Pentagenerians & Beyond: W/B 5/30

Traildoggie

Cathlete
good morning. off to do a road ride. will post later.

I am back.... 2 hours 2 minutes, 23 miles. it was a nice morning with little traffic. today was the day to ride. yesterday and tomorrow will be busy, but this morning was quiet.

Last edited:
I did Live Hard Strikes Low Impact Boxing today. Good workout and the ab segments were hard. I did them, but it was touch and go at times. Lots of hard plank variations.

Nick had a 9 hour day at the zoo today. Both of them work tomorrow and it's going to be an even nicer day, so I expect they will be crazy busy.

Sounds like a great ride today Valerie!

This morning I did Rev’d Up Rumble+Extended Stretch One which was 50 minutes and 294 calories burned. My average heart rate was 121 and maximum heart rate was 150.

Judy, great job with Rock’m Sock’m+Muscle Meltdown Triceps, CTX Leaner Legs, and your Peloton ride. Leaner Legs is one of those workouts that brings negative thoughts for me. I don’t actually remember the workout, just that I don’t care for it .

Diane Sue, the Roasted Broccoli with cauliflower purée is a recipe that I marked to try. I already make a similar cauliflower purée, but I use regular Parmesan. We both love the cauliflower. I make my chile oil with olive oil, garlic, and crushed red pepper. The recipe uses a Fresno pepper, but I can never find those in the stores where I shop.

Cathy, nice work with Live Hard Strikes Low Impact Boxing. I find the Abs on the Hard Strikes dvd to be hard.

Waving hello to Valerie and Deb.

Last edited:
Today I am making another recipe from Fix it With Food which is I think on the day 2 10 day restart called Quinoa and Egg Salad with chickpeas and asparagus. I cooked the quinoa while I ate a smoothie bowl for lunch so will have it for dinner.
I did CDorner Cardio Party fun cardio , 52 minutes as I started the warm up and bit of another workout and changed my mind as I wanted to do this one again, 320 calories, heart rate 146/175, 5,155 steps. I followed that with her Relaxing Full Body Stretch//flexibility and mobility workout, 28 minutes, heart rate 78/97, 44 calories. Total time was 80 minutes, 364 calories. It is pouring rain today. It was overcast yesterday, but nice for getting outside. My husband put up our flag, and we bought some more solar walk way lights that were a little lower profile and put them out. He works today and I will cook and clean.

Carolyn, I am thinking that I might try just putting a couple of drops of my mediterranean oregano oil in some olive oil. I am not sure exactly. I did not purchase fresh oregano yet to work with and I would use olive oil as well. The stuff I have in the dropper bottle is in olive oil. Just way strong and not the same. The fresh would be better.

Cathy, nice work with the Low Impact Hard Strikes today.

Valerie, it sounds like you got a good ride in yesterday. It is pouring rain here today, so I doubt there will be much for festivities around here.

we have discovered ( in a bad way) that our water purifier stopped working while we were on our backpack in yellowstone. there is a HUGE amount of critter poop in the park because of so many animals. we used the only water source, the yellowstone river. we filtered it as best we could to get out grit, since river was in flood stage due to the heat. Our purifier is a steripen, a hand held UV light. it worked before we left because we checked it. it did not work at some point since then, since it doesn't work now. no idea when it failed. we should have looked closer when it seemed like the light was not doing on, but its hard to see in the bright sunshine. DH has mild diarrhea. I'm OK but we both drank a lot of the same water. it is not possible to boil and cool all the water you need to drink in very hot conditions. we had replaced the battery on the sterilizer so not the problem. a total PITA for us. we ordered a new sterilizer, put some filters in our supplies, and got out our older pump sterilizer too. the pump one doesn't remove viruses while the UV one does. hopefully he will get treated soon if needed. I may have dodged the bullet.

its sunny warm and lovely here today. tomorrow I have my annual mamm.

Last edited:
I did P30 Low Impact Hiit and Mobility this morning. My next few days are busy. Shopping tomorrow and I may end up walking at the zoo in the afternoon as I may have to take Derek to work and get him. Then he and I are going to Grand Rapids on Wednesday, to my parents in Kalamazoo that night and then to South Bend in the morning. Zoos of course. Then he texts me today the he has three days off in a row next week, so maybe we should move our Cleveland/Akron trip up a week. LOL

Carolyn great job on the Rev'd Up Rumble!

