PH's Squats

jillybean

Cathlete
Hi! I find that during PH's squats, my low back reaches failure before my quads do. I usually have to stop right before that last set of low-ends because the strain on my low back is too intense. My back feels fine during the plies and lunges and I have yet to feel low back pain during PS, LL, or MIS. I am wondering if anyone experiences the same thing or has any suggestions. Thanks!

i have felt the low back failure for as long as i can remember. it doesnt't kick in right away but after i've done a couple of sets i definitely start to feel it. i've tried squeezing my abs really tight, lowering my weight etc. it's funny, i was thinking of posting this same question. it's good to know i am not alone.

I have always felt the same thing w/PH, and also w/LL.
For me, I think it's the speed of the reps. Faster squats kill me.
I do not experience much pain with MIS or S&H (at least not as quickly or intensely).

I have avoided PH legs & LL because of this, though I will sometimes work them in. I have also tried stabilizing my abs and lowering weight. It hlps a little, but not much.
Interested in other posts....

Michele

I did Leaner Legs friday after PS BBA and noticed that my lower back really bothered me during the sit and stands. I figured it was because I'd already worked my lower back to failure during PS. I assumed that I must have been doing something wrong that I felt anything in my lower back. But now that I think about it, it stands to reason that the back gets some work during squats. Maybe if you tried to stand perfectly straight? I read somewhere (where?) that you're not supposed to bend your waist at all during squats which I find almost impossible. I've never even Cathe bends a little bit. So if you bend your waist a little bit, your lower back probably gets a little bit of work?

I have presumed that the work of keeping your lower back as straight as possible is where the lower back muscles get sore. When you get too fatigued or "let your guard down" with a heavier weight it can leave you with pain in the lower back. Obviously there are 2 kinds of pain- I prefer the pleasant soreness that proves you've worked!

From what I understand the waist should stay straight but you do bend forward a bit at the hip joint only. Is that what you mean, Jennifer? At least that's what I notice when I see Cathe saying, it's OK to lean forward just slightly during squats, or something to that effect. In other words, the spine should stay absolutely straight, and all the while your effort goes into keeping it plumb (perpendicular to the floor) it *will* slant a little forward, but still be a straight line. Your eyes should cast forward at the same time.

Just a thought on this...instead of using a barbell resting on your shoulders, perhaps you can try this move with dumbbells held at your side.

Perhaps stablilizing the barbell is too much for your back.

Using dumbbells can provide the same resistance but might take the strain off your back. Let me know what you think of this idea.

Marlene

Just a thought on this...instead of using a barbell resting on your shoulders, perhaps you can try this move with dumbbells held at your side.

Perhaps stablilizing the barbell is too much for your back.

Using dumbbells can provide the same resistance but might take the strain off your back. Let me know what you think of this idea.

Marlene

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.