Prostate Cancer...

Reese777

Cathlete
Do any of you know anyone that has or had prostate cancer? My father has it (he is almost 76) and it has moved to his pelvis and spine. He is in great pain, and on top of this, he fell Friday night and broke his hip. They had to do surgery Saturday and put a rod in his femur.

I have heard from a couple people that once it moves from the prostate, they do not last long. I know no one can give me anything precise, but I'm trying to gauge how long I have left with him....

Thanks
Lori

(((Lori))) I know what a difficult time this is for you. My grandpa had prostate cancer that had already spread to his spine by the time he was diagnosed in January/February 2005. He passed away on April 29th, 2007 at the age of 74. He had hospice care at home for 9 months, which is a very long time. Everyone is different and there are many treatments and medicines that will help to manage his pain, which helps with quality of life. Be proactive and ask a lot of questions. You and your dad will be in my thoughts and prayers.

I am sorry to hear about your grandfather Lori. I treat many patients with prostate cancer and like Claudia said, everyone is different in the way the cancer grows. Is he going to get some type of treatment? With the pain he is currently experiencing-has the doctor mention radiation? If you have any questions I can try to help you. I have seen many people live alot longer than people have expected. My thoughts are with you.
-Lisa

I am sorry to hear about your grandfather Lori. I treat many patients with prostate cancer and like Claudia said, everyone is different in the way the cancer grows. Is he going to get some type of treatment? With the pain he is currently experiencing-has the doctor mention radiation? If you have any questions I can try to help you. I have seen many people live alot longer than people have expected. My thoughts are with you.
-Lisa

Hi Lisa,

My Dad was taking chemo pills for a short time but recently started intravenous (sp?) treatment. He only got two treatments when he broke his hip though, and they have to discontinue chemo until his surgery incision heals...two weeks minimum? Not sure. He's having a hard time with his leg though. The rod pretty much extends the length of his femur. Now the nurses are concerned with some "confusion" he appears to be exhibiting...do you think this could mean the cancer is in his brain? So much to think about....Thanks for all of your prayers and well wishes.

I am sorry to hear about your Dad, Lori. Both of my Granddads died from advanced prostate cancer. Both lived for 24 and 36 months.

I met a guy at my naturopathic oncologist's office who was diagnosed with stage IV prostate cancer and was told he had only a few months to live. It had spread to several parts of his body, including liver and bones. Not only did he outlive that prediction by 2 years already but there are no tumors detectable by the PETscan anymore. He didn't break anything though.

I am not a big believer in chemotherapy and radiation due to the more than dismal performance if you look behind the media hype and look at actual research but he initially did 6 rounds of chemotherapy, totally changed his diet and has been on several different supplements, including Modified Citrus Pectin which in several trials has shown to slow the growth of prostate cancer
http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/82455.php
http://www.mskcc.org/mskcc/html/69327.cfm

Don't expect that your Dad's conventional oncologist will know about this, let alone recommend it. From my own experience I can tell you that information travels slowly to oncologists' offices, particulary when it comes to treatments outside of chemo and radiation. Some large cancer centers may be the exception to that.

I don't think there are any guarantees but also no certainties when it comes to cancer, no matter what stage, no matter if conventional or alternative medicine.

The only advice I can give you, become an informed / empowered patient, don't take everything that the doctor tells you at face value and become an advocate for your Dad, because speaking from my experience if the patient or their loved ones don't, no one else will.

Books that I would highly recommend are

• Cancer Step Outside the Box by Ty Bollinger
  • Alternative Medicine Magazine's Definite Guide to Cancer by Lise Aschuler (Dr. Aschuler was a doctor for Cancer Treatment Centers of America and is now a partner at my oncologist's office although she is not treating me)
  • Comprehensive Cancer Care: Integrating Complementary, Alternative and Conventional Therapies by James Gordon
Sending you and your family much love and comfort!

Last edited:
I am so very sorry about your father. I went through almost the exact same thing with my dad about 2 years ago.

His cancer started out as bladder cancer and then moved to his spine and pelvis area. They were able to control the bladder cancer for about 10 years, but once it appeared in his bones, he was gone in about 5 months.

He also had a rod inserted in his femur so that it wouldn't break. His worst lesion was in that area, and they were afraid of what would happen if it broke, so they did the surgery to place the rod as a stabalizer even though they knew the cancer was terminal. From the time he had the rod inserted until his death was about 6 weeks.

Many prayers to you, your father and your family. I know how tough this time is and I hope you have good quality time with him now.

My father has prostate cancer. He was diagnosed in September 2006. It had spread to his the nodes in his neck and his bone when we has diagnosed. He has been doing fine. He's 63 and has just started exercising and is feeling a lot better.I'm not sure what the prognois is, but I hope here is around for a long time.
Lorrie

So sorry you have to go through this Lori. I don't know anything about prostate cancer but just wanted to let you know that you and your Dad will be in my prayers.

Hi-

I am sorry that you and your family are going through this. My father had prostate cancer that had metastsized (?sp) into his bones. He was in tremendous pain sometimes, but he lived for 3 years after his diagnosis. He ended up having to have quite a few blood transfusions - about every 2 weeks for the last 6 months or so. He died in Nov. 2003. He was one of those those types who didn't want to slow down so he kept trying to do as much as he could up until he went to the hospital for the last time. If you have any questions feel free to ask. Take care.

CC

My dad had prostate cancer back in '92 when I was a senior in high school. It was caught early and my dad went through surgery and radiation. It came back several years later, but radiation took care of it. It was lung cancer that took his life 2 years ago -- he was a heavy smoker for years and years. So cancer took him away from us -- but not prostate cancer.

The only lasting side effect from the prostate cancer was ED (not that he talked about that with me...) But when it's the ability to "perform" or your life, we all know what we'd choose (well, hopefully!)

Take care!

Updates

Thank you all for your kind words and hugs and prayers...

I was shocked to learn today that my Mom went to see Dad in the hospital and he did not know her. She said he talked jibberish and thought he had a stroke. She questioned the doctors and nursing staff and they believe the cancer is in his brain now.

I wasn't sure if my Mom was reading it all clearly but I called him when I got home and he didn't seem to know me either, which was very heart breaking. (He was FINE on Monday!)

I am thinking he will go soon now....

I so sorry you are going through so much heartbreak, Lori. I really hope this is just a temporary occurance due to surgery.

I will be keeping you and your family in my thoughts ((((((Lori)))))

Do any of you know anyone that has or had prostate cancer? My father has it (he is almost 76) and it has moved to his pelvis and spine. He is in great pain, and on top of this, he fell Friday night and broke his hip. They had to do surgery Saturday and put a rod in his femur.

I have heard from a couple people that once it moves from the prostate, they do not last long. I know no one can give me anything precise, but I'm trying to gauge how long I have left with him....

Thanks
Lori

Lori: My dad started out w/prostate cancer about 6 years ago. Had the prostate removed. His PSA(?)level still read around .2. in 2006 he was diagnosed w/ lung cancer that spread to his ribs, spine, and brain. He was in a lot of pain too w/ his spine. He had a type of cement inserted between his vertebre which did eleviate the pain. He did pass away in August of 2007. He died roughly 11 months after the lung diagnosis, it was a blessing (he was finally out of pain) and a heartache (he was only 73). Just enjoy everyday w/ him. You are in my prayers {{{{HUGS}}} Kay

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.