Plantar Fascitis

elsie3

Cathlete
I could use your suggestions.

I had heel pain after a long run 3 weeks ago. I did 2 shorter runs the following week because the pain would lessen once I got going, so I didn't think too much of it. The pain got worse, particularly when I got up in the night and if I'd been on my feet all day. So I finally had a V-8 moment and realized that those were classic symptoms of plantar fascitis. I haven't run since, and have only done CycleMax and biking for my cardio. The pain has lessened. I've been icing and stretching and rolling a ball under my foot. It barely hurts when I walk now--more discomfort than pain.

So, how long do you guys think it will take to heal? Any other suggestions for treatment?

As far as the cause, I was wondering if I did too much too soon with my Vibrams. I've had them since late February. I started out with 3 miles and was building mileage gradually. I was up to 8.5 miles in my Vibrams and had no noticeable problems. I wanted to do 10.5 miles one day, so I wore my Asics instead. After that is when I noticed my heel pain. I went back to my Vibrams for the subsequent 2 runs before I realized what the problem was. So now I don't know if I should try my Vibrams again after my pain is gone, or if I should start with my Asics and ease into Vibrams. Any thoughts?

Thanks for any advice and comments.

Make sure the shoes your wearing are the right ones for your feet. Did you get them at a running shop? I always buy running shoes at a specialty running store and once I find ones that work for me, I continue to wear that same kind. I've been running in the same kind of shoe for years without any problems.
As for your foot problem, I've had friends that have taken 6-9 months for it to heal. Rollong works great and, I think staying off it is key.

Take this with a grain of salt because it's just my opinion, but I would guess that the Vibrams are what caused your PF in the first place.

It's so essential to have good supportive shoes (in my opinion) when you're a runner. Also, you should probably be consistent with whatever it is you wear. Don't switch between shoes and Vibrams. If you're going to wear the Vibrams stay with them. I know a lot of people like them, but for me they would be a recipe for disaster.

I have had PF off and on over the years, but never a horrible case of it. I still get some quick twinges of pain when I walk too much on hard surfaces without shoes. I've never quit running for it to heal. I just kept running and it resolved itself. Of course I did the icing and stretching so that helped with healing a lot.

Good luck! PF is no fun!

I developed PF for the first time EVER after switching to the Nike barefoot type shoes. After months of no relief, I switched to wearing Dansko professional clogs or Chaco flip flops most of the time & went from constant pain to zero in a week. Both shoe types have a VERY high firm inside arch that kind of massages (i.e. gently pushes into & stretches) the PF. Total magic for PF.

I walked up to 10 miles a day on a recent vacation in the Danskos and had no foot pain, blisters, nada.

When I work out, I always wear orthopedic inserts (but not custom ones) in regular, arch supportive shoes. Ice, stretching, tennis ball rolling, rest did not help me but they help others.

Good luck! PF is really debilitating....

Joan

I had a terribly debilitating case that started this past January (both feet, literally could not walk at all at one point) and with intensive therapy (stretching and massage morning and night plus several times throughout the day) and 2 cortisone shots to each foot, I believe I'm nearly completely healed at this point. I'm not a runner, but I can walk my dog and do kickboxing and any other workouts just fine.

So it sounds like your case may not be as severe and could heal sooner, but depending on how much you put into the healing process in terms of stretching and massage and staying off of it, of course it will vary.

I noticed you said you roll a ball under your foot. I have something called a FootRubz ball, it's just a dense rubber ball with little spikes, and I think that thing is a lifesaver. Whether you get one or not, don't be gentle when you're doing the massage rolling. That plantar fascia is a tough tough tissue. I really grind the ball into the bottom of my foot when I do it, putting as much body weight as possible into it.

I have to second what someone else said about being skeptical about the vibrams. I know they wouldn't work for my feet personally, but everyone's arches and foot mechanics are different. Although I also dislike most traditional sneakers. I think because I'm so used to Birkenstocks, wearing regular sneaker feels like wearing high heels to me. I will say I got a pair of Brooks PureConnect (running shoes, but I use them for other workouts) and I love them to pieces. They're not technically minimalist, because they do have cushioning and arch support, but they have a very low heel to encourage forefoot striking and are very lightweight. Maybe trying something like that, that's a middle ground between your vibrams and your asics would be helpful? Even if I had the most beautiful arches in the world, I couldn't see myself wearing vibrams on pavement. Trail or beach running maybe, but on pavement just scares me.

The key to PF is 1) start stretching out the tissue, so you can prevent additional future tearing and injury to it, and 2) you must let what has already been injured heal.

I know how hard it is to be patient! But I would say if you have to wonder if you're well enough to take up a certain activity again, you're not ready for it. Rest it and let it heal.

One more thing, to get a little philosophical if I may.

We are able to put so much devotion and dedication towards training i.e. improving our bodies. And it's fun :D And so it's so so hard for us to stop that training, and force ourselves to do nothing when it's time to rest. But if we're truly on a mission to make our bodies better, we should be just as intensely devoted to healing and recuperation as we are to kicking our own butts.

I tried to kind of psych myself into this mindset when I was hurt. Kind of turned the 'doing nothing' into an active doing something, i.e. healing myself. I had a near maniacal stretching and massage regimen. And the resting was just something else in the regimen that I had 'to do'.

Yup, I still got frustrated. I'm not that zen. But I think it helped some.

Are there any other activities you've thought of trying in the past but have never gotten around to? I happened to discover that I LOVE biking when I was dealing with my PF. Maybe try out some swimming and biking during your downtime and when you're better you'd be ready for a triathlon!

All the best with your recovery!

I'm just now getting over mine. I hope it doesn't come back. I started a thread not to long ago on here about it. I got some great advice that helped. I was dealing with since Dec. It got to ware I could not stand on foot or walk! I guess u just listen to you're body a.d I did all suggestions so not sure. What heelped. I know ice and stretch for sure. I did have to stay off it awhile. Drove me nuts.

I one time suffered from horrible PF. My podiatrist informed me that my super-tight calf muscles are what contributed to the PF. So after concentrating on stretching of the calves, as well as wearing the recommended Z-coil shoes, my PF has pretty much disappeared. Just wanted to share my experience; hope it helps.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.