Precision Nutrition results

andilynn67

Cathlete
I can't remember who was ordering this , but if you did how do you like it? What results are you getting, ease of use etc.... Thanks in Advance;)

I got the new program at the end of January. It wasn't released until then. I just started looking at it last night. I have been reading Tom Venuto's book.

To be honest PN seems to be very healthy but in my opinion not realistic (at least for me). I am not a big veggie eater. If I eat veggies 2x a day I'm happy. He wants you to eat 2-3 servings of veggies at each meal (avg amt of meals 5-that is 10-15 servings a day) That is way too many veggies for me. Definitely not something I can stick to. You also can only have starchy foods right after a workout. ( that even means legumes). Although I find that would be easier to stick to than all those veggies. He does give you full meal plans and lays it out to make it easier. And tips on how to prepare food in advance.

You are allowed to go off 10% of the time. If you eat 35 meals a week, 3-4 meals/wk can be off. This doesn't mean free for all. It also means if you don't eat veggies for one of the meals this is included in the 10%. There are some good points to the plan but to me it is way too strict. I like Tom Venuto's book. I think it is more realistic for someone who loves not so healthy food.

I still have to get through the whole book. I'm sure this plan works great if you can stick to it. I am not sure if he gives any tips for those who love food.

I hope this helps.
chrissy

he does also say, for some doing some of the guidelines a little at a time can help. But your results will be much slower. Pick one or 2 things to work on each week, so it won't seem overwhelming.

Hi. I'm not the person you were thinking of, but here's my $.02 anyway. :)

I've been following PN since December, and am quite pleased with the results so far. Haven't weighed myself lately, so I can't report much on that aspect. I can report that my pants are much, much looser than they were. :eek: What I notice most is a huge increase in my energy level. I just feel better, and my workouts have definitely improved (stronger, increased endurance).

Before starting PN, I suspected I was pretty intolerant of starchy carbs. Although I still crave them some days (and give in on occasion;)), I think that restricting them to post-workout has made a huge difference in how my body tolerates them. Don't feel sluggish, like I used to. Don't have the hypoglycemic episodes, like I used to. Yes, it's a lot of veggies, but I've gotten used to it and now it's not a big deal. I do end up using a greens supplement with one or two meals per day, which is an easy fix. (I just can't figure out a good way to work veggies into my morning yogurt :confused:)

I'm definitely not 90% compliant. Fortunately, you can modify PN to suit your goals. Right now, I try for 85% compliance. It's a more reasonable goal, for me, and I'm still feel like I'm getting results.

On the whole, I'm very happy with PN, and plan to continue. I'm on week one of STS, and I can already tell that PN will be a crucial to surviving the STS experience. It does seem straight-forward, on the surface, but that doesn't mean it's easy.

Beth- So you don't actually follow it 100%, and it is still working. That is good. I know it is definitely a great and healthy way to eat. I just don't think I could pull it off. I love food and not a big veggie eater.

Before you started did you eat alot of veggies or did you work your way up to that amount? Do you really enjoy eating veggies? There are only maybe 10 or so veggies that I can eat. I think I would get sick of eating so many.

Thanks for replying.

chrissy

Are you allowed lo-fat dairy i.e skim milk and yogurt on this plan? I noticed in some info that was emailed to me that he said he did not have dairy in his fridge?! I'm a yogurt addict , I don't think I could live without it! LOL :)

Beth- So you don't actually follow it 100%, and it is still working. That is good. I know it is definitely a great and healthy way to eat. I just don't think I could pull it off. I love food and not a big veggie eater.

Before you started did you eat alot of veggies or did you work your way up to that amount? Do you really enjoy eating veggies? There are only maybe 10 or so veggies that I can eat. I think I would get sick of eating so many.

Thanks for replying.

chrissy

Hi, Chrissy. I was definitely not a big veggie eater before PN. I knew I should be eating more, but found excuses to keep from eating them. I think it was laziness mostly. I'm not sure there are even 10 on my list of favorites! :D For me, it's spinach, broccoli, carrots, bell peppers, cabbage, onions...cauliflower...hmm...that may be about it. Wow, that is dull! :eek: Oh, and I've learned to like asparagus. I get tired of eating them the same way all of the time. I've learned to mix it up alot as far as preparation. Roasting veggies is my favorite method, at the moment. I'm pretty sure I don't hit 10 servings everyday, but I think I'm close. It helps that a PN considers one serving equal to 1/2 cup.

