PHA+Bonus Abs

BlakKat

Cathlete
Just did this & totally loved it! Fast-paced but not too fast. Love all exercises; felt like whole body got a tough workout & definitely feel the heartbeat staying up with this format. Could easily go up or down in weight depending on how you feel that day. Abs were super tough which I love having something to work towards. It's a whole new set of ab exercises, some are a little tricky at first (plus things were already burning...thighs & shoulders). My back is really sore & tight today from hours of wrapping presents last night so I wasn't able to complete all of the reps with the abs as I was feeling it in my lower back. I was really happy to see one of the moves from one of the latest live workouts because my abs were sore for 3 days after that one. I enjoyed this workout so much I can't wait to do it again-it was that much fun! Thank you Cathe for another awesome workout!!!

Just completed PHA but no time for ABS today. This workout is amazing: very fast paced, time flew by and heart rate went really up. I had to adjust weights for the second or third set for upper body part and in each case I reached muscle exhaustion or went almost near by the time of the last rep of the last set. Heart rate increases when you don't expect: some of the exercises have a sort of after-bite: they do catch up late...By the end I felt the whole body sore in a good way... And I felt hungry too!!! Extremely happy about this one, now waiting for tomorrow doms! :)

This was so tough for me. I was panting and had to stop the workout several times!!!!! How do they endure? I really enjoyed this one. It's a goodie but a toughie. I am really enjoying this new series. Cathe did a great job. Serious cardio effect with this one - yet no cardio!

I really enjoyed this one despite my hesitancy to do total body workouts. I went heavier on the legs but similar weights to Cathe for upper body, used a 12 inch step and was definitely a cardio affect. I did the shorter extreme premix which was about 55 minutes and I was so DONE by then lol! I was hoping the music for this set of DVD's would be like ICE or RWH but not a deal breaker for me.

EDIT!! I just realized I posted this under the wrong DVD thread. This should be under Total Body Giant Sets. Omg...thunk on the forehead...I feel like saying: "who is responsible for that child" !!!
Well...I'm going to do PHA next. If the moderator wants to move this to the reviews under Total Body Giants Sets, that would be good.

This is the only one I did so far, knew I'd do the full-body first. I feel like a parrot, but its the BEST full body workout yet with Cathe. Notice the word *yet*.

What I really enjoyed was the ability to lift heavy, especially with the barbell. The pace was perfect to me, plus you could slow it down further with even heavier weights by shaving off a few reps at the end if want to keep it rolling. Not too much in changing out weights with the barbell, but I have several anyway. All the moves were those that I personally like doing except I usually sub out classic barbell deadlifts with kettlebell suitcase deadlifts or a one-legged elevated deadlift, and it worked out fantastic either way.

I was surprised that I burned more then I usually do for full body lifts (according to my Polar) and out of curiosity let my watch run on to see the afterburn. My heart rate remained elevated in the 80's for the next hour and my temperature was also elevated which is a good thing because I tend to run cool. (I've been taking my temps lately with a digital.)

The flow of this workout is stellar, and I LOVE the music...no lyrics and I can concentrate on Cathe's voice, because I usually don't look at the screen while working out. It has a good lifting beat, nothing weird, and I enjoyed the entire soundtrack all the way through each segment. (I know, music is so subjective, but me likely!) I wish some of the stretch music was incorporated into the main workout, its that good.

And did I mention doms? I rarely get dom's in my glutes, so activation was right-on and I'm really surprised it happened considering its not that long of a workout. PHA is deceptive, maybe its the flow or that I was lifting heavier as the program went on. There is a lot of room to lengthen this workout with the premixes, which I intend on doing.

If I even get one more like this in the set, money very well spent.

Last edited:
Unusually for me, I was fine with the legs and weights usedm for lower body, and was able to match Cathe in upper body weights except for Overhead Press, Bicep Curls, and Tricep extensions. I am considering going to 4 risers for the leg portions, or heavier on the weights. Anyone else feeling the same way? Does anyone have an opinion on heavier weights versus more height?

I did this tonight. I'll probably go heavier in weight first. Sometimes a higher step does funny stuff with my knees.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk

I've also been considering going an extra riser for the legs (rather than heavier in weight). I'm 5'6 so I wonder if anyone at least 4" taller than Cathe should be going a bit higher. During the 2A-C part my forearms are about to give out so I don't think I'm ready to go heavier on the legs. I'm using 20# as it is for the deadlifts and squats.

I've also been considering going an extra riser for the legs (rather than heavier in weight). I'm 5'6 so I wonder if anyone at least 4" taller than Cathe should be going a bit higher. During the 2A-C part my forearms are about to give out so I don't think I'm ready to go heavier on the legs. I'm using 20# as it is for the deadlifts and squats.

I'm 5'6" too, and also feel like going heavier would be too much on my forearms, so nice to hear someone in the same frame of mind. I am so amazed by how many ladies can lift with Cathe and the crew, but I am not there yet. I think I will try an extra riser first (then maybe I will feel less wimpy about going down a riser for RWH). [emoji4]

I did this one (including bonus abs) today for the first time. I lifted heavier (3-5 lbs heavier) for every exercise except for shoulder press, but I will go slightly heavier (17.5 lbs) for that one in the future too. Overall, a solid workout. I love PHA Live 1 & 2 and am happy to have this one in my library as well. I'm happy to have any Cathe DVD! I didn't find it as challenging as I had hoped for - more of an intermediate or intermediate/advanced routine. The bonus abs section is really growing on me, I just wish there was a second bonus abs routine in the series.

I did PHA this weekend. I've not been feeling well for several months so have not worked out much at all, so I only did one of the premixes (1A & 1B & 2A & 2B). I tried to do the core also, but was pretty spent by that time. I had to lighten the weights, but felt it was a really good workout. Even as weak as I feel, it wasn`t like the intense cardio workouts, but still provided a really good cardio burst. If I did all three of the rounds - wowser. You`ll feel it the next day! Really like this one - if I ever feel better and get back to some degree of fitness again, I`m sure this one will fast become a favorite. It`s also speedy quick!

I've not been feeling well for several months so have not worked out much at all, so I only did one of the premixes (1A & 1B & 2A & 2B). I tried to do the core also, but was pretty spent by that time.

I'm in the same boat, NY25, since I also have been sidelined for the past three months due to injury. I did the premix you tried (#3) this afternoon and just those rounds alone did me in! I was able to match Cathe's weights but think I'll have to lower the step a few inches until my legs get back into decent shape. Oh well! It was a fun workout! :)

This is the only one I've done so far and I really liked it. I got some extra rests in as I have weights I have to change which slowed me down a bit. I matched Cathe all the way through apart from the last pullovers as I couldn't be bothered to change again.
I was surprised I managed to keep up with it. Really felt it the next day particularly in the LB. It felt like it went really quickly.

I loved this workout! I've never done PHA style training before and I was sold on it by the second set of the first grouping: panting away and eyeing my water bottle! I could not lift as heavy as Cathe and Crew on the upper body stuff, but did just fine with the lower. The bonus abs were VERY tough! Overall a great way to spend an hour!

I did PHA yesterday and loved it (Strong and Sweaty indeed!). Anyway I felt like I was cheating on the leg portion thinking I have to go higher and heavier. Higher makes sense because although I'm only about 5' 8", I'm all leg (I buy pants with a 34" or 35" inseam and they don't even touch the floor--you get the idea) so I feel like I need to go higher to match. Unfortunately I have a different step that only has a 10" max so I'll have to use my high step. Otherwise I matched all else and feel I can even go heavier with the upper body sooner rather than later. I think this is an excellent total body workout in a short amount of time.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.