planter fasicitis

ReneePruitt

Cathlete
Wondering if anyone has had a BAD case of this. How long did u have to stay off it? What treatments did u do? I have done ice antiinflammatories, night guard, rest. I still cant jog or do step and some days cant stand on it. He said in 4 weeks if it isnt better to go back and hed give me a shot. Well does that shot makes u gain wait? Will it cover the pain so i can exercise if it does n i keep exercising will that tear it more? I know do lowimpact but any pressure on my heel hurts. I did jog before thru the pain because i didnt know what it was. I just felt if id keep going the pain will go away.

Well i was off it a few weeks. N slowly get back into my reutine. But it is bad today again. Just wondering what the next steps are how long did it take to heel up? Thanks for help.

*wince* I feel your pain; I had a bad case of that a couple of years ago and it can be pretty miserable. Just curious - did your doctor suggest any stretches? That is what really helped me, especially in the mornings when it was so incredibly painful. You should talk to your doctor about what is best in your particular case, of course, but for me - rolling my foot around on top of a tennis ball while putting weight on it and sitting down with legs stretched out and (gently) pulling my foot toward me. Also, when you finally get better, I have to be extra careful to never walk around barefoot - that can really make it flare up in my case.

I had a bad case for a really long time and tried everything I could find out about. I was so frustrated. Then I found a night splint. Wow!!! Within a week I was much better, and by two weeks I pretty much forgot about it. A night splint works becasue we normally sleep with our toes pointed so the plantar fascia heals overnight in the shortened position. When we get up and step down on our foot the fascia stretches and once again rips. Sleeping with a night splint helps in heal in the lengthened position. So I would recommend investing in a night splint.

The shot is just cortisone. It's an anti-inflammatory. It won't affect your weight at all. Stretching helps, the splint can help, good physical therapy helps (ultrasound therapy & some painful massaging). Staying off it helps.

Honestly I can't tell you what's best for it. I've had it for years, have tried almost every therapy in the book, nothing has helped.

Oh, the one thing I haven't tried is staying off it. ;)

Well i have a night splint n i stretch it also. I think i may need the shot now. Just real aggrivating. Wondered how long the worse case lasted

I've had it for awhile, since last summer and I've tried a variety of things like massage, night splint, stretching. Some days are better than others. The biggest difference is watching what types of shoes I wear. Certain shoes seem to aggravate it. I usually stretch in morning when I get up; then throughout the day but especially in the evening when I'm watching TV. Also, before I go walking, I massage heel with Avon's Foot Works for foot pain or arnica cream. I don't think there's one solution; every person is different. I'd be interested to know if u do get the shot & if it helps.

I think i am going to sheduale for the shot soon. Ill post back n tell u how and if it helped. Just hate limping around. This week i was tryn to jog alittle taking it easy back into it. Well i guess its to soon im limping again. I have to do some thing. Thanks.

Oh, the one thing I haven't tried is staying off it. ;)

This is one thing I haven't tried either! ;)

My Plantar Fasciitis never really completely goes away. I just ignore it! :p

I know it's far too painful for some people to do this, but even when mine was at its worst, I kept running and working out. I did the stretching, and made sure my shoes and inserts were good. I also made sure (and continue to make sure) that I don't walk barefoot on hard surfaces. That definitely aggravates it.

Other than that, I just keep on keeping on. Good luck with it. I think it's something many of us here have dealt with in the past, or are still dealing with.

I has it in the right foot n i kept going then eventualy it went away. But now its left foot and i kept running on it thinki.g if i gnore it it will b fine. But nope got worse to i could not stand. Then i finalh had to go to doc. Tried to stay off it. But i waited as long as i could and slowly got back into jogging and it ks gettn bad again. Im gonna call the docs m again get the shot. Eeek. Lol

I had the cortizone shot. It really helped reduce the length of the pf episode. Even tho the shot is painful, I felt it was worth it. Make sure your insurance will pay for it though.

The thing that helps me the most is wearing the orthodics (supportive inserts) the doc gave me. They support my arch and keep my heel where it should go. Funny thing is that the orthodics also have made my knee pain go completely away! Who knew knee pain could be caused by unstable feet???

Good luck and let us know what happens.

Who knew knee pain could be caused by unstable feet???

On a related but slightly off topic note, this is an excellent reason why good running shoes are essential. People (non runners who want to get started running) don't believe me when I tell them that the correct shoes are essential. Not having them can cause all kinds of issues like knee pain, hip pain, back pain and ankle pain. It wouldn't seem that unstable feet and an incorrect shoe could cause so many issues elsewhere in the body, but it can and it will!

