Powerblocks vs Selectech dumbells

Amni

Cathlete
I'm interested in purchasing either one of these products and am wondering if anyone here owns either and what they like/dislike about them? Now that I've received STS I need to increase my weights and thought that adjustable dumbells are exactly what I need. Any help would be appreciated.

Amni,

I have the Selectech dumbbells and I love them, they are great in that they save me from having to pull all sorts of various weighted dumbbells out. Other than jumping to Cathe as my fitness leader, getting these was the smartest fitness decision I've ever made.

I haven't heard of Powerblocks so I can't help you there. I do have the SelectTech dumbells though. I bought them last month when I started Chalean Extreme. She uses them in the workout and I thought they were pretty neat. I think they were a good investment since I'll need heavier weights and weights in half pound increments when I start STS (after I'm done with my CLX rotation). I really like them so far. They took a little getting used to since they're bulkier than regular dumbbells.

I ordered mine from Amazon and they qualify for the free shipping.

HTH:)

I just looked at the selectTech dumbbells and thought they were huge and clumsy. I decided to invest in a dumbbell set with plate mates instead.

I just looked at the selectTech dumbbells and thought they were huge and clumsy. I decided to invest in a dumbbell set with plate mates instead.

I've had both love the select techs best investment. the powerblocks that i had only went up in 5 lb increments and they were a pain in the a... and time consuming to change weight. would not work with the limit time in STS.

I love my Select Techs. I purchased the 552s (2009 model) for $384 with free shipping on amazon, but I see the price has gone up some since then. Still, I would say they are worth it. They're easy to use. Space-saving. And for me, the added bulk wasn't difficult to adapt to at all.

The PowerBlocks have mostly favorable reviews on amazon, but I'd read elsewhere they were not as easy to adjust and could be potentially dangerous. And I prefer the smaller weight increments of the STs, which are:
5, 7.5, 10, 12.5, 15, 17.5, 20, 22.5, 25, 30, 35, 40, 45, 50, and 52.5 pounds. (The PowerBlocks increments are: 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30, 35, 40, and 45 pounds.)

I love my Select Techs. I purchased the 552s (2009 model) for $384 with free shipping on amazon, but I see the price has gone up some since then. Still, I would say they are worth it. They're easy to use. Space-saving. And for me, the added bulk wasn't difficult to adapt to at all.

The PowerBlocks have mostly favorable reviews on amazon, but I'd read elsewhere they were not as easy to adjust and could be potentially dangerous. And I prefer the smaller weight increments of the STs, which are: 5, 7.5, 10, 12.5, 15, 17.5, 20, 22.5, 25, 30, 35, 40, 45, 50, and 52.5 pounds. (The PowerBlocks increments are: 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30, 35, 40, and 45 pounds.)

I just received an email from Amazon that they are offering $50 off their posted price for these SelectTechs. The final price of $389 is supposed to show up in the cart during checkout, NOT when you first add it to the cart. If you click on Special Offers Available, it explains everything. Free shipping still applies.:)

Here's the link for anyone interested:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...t_shr?_encoding=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&v=glance

HTH!

I have the ST and I use them when I need to but if I had to choose between them and a regular DB I would choose the DB every time. The big con for me is the size. I'm 5'1" and I find them huge and cumbersome. It messes with my form and feels awkward. Mine are older so I don't know if the newer ones are any smaller or not.

I do like the convenience of them and loved the idea of having all you need in one place but if I could do over, I would have invested that money in other DBs . I'll probably give these to DS when he marries and moves out. He likes them. :)

I have the ST and have been using them for at least 3 years (but maybe 5). I am not familiar with the Power Block but have been very happy with the ST. I do still have dumbbells for certain moves like front raises where the ST are a little long and would put my shoulder at a weird angle. But for the most part, I use the ST for 80% of the exercises. I have never been disappointed with the purchase.

Jo

I guess I am a little frugal because I have looked at the ST a bunch of times and where I already have up to 25's in dumbbells, I can't justify the cost!

Amni,

I have the Selectech dumbbells and I love them, they are great in that they save me from having to pull all sorts of various weighted dumbbells out. Other than jumping to Cathe as my fitness leader, getting these was the smartest fitness decision I've ever made.

ditto!
selectech rock! I bought a cheaper version of the Power Blocks & must say that the "BLOCK" just never feels like the weight load is distributed evenly at all. I got rid of them.

I just got the SelectTech 552s for my birthday (I know only my Cathe friends will understand that DH did REALLY good on this one ;)) and am really enjoying them. I am keeping my regular DBs up to 30 lbs so that DH and I can workout together, and I do like being able to choose the smaller dumbbells for the lighter weights.
So far the bulk of the SelectTech looks huge, but you start doing your exercise and they are not getting in the way. The weights change quickly, easily, and quietly. I am very happy to have them.

I waffled between PowerBlocks and SelectTech, and finally went with the ST (weight range 5 - 52.5 lbs; 2.5 lb increments below 20 lbs). On the whole, I'm pleased. They still seem bulky & awkward for some moves (e.g., one arm dumbbell rows) but I'm adjusting. The dial mechanism hasn't been as smooth as I'd like - gets stuck in the cradle, and I have to fiddle with the dials or hit the plates. Anyone else experience that?

The relatively compact size of the PowerBlocks is what attracted me initially. Had a chance to play with them at a local sporting goods store. Found the shape awkward, and didn't like how much they envelope the hand & wrist. Moving the pins to change weight was slow & awkward. Couldn't think of a safe way to use them for overhead extensions (holding the weight with both hands). All I could see was the block slipping out of my hands, and onto my head. :confused: The ST is easy to hold for overhead extensions, but it hits me in the neck & back. Just need to work on form, I guess.

I'd encourage you to play with both, if you can. I probably would have gone with PB if I hadn't looked them over at Scheel's. Think I'd have regretted my choice.

I bought these instead...

Weider PowerSwitch 100 lb. weight set
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00615801000P

from Sears & paid only $289 and that included the stand (found a $5 online Sears coupon & went through Ebates to make my purchase & got an additional $5.99 rebate). Shipping was free because I opted for the in store delivery. I'm thoroughly pleased with them!

Fay

ps. Each dumbell is adjustable from 2.5 - 5 lb. increments up to 50 lbs.

Last edited:
Funny - I prefer ST over Powerblock as well. On the YaYa's site, it seems to be the opposite opinion. I have a cheaper version of the PB and don't like the weight changing mechanism and found the block shape hard to use in certain exercises.

I love the compactness of the ST and the weight changing mechanism. I also like that the stand has wheels so I can push it out of the way when I am doing cardio and wheel it out when doing weights.

I have the SelectTech DBs. Even though they are expensive to start with, they easily paid for themselves within four weeks. I love them and use them almost everyday.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.