Please Help My Hair!

jillybean

Cathlete
You know those pictures in Pantene, Infusium, and Friz-Ease ads? The split view kind that show a lady's totally fried hair and then she uses the product and voila - beautiful, shiny hair? Well I look like the before picture ALL THE TIME! I don't have particulary thick hair (natural blonde, which tends to be thin) but I have a ton of it. It tends to be wavy, slightly curly. I don't even care if it's straight, I just don't want to look like a person who brushed out their perm and then left the house. Please help! And thanks in advance for any and all advice!

Jillybean! You sound just like me except my hair is brown!
Clinique makes really great products (that don't make me break out!) to help smooth your hair. I use their shampoo, light conditioner and straightening balm ( I can't remember exactly what it's called, but it comes in a tall white bottle)and frizz-free stuff. I use a straightening iron just to smooth it out and it stays all day. It gets a little wavier by the end of the day, but it's not all frizzy. Talk to one of the people at the counter, they know their products. I've tried A LOT of stuff and this seems to work the best for me...and it isn't super expensive! Sometimes, after I gently use the strightening iron, I twist my hair and pin it up while I put on my makeup - this gives it a nice bounce without frizz.

Jillybean !!!!!! 4 Things:

1.Have up to an inch cut off of your hair (if you can face it)
2.Condition your hair after each shampoo
3.Deep condition hair once a week, with a specific hair mask, or deep conditioner.
4.Use a tiny amount of serum on your hair after washing, especially before blow drying or leaving your hair to dry naturally (Frizz-Ease is a brand that comes to mind, only it did nothing for my waves and curls - I use a mixture of Paul Mitchel and Aveda)or under other styling products (like mousse, etc)

Good Luck !

Anna

Oh Barbie thank you so much! Thank you! I can't wait to try this out! I didn't even know Clinique made hair care products! Thanks again!

I have the same problem, Jillybean, and I just started using the Frizz Ease System...they have a spray that you can spray on before blow drying. That and the serum work pretty good together (for me, anyway)...plus you can get them at the grocery store!

Robin

I agree with Robin, Frizz Ease does work well. The only problem for me was that the skin on my neck breaks out from it. It's worth a try, though if your skin isn't sensitive.

Another vote for Frizz-Ease or any other similar serum.

I also love Infusium 23 leave in conditioner. I use that every day after I shampoo/condition my hair and it helps a lot.

Erica

I too have naturally wavy,curly,medium thick hair. I have been using Pantene Pro V(shmp.and condit.) for as long as I can remember. I have tried others in the past but I always go back to Pantene. I also LOVE their new curl defining gel. It REALLY smooths out and rounds out the curl and leaves my hair so soft. You can put it on and let it air dry or blow dry. Now I am loving my hair!:) Susan

Hey Barbie! Thanks for the info on Frizz Ease! I was wondering why my neck was breaking out! I usually have clear skin but I just started breaking out bad on my neck a few days ago - the same time I started using the serum!! Great for my hair - not so good for my skin, I guess...

Robin

My hair has always been straight...that is until the birth of my third child. I was so tickled to hear that my hair has some curl/wave in it....but now, I hate it. No more just blowing it dry and going. It comes out frizzy when I blow it dry. I used to never wear my hair down...until recently. I started using Pantene shampoo and conditioner also. I use about twice as much conditioner in my hair as shampoo. When I am ready to blow my hair dry, I put in some moose (sp?)...it seems to weigh the hair down a bit. But my real trick to keeping my hair frizz free is I use a really thick, round curling iron on it (my hair is all one length and past my shoulders). It "irons" out my hair. No more frizzies. I can't just blow it dry and leave it alone...I look so awful. Curling it cuts the frizzies out and straightens it as well. I'm not sure what type of hair style you have, but a really thick, fat curling iron would only work on long layers. Hope this helped.