Valerie I hope you get your water purifier issue fixed. I had a co-worker once that ended up with giardia and it was not good. Hope your DH only has mild issues.

Diane Sue great job on the Cardio Party and stretch!

cathy it's most likely giardia. I had it long time ago, and it wasn't pleasant but it wasn't ( for me) anything awful. depends on the individual though! I had it for a couple weeks, eventually got treated but mainly spent a little more time in the bathroom but didn't lose an ounce. some people are incapacitated and lose 25 lbs. ha ha.... not with my metabolism! anyway, he will check with his primary tomorrow and see what she recommends. he is inconvenienced but not "sick". I have no sxs at all.
our purifier was old so we bought a new one rather than try to replace the bulb. could not be sure the bulb was the actual problem and fixing old gear ...you are totally on your own. decided not to bother finding a bulb and just buy a new version of the same sterilizer. the work great with clear water which is true in the northwest. if water is murky or gritty, pre filtering is needed.
I did X train bis and tris and the x train abs #1. also threw in some knee push ups and triceps on the bench. tricep see saw push ups don't work well for me tho I did them. I get discomfort in my wrists and not much focus on triceps since I cant get my elbows to tuck in from that position. I am so glad I found the tricep bench push ups. total game changer for me. I have strong triceps for whatever reason, but I've never ever been able to tuck my elbows.

Last edited:
Today I did Strong and Sweaty PHA. That was 49 minutes and 240 calories burned. My average heart rate was 116 and maximum heart rate was 145.

Diane Sue, great job with CDORNER Cardio Party and Relaxing Full Body Stretch. My oregano plant is growing so fast that I plan to make some of that infused oil using olive oil. I can’t see a particular reason why Michael used grape seed oil. All of the recipes and sources that I have use olive oil.

Valerie, I am so sorry about the water purifier problem. I hope that your husband is not seriously ill. Great job with XTrain Bis and Tris and Abs One.

Cathy, nice work with P30 Low Impact HiiT and Mobility.

Hello to Judy and Deb.

Today I did CDorner no equipment Hiit (today's workout) 40 minutes, heart rate 149/183, 253 calories, 1,016 steps. I kind of wondered about the steps that my watch showed. This workout is a group of moves repeated 3 times. I think maybe the steps were low as some of the moves were more stationary, like a knee raise to the side with an arm pull balance, and one of the moves was doing a bicycle type crunch, where some were a lot more active as jacks standing to jacks on the floor counting 1, then 2, then 3 each time or the option of just jacks which is what I did. No burpees :p It was okay, not fun music or anything. She did talk about this as I think she was answering someone's question about the know singing? It was interesting hearing her explain how she has to be careful of the music she chooses as sometimes the video will be blocked and not always in the US. Also she chooses and does things for free to keep from advertising getting money or something like that. I would have to go back and listen when I am not working out. I guess she was blocked on a recent workout in one segment because of the song she used.
I also did her newest Relaxing Mobility Routine for flexibility/stretch, 33 minutes, 42 calories, heart rate 74/95. This seemed to have the same soundtrack as the one I did yesterday and love, so I was happy with that. It had some different moves in it for the shoulders. My right shoulder and arm has been painful since Sunday. I ran out of Biofreeze yesterday. Anyway, these have helped a lot the last two days, although I could not move the right arm back as quickly or as much range of motion. Still it feels much better. Hoping I am up for something lower body tomorrow. She is doing a lower body workout, but I have to see if I have to pick up a lot of weights. I may end up doing barre or Kelly's lower body add on with the band.
I will be back in awhile.

DH is Ok, it may or may not have been giardia. probably will never know. all kinds of things can be in river water! drinking untreated is not something we would do purposely. we have fixed the problem now. lots of ways to treat water.

yesterday was a busy one. I was supposed to get a mamm and planed for that. about an hour before my appt the office called and said they had an equipment problem and to reschedule. so I set it for friday but it was already too late to go anywhere. I did some garden work, then did the costco run. by the time I got it all unloaded and put away, it was time to make dinner so tho i was busy all day, no workout. this morning we will do a road ride. I also was notified the spot I had biopsied on my hand was not a skin cancer, but still needs freezing so that is also friday. wow diane sue, the medical issues sure start grabbing a lot of time, dont they? the biopsy I had was extremely minor but he injected some pain killer before and I think I am sensitive to whatever it was. hand was red and swollen at the site and finally getting better but I will avoid whatever it was if possible.

