Pentagenerians & Beyond: W/B 5/9

Today the plan was to do Kelly's neck and shoulder limitation weight workout, but my elbow and shoulder woke me up at 4 this morning hurting. So I did cardio. I did CDorner #169 Steady State Cardio at Home, 32 minutes, 201 calories, heart rate 149/181, 3664 steps ( I got 12 more calories out of this last time I did it, but it seems to get the heart rate up well) I then did Cathe Step Blast from the Body Blast series premix combos 1,2,and 3 adding the stretch, 33 minutes, 186 calories, heart rate 136/169, 2,596 steps. I finished off with CDorner, Just Stretch full body deep stretch, 26 minutes, 41 calories, 36 steps. As usual this was a good stretch. She uses a chair for this and starts with feet and works up doing forearm, wrist and hand stretches and then neck. I accidentally clicked it when I meant to do the one next to it that was a quick mobility and shorter. I have not done this one before. Total time was 91 minutes, 428 calories, 6,296 steps.
I plan on trying a chicken and broccoli soup recipe tonight. Hope it turns out well. This one does not have cream or cheese added to it.

My grandson is in school today. I decided I would hit the grocery store tomorrow and get some weeding and stuff done outside. Some shrubs needed the dead stuff trimmed off from that hard freeze that we had. They are sprouting a few new leaves so that is a plus.

Deb, that is a great picture of Kylie. So cute and looks like fun. I am sorry you are having still having twinges in your back.

Judy, nice work with Ramped Up Upper Body and the abs and adding on a Peloton ride. I think the one I find difficult is the ab stacker one. There is another one, but off the top of my head I cannot remember which it is. It uses gliders and bands whatever it is. That is a shame that you have to go so far for a good place to ride your bikes. The area we moved from had bike lanes, the lake and dam , and a park with walking and bike lanes. I don't know here as we are sort of in the country and new developments. Even country areas are not always safe. Our pastor and a janitor at one of our churches were hit by a pickup on a country road. He hit them so hard that their bike helmets flew off and the pastor was out of commission for a long time because of brain injury. Scares me thinking about it.

Carolyn, I always loved Gym Styles and the format of those workouts. I don't know what the deal has been with how I feel. It is exhausted, dizzy, slight nausea. It comes and goes. I quit most of my supplements and have been reading and gradually adding back a bit yesterday and today. I am thinking I I need to get rid of some certain things. Maybe the NAC I had started trying hoping for some help with the arthritis and allergies. Also I may be using too much protein as I have realized my vegetable intake has diminished since I have been so busy I just have protein powder and fruit most days. I feel better with just a few changes so am attributing some of it to that and allergies which seem a bit better as well. I have been researching histamine intolerance and foods.

Cathy, those days when that tired and unable to catch a cat nap to pick up the energy are awful. I hope you get a good nights sleep tonight. Your comparisons with walking the zoo by yourself shows you were determined to get a good walk in. That would be such a nice place to be able to get walks in at.

Today I did Gym Style Legs, premix #2, for 51 minutes and 154 calories burned. Average heart rate was 102 and maximum heart rate was 140.

Cathy, great job with Pyramid Upper Body down only premix. I usually do the up only premix of that workout. I like the workout, but I usually don’t want to do 5 sets of everything! Those bonus butt exercises can really work you.

Valerie, I can understand why you usually ride on trails instead of roads. That sounds like a very frightening experience.

Diane Sue, it was a wise move to switch from strength to cardio and stretching with your neck and shoulder pain. I hope that your broccoli soup was good. I don’t add cream or cheese to my favorite broccoli soup recipe. I sauté onion and garlic then cook the broccoli in chicken broth. I thicken the soup by pureeing it in the blender.

Hello to Judy and Deb. Have a wonderful day everyone.

This morning I did CDorner Super Fun Cardio workout # 170 that she did this morning 289 calories, 45 minutes, 4,732 steps. I followed this with her new 10 minute abs and core workout (she uses 10# dumbbells) 31 calories, 11 minutes, 49 steps. Not sure about the steps other than my leg movements may have counted for steps. The last two minutes are plank work with some on forearms. I had to modify at the start because I have to have at least one hand to support my head otherwise I will pay for not doing it. I liked the Cardio workout and it was fun. Pretty much all low impact unless you want to add the optional movements. I added the jacks harder moves when I did it. Music was pretty fun for the most part. Some boxing moves in it like a lot of her floor cardio work. It got my heart rate up really well today. Total time was 55 minutes, 320 calories, 4,781 steps.

Carolyn, nice work on Gym Style legs premix. I believe that is the one that has a premix that does the high step ups twice? For some reason that comes to mind. I remember liking that premix and doing it a lot. Now I think my knees might be talking to me if I did it. The soup turned out good. They gave different options for seasonings. I read comments and used Italian seasoning along with the bay leaf and added a tiny bit of franks red sauce. They do call for red pepper flakes. They put milk in it along with the broth which was another optional item. I added a bit of canned coconut milk. I also used what I thought was my Paleo powder herb seasoning in it. It ended up being that I grabbed some crusted seasoning for fish. My granddaughter liked it when she chose it for lunch over the chicken and rice soup she has been eating lately. I keep soups around for lunches most of the time.

