Pentagenerians & Beyond: W/B 5/16

Traildoggie

Cathlete
good morning..actually afternoon.

we had a neighbor for dinner last night while his wife is off doing baby sitting and this morning we did a mt bike close by here, one we've done many times before. 2 hours about 5 miles, with some walking to view the ponds better. ducks and other birds around. its a spring pond that dries out later on. its been long enough now and I'm adapted to altitude so it went well. lovely weather. our camper worked really well, and our repairs were effective so we are over that hump. trying to decide what to do next many options!

Last edited:
Good afternoon Ladies. Today is my rest day, nothing to report. I have been doing a little food prep today. I like to have some sort of vegetable soup ready for lunch and I keep a few servings in the freezer.

Valerie, it sounds like you had a nice evening with your neighbor and a good ride this morning.

Hello to Everyone. Have a wonderful day.

I did Pyramid Pump Lower Body this morning. I really like this one.

Valerie sounds like a nice ride. Great that your camper repairs worked and that you got to have dinner with a neighbor. Nice to do normal things again.

Carolyn, I like to have soup a lot, too. I made Chickpea and Potato today. I have some, save a serving for Nick and another for me tomorrow. DH is not fond of my soups, he‘d rather have high sodium canned.

we are big soup fans here and have it for lunch much of the year. I won't eat canned soup! all have that funny "canned" flavor and are too salty. I have a variety of soups to make so we don't get sick of them. don't mean to sound snobby but I've always felt that way. maybe too much canned stuff when I was a kid? we are still being reasonably cautious and everyone we have met with has been fully vaccinated. I am wearing a mask for shopping etc, as are most people, an still sanitizing my hands. dont need covid or even a plain old head cold if small precautions help.

Cathy, great job with Pyramid Pump Lower Body. I like that one too. That’s amazing that your husband prefers canned soup to homemade.

Valerie, I’m with you on continuing to be cautious. There are too many unknowns at the moment and too many unvaccinated people in my state. I think that many people will return to “business as usual” without masks or vaccinations.

This morning I did a timesaver from After Burn, intervals 1-5. My time was 32 minutes with 182 calories burned. Average heart rate was 122 and maximum heart rate was 143.

Have a great day everyone.

Pyramid Lower Body has totally killed my hamstrings! :oops: I also didn't want to do the workout on my calendar today, so I did the Finished Step routine I created. Needed something fun, though stretching after was enough to make me whimper. I think I'm going to go back through all the workouts and see if I can pull out enough finished combos to make another one. I really prefer and feel like I get a better workout from doing the finished combos than ones with all the breakdowns.

I need to get an oil change/tire rotation done tomorrow, and it's near the zoo, so I'm going to take Derek to work, walk at the zoo, then go get the oil change and back to the zoo. I'll certainly get in plenty of steps.

I totally do not get my husband's preference for canned over homemade. I really think he's just a sodium junky. With the instant pot I can toss it all kinds of dried beans, grains and veggie combos for soups. Continuing to wear my mask, too. I do not trust people here at all.

Carolyn great job with the After Burn intervals!

We did a mt bike this morning we'd wanted to do for years. it's a bit of a drive and totally different from anything we've done before. very dry and wide open in the sun, desert like. some rocks but all banked and designed for mt bikes. we did a beginner trail and some of an intermediate one. it was fun! it wasn't that easy so I'm sure black diamond trails are killer. most of the area is intermediate long loops . we saw some cool birds and the flowers. not a place to be if its wet and not good if it's hot since there is no shade. anyway, hour and a half and about 7 miles. all the people we saw were doing the same sections we were. it was quite warm this morning. a cooler day we would have done more but by 11 it was getting hot. .

I like soup for lunch. seems more filling and lower in calories than most things. I do some instapot and some stovetop. I cant even remember buying a can of soup.... must be back in the late 1960's? I stopped eating most things my mother gave us as soon as I left home. I like the flexibility of home made. DH and I laugh about soup since his mother used to feed them the same things.... campbells chicken noodle, cream of whatever. .

I hate sore hamstrings. hope you settle down soon with the discomfort. I also don't trust 50% of people to do the right thing. all the folks who refused masks/ vaccinations all along now look like they are vaccinated if everyone tosses their masks. I dont agree with the way the CDC did this. Im sticking with the mask for the time being. hit costco in bozeman today and most people had masks on as soon as they come into the store. not so much in the parking lot. really warm and sunny today so I ditched mine as soon as I got outside too.

