Pre-Workout Meal aside from protein shake

nspire

Cathlete
Does anyone have any good suggestions for pre-workout meals aside from protein shakes? I have nothing against protein shakes, I just want something in it's more natural state.

Sometimes, if I am hungry before a workout, I will have a tablespoon of peanut butter and a glass of low-fat milk. I find it gives me enough protein to get me through.

I wanted to post this...
I want to try this banana, peanut butter, strawberry(or blueberries) breakfast taco. I think it would be too heavy pre-workout for me but I want to try it post-workout.:)

Craig Ballantyne is eating a vegetarian diet for a month. He posted this on his blog. It looks like a really tasty breakfast!!!

ry%3D400

Last edited:
Cynthia, I have this-without the berries-for my post workout snack a lot! I use La Tortilla Factory's low carb ww tortillas-50 calories and 5 g of protein and 7 g of fiber. It's so good:)

If you have a heavy duty blender (one that will deal with veggies well, like a Vitamix), you can blend a banana, a couple of stalks of celery, and enough water to make the thickness you want. Also makes a good post-workout electrolyte replacement drink.

I am working on taking my certiifed personal trainer exam and one of the essay questions was about this. Here is what I answered (I used this solely from my curriculum during the course!)

"Pre-exercise nutrition can help the client maintain even levels of blood sugar and prevent early fatigue. The client should consume a low-fat, high carbohydrate diet daily. This will help maintain adequate glycogen stores in the muscles and liver. The client should avoid foods high in fat and protein before working out.

If the client is exercising less than an hour, good carbohydrate choices include bagels, plain or toasted bread, crackers, plain pasta and bananas. If the client is exercising longer than an hour, good choices are bananas, oatmeal and apples because they have a low glycemic index. Carbohydrates eaten well in advance of a workout can fuel the client’s performance as exercise intensity dictates, as a result of glycogen being stored in the muscle or liver. Foods with a low glycemic index rating eaten about an hour before a workout are digested enough to be used as fuel.

If a client wishes to eat a snack of simple sugars (such as sodas, candies and sports drinks), the client should consume these snacks about 5 to 10 minutes before exercising. If they consume these snacks less than 15 to 120 minutes before a workout, the client may experience a huge decrease in blood sugar, leaving them feeling exhausted and light-headed. By consuming these snacks 5 to 10 minutes prior to working out, the time span is probably too short to allow insulin to be secreted from the pancreas into the bloodstream and lower their blood sugar"

I haven't gotten a grade on this, but it was taken from the study materials. Hope this helps!!

Julie

Cynthia, I have this-without the berries-for my post workout snack a lot! I use La Tortilla Factory's low carb ww tortillas-50 calories and 5 g of protein and 7 g of fiber. It's so good:)

I need to find La Tortilla Factory tortillas. I'm not sure who carries them locally. Do you think a whole food market would carry them?

I have a few of Alywn Cosgrove's books and he seems to love mixing blueberries with peanut butter. I need to try the two together. I'm really weird about mixing flavors. I like my flavors separated:p but I realize I need to explore more.

Our Costco carries La Tortilla Factory tortillas now ! :D Way cheap too !

You can go to their website and find local stores that carry them. I had to do that once before Costco helped me out !

Our Costco carries La Tortilla Factory tortillas now ! :D Way cheap too !

You can go to their website and find local stores that carry them. I had to do that once before Costco helped me out !

I've never seen them at my Costco. I'll have to look. I went to La Tortilla's website and searched for a store in my area and nothing came up:(
I can buy them online. I wonder if I bought the 10 pack, I could freeze them and thaw them as needed?

me too!!! i LOVE this post-workout snack!!! looking forward to a banana after a workout really helps power me through. i think of them as the "junk food" of the fruit world ;-)

cynthia, i dont know if you have any near you but the grocery chain hannafords also carries them.

I will eat a banana. It is quick and makes my belly feel full instead of sloshing around. I used to not eat anything, however, the older I get , the easier I get nausiated when I do cardio. Melissa

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.