Hiked in the park yesterday. 5 hrs 20 min. nice but hard. we saw more critters in our yard than there, and no tourists. we went too high, critters it will be down lower yet. a busy year there, everything was full and over flowing, not what you would normally see in mid may.
the first hike at elevation is always a challenge. its 6-7000 feet and even with acclimating somewhat, nothing prepares you for the difficulty of going uphill with a pack when you live at sea level. exhausting ! we picked a hike we didnt expect to see any one on but on the way back ran into a group of people crossing on a connecting trail. the neighbor we hike with here wont be around for a few weeks as she is off babysitting for her son and his wife.
going to do a road bike here something weve never done since we never have the road bikes with us here. this is on a hwy that we know is not usually busy so we will find out if the local drivers are reasonably polite. never ridden where deer and elk are a real factor. sometimes riding shows you things you miss going by in a car at 60 mph.

Last edited:
This morning I did JS’ Pyramid Power Walk for 30 minutes and 214 calories burned. My average heart rate was 131 and maximum heart rate was 155. Then I did her Chair Stretch from the same dvd for an additional 20 minutes and 31 calories. It was a nice cardio workout without stressing my body out. The chair stretch is a very good total body stretch. Both are a part of the 30 Day Plan series.

Diane Sue, great job with CDORNER Super Fun Cardio and her Abs and Core workout. You are right about Gym Style Legs and the leg presses. I usually use 3 risers with leg presses instead the 4 that Cathe uses. My knees don’t like the 4 risers anymore.

Valerie, nice hike yesterday. I hope that your ride goes well today.

Hello to everyone and have a wonderful day.

Yesterday was shopping day, but since I'd adjusted my workouts for the week, I got up early and did KPC minus the high intensity part. Today I did Advanced Step Choreography and then 5 minutes of plank variations. It's a good workout, but there are definitely a few things that I don't care for in a step routine. We are finally back to nicer weather here and starting tonight we won't be near or below freezing anymore. For a week or more we've had freeze warnings every night.

Diane Sue great job on the workouts! Sorry to hear your shoulder is still bothering you.

Carolyn great job on Gym Style Legs, and Power Walk! I generally do the up premix for PUB, too, and decided to switch it up. Not sure I'll do that again! LOL There was a time I always did the full workout, but it's been years since I did it that way.

Valerie that does sound like a long, tough hike you had yesterday. I'm really not sure how much of that type of hike my knee could take. I can climb just fine, it's actually the downhill that bothers it. I agree about seeing more wildlife on a bike vs car. I can spot a lot of things when driving, but see far more when I was on my bike. What I found fascinating is that deer that will stand a few feet from a road and not move a muscle when a car goes by, freak and race off when someone on a bike comes anywhere near them.

Tee hee yes..what goes thru the mind of a deer?? vehicles are like a blind, you can get close and they don't panic. I have the same issue. uphill I'm fine, just out of breath. downhill I slow way down and knees and bottoms of my feet don't like it at all.

we did our first road bike here this morning as planned. not if it was windy. it was calm. we drove to the hwy where gravel road goes to asphalt and went from there. it's a parallel along the main hwy so is not that busy. it was very nice. we did the length of it 16 mile round trip. didn't see any deer or elk along there but ducks and pelicans in the river. it runs right along the yellowtone river. its a 55 MPH road, but everyone who passed gave us room and no rudeness. now DH wants to buy another set of road bikes to keep here. a long drive is hard on bikes. the constant jiggling for hundreds of miles unscrews things. I learned that on lids on food in the frig, but it applies to bikes too. you dont want things so tight they cant be unscrewed, but if there is any "play" they jiggle loose. 1 hr 40 min. hilly.

Today I did CDorner45 minute Leg Sculpting and Cardio which was 47 minutes, but took me 56 for zoom interruption and writing, heart rate 115/151, 1,664 steps. I then did Perfect 30 Mobility Basics timesaver stretch with a few minutes of CDorner mobility, 24 minutes, 40 calories, 44 steps. I started CDorner and it was one that I have done awhile and I remembered it was a lot of feet and hand stuff so switched. Total time was 80 minutes, 253 calories, 1,708 steps.

It's been a busy 2 days at Home Depot. I've gotten over 20,000 steps each day. Thursday I didn't workout but last night I did Muscle Meltdown Triceps and a 5 min Peloton ab workout.

Diane Sue-Nice job with the CDorner workouts this week. I hope your shoulder is better. I agree about the Ab Stacker bonus. It's another one that I find more difficult.