I did CDorner's Step Aerobics Int/Adv slower paced workout which she says something like bpm 127 max. I got it up quite a bit higher, but I added intensity to it. I almost quit, because it felt slow at first, but she sped it up and it was better. Also I did not care for the music. This was 39 minutes, 223 calories, heart rate 139/165. I added some jumping and faster paced steps etc.. 3,504 steps total.

Sunday I did a 20 minute Peloton ride before work and yesterday I did a 45 minute Peloton ride, short upper body workout and a short yoga session.

Cathy-Great job with Pyramid Pump Lower Body and the step routine you created. That sounds like a good idea to put the finished combos together.

Valerie-Nice job on the mountain biking. That sounds like a good place to go. I don't agree with the way the CDC did this either. I'm shocked that they changed their mask recommendations so drastically and so quickly.

Carolyn-Great job with the Afterburn timesaver premix. I am going to continue wearing a mask also, especially while working at HD. HD is still requiring it but they won't enforce it on customers now. Half of the people coming in over the weekend didn't wear masks.

Diane Sue-Great job on the CDorner Step Aerobics.

Today I did P30 Low Impact HiiT and the Extended Stretch for 37 minutes with 225 calories burned. My average heart rate was 127 and maximum heart rate was 154.

Cathy, nice job with your Finished Step workout. I understand getting a better workout from the finished routines. The workout flows better and you can focus on the moves and enjoy the workout.

Valerie, That’s great that you were able to ride on that trail that you have been wanting to try. I would buy canned soup for emergency lunches for my husband when we were both working. I have never cared for it for myself. We didn’t have it much when I was growing up and I certainly didn’t develop a taste for it as an adult. Plus the sodium! I make a lot of puréed soups when my daughter is here. Her medication creates a very sensitive digestive system and soft vegetables are easier for her to digest. She had to work with a dietitian to figure out how to eat to get proper nutrition.

Diane Sue, nice job with the CDorner Step Aerobics slower pace. I’m glad that it got better as the workout progressed.

Judy, great job with the Peloton rides and upper body work.

Have a wonderful day everyone.

Today I did Step Jump and Pump step premix followed by Step Blast Challenge and Blasts with the stretch, 44 minutes, 211 calories, heart rate 126/167, 3,589 steps. I also did CDorner Mobility Stretch # 47 28 minutes, 40 calories, heart rate 78/111. I really needed the stretch. For some reason I really hurt all over this morning. Total time was 72 minutes, 251 calories. I did not check the steps for the stretch which I am sure was not much. I had to stop for the zoom class before doing the stretch.

Valerie, I am glad that the camper repairs have worked out for you. It is nice that you got a good ride in. I love homemade soups. Canned and cartons of soup do not taste good. I think the last I purchased was a couple of years ago when I tried some Pacific squash soup and it was sweet and tasted like they put cinnamon in it. Not what I like. I would rather it have pepper and some onion or something blended in for flavor.

Cathy, it sounds like you have a good plan that works out for getting a walk in and your care serviced. My husband took mine to get the oil changed and realized even though my car was saying it was time to change it, it was obviously not going by my mileage. I do not put a lot of distance on it, so he bought the filter back home. For some reason not all centers have a oil filter in stock for my Chevy Spark.

Judy, nice work getting in the Peleton ride and some yoga.

Carolyn, good job on P30 low impact and the extended stretch. CDorner latest has had disco and hip hop music that is just not really something I generally care for. For the most part I did not even recognize the tunes. That is how much I do not listen to that type of music. I did enjoy the music on Cathe's today though :)

I didn’t get a chance to workout this morning as I had to take my car to get serviced. It’s been over a year since my last visit, but I was still below the mileage range. It wasn’t a bad visit and I was amazed at the upgrades they have made at that dealership. They were just starting when I was last there, but they spent 6 million dollars to renovate the place. It is so bright, open and airy, with no more small rooms.

Diane Sue, I considered Step, Jump, and Pump step last week but chose something else. Great job with your workout. I hope that your are having less pain today.

Hello to Deb, Judy, Cathy, and Valerie.