Okay, I've been lurking for a while on the forums, but this is the post that finally made me really feel the need to post! So, hello all! :)

To answer the original question, yes I've had a bad case of this.

I won't go into too many details, but it was bad, really bad. Just standing up long enough to take a shower was a painful ordeal. Or that moment when you have to stand on one foot to get in or out, awful. Having shoes on my feet was terribly painful. It was bad.

So that was in January. It was a pretty dark time. When you're dealing with chronic pain, it's hard to imagine ever being pain-free again, let alone doing KPC. ;) I would fantasize about just being able to walk the dog around the block. But I've been able to resume going for walkies (!!!) and working out again in the past few weeks.

So how did I get from there to here?

1. STRETCH. To actually, physically, fix the problem, you must stretch.

I use something called the 'stretch-out-strap' (found it on amazon) but a belt or towel works fine too. I really like the strap because it's really improved my hamstring and quad stretches as well. I'm kind of a stretching fanatic and this thing is awesome. I find it more comfortable on the hands than a belt when stretching the feet.

I stretch my feet (along with the rest of my lower body) in bed first thing in the morning and right before going to sleep.

*Initially I was in so much pain that I actually couldn't stretch my feet because it hurt too much. Do what you can and build up from there. Once I could stretch without pain, but when my condition was still really bad, I was doing it maybe 10x a day. Now that I'm better for the most part, I'm down to 2x day.

*I tried the Straussburg socks (similar to a splint) but again, at first they actually hurt to wear, and later when it didn't hurt, I still just couldn't stand them. However, I'm a stomach sleeper and I've figured out that if I scooch down and hang my feet off the bottom of the bed, it keeps my feet in not quite a fully stretched position but better than they would be in my normal position.

*Also, body parts are not islands. You can stretch your foot, but if your calves are tight, that's going to affect your foot. If your hamstrings are tight, that's going to affect your calves. Etc. Stretch the whole kit n kaboodle.

2. MASSAGE. I use a little spiky rubber ball called FootRubz. I stand on one foot and roll it under the other one, putting quite a bit of body weight into it. This also gets done twice a day. Massaging with my hands was just too tiring. Also you can get a deeper massage with the ball/body weight.

3. When I was still icing for pain relief, I'd keep an orange in the freezer and then take it out and roll it under my feet while sitting. Soothing massage and icing all in one convenient combo deal.

4. I got the cortisone shots. Be sure to request that an anesthetic be put in the needle along with the cortisone. As someone already said, the cortisone is just a locally administered anti-inflammatory and will have no effect on your weight (orally administered systemically acting steroids would be a different story).

At first, your foot's going to be numb, no problem. Then by the end of the day the numbing wears off and it's more painful than the plantar fasciitis itself ever was. My shots (2 in each foot) took about a week before I felt relief and there was one day in there where the shots themselves had caused so much pain that I literally could not walk and was crawling from room to room in my apartment. Like I said, dark times.

Anyway, once the shot kicked in I finally started to feel like it was going to get better. It wasn't immediate total relief by any means, although for someone with a milder case it may very well be. If you believe the stories on the internet, some people react very badly to cortisone shots (doesn't help, causes leg cramps(?), etc). But it was 100% beneficial in my case. I wonder if the people writing those stories weren't incorporating other needed aspects of their therapy (stretch, massage, rest).

5. Birkenstock. All day every day. I wear the 'Alabama' at school (grad student- need closed toe shoes to wear in the lab). They're ugly as sin, but once you break them in, it is the perfect shoe with a custom insole just for you. I even wear them to walk the dog, a good mile or two. It's amazing how little cushioning a foot needs when it's properly supported. I wear the 'Mayari' sandal at home.

If Birkenstock's not for you, just make sure you're getting arch support. Aside from when I'm in the shower, I have arch support under my feet any time that I'm on them.

6. Since I started working out again recently, I got the Brooks PureConnect shoe for indoor workouts. They are amazing. Picture a sock with a whole lot of arch support and cushioning. I feel like my old shoes may as well have been ankle weights. Kickboxing is a whole new level of fun with these babies.

In a nutshell: Stretch! Massage! Arch support! I can't stress these enough.

And I should add, patience. It will get better with diligent and consistent therapy.

I hope this essay :D had something helpful in it. I hope anyone who reads feels free to pm me if they want any more info!

Wow! Thankyou! I even made notes. You sound just like my case. Yes it hurts so bad some days the thought of walking makes me gringe. So the shoes birkenstock? Online or in stores? And the brooks pure connect online or store. Im willing to try anything. I do day dream a out jogging again. I had this problem before in the other foot but it just.. went away. This is different. I am gonna print what u wrote to keep just for pointers. Can you run now?