When I first started, I was really hung up on trying to follow the program to perfection. What I've noticed is that most of the folks who shoot for 90% compliance or higher are serious, hardcore athletes, figure/bodybuilding competitors, and the like. It may give faster results, but that definitely isn't me.

You can probably find enough info at their website (if you haven't already) so you can try out the concepts for awhile before investing any money. Hope this helps.

Are you allowed lo-fat dairy i.e skim milk and yogurt on this plan? I noticed in some info that was emailed to me that he said he did not have dairy in his fridge?! I'm a yogurt addict , I don't think I could live without it! LOL :)

No milk. Plain yogurt is good, but cottage cheese tends to be used more since it is lower in carbs. That took some getting used to, for me. :) Like you, I'm more of a yogurt addict.

Cutting out milk has been tough for me. I'll still use small amounts sometimes, but nowhere near what I was drinking before.

No milk. Plain yogurt is good, but cottage cheese tends to be used more since it is lower in carbs. That took some getting used to, for me. :) Like you, I'm more of a yogurt addict.

Cutting out milk has been tough for me. I'll still use small amounts sometimes, but nowhere near what I was drinking before.

I can deal with the cottage cheese, I eat that all the time but I still might need a glass of skim milk every now and then, I drink a glass every am with some sugar free chocolate syrup ( which I'm pretty sure is not on PN)!

I really like the cookbooks -- esp. v. 2. A lot of the recipes are really good -- my 15 yr. old DDs even like most of them. I just adapt them to reasonably feed four people.

HTH!

I was the one asking some time back about PN. I'm in a kind of fiscal crunch until the end of next month so I didn't get it - though I plan to. If you get on Berardi's mailing list he sends you a lot of info to sort of prepare you for what PN is. I never heard about the dairy thing, use skim milk in my cereal every morning, and despise cottage cheese. So the dairy adjustments should be... interesting. However, I already knew about the vegetables. Berardi even said in one of his T-Nation articles that he sneaks spinach into his smoothies. Oh boy. But the poster who said she's gotten used to all the vegetables is right. You really do. I have a lunch and three breaks at work and eat vegetables before anything else on each break, usually double servings on two breaks. I never TOUCHED vegetables before but I've developed a real taste for them. They fill you up, so you eat less junk, they're low in calories (mostly). It's like anything else. If you can just stick with it until it becomes habit you're golden.

Precision Nutirition mini review

Though the original question was about the effectiveness of the program itself, I thought those who are interested in this topic might also be interested in what is the Precision Nutrition package.

I just received Precision Nutrition yesterday and finished reading it (except for the cookbook). In the last two weeks or so, I have been (somewhat obsessively) reading Berardi's work. I read his book Metabolism Advantage (You can read a good chunk of it here:
http://books.google.com/books?id=dU...etabolism+advantage&ei=vMaWSaSwK4HCzgSaz_TzCQ)
as well as many of his articles both at www.johnberardi.com and those at other places (like T-nation etc.) that I reached though www.precisionnutrition.com (but can be directly accessed).

So here is my conclusion: his advice is sound but the package itself contains collectively far far far less information than I already gathered freely on the web about his approach. (e.g. I found an article yesterday in which he was describing how to measure your insulin sensitivity using various methods including an at home blood test. This in turn is useful to adjust your carb intake in a way he describes in the article. In contrast, the package does not even talk about adjusting carb intake according to insulin sensitivity let alone talking about measuring insulin sensitivity.)

I honestly think that the book had a lot more useful information than the package about the basics of his approach. For details, articles are a lot more useful. The only benefit of paying for the package is that it gets you 1) unlimited access to his forum so that (i) finding articles (that are already available freely somewhere on the web) is less time consuming, (ii) you get access to a lot fit people who follow his approach, and they can answer any questions you may have; 2) Gourmet Cookbook v1 which is not sold separately as far as I know (I didn't read it yet, but it looks good.)

Last edited:

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.