Protein after weight lifting workouts

rachel132

Cathlete
I am under the impression that it is important to eat protein immediately after a weight lifting workout. Something to the affect of the muscles need that protein right away to begin repair and creating new tissue. Is this true? Not sure where I got that from. I workout at 6:00 a.m. and then rush to get DD ready and myself off to work. I usually have a sip of OJ before working out or maybe a bite of watermelon and then eat eggs immediately after. Today, I did disc 23 today and was not able to eat my eggs until I got to work 1 1/2 hours later. Today I was panicking thinking "my muscles need that protein!!!, hurry and eat! or you wasted your workout."

Is that stupid?

Sonja.

Obviously, I am not Cathe here. Just thought I would throw in my two cents. I have heard the same thing, that you should aim to have protein within 1/2 after lifting. Not an expert by any means, but it makes sense to me. I work out at night after dinner, so I just have a glass of low fat milk afterwards to make sure the muscles are "fed" lol.

Kristin

There is also the theory that what one needs immediately post-workout is carbs (to replace muscle glycogen, so that the body moves from catabolic/breaking-down state to anabolic/building-up state as soon as possible). A ratio of something like 2-to-1 carbs to protein (yikes, I'm forgetting!).

Then, have a higher-protein feeding a bit later.

I started having a quick protein shake (whey not casein) post workout (approx 30 grams protein) and 50 grams of carbs (rice cakes w/ honey). You want a quick source of protein and carbs pwo to replenish glycogen stores. It made a big difference for me.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.