P90X Yoga

I usually lurk but had to post on this.

I had planter fasicitis for 2 months. I walked like a little old lady in the mornings.:(

P90X Yoga worked for me. I think all the stretching helped. Just my opinion.

I hope you feel better!

I won't go into too many details, but it was bad, really bad. Just standing up long enough to take a shower was a painful ordeal. Or that moment when you have to stand on one foot to get in or out, awful. Having shoes on my feet was terribly painful. It was bad.

My pain was really bad too. If I was on my feet for longer then 10 minutes I was in a lot of pain. I suffered for almost a year and half with PF. The only thing that helped me was getting a cortizone shot in each foot. I tried stretching, rolling my feet over cans, inserts. Nothing worked. Thankfully, it's been about 2 years since I've had any pain. I hope I never have to deal with it again.

Gosh cant wait to get the shot. I remember when it was in the other foot it wasnt that bad. And i thought wow, so y r people acting like this is so bad. It hurts but keep moving geez. Well not the case now! This is different now i know why they complained. It can definitly be varying degrees of paiin. Gee i hope it does not last a year! Or two! Talk about weight gain. I was having hard time losing now with less activity im afraid ill become lazy. Thanks for everyones help and comments. I needed it. Im just started gettn Depressed.

Oh my goodness, I'm so sorry you're going through this. I KNOW how awful it is & people who have never experienced PF don't understand just how absolutely painful & debilitating it can be!!! I used to be one of them!

I had custom orthotics made at the podiatrist's office & I only wear proper supportive footwear. To echo what someone else mentioned earlier - good shoes are ESSENTIAL. It doesn't pay to be cheap in this instance. Spending the time & money on selecting & purchasing the proper shoes & inserts will be well worth it! I also gave up running long-distances. A very hard thing to do but a bit easier after weeks of torturous limping around!

I never did do the shots & I'm not consistent with the stretching but I hear that both work well for many people. Good luck & if you find something that works wonders, please share!

Had it for years but, though I'm a little achy now because I'm back to running/training (and I need new shoes), I mostly don't have a problem any longer. I wore pricey but annoying custom orthotic insoles for years but when I found New Balance 1260 running shoes, designed to prohibit pronation (the cause of pf), I just switched to those and ditched the inserts. Problem solved. Plantar Faciitis is VERY common so NB has other shoes designed for people like us, as do most athletic shoe manufacturers.

My advice, go to an athletic shoe store like Foot Locker, hope you get an experienced fitter, explain your issue, and get fitted for shoes which will correct the root cause of your issue (flat feet/over pronation), even before spending big money on custom orthotics, which aren't usually covered by medical insurance and run in the $300 range. Either way, I no longer do foot-specific stretches, though I do the calf stretches, as the fascia winds all the way up one's leg, the tightness of which causes stress and pain all over, and I got fed up with the night splint almost immediately so THAT'S long gone... Before anything else get shoes that correct over-pronation and make yourself wear them for an hour, then two, then three, and so on, until they feel like a natural extension of you.

Had it for years but, though I'm a little achy now because I'm back to running/training (and I need new shoes), I mostly don't have a problem any longer. I wore pricey but annoying custom orthotic insoles for years but when I found New Balance 1260 running shoes, designed to prohibit pronation (the cause of pf), I just switched to those and ditched the inserts. Problem solved. Plantar Faciitis is VERY common so NB has other shoes designed for people like us, as do most athletic shoe manufacturers.

My advice, go to an athletic shoe store like Foot Locker, hope you get an experienced fitter, explain your issue, and get fitted for shoes which will correct the root cause of your issue (flat feet/over pronation), even before spending big money on custom orthotics, which aren't usually covered by medical insurance and run in the $300 range. Either way, I no longer do foot-specific stretches, though I do the calf stretches, as the fascia winds all the way up one's leg, the tightness of which causes stress and pain all over, and I got fed up with the night splint almost immediately so THAT'S long gone... Before anything else get shoes that correct over-pronation and make yourself wear them for an hour, then two, then three, and so on, until they feel like a natural extension of you.

This is great advice! However, pronation is just one cause of PF. I don't pronate at all and I had PF. I have high arches, which is also a cause. I have always had the right shoes, yet still ended up with PF. In my case, I just ran too much. I also have a tendency to have tight calves and hamstrings.

Here are some common causes of PF:

Your feet roll inward too much when you walk (excessive pronation).
You have high arches or flat feet.
You walk, stand, or run for long periods of time, especially on hard surfaces.
You are overweight.
You wear shoes that don't fit well or are worn out.
You have tight Achilles tendons or calf muscles.

Good luck! I hope you feel better soon!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.