Problem streaming cathelive

Pippadog1

Cathlete
Hi

I was up for doing the Cathe live total weights class today and it was stalling all the way through. I tried it on aol and google and it did it on both. I had to give up in the end. I've never had problems before. I use other streaming sites with no issue, please advise.

Laura

Problem with Cathe Live

Sorry you're having a problem. We really haven't had any reports of problems today and we haven't seen any problems with server load. I just tested a video on Cathe Live and it played fine. When it comes to pauses and stalls 95% of all issues occur in what is called "the last mile of the transmission" which is something we have no control over. The main causes of problems in the last mile are your ISP connection speed, wireless, and your computer related issues.

What you need to do is a speed test when you have an issue on a site like Speedtest.net by Ookla - The Global Broadband Speed Test This will tell you and us what your download speed is at the time you ran the test. Not having enough bandwidth is the number one reason for pausing and stalls. Your bandwidth can vary based on network traffic in your area, so it's important to do a test at the same time you're having an issue.

Also, to help you we need to know what kind of device or computer you're using? Browser type and version is also helpful as is the operating system of your computer.

Also, is this the first time you have tried Cathe Live? Have you ever been able to watch a Cathe Live video before? Did you try our test page?

Lastly, Not sure what you meant by you tried on AOL and Google? Google is a website, not an ISP and I'm not sure if AOL is even an ISP anymore.

But if you can get back to us with your load speed and any other information we will try to help you.

Last edited:
Google Fiber

We're very familiar with Google Fiber,but I doubt that's the case here or what the person is referring to. Google fiber is only in a very few "test" areas right now, but if you're lucky enough to have it you love how easy and smooth streaming is. In a few years Google Fiber and like services will be very common.

Hi

I was up for doing the Cathe live total weights class today and it was stalling all the way through. I tried it on aol and google and it did it on both. I had to give up in the end. I've never had problems before. I use other streaming sites with no issue, please advise.

Laura

I had the same issue last Friday while trying to stream the Hi/Lo cardio core. It kept pausing & buffering so much that I finally gave up doing the workout. My wifi strength was good and I've never had this much trouble before so I posted a question to SNM and was told everything on their end was fine. So, why are some of us still having issues with streaming?

ISP is Xfinity
Download speed is 20.35
Upload speed is 5.84
Dell laptop running windows 7 and Chrome browser
Connected via high speed HDMI cable
Asus RT-N56U N900 dual band router
Been streaming for 2 months and worked fine in the past

Last edited:
Last Friday

At any given time there will always be somebody that has an issue somewhere for various reasons. This is true for streaming as well as general web access. It's even true for DVDs too. Ustream might have had an issue or it could have been a problem with Xfinity or a faulty switcher somewhere along the path on the web - who knows?

We only had one report at that time of a problem and when we tested everything was fine. Usually, if there is a problem on our end it will affect everyone, but when it is a problem affecting only a few people it's usually something further down the pipe that we have no control over.

If you have a problem you want to do exactly what you did by listing the information about your device and connection, but you need to do the speed test at the time of the problem . This can help us resolve issues when they happen. I'm assuming you only had a problem last Friday and now are ok?

Last edited:
I'm assuming you only had a problem last Friday and now are ok?

I haven't tried streaming since last Friday. I'll give it another try this week and if I encounter the same issues, I'll do another speed test at that time and let you know what I come up with.

Comcast

Thanks, that will be helpful. I very familiar with Comcast as Cathe's kids always call me when their online video game their playing gets interrupted or becomes too slow. With Comcast you're usually hooked up to a node in your neighborhood. When more people start using the internet in your neighborhood your download speed can drop dramatically. Sometimes it drops so low even a simple web page can take a long time to load. Not saying this was your problem last week, but it is a common problem I've seen in our area with Comcast. Doing a speed test when you have an issue can help to rule this in or out as the problem.

Last edited:
SNM: I streamed the High Intensity Step workout this morning with no issues. Also ran a speed test just to see how it compared to the last one.

Download 10.54
Upload 5.84

The download speed dropped nearly in half from the test yesterday. I understand there may be a number of factors at work here but could it also be that I'm too far away from the router? Thanks for your help!

To the original OP...sorry to take over your post. Hope your streaming issues are solved.

Comcast

At 10 mbps you're just barely able to stream HD video and I wouldn't be surprised if you would have had pauses and stalls at 10 mbps. If your download speed drops much lower than this, which it might with Comcast, you will definitely have issues. I would suggest contacting Comcast and tell them what you're seeing and see if they can take a look at your network. Back when I had Comcast drops in download speed like your were very common. Curtis still has Comcast and says Comcast has gotten a lot better at preventing problems like this. But that could just be in his area, not yours.

Being too far away from a router is also not good and yes it can cause issues. I would also suggest taking more readings throughout the day so you will have more information to give Comcast.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.