Poaching chicken breasts?

FiddleFit

Cathlete
Hello!

I have a TON of frozen, skinless, boneless chicken breasts that I cannot use, because DH has to eat a low-sodium diet, and these are chock full of sodium (almost 600mgs in 3oz). My question is: if I poach them (meaning simmer them in water), will that remove some of the sodium? What do you think? If I can cut the sodium in half, that would make them more usable for DH's meals.

Thanks!
Sandra

I thought I would post just to say I can believe chicken breasts have that much sodium! I get the frozen ones from BJs all the time. I think sodium kind of makes you retain water/weight right?

I would think it may reduce some sodium but who knows how much? Can he just have LESS chicken?

Cheryl,

Thanks for your reply! I'd given up on this thread :D. Yes, frozen chicken breasts can indeed have a lot of sodium. They're often injected with salt water, I believe, to keep them plumper after the freezing process. I think these particular ones are especially high, and I would never have bought them. My grocery store frequently gives you stuff like this if you spend a certain amount.

I tried the poaching method and then rinsed them under cold water. They taste much more bland now, so I have to think it worked somewhat. Then I chopped them all up and froze them again in 2-cup portions. Now I'm using them in stir fries and chicken salads. I don't add anything else with sodium content to the meals, so overall I've probably managed to keep the level low.

Thanks for your reply!
Sandra

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.