Last edited:
We did the backpack Ive been pushing to do. I didn't much like the destination, but not too many choices right now. we needed to review our packs and supplies, and get back with the program. backpacking is not easy, and if you do it once a year, it will never feel good. it's like many activities..... you need to do it at least several times a year or it will always feel awkward and difficult. we found multiple things that need replacing or fixing, and discovered a whole range of muscles and pressure points that need to get hardened up. the shock cords in our tent have gone slack ... still works but elastic loses its ability to stretch and snap back. same thing that happens to underwear waistbands! yesterday was a very hot day so we had to take a destination on the river because creeks were flowing too high to cross. 4 miles downhill and the 4 miles uphill on the way out, opposite of the usual . it was loud. it was not that interesting. we still enjoyed it but not a repeat destination. the main goals got accomplished. we can fix or replace a few things and next trip will be easier. ticks were out which is a hazard to watch for.

Car dealerships a have changed Carolyn!. they're becoming like resorts or day spas! barristas and restaurants and who knows what else. no more of the smoky little rooms with old magazines and a coke machine!

I dislike hip hop. not musical to me and I don't like the "mannerisms" that go with the dancing or the lyrics. unattractive on everyone.

diane sue, I love squash and squash soup, but not if it goes into the sweet range unless it also has some heat. especially not pumpkin pie spice that seems to be everywhere these days. Im going to make some soup this afternoon and will use the instapot. think it will be lentil soup. weather will be cool and wetter and even in may, that is soup weather for me.

Today I did CDorner Kickboxing Tabata, 40 minutes, 224 calories, heart rate 139/166, 2,821 steps. The music was fun and some of it was fun. There was two tabata drills that had thruster moves or an alternative and more time on the floor and my hands than I wanted. My wrists were bothering me last night. The last drill was down to the floor doing ab as v sit punches alternated with a side plank hold, this was at 30 minutes. I also did her newest Cardio Mobility, 30 minutes, heart rate 91/114, 231 steps, 67 calories. I don't think I liked this one all that much. It kind of reminded me of moves in a cardio yoga I have with Brook Benson and some of the moves with budokon. I find it uncomfortable doing lunge hops into other poses and that sort of thing. She even ends this with roll backs and coming up onto the feet with legs crossed. I felt like I really still needed a stretch. I was hoping for movement, but not that sort of working movement. Total time was 70 minutes, 291 calories, 3,045 steps.

Weird week. Tuesday I took Derek to work and walked. Got to chat with him a few times and ate lunch with Nick. Then I went and got my oil changed and they found a bulge in one of my tires. Gave me an estimate on a new one. Back to the zoo and walked so more. Ended up with over 24,000 steps and 9 miles for the day. Then Derek and I headed to Lansing for his vaccine appointment. Long day.

Yesterday I called the closest tire place and they had to order a tire for me, should be in today. Really didn't want to risk driving it to Battle Creek on multiple busy highways when I can take our road directly into town instead. Not thrilled to buy a new tire, but Derek and I are heading to Toledo tomorrow and given the incredibly busy highways blowing out a tire wouldn't have been a plus. He's taking DH's car to work today. And after my early afternoon appointment, I'm headed off to shop. Not my favorite time of day at all! At least one of the places I shop has dropped their mask mandate, I'll be wearing mine but expecting to see a fair number who aren't.

Yesterday I did Mobility and Ab Stacker. I just finished putting together another finished step combo workout from older videos. Ones I haven't done in years so we'll see how much of a disaster I make of those!:)

Valerie sound like a very active time for you! I've always thought physically backpacking would be really hard for me to carry everything I'd need. I like the concept, but I've always stuck with day hikes. Because our yard is mostly natural we deal with ticks a lot, but ours are almost 100% dog ticks, at least I've never seen any others. We've had them for over a month now. They don't seem interested in people and just want to escape us. At the point where we are seeing them they are still quite tiny, and down the drain they go. My Mother had started cooking for her family at 10 and hated it, so once she was married in '59 processed food became her main go to and we had lots of soup, canned veggies and fruit and frozen dinners. Pot pies and fish sticks kind of thing.

Judy great job with the Peloton workouts!

Carolyn great job with P30 Low Impact Hiit! My dealership is like that and they have various types of seating areas. Some off by themselves, a large one in front of the TV which seems to be set on home remodeling, and a room where you could close the door, which would be good for little kids. A counter with free snacks and drinks, too.

