Planning a Hawaii Vacation - Need Some Suggestions!

Jody

Cathlete
I know a lot of you have visited (or even live/have lived) in Hawaii, so I'm hoping you can help me with some vacation plans. My sister and I are taking my mom to Hawaii next year (she has been talking about going for years!), and I really want to make sure it is nice for her.

I'm planning on us staying in Honalulu, basically because it seems like it has the most to do. I'd love to go to Maui also, but we only have a week and I'm thinking in that amount of time we should stick with one island? Is it worth it to island hop?

My biggest dilema is picking out a good hotel. Since we are in Hawaii, I'd love to have an ocean view room. I've been doing my research and there are a lot of hotels either on Waikiki beach or across the street with really good reviews, but it's hard to know which hotels are really worth the $$$. Has anyone stayed at a hotel in that area that they'd highly recommend?

Also, does anyone recall if you need to book tours ahead of time or if you can do it when you get to your hotel? From my research, it seems like many of the hotels have desks where you can sign up for tours and such on the spot. If this is the case, would it even be beneficial to book our trip through a travel agent if I can do everything myself?

Finally, I know Hawaii doesn't get affected by hurricanes as much as places such as Jamaica, Cancuyn, etc. but is there a "storm season" to stay away from?

Any other suggestions are greatly appreciated. With gas skyrocketing airline prices are going to continue to climb, so I'm trying to get our vacation booked in the next month. I just want to make the right decisions!

Thanks so much for any help you can provide!

Not much advice to offer because everyone has their own opinion and favorites etc... But each island has its own personality and feel, and I think it's a shame you're limiting yourself to Oahu. And if you'll primarily be in Waikiki, it'll just be like visiting any other big city. If I were you, stop there either up front or on the tail end of your trip for two days max and pick another island to visit! If you want to go to Maui, go to Maui!

Just a suggestion...I would plan on spending the most time on an island other than Oahu. Maui would be my first choice and it has TONS to do. Honolulu is really just a big city with a beach. You have to fly in and out of Oahu, so you could spend a night there and still be able to see Pearl Harbor and the other sites that Waikiki has to offer.

I have a cousin that lives on Oahu and Maui is her favorite! Have fun! It's an awesome place!

I agree with the two previous posts. Oahu would be too much like going to a big city. Not great if you want to experience what Hawaii actully represents. Mya aunt and uncle were in Maui and they loved it. Lots to see and a great place to relax.

I went to Hawaii "the big island" in April. It was fantastic. If you have a car it's easy to check out parts of the island and still get to relax. Our long term stay was in Kona. Right by the water, walkings distance to their "city centre" and a few little beaches walking distance along the main strip. If you have a car you can drive short distances to check out various plantations, bigger beaches, and shops along the route. This was our best vacation to date.

I stayed on Oahu two years ago, and although my finace and I had an amazing trip, I really didn't enjoy Honolulu or Waikiki. I had a wonderful time, but it was mostly due to the hotel we stayed in, which I don't think is representative of any of the hotels you would stay in in Honolulu. http://www.ihilani.com/oahu-accommodations/ The North shore was beautiful, as was driving through the center of the island, but we are planning to go back to Hawaii and would go to Maui or another island, unless we went back to the Ihilani, which was amazing and secluded and just perfect.
A friend who lived on Maui suggests that October is the best month to go.

If you do go to Oahu, I recommend the book Oahu Revealed. We will pick up _____________ Revealed for our next island. This series seems really helpful. It gave us some great ideas for our trip.

Wow, it sounds like most of you really recommend Maui. The only reason I was looking primarily at Honalulu was because it seemed to be the most popular. I wasn't considering island hopping because I thought it would be pricy - am I wrong? But maybe I should take someone's suggestion of staying in Oahu two or three days and then going to Maui. So, that being said, for those of you who really like Maui, did you stay at in a particular area or hotel that you loved?

Thanks again!