Carolyn-Great job with the Gym Style Legs premix and JS Pyramid Power Walk and Chair Stretch.

Valerie-Awesome job on the hike! That is a long time to be out.

Cathy-Great job with KPC and the Advanced Step Choreography and plank work. I'm very happy that the weather is finally warming up. It was so cold last week.

Hi to Deb & Lori

I did Pyramid Pump Upper Body this morning. I think doing pyramid up and down in this one is easier than Pyramid Upper Body because you are constantly alternating between two exercises. Making vegetable stock and hummingbird food and then I'll see how DH is doing with the garage. Have some things we need to trash or donate. Things pile up along the sides out there during the winter.

Valerie sounds like a very nice ride you had yesterday!

Diane Sue great job with the Leg Sculpting and cardio along with the Mobility!

Judy great job with the Triceps and Ab workouts! Very glad it's warming up. Nice to be able to open the windows more. :)

This morning I did Gym Style Back, Shoulders, and Biceps timesaver which was 36 minutes and 171 calories burned. My average heart rate was 118 and maximum heart rate was 149. I wanted to go to my usual Saturday farmers market and the specialty grocery stores in that area, but we still have gasoline supply issues here. The markets are about 25 miles away and not really a critical shopping trip. I feel like I should avoid unnecessary driving until the supply is better. I have half a tank right now so I am not worried yet, but I am cautious.

Cathy, nice work with KPC, Advanced Step Choreography, and Pyramid Pump Upper Body. It does seem easier to do the full workout on that one.

Diane Sue, great job with CDORNER Leg Sculpting and Cardio and P30 Mobility Basics stretch.

Valerie, it sounds like you had a good road ride. That’s great that the drivers were more courteous and thoughtful towards bikers.

Judy, your Home Depot days are definitely a workout. 20,000 steps two days in a row is amazing.

Waving hello to Deb.

good morning. taking the day off today. neighbor is coming over for dinner.

we did groceries this morning and stopped at a local bike shop. the reason I was mentioning parts "jiggling off bikes" is something unscrewed from one of bikes on the way here, the hub nut. little piece but important. you loosen it to take off the front wheel, something we do often. our rack needs front wheel removed. anyway, the shop just gave us two, along with the spring that goes on first. we didnt even realize there WAS a spring since it disappeared with the nut. so a really good first impression for where we will take our bikes for service here. bikes are in such short supply we wont be buying new ones any time soon. this shop moved to a new building and has zero adult road bikes to sell, all on backorder.

carolyn I like both gym styles and x train a lot. I used the heck out of those workouts.

Judy that is a heck of a lot of steps. we usually do long hikes when we can. we take a lunch,extra clothes and make a day out of it. conditions change in the mountains especially in this area, and its important to take enough things with you to be safe and comfortable. it was 40 degrees when we started and close to 70 by finish. when we stopped for lunch, we put on all our clothes, windy and maybe 50, and took off those layers as we walked out.

we looked at other parts of the road we rode on yesterday and think they will work for riding also. we are careful riders and don't hog the lane or impede traffic, ride the shoulder if possible. we expect drivers to do the same. people around here seem decent. not true around the Spokane area. only a few people can spoil the process.

Today I did CDorner's Advanced Step Aerobics that she filmed this morning. I had to forward fast past the talking and advertising which was 12 minutes so the workout was 60 minutes with a couple of quick stops, heart rate 128/163, 281 calories, 4,668 steps. This was good, but I really do not like the disco music all that much. I decided to save the new Advanced slower pace one for when I need a shorter workout. I also did Coffey Fit Raw : shoulder/neck limitation workout, 35 minutes heart rate 103/127 , 118 calories, 534 steps. Total time today was 95 minutes, 399 calories.
This workout has 3 rounds of the same moves done for 45 seconds
moves are
squats 15's
biceps curls 12's
reverse lunge alternating 15's
triceps kickbacks arm anchored 12# db
no weight balance knee up and circles alternating
anchored scapular squeezes 12# dbs

Carolyn, I used to bump it up to 5 risers for those leg presses. I am like you, I usually use 3. Nice work on Gym Styles today. I used to use the timesaver that left out shoulders. Your timesaver made me think of that as it was done superset fashion and I wondered if my shoulders were bothering me way back then. Although later I was going really heavy on them, no problem. Hopefully the gas supply is back up quickly.

Judy, I bet Home Depot is really busy with spring planting and getting things going for the summer. We have been to Lowes (closest to us now) a lot. I need to go back for mulch for the plants we replaced the dead tree with. I don't think you needed the cardio after getting that many steps. Nice that you got some strength work in.

Cathy, it does make it seem a little easier when you alternate with two exercises so the muscle group gets a bit of a break between sets. Great job with Pyramid Pump Upper Body today.

Valerie, that is great that you have discovered a bike shop in the area. I supplies of things would build back up. Some things seem to take forever to get in stock. Glad you got the spring with the pin.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.