Proper form for Romanian Deadlift

MelanieC

Cathlete
I’ve been doing deadlifts with Cathe’s workouts for years and I‘ve always wondered if I’m doing them properly. So I finally looked it up and found this great video I thought I’d share with fellow Cathletes, since I believe the deadlifts Cathe is showing us in her workouts is the Romanian deadlift:

let me know what you all think! next time I do deadlifts with Cathe I’m going to really make sure I’ve got proper alignment.

MelanieC

This is a good video, doing dead lifts with bad form can give all kinds of back issues especially when you use heavy weight.

I was having trouble with dead lifts where I kept getting pain on the left side of my lower back. I have an ActivMotion Glimpse bar (which is a 4ft, 4.5lb steel bar half full of ball bearings and a window so you can see the balls, kind of like a spirit level for your body), and used this to check my form. Turns out I was twisting slightly through the hips and I really need to concentrate on keeping my right hip back. As my right hip was coming forward it was putting strain on the left side of my lower back. I also need to bend through the knees more to achieve this as I have tight hamstrings. Since correcting my form I haven't had any further back issues.

What do you guys think of the way she "snaps" up to stand after bending over? Cathe always has smooth movements and tells us NOT to hyper-extend at the end of the move; however, I see a lot of people do this "snap" up and hyper-extend.

What do you guys think of the way she "snaps" up to stand after bending over? Cathe always has smooth movements and tells us NOT to hyper-extend at the end of the move; however, I see a lot of people do this "snap" up and hyper-extend.

I tend to go with what Bret Contreras advises for DLs and squats. In this case he says to do a posterior glute squeeze at the top of the DL for superior glute activation, but he shows it being a MUCH smoother movement than the "snap" shown by the woman in the above video. To each her own and listen to your body but I have really felt a difference following Bret's tips. Also no back pain when done this way, at least not for me.

I wondered about this too - but I think that she wasn't necessarily an expert on the move because at one point the instructor had to correct her on how she was holding her head.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.