power tower trouble

ckanuckel

Cathlete
super excited I got my tower today, but when I got it put together, it's real wobbly. i tightened the bolts as tight as they'll go, what have I done wrong? :(

Nothing is wrong. The Tower is designed to be able to wobble a bit and still be able to handle a weight of 350 lbs.

Mine was a bit wobbly as well, but I tried to do a chin-up (just like Cathe on the STS videos) and it felt solid. I was only able to do 1 like Cathe which I was proud of albeit just 1. Anyhoo, it felt steady and stable. I definitely like the padded bar for your hands. I've been grading a barbell on my squat rack for these excercises and realize now that a padded bar makes gripping much more comfortable.

All the best,

Michele

I put mine up in no time flat and used it for Meso 1 2nd disk....I thought it worked great. It is larger than I was anticipating and I'm thinking of a way to store it or get it out of the way. However, I'm glad I bought it!!! Bobbie

Mine was a bit wobbly as well, but I tried to do a chin-up (just like Cathe on the STS videos) and it felt solid. I was only able to do 1 like Cathe which I was proud of albeit just 1. Anyhoo, it felt steady and stable. I definitely like the padded bar for your hands. I've been grading a barbell on my squat rack for these excercises and realize now that a padded bar makes gripping much more comfortable.

All the best,

Michele

The Tower is designed to have left and right play of about 1/2 inch when no load is applied to it. As you discovered when you apply a load to the Tower by doing a chin up the unit will stabilize by design and have little to no left and right play. The Tower was designed by a very well respected mechanical engineer and was throughly tested by an independent safety lab that tests fitness equipment.The Tower was actually subjected to multiple tests each using loads of 500 lbs which is far greater than anyone should ever use on the Tower. I've used the Tower for about 6 months now with no problems at all.

I have to say Im don't interject much on the form's however, do read many replys. I have to say the comment about the laundry made me laugh hard.

I havent used my tower yet but I'm glad I made the purchase.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure that Cathe would not risk her reputation by marketing something in her name which would be dangerous or substandard.
Just sayin', as I do not have the Tower (wish I did, but shipping to Canada is just way too expensive!)

Last edited:
The Tower is designed to have left and right play of about 1/2 inch when no load is applied to it. As you discovered when you apply a load to the Tower by doing a chin up the unit will stabilize by design and have little to no left and right play. The Tower was designed by a very well respected mechanical engineer and was throughly tested by an independent safety lab that tests fitness equipment.The Tower was actually subjected to multiple tests each using loads of 500 lbs which is far greater than anyone should ever use on the Tower. I've used the Tower for about 6 months now with no problems at all.

I completely agree with you, not a bit of wobble at all when used for chin/pull ups. I, on the other, will likely be wobbling when I finish attempting my chinups and pull-ups the hard way as Cathe does (insert big laugh here)!

Great job. I know I'll get the most out of this equipment as I do with all of Cathe's products.

Best,

Michele

I got my tower yesterday and put it together in no time flat! I was a bit concerned about the "wobble" factor, until I attempted a couple of pullups (with my feet on the floor - NOT Cathe-style). It was solid as a rock. Now I get to look at it for at least another month while I PT my shoulder ...

I did think that it would be easier to take apart and store. I don't know why but I thought it would be something I could fold and slide away - but the ability to do that would make it less sturdy I think. I can make it work in my exercise room. It's light enough that it's easy to move around.

Thank you, Cathe, for another wonderful product. Now, I'm just waiting for the 20 lb vest :)

Just got mine...

I got mine today and have not put it together yet but I am excited to have it. Will let you know how it goes.

I put mine together....so excited to use it! I've just got one more week until I start STS and this time, I don't seem to have injured myself doing the 1RMs...I've just got some legs stuff to do for 1RMs then I'm done! I'll be on that tower in no time.

I got my tower yesterday and immediately put it together.

I definitely suggest putting it together in the room you want it in, as it won't fit through doorways once together.

Anyway, I love it! I already did a few chinups and put my Firm barbell on the clips. It's so great to have something that holds that short barbell. :) Plus now I can store my barbell off the floor when I'm not using it.

The handles were a bonus I didn't expect. :cool: And the cute little screw driver too. (Yeah, I'm pretty easy to impress ;))

I'm very glad I ordered this!

Becky

I definitely suggest putting it together in the room you want it in, as it won't fit through doorways once together.

Haha - I found this out the HARD way - I immediately put it together downstairs and then I couldnt get it UPSTAIRS (narrow stairway) ... so I took the top part off and got it up there but then couldn't get it through the door ... so I took the rest of it apart and just brought the base in and the rest and put it back together in my workout room.... BUT , it is very easy to take apart and put together and the base was the most difficult.

I got my tower put together yesterday, and Yes it wobbles as well. However, I got my 6'3, 215lbs, teenage son to test it. It totally stabilized when he put his weight on it. So then I tried it and it was fine for me as well. So I am perfectly happy with it.

Oh yes, I made him test it first just in case, I figured if he got hurt he would recover much faster than I would. I'm such a great Mom!

Deb

Update

Got my tower put together today and I agree with the wobble factor but once I tried to do the pull-ups it was very stable. I am sooo glad I got it.

I'm grateful for the spring clips which make it easy to take apart and reassemble when I'm ready to use it! I live in a one bedroom apartment and I have no room to store the fully assembled tower in my living room where I work out BUT I can pull out the spring clips and keep the 3 pieces in my bedroom by the door with no problem :cool:

My tower wobbled too, and I was worried until I tried the pullups - I could almost do a cathe one!! :eek: And I was also glad to have something that help my short barbell. I'm completely excited!! However, I don't get to use it until Monday - I'm in Meso 3 and that's my next, and last, chest & back workout. I guess I'll just have to start right over again!!!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.