Pre-ordered early but sustained an injury...

KrazyforTris

I found out about 6 weeks ago that I have a DETACHED labrum in my shoulder (part of the rotator cuff). My orthopedist has forbidden me to do any lifting until I recover from surgery -- which while this sounds like it's crazy won't happen until May with anticipated full recovery of 6 months to a year. Apparently I can live with the injury but it needs surgery if I'm ever to lift weights, swim, or do push-ups/pull-ups or any other upper body strength training.

So now I get to read all of your excitement & read the oh so tempting blog updates but I am having a hard time sharing in it.

Yes, I came here to post for sympathy. I'm so bummed & so jealous.

I'm sorry too. That stinks. Sending you well wishes and prayers. Hope you have a speedy and safe recovery.

Farrah

I'm sorry for your injury too. However, it may not be all so gloom and doom. My doctor gave me the worst case scenario and it hasn't been as bad he described. I'm about 2.5 months post surgery from a torn labrum (bicep tendon torn away from the bone). I too could not do upper body weight workout prior to surgery. About a month post surgery I was given the ok to do some bicep and tricep work. After 2 months was given the ok to do full upper body workouts with light weights "as tolerated". I also was told it would be a 4-6 month full rehab period. I'm not quite fully rehabed, still have some limited range of motion, and can't lift as heavy as I did last summer, but it's coming along. I hope your surgery and recovery goes as well. I'm also sorry it'll be till May until your surgery as the discomfort/pain prior to surgery was a "pain". Best wishes, Deb

Sorry to hear about your injury. You're not alone in having to wait to do STS. I'm 3 months pregnant, so unless there is a major delay in producing the workouts, I'll have to deal with them sitting on the shelf for awhile :(.

Hope your surgery and recovery go well.

lisa

Sorry to hear about your injury. I'm sort of in the same boat, but with a different injury. Three weeks ago I injured my back and found out I have one bulging disc and one ruptured disc in my lower back (like one bad disc wasn't enough). Right now I can't even do a Leslie Sansome DVD, let alone lift weights. I suspect my heavy lifting days are over, so I'm debating whether I should just cancel my pre-order.

Good luck with your surgury. Try to stay positive (easier said than done, I know). A positive additude can only help in your recovery.

Take Care,
Shelbygirl

Sorry about your injury. I really understand how you are feeling right now. I had a total tear of my supraspinatus rotator cuff and had surgery in June '06 to reattach it. I started PT immediately and used an electric chair that would raise & lower my arm 6-8 hours/day. It was a slow recovery but with each improvement I became less discouraged. I remember how excited I was when I advanced to lifting a tuna can for front raises:D Fast forward to today and I am lifting heavier, doing full pushups, looking forward to pullups and have restored my ROM to 99%. You just have to be smarter about lifting and listen to your "shoulder". If something doesn't feel right, stop! My biggest complaint now is that my shoulder will "catch" which my surgeon explained as the surtures used to tie down the cuff to the bone will catch on my tendon..pull.. then roll off. Feels weird but apparently is normal.

Don't dispair...you can come back from this. Just be faithful to your PT exercises and listen to your body.

JJ

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.