PH retract vs MIS no shoulder retract

pat1949

I'm new to Cathe's tapes and am both enjoying them and finding results.

I have read some EXCELLENT descriptions on these forums for form on the shoulder retraction.

My question is: what is the difference in results when you retract your shoulders versus when you don't? I noticed that in Power Hour, Cathe calls for a retraction and in Maximum Intensity Strength, Cathe does NOT call for a retraction.

What's the difference in results?

Thanks.

Patricia

The difference would be the involvement of your rhomboids which attach on the medial border of the scapulae (closest to the spine) and insert on to the spinous processes of the upper thoracic vertabrae (along the spine). There action is to bring the shoulder blades closer to the spine (scapular retraction). If you reach behind with your left hand and feel the space between your scapulae and spine on the right you will be feeling your rhomboids. Keep your thumb there and with your shoulder protracted do a one arm row (with no weight), now try it with the shoulder retracted and you should feel the difference, you can feel more of the bulk of rhomboids under your thumb. IMHO it's better to do the exercise with a retraction as most of the population has stretched and weak rhomboids from postures assumed when driving, doing desk work (student posture) and when working on a computer (of course MY rhomboids are retracted as I type ;-) :+ ). When these muscles are stretched and weak it is a recipe for upper/mid back pain, forward head posture and thoracic kyphosis (dowagers hump). The retraction strengthens these important postural muscles and opens us up through the chest balancing out the shoulders rounded forward posture. This is the reason that jumps into my mind, others may have different theories. HTH:)

Take Care
Laurie

Thank you Laurie. After this understanding I tend to agree with you about it likely being better to exercise this in a retracted form.

I appreciate the clarification.

Since I don't have PH I'm not sure which exercise you mean? I would like to strengthen that area also. Thanks for the great description of the muscle - now how do I retract it and for which exercise?

Thanks,
Davida

Hi Davida, you retract it by simply bringing the shoulder blades closer to the spine. Close your eyes and imagine someone has just poured a stream of cold water down the middle of your back, when I use this imagery in classes I see my members opening up through the chest because their shoulder blades are retracting. Use your retraction on one arm rows, deadlifts, deadrows, rear delt work, even when doing tricep kickbacks, that retraction is building isometric strength in the rhomboids. The classic set position for most muscle endurance workouts calls for scapular retratction and maintainence of it whenever possible through the workout. HTH:)

Take Care
Laurie

I think in PH and S&H, Cathe was really focusing on posture (like the rest of us, she's still learning, and the attention to shoulder retraction was something she added in a later workout). I haven't used MIS for a while, but it's possible that Cathe and crew DO retract their shoulders, but just don't cue it (I think that is the case).

I ALWAYS pay attention to retracting my shoulders during all weight work. Not only does it help with posture, but it puts my shoulder girdle in a position that is less conducive to impingement.

I would encourage you to use the retraction. Otherwise, with some exercises, it's easy to let the shoulder round forward, which puts the shoulder girdle in a riskier position (and doesn't do much for posture!).

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.