Today I did Jessica Smith’s Cardio Step Jam from the WS3 program. That was 32 minutes and 247 calories burned. My average heart rate was 134 and maximum heart rate was 162.

Diane Sue, nice job with CDORNER No Equipment HiiT and Relaxing Stretch. Music streaming is so confusing and free music is probably very limited. I know that many issues came about because artists were not being compensated for their work. I’m glad that your arm and shoulder are feeling better.

Valerie, that’s good news about the skin biopsy. I’m glad that you were able to salvage your day after the mammogram appointment was rescheduled.

Waving hello to Judy, Deb, and Cathy.

we are back from our ride. it was decent ride but really too hot for me. its mid eighties and I have big problems even with the "wind chill, if you can call it that, since I barely sweat and get way too hot. 26 miles. 2 hrs 15 min. this is the last really hot day. will cool back into the low 70's. I'm sure I sound like a wuss but I over heat easily and mid 80's is miserable for me.

Today I did CDorner 40 minute legs and butt burner 45 minutes, 120 calories, heart rate 95/134. I then did the Obliques workout with a mini band that she did afterward, 19 minutes, 42 calories, heart rate 84/104. Total time spent 54 minutes 162 calories. I was going to use the tread climber, but ended up messing with the computer in that room and gave up, as I had to change settings from my grandson's school. I will do cardio tomorrow before I make a Walmart trip. I got my main groceries delivered from Whole Foods this morning.
CDorner legs and butt burner
6 moves done as two rounds then another 6 moves done as two rounds
Round 1
heavy band above knees wall squat with 10# dumbbells and doing calf raises
Heavy Band still above knees 25# dumbbells toes elevated on small dumbbells deadlifts
Band still on squat tap out alternating holding a 20# dumbbell
20# dbs band above knees 3 pulse squats /deadlift
loop on bridge one foot extended out a bit
repeat same on other side
repeat round 1
Round 2
15# dumbbells static lunge halfway and all the way right
repeat on left
10# dumbbells balance right single squat/deadlift
repeat left (second round 15#)
20# dumbbell curtsy/passe slow right
repeat on left
repeat round 2
stretch
I will be back in awhile. I am getting ready to make another of those recipes and am subbing chickpea pasta for regular.

I made the Rigatoni with tomatoes, eggplant, and jalapenos today subbing chick pea pasta and it was really good. I bought the Tolerant brand chick pea pasta as they were nothing but chickpea flour as their ingredient. Another I looked at had several things along with pea protein in it. I was afraid that one would taste odd. I am going to make the Power Salad tomorrow and use the rest of the quinoa that I already have cooked. I am liking the recipes in the Fix it With Food cookbook. I pre-ordered the Total Body Boss Band workout on dvd and download with the boss bands. I don't need the fabric loop bands. I may order the dvd for that later. I would like to see some clips. Pictures look like typical floor work with a band.

Valerie, I am glad that your husband is okay. That is good news that the spot biopsied is not skin cancer. I put off appointments so long because of schooling. Then I kept moving them so this month I am getting the pulmonologist and heart CT done with and my first dental appointment since 6 months before the pandemic started. Next month is arthritis doctor unless I have problems and need to come in. My physical was late fall this year as I kept hoping the virus we be gone. Mammogram was way late because I got covid and had to cancel and make it when things were all clear. I will be glad when I am done with it all for awhile. I hope that the weather is better for you tomorrow.

Carolyn, nice work on Jessica Smith's Cardio Step Jam today. I keep thinking that I am going to do something different than CDorner, but I keep following her and she does new workouts almost every day and usually has a plan for the week on her website. Everything is pretty much low impact other than maybe some jacks tossed in. She is a good instructor. I love her mobility stretches. She chats with people as she does them live and they go right up afterward. I did think I would do the Treadclimber or spin bike after strength, but ended up messing with the computer.