Yeah, island flights aren't that expensive and they are quick! Maui is a good place to start - it has enough for tourists to keep busy and there is plenty to choose from. If you want something less "touristy," either Kauai or the Big Island would work, but it all depends on what you're looking for. I always thought Maui was my favorite, but since we got into more hiking, camping and other outdoor activities, we are torn between Kauai and the Big Island. But my favorite part of Maui is the Wailea area and we like to stay at the Kea Lani.

We stayed in Kaanapali Beach...I think at the Hyatt...and it was absolutely wonderful! There are many hotels in that area and there's tons to do. I think anywhere you stay in Maui you'll fall in love!

Hi,

Ex Travel Agent here, and if you are only looking to go for a week, I would highly recommend Maui. There is alot to do and see, and you get a real "feel" for the culture and beauty of Hawaii.

Oahu is over populated and crowded, not a good vacation experience for most of my clients. The only recommendation for that island would be Waikikki Beach and the Pearl Harbor exhibit.

I would recommend a stay on Kaanapali Beach ( spellcheck??). You are very close to Lahaina, a fun town that was once a whaling village, and the beach is one of the best, imo.
Definitely do the "Road to Hana" tour, but don't self drive it, you will miss all the wonderful sights as you cling to your steering wheel.
We have been to the Hyatt ( very high end ), the Marriott, and the Westin.

I would also say to check out a travel agent, as they are privy to getting wholesale air and hotel prices. They would also be very helpful with any tours you may be interested in.

Oh, one more thing, if you are in Maui, you have to go to "Roy's", the restaurant owned and operated by Chef Roy Yamaguchi. My DH and I ate the best meal of our lives there, and it was incredible!

Mahalo!

Roy's is a must if you're on Maui. Forgot all about that. Also Cheeseburger in Paradise in Lahaina is a real fun time.

Go to Maui!!! Can I come, too? :D My husband and I went for our honeymoon and promised ourselves we'd go back. Thirteen years, and three kids later, it hasn't happened...yet!

Maui

Another vote for Maui. I suggest you stay in the Kihei or Wailea area. These towns are on the driest side of the Island with great shopping and restaurants (Kihei Caffe is great for breakfast). You can rent a condo right on the water in either town. Much more affordable than the larger resort hotels.

If you do choose to stay in Oahu, there's plenty of activities to do there as well. You can go hiking, kayaking, snorkeling, in addition to going to see the sites. BTW, there are at least two Catheites who live on Oahu....

Regardless of which Island you pick, both offer great health food stores! :)

Lorrayne

RE: Maui

Thanks so much everyone for the feedback. It seems like everybody I talk to (on the boards here, friends, co-workers, etc.) really love Maui so I think that is the place to go. Gosh, I wonder if I should just skip Honalulu all together? I don't know why, but I feel like we should at least spend a couple days there to experience Waikiki and North Shore, and then island hop over to Maui for four or five days. The other islands sound great, just wondering if there would be enough for my 55-year old mother to do!

Also, someone mentioned that October is a great time to stay in Maui, but we probably won't be going until the first half of next year. Is there any difference in weather earlier in the year (February/March) versus early summer (May/June)?

For those of you who stayed at the Hyatt in Maui, I looked at some hotel reviews and a couple people said that the beach outside the hotel was really rocky. I know a lot of people just lay out at the pool, but is it the type of beach where you can set up a beach chair? Stupid question I know, but I want a day to lay out on the beach!

Again, you guys are great resources, thanks!

RE: Maui

The beach at the Hyatt is rocky, I much preferred the Marriott and the Westin.
I also felt the Hyatt had an almost museum atmosphere, and I preferred something more casual, but that is totally individual.

We went in January, which is a big month for the timeshare people, but it was really nice, they knew all the great places to go, and were really friendly, as is everyone in the islands! Weatherwise, it was in the 80's with a slight wind, which is what Hawaiian's consider "bad' weather! LOL.

Just remember that the End of June to November is Hurricane season, and while the predominant storms have been in the Atlantic, the Pacific can churn up some trouble as well.
March is a busy month for families traveling during spring break, and of course you will pay a premium in the summer season.

I loved "Cheeseburger in Paradise" also, but it may have changed names, Jimmy Buffett was suing the place to change the name, but I am not sure what happened.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.