mix all this up until it's a sticky texture and let it set a few hours. Make bar shapes with your hands or a spoon. I dry them out in a food dehydrator, but you could use the lowest heat in an oven. Let them get to a stiff, chewy texture. When they're cool, put them in plastic bags. Everyone that's tried them loves them and finds them much better than commercial protein bars.

Hi there. Wow, this sounds really, really good!! I'm going to give this a try. Thank you so much!

:)

Along the same lines can anyone recommend some good protein bars? Some are so overloaded with sugar and others just taste bad and have the texture of caulk.

Along the same lines can anyone recommend some good protein bars? Some are so overloaded with sugar and others just taste bad and have the texture of caulk.

The EAS Advantage Edge is really good. (peanut butter chocolate)
it had a better taste and texture than any other I've tried.

I like Jay Robb's bars and Greens+ brand.

Also I've tried Element Bars and really like them. You go to the website and design your own bar that they make for you and ship out. You choose exactly what goes into the bar. www.elementbars.com

It depends on what is in them. Some are made with soy and that can raise your estrogen level and make it harder to lose weight. But, hey, if you are seeing a loss and aren't hungry, why not? If the processed/chemicals bother you then its not too hard to make your own. I have seen some reasonable looking home made protein bar recipes. I would use the least processed whey protein myself and a little bit of agave if you need sweetness. I know that seems like "another darn thing to do" but usually these are very simple easy recipes and you can just cut them up and put them in a snack size ziploc for easy carrying.

These are really good. I used to make them and keep them in the freezer and eat them for breakfast with a cup of milk. Haven't made them in awhile. Think I'll whip up a batch. I leave out the spirulina because I can't find it in non-supplement form. I also use flaxseed meal instead of whole flaxseeds.

ENERGY SUSTAINING BREAKFAST BARS (by Sara Snow)
This recipe was inspired from a diet recipe for breakfast bars. I took that recipe and turned it upside down, added fiber, protein, antioxidants and lots of healthy goodness. These are incredibly easy to make and keep on hand for grab-and-go mornings.

INGREDIENTS
2 ½ cups old fashioned organic quick oats
½ cup whole flax seed
¼ cup organic dark cocoa power (or slightly less)
½ cup natural peanut butter
½ cup honey
½ t spirulina
½ - 1 cup HOT water
INSTRUCTIONS
Stir ingredients together.
Form into individual sized paddies, like hamburgers.
Wrap in plastic wrap and keep in freezer or fridge.

These are really good. I used to make them and keep them in the freezer and eat them for breakfast with a cup of milk. Haven't made them in awhile. Think I'll whip up a batch. I leave out the spirulina because I can't find it in non-supplement form. I also use flaxseed meal instead of whole flaxseeds.

This recipe was inspired from a diet recipe for breakfast bars. I took that recipe and turned it upside down, added fiber, protein, antioxidants and lots of healthy goodness. These are incredibly easy to make and keep on hand for grab-and-go mornings.

INGREDIENTS
½ cup whole flax seed
½ cup honey
½ t spirulina
½ - 1 cup HOT water
INSTRUCTIONS

I have made these and MAN are they GOOD! Just *try* to stop eating them! I dare ya!
:D:D:D

INGREDIENTS
½ cup whole flax seed
½ cup honey
½ t spirulina
½ - 1 cup HOT water
INSTRUCTIONS
Those look good! (I'm thinking of my own tweaks, like raw almond butter instead of peanut butter, raw cacao powder, whole chia instead of flax, throwing in some goji berries and some hemp seeds...)

I like to roll things like that into balls instead of making patties or bars out of them.

Those look good! (I'm thinking of my own tweaks, like raw almond butter instead of peanut butter, raw cacao powder, whole chia instead of flax, throwing in some goji berries and some hemp seeds...)

I like to roll things like that into balls instead of making patties or bars out of them.

...... and add some coconut shreds - perfection!!!! :)

Slightly off topic: Kathryn re: chia seeds. Is there any benefit to grinding them into meal/powder like you would flax seeds? Or are we capable of digesting all the chia goodness from the seeds themselves? I've been using them in my shakes and was wondering about this...

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.