Hi Everyone,
It was a busy weekend and it went by quickly. Yesterday I did a 50 minute Peloton ride and today I did CTX Upper Body Circuit and CTX All Abs. I’m really enjoying Cathe’s older workouts again. I'm off today and tomorrow then back to work for another 4 days in a row.

Valerie-I’m glad your husband is ok. Great rides this week! I remember dealing with Giardia and Cryptosporidium when I was working in water treatment back in the 90’s. We were treating the Mississippi River water. The testing procedure was being developed and I was at one of the plants doing pilot testing. Also, Milwaukee had a bad Crypto outbreak in 93 or 94 and that made people more aware of waterborne diseases.

Carolyn-Great job with Rev’d Up Rumble, S & S PHA, and Cardio Step Jam. That sounds like a good mix. Yes, there is definitely a dread factor with CTX Leaner Legs. I think I will try Pure Strength Legs tomorrow. I seem to remember liking that one better.

Diane Sue-Nice job with the CDorner workouts this week. I really do need to try one of hers. I’ve previewed a couple and she seems like a good instructor.

Cathy-Great job with P30 Low Impact Hiit and Mobility. I know what you mean about being busy. This month seems like it’s going to be very busy for me too with my Home Depot hours. Fortunately my hours drop in July and it will be more like a part time job again. It sounds like you will be travelling a lot this week.

Hi to Deb

Reactions: WD
This morning I did Ramped Up Upper Body. That was 48 minutes with 180 calories burned. My average heart rate was 106 and maximum heart rate was 139.

Does anyone use vitamin C serum as a part of your skin care routine? If so, do you have a favorite brand?

Valerie, it’s good that you were able to get a ride done with the warmer weather.

Dian Sue, great job with your workouts yesterday. I’m glad that you enjoyed the pasta dish. I haven’t tried chickpea pasta, but I tried a red lentil pasta that I didn’t like. The texture was odd for me. Probably similar to what you thought the pea pasta would be like.

Judy, great job with the Peloton ride and CTX workouts. I enjoy many of Cathe’s older workouts too.

Hello to Cathy and Deb. Have a wonderful day everyone.

Hello. we did a hike this morning, 3 hrs 33 min. we thought we'd be on a trail. no, too much snow to get even close to the trailhead so we went up the road. snow, then no snow, snow, no snow etc for a couple miles and then uphill to a view spot in 10 feet of snow. snow pack is very good this year. lots of water running everywhere. we have waterfalls everywhere in spring. much warmer today than expected, but not hot like yesterday.
I have no clue how to hiking on WW. they have "hiking' but the point value shows its not significant. we are going uphill, in snow, using poles, our packs weigh 25 lbs or so. the footing on snow is not easy. definitely not walking in a city park! the other category is "mountain climbing". so I use that. a little 'over estimate' versus WAY under estimate.

carolyn I feel the same about the taste/texture of the unusual pastas. I tried brown rice and lentil. we could not eat them. not even close. I use whole wheat, either Ronzoni or Barilla. they're good although limited shapes available. would love some ww lasagne but never saw it. I didn't think I liked ww pasta but I do.

Judy I remember Milwaukee dealing with water problems. I had totally forgotten about that. the story didnt get coverage out here but I remember either my mother or sister talking about it. all kinds of things can end up in the water supply and every treatment does not take care of every contaminant. we feel darn lucky we didnt get anything worse from our recent adventure. we drank a lot of water because it was so hot and that was the only source, and of course we thought we were adequately treating it. . in WA there is water everywhere . so I would not drink from big river, I'd use a small stream. I would still treat it. I am having "your " salmon for dinner tonight. Love it!

diane sue I got all caught up on medical appts and am current on everything now. mamm tomorrow is the last thing. I was really relieved the small spot on my hand is not aa significant worry. I am "pasty white" and spent a lot of time outside in the mountains. sunscreen didn't get "effective" until I had accumulated a lot of total exposure, a lot at elevation in mountains. elevation on snow on a sunny day is about as intense as possible and worse than on water. I tried to be careful.... hats, scarves, sleeves. but the risks are there.
I haven't decided on the cookbook. I will keep listening to what you all are using from it and maybe I will still try it. I focus on keeping fat level low, does not sound like he focuses on that, and I don't eat red meat. I eat most other things and don't want to eliminate big food groups. I don't want to eliminate wheat, dairy, grains, sweeteners, nuts or seeds. DH fusses about any hot spices. so waffling!

