Personal trainer -- getting the most out of it?

gvaughn

Cathlete
When I was leaving the gym on Tuesday, I couldn't help but stop and ask about the mid-month specials, and ended up buying six sessions with a personal trainer.

I have some specific goals, mostly about working my legs without squats and lunges to get stronger and avoid injury, as well as learn how to use the cable machines really well.

What suggestions do those of you who are PTs or have used one for getting the most out of my six sessions?

http://www.plauder-smilies.de/pyth.gif Gretchen

Stretch them out. . . . . .

Let him/her show you a group of exercises for one or two bodyparts only in the first session. Work hard at practicing those for a week or even two while you continue doing what you would have done for the other body parts anyway.

Then have another session to work another body part or two and wait before you have a third session. Is that about as clear as mud????

You see, my philosophy as a PT is that you should educate the client with the goal of making them self-sufficient. Then they could come back to see me once a month or so to have their total program revamped. Unfortunately, my boss has a differing opinion. He is totally in it to milk his clients dry without ever seeing results. Basically all he does is pull the pin and reinsert it in the weight stack. Don't fall into this trap with a trainer. Make them work for their money.

I am not a Personal Trainer, but totally agree with Kim. I used to have a Personal Trainer who just adjust the pin, handing me the dumbells, etc. I hated that since I feel clueless what's going on. I feel like I am spending my good hard earned money just to have somebody doing things I can and would do it myself. Fortunately, that did not last long. Now I am happy to do my strength training with Cathe. Good luck!

Haslina

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.