plateau

shnikes17

Hi Cathe,
I just recently started using your tapes, and they're wonderful. My gym doesn't offer too many step classes, so your videos save me. I am frustrated though because I am not making any progress. Although I have about 16-17% bodyfat, I just keep getting thicker, it seems. I do some form of cardio (step, spin, walk) six days per week, lift weights three times per week, and eat a balance of protein, carbohydrates, and fat. I have been doing this consistently for at least a year and a half, and I still can't fit into smaller sized clothes. Somebody help! I don't want to have to wear even bigger clothes.

Hi, I did both cardio and strength training for years and never saw any big changes in my weight or appearance. What made the difference for me was seriously changing my eating habits. I started eating 5 tp 6 small meals a day. I increased my protein intake and replaced starchy carbs with fruits and vegetables instead. After about six months of this I got my body fat down enough that my appearance really improved. I can actually see some of that hard earned muscle now. Keep at it and good luck! Sheila

Hi! After looking over your fitness routine I would say that your body fat levels are exceptional. No need to try to get lower in that department. Based on witnessing the many experiences of others here at the gym, it sounds as if you are doing a bit too much cardio. Don't get me wrong, there are some people who are just fine on 6 days of cardio per week, but then there are others who have expressed the same frustration as yourself. What has worked for them is to cut back on the amount of cardio and weights.

Have you ever noticed that after a workout, your muscles swell a bit because of the increased bloodflow to them? When you start to workout at the high levels that you are mentioning,(for some people)the muscles never seem to get enough recovery and keep a somewhat full appearance.

Another factor that may contribute to a fuller look is that people who participate in high levels of cardio activity, generally need more carbohydrates to refuel their muscles. Since carbohydrates tend to hold onto water, the body could take on a fuller appearance(again, this affects some people more than others). Just some things to be aware of when trying to find out what could be affecting your plateau.

If you feel that you could possibly be falling into any of these categories, then my advice would be to first take one full week(or even two)off of working out to let your body rest, and after that cut back to 4 to 5 cardio workouts per week and 2 weight training workouts per week. I know of many people who have made that adjustment and found there size to go down somewhat. Just something to think about(and perhaps even give a try). Good Luck!

Thanks

I think your suggestions sound good, and other people have said that maybe I do too much, but it is so hard to cut back. My days are just so much better when I workout, but maybe it will do me some good. I do notice that my muscles tend to swell, especially after things like Spinning and weight lifting. I try to limit my starchy carbs and eat more protein, also, but it does feel like I need them more when I work out more. I'll give your suggestion a try - I've tried everything else :) Take care

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.