I did CDorner 80's "Jump" pointer sisters workout, 288 calories, 52 minutes, 3,868 steps, heart rate 136/172. Fun workout and music! I wanted more steps so I did 17 minutes of Cardio Dance "Levitating"?? Dua Lipa skipping the warm up, heart rate 140/172, 1,327 steps, 102 calories. Total time was 390 calories, 69 minutes, 5,195 steps.
I just had the Power Salad from Fix it with Food. It is really good with walnuts, dried cherries, spinach, kale, onion, quinoa, and a vinaigrette dressing. I cut down a bit on the olive oil. Figuring these out though when the recipe like this one that is 6 servings it does not come out too bad when doing the macros. I cut the oil in half and a bit more red wine vinegar and it tastes great anyway.

Judy, nice workouts this week. I used to do that CTX all abs workout a lot. It is fun going back and revisiting some of those workouts. CDorner is a really good instructor. I am the two left feet person and actually manage her dance workouts. I wouldn't have wanted someone to see me today though it was a bit more choreographed, but I had it down by the end. She usually puts choreographed if it is a bit more of a learning curve. The music is usually fun.

Valerie, there is hardly any meat recipes in this book. 3 recipes with beef and one of those is for homemade broth, and 3 with pork. I have only done the one with salmon crusted with ground flaxseed which was really good. I had to grind my flaxseed with my coffee grinder as I did not have ground available. Right now I am trying different recipes, but I have a couple I would really like to make again soon. There are recipes with grains, dairy, nuts etc. in the book. He uses regular pasta in some recipes along with rice and steel cut oats so it is not grain free. It just has a place in the contents that will take someone who is leaving something out to what they would want. Hopefully I get my appointments pretty much out of the way for awhile. Unfortunately now we are a lot further away from where my doctors are. I spent a lot of time in the sun in AZ through my teen years. I hung out at pools, volunteered to do laundry so I could stay out in our above ground pool and hang some of it on a clothes line as my mother liked the sheets to smell like outdoors. My daughter has removed a couple of small skin cancers. I did use the old QT sunscreen tanner when young, but like you they did not have the good quality sunscreens back then, I am super pale now. As a teen I would never have thought of covering up with long sleeves etc.. My daughter that is a dermatologist was so strict about her children getting a tan. If she saw sun tan lines they got into trouble as she provided plenty of instruction and sunblock. They have a built in pool.

Carolyn, the chickpea pasta that I used was really good. I read reviews and they say cook al dente. It tasted like regular rotini pasta to me. I bought another brand today at Walmart since I really liked it. Some of those other pastas do not taste good or are so sticky and starchy. I used to buy a black bean spaghetti that I kind of liked that I made a southwestern pasta dish with a long time ago and I liked that one. I have tried some of those gluten free rice based pasta and never found one that cooked up nicely. I was a little afraid of trying lentil pasta. Lintels are generally not all that firm when cooked originally as is most beans. Chickpeas are firmer when cooked so I can see how they would be better for pasta. Chickpea four tortillas are not bad either. I am not fond of cassava flour products though.

I remember well the days at the pool in the sun. they did not allow us to wear sunscreen although nothing back then worked anyway. had to shower before going in. I don't remember when sunscreens started getting some effectiveness, the '80's? since I'm pretty pale I always did work arounds with clothing, but I always get a "hiker's tan". I usually wear short sleeved T and shorts and a hat. so my legs and arms get tan although I dont work at it, I just make sure its gradual so I don't burn. I will use sunscreen for prolonged exposure , but for an hour working in the garden or riding, no. I know there is no such thing as a healthy tan. I still like getting a little color, and I do not want to get burned if something happens to my sunscreen. I don't do tropical vacations, I don't boat, swim or lie around in the sun or sit out in a swim suit. I make sure I get some gradual color. the amount of exposure from gardening, riding or hiking in shorts and a T. I still carry sunscreen along so if its more than expected I can apply some. this climate is generally cool and lots of shade. 100% of dermatologists will disagree I'm sure. my face never changes color. always sunscreen, but it doesnt matter, it doesnt tan.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.