Poll: Weight Bench Set Up

What's your usual bench set-up?

• Full-size club step as Cathe uses in most dvds

Votes: 10 58.8%
  • Non-adjustable standard flat bench

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Adjustable standard bench (can be made incline/decline)

Votes: 6 35.3%
  • Stability ball only

• Floor only

• Other

Votes: 1 5.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I use my step with the mini mat and as many risers as Cathe is using. This week I’m dialing down the intensity and doing a week of Pvolve. After being in the ER last week with abdominal pain from ovarian cysts, I’m going to play it safe this week. Pvolve has been a great and I’ve done a week here and there when I hurt my knee a few years ago, as well as when I was easing back into exercise after two different ankle sprains.

Full-size step, risers & mini mat for me! I've often thought about an adjustable bench, but
I have too many other "things" and just don't have the room. Step has always worked
great, especially with the universal risers now that fit the step for incline. Pretty quick to
change if needed.

Also, thanks for a poll :) We need something to do while we're waiting................:)

I currently have a Bowflex which has multiple incline degrees, including 1 decline. It easily folds up and rolls to the corner of my workout room, which is great! (Got it a few years back as a Black Friday Sale)

Before that, I had my dad's workout bench from the 80s! It was a bench that connected to weight plates. My family had a garage sale and for some reason someone only wanted to buy the weight plates, not the bench. I had just started exercising at the time and decided to hang on to the bench. I used it for almost 30 years! It was a fixed bench, but I could actually release the pins on 1 side and make it a decline bench. It worked perfectly fine for me for 3 decades. I finally decided to get the Bowflex since it folded up.

I kept my dad's bench from the 80s for a memory.

I currently have a Bowflex which has multiple incline degrees, including 1 decline. It easily folds up and rolls to the corner of my workout room, which is great! (Got it a few years back as a Black Friday Sale)

Before that, I had my dad's workout bench from the 80s! It was a bench that connected to weight plates. My family had a garage sale and for some reason someone only wanted to buy the weight plates, not the bench. I had just started exercising at the time and decided to hang on to the bench. I used it for almost 30 years! It was a fixed bench, but I could actually release the pins on 1 side and make it a decline bench. It worked perfectly fine for me for 3 decades. I finally decided to get the Bowflex since it folded up.

I kept my dad's bench from the 80s for a memory.
Great story! :) Thanks for sharing!

I have a full size step with regular and incline risers. Last year I treated myself to Cathe’s step mat.

We also have a folding bench that adjusts to various angles. It’s quick to set up/adjust/take down and stands upright out of the way when not in use.

DH always uses the bench. I use one or the other but honestly tend towards the step. I think it’s just a Cathe thing.

Editing to add that I also like a Stability Ball as a bench.

Editing to add that I also like a Stability Ball as a bench.
Ever since BodyBlast's Push Pull/SuperSets workout (I originally had them on VHS) I've loved using the stability ball as a bench ... Until I started lifting heavier, then it made me nervous to do a bench press with 20# dumbells over me. Years and years ago, I had a stability ball pop on me when doing some funky cardio VHS workout - always bought better quality balls after that! But am still nervous about heavier dumbells & a stability ball bench ... :rolleyes:

Last edited:
DH and I both use the exercise room. I bought an adjustable weight bench 30 yrs ago. we both still use it . I like that its always ready. the incline adjusts easily. I use it for dips and presses pullovers. I needed back surgery last yr and the cushioned surface is great. It was not expensive and is always ready. we position a cathes weight tower over one end. I can use the step but the uncushioned surface is too hard on my back now to use it regularly. even with towels on it.

Ever since BodyBlast's Push Pull/SuperSets workout (I originally had them on VHS) I've loved using the stability ball as a bench ... Until I started lifting heavier, then it made me nervous to do a bench press with 20# dumbells over me. Years and years ago, I had a stability ball pop on me when doing some funky cardio VHS workout - always bought better quality balls after that! But am still nervous about heavier dumbells & a stability ball bench ... :rolleyes:
Definitely light weights on the Stability Ball and yes, I had the BodyBlady series on VHS before upgrading to DVD. I don’t lift really heavy anymore. I leaned out a whole lot over the last year and my muscles look bigger. Probably all smoke and mirrors but I’m happy to maintain.

I mostly use a step & risers and bought Cathe's step mat too. I had a step with 4 risers, 2 each side but the step surface was uneven. I managed to find another step second hand and got 8 risers with it, so I now use that step and have 12 risers in total. I also have an adjustable bench that folds up, but it is fiddly to unfold and fold and I don't have room to leave it unfolded, so I don't use it that often. If I use a stability ball, then I use lighter weights. I don't feel safe using heavier weights on the ball.

One day I’d love to have a real weight bench. When Hot Girl STS 2.0 Summer was in full swing last year, one problem was I’d get little bruises on the tops of my thighs from resting the weights there before laying back on the step. Probably because I workout in shorts and use those bow flex select tech dumbbells . The ends of them are big.

one problem was I’d get little bruises on the tops of my thighs from resting the weights there before laying back on the step.
Using my adjustable bench I still have to rest the weights on my thighs before laying back. My bench is also higher than my step even with 6 risers each side, so I find it harder to lift heavier weights off the floor. There are different kinds of benches though. Mine is a cheap one that I bought early on when I started lifting weights and I didn't really know what to look out for. As I already mentioned, mine is fiddly to fold and unfold. Adjusting the back of mine from flat to incline is also a bit fiddly with removing a locking pin, inclining the back, lining up the holes and replacing the locking pin. I've seen others that have a ladder style adjustment for the back which are much easier and faster to adjust. If I were buying one now, I would definitely go for the ladder style adjustment and something lower in height. I also prefer the bench to the step for incline work as you sit on the seat and the seat is at the same height as in the flat position, unlike the inclined step where you sit lower, and your bottom is also on an incline.

Using my adjustable bench I still have to rest the weights on my thighs before laying back. My bench is also higher than my step even with 6 risers each side, so I find it harder to lift heavier weights off the floor. There are different kinds of benches though. Mine is a cheap one that I bought early on when I started lifting weights and I didn't really know what to look out for. As I already mentioned, mine is fiddly to fold and unfold. Adjusting the back of mine from flat to incline is also a bit fiddly with removing a locking pin, inclining the back, lining up the holes and replacing the locking pin. I've seen others that have a ladder style adjustment for the back which are much easier and faster to adjust. If I were buying one now, I would definitely go for the ladder style adjustment and something lower in height. I also prefer the bench to the step for incline work as you sit on the seat and the seat is at the same height as in the flat position, unlike the inclined step where you sit lower, and your bottom is also on an incline.
Thanks for the clarifying tips on things to look for when considering a standard bench - very helpful! :)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.