Kim

Try bedhead straightening serum or..matrix has that new sleek line.Also,after you shampoo,cond,and blow-dry..but a smoothing cream on it.This helps smooth down the flyaways.If you like a leave in cond.bedhead has a really good one to help prevent split ends and it is-Ego boost.

Do you have a Sally Beauty Supply store in your area? If you do, you have to buy L'Oreal Nature's Therapy Conditioner. This stuff is absolutely wonderful!!! It completely rehydrates your hair and has a great apple scent. A 16oz. tub is around $12. They also make a great leave-in moisturizer as well.

Have you every colored you hair at home and fell in love with that little bottle of conditioner that is included in the kit. Well while you are at Sally's, go buy L'Oreal Feria Conditioner. It's around $9 a bottle. I've never seen this sold elsewhere.

Anna: You are a hair pro aren't you? I have a few questions since the hard water here in Germany is killing me! (and since my hair is nearly to my waist - that is A LOT of frizz!)

What do you mean by serum? And which Aveda product do you use? I have both Aveda Be Curly and KMS Curl Up, but they aren't enough by themselves. I'm using Pantene Hydrating curls shampoo and conditioner, but I don't have a specific deep conditioner. I never blow dry and sometimes don't do more than finger comb. Why the recommendation to cut the hair?

THANKS!!!!!

Katie :+

No matter what hair products you try make sure you don't rub your hair with a towel when its wet! Its the worst for producing "frizzies". I did it for years -- couldn't figure out why all the $$$ spent on a zillion miracle products didn't work for me. (Duh)

Ann
(formerly frizzy -- now naturally spiral curled)

Hi Katie,

Unfortunately I am not a hair pro, but I have bought enough hair products over the years to try and tame my unruly hair !! :7
I also use Aveda's Be Curly, and yes, you are right it is not enough on its own. I combine it with Paul Mitchell's Sculpting Foam (gorgeous natural, but firm hold hair mousse, brilliant for waves and curls), and I also warm up a little of Aveda's Anti-Humectant Pommade and apply that on damp hair. Then I blow dry with the diffuser, and I may finish with a little more of the Anti Humectant, or if I am going somewhere special the Aveda Self Control, scrubched in. I have tried curl up, but it didn't do anything for my hair.

I have used the serums, and found them to be too heavy for my hair, probably because a lot of them are mineral oil based, that make the hair lank. A serum basically is applied before blow drying (for example it helps to define curls and waves, and stops straightened hair becoming fuzzy, and cotton wool like) and it also helps to protect the ends of the hair from blow drying, but any styling product will give you protection.

I use Aveda because it is the only range that does not irritate my scalp.

I recommended Jillybean have her ends trimmed because without being able to see her hair, the ends might be in need of a trim, if the hair is looking fuzzy, etc. Jillybean may be growing her hair, and if so it is still recommended you get your hair trimmed every 3-4 months.

A deep conditioner isn't always necessry, but if hair is blow dried/goes swimming/ and is coloured a lot, then it is normally recommended. Sweet Almond oil make s a good deep hair conditioner, it is inexpensive, and completely mineral oil free. :7

Hope this helps Katie,

Anna

Hi Jillybean,

It sounds like we have the same hair! Mine is fine, thin and plentiful. I have a lot of natural curl and frizz. I wouldn't mind the curl but hate the frizz. Of course, I've always wanted sleek, silky straight hair :).

The most wonderful thing I have found for my hair is the CHI flat iron. I bought it at my salon just before Christmas and have been so happy. It totally smooths and silkens my hair and it stays straight until I shampoo again. I don't know what would happen in a downpour but it has stayed straight through lite drizzle and high humidity. It completely changes the texture of my hair...

I paid about $150 for mine and don't regret one penny of it. There are other flat irons with ceramic plates that might do just as good but don't know. A friend at work uses one that cost her aroudn $50 and she's happy with it. I think the ceramic plates are key.

Here's a link with info about the CHI (made by the BioSilk people):
http://totalblissbeautyproducts.com...de=TBBP&Product_Code=c005&Category_Code=f0001

dee c.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.