prilosec

Sissy1983

Cathlete
anyone know if this is safe to take during pregnancy? i am still in my first trimester, almost my second, i have just been taking it as needed. just curious if anyone has got the "ok" from the ob gyn?

melissa

Melissa - I suffer from GERD, so my doctor still has me on Prevacid - once daily. They did take me off of it in the beginning but decided to put me back on. I will not be able to take it while I am breastfeeding though because it is passed through the milk and they aren't sure how it affects the baby since there really hasn't been any research done on it. I was told though that I could take Pepcid and Zantac without any trouble but I'll probably still stear clear of those as well when I'm breastfeeding.. Prilosec is in the same family as Prevacid (acid pump inhibitors) so I would assume they would treat it the same as Prevacid and prefer that you not take it unless necessary. It's something you will have to work out with your doc.

so i called my obgyn and they didnt recommend it, she said zantac or tums. maybe cause i am still in my first timester idk. but latley i havent needed it anyway.

How did I miss a drug question?! :eek:

First line of therapy for heartburn is Tums, if that doesn't work it's a h2 antagonists---Zantac is safest in pregnancy, if that doesn't work a PPI is warranted ---Prevacid is safest in pregnancy.

Prilosec (omeprazole) is category C in pregnancy. Prevacid (lansoprazole) is category B in pregnancy.

Also, lifestyle changes help with reflux/heartburn. Examples are not lying down 30 minutes after eating, sleeping at 30 degree angle, staying away from foods that contain tomatoes, drinks with caffeine.

I hope your heartburn is improving. :)

Melanie - I'm really glad you posted that because my drug company just made me switch to Omeprazole because it is "cheaper" than Prevacid. I'm going to call my Dr. tomorrow and tell her to get me my Prevacid prescription back. In the meantime, I'll just take Zantac and hope that keeps things under control.

Your insurance company will pay for it, with your condition.....your doctor will need to fill out the paperwork for a prior authroization. :)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.