Diane Sue that sound like a really fun workout you put together with SJP, Step Blast and mobility and a Kickboxing tabata sounds fun, too!

Cathy it IS hard to carry everything you need. depends on where you are going, how long, season, how many people. 3 people can all use one stove. definitely do the tire...
when DH and I started backpacking, mostly army surplus gear. cheap but heavy/ bulky. technology changed all that gradually. costs went up too. gear is much more expensive but lighter and better. how often you update things depends on how important "lighter" is to you and your finances. tents used to be 7-8 lbs and now more like 3 lbs and much nicer. they are $400 tho, not $50. that expands to every thing you haul along. we carry more than most. some go without stove, cooking gear and eat cold food. I want to enjoy the trip. morning coffee and a warm dinner even if its ramen with some add-ons. need a stove and a pot.

Ticks are a big concern. huge animal population here supports them. we do tick checks during, after each trip. we found several. global warming and who knows what(??) caused ticks to spread. now present in areas they didn't used to be. Pyrethrin spray is the big gun here. you can buy clothes impregnated with it( more expensive) or buy the spray and treat your own clothes, boots, packs. mainly deer ticks but other kinds carry diseases too. lyme disease, rocky mt spotted fever, erlichiosis, plus several others. we found 2 ticks during the trip, and a few small ones after unloading at home.
DH and I have backpacked thousands of miles. not as much lately, but we still have some trips left in us so are gearing up. our tent is great but needs new shock cords. my sleeping bag is heavy but I cant stand narrow mummy bags. I will use the heavier one. choices... a pound here, 8 oz there adds up. the park has bear boxes, so dont need to carry gear to hang your food in a tree. outside the park we probably would. people go to extremes like cutting handles off toothbrushes! Did you see the movie "Wild"? funny and reasonably true.
I will not hike during bad bug season whenever it is where I am. can't deal with black flies or mosquitos when they are rampant.

think I am taking a day off, tho might do upper body workout later today.

glad Im not alone feeling confused about the mask issue. in public places I will wear one, outdoors I never did. people I know are vaccinated so social life can resume.

this was really good. I didn't have avocado. peeled, diced the sweet potato. also added a little diced cooked chicken to make it a little more filling. just delicious. I used plain frozen cauliflower rice from costco, a whole bag. sorry if I posted this before, I dont remember.

Last edited:
This morning I did Pyramid Pump Upper Body for 51 minutes and 185 calories burned. Average heart rate was 104 and maximum heart rate was 136.

The Lexus dealership has always been a bit luxurious with many amenities, but this one is over 20 years old and was dated. New owners came in about 3 years ago and they have been updating quite a bit since then.

Diane Sue, I’m sorry that the cardio mobility was disappointing for you. I have done cardio yoga workouts and they are not relaxing.

Cathy, that was quite a day of walking, 9 miles and 24,000 steps. Replacing the tire is a very smart thing to do. You never want to risk having a blow out.

Valerie, I guess that I never gave much thought to what is needed for backpacking. Just getting the gear ready sounds like a big project. That Cuban Rice Bowl looks like a good recipe and something that I would like.

Hello to Judy, and Deb.

carolyn, the first trip is a project. most things worked fine, replacement shock cords are $20, u tube shows how to replace them. Im looking at new sleeping bags but unlikely if I will upgrade for a few ounces. replaced some batteries. ordered permethrin spray to re-do our packs and clothes. I do it every year, some things more than once if they get washed often, like pants. I dont do it until we start seeing ticks. every year and locality can be different. once things set are up, its not hard to pack . food mainly. I shrink wrap dinners several at a time. just grab the package for however many nights we need. instant coffee. granola. lunch is PB or cheese and wraps or crackers. we keep it simple.

warning... there is cilantro in the cuban rice bowl. DH doesn't generally like cilantro ( I do) but he likes it in this dish. its light for a main so I dice in a little chicken. I roast the sweet potatoes in dice with some chili powder. we were really hungry after our backpack! I love avocado but dont always have it here but its fine without. its very colorful and looks lovely on a plate or in a bowl.

Today I did Step, Jump, and Pump, all step premix. That was 28 minutes and 212 calories burned. My average heart rate was 136 and maximum heart rate was 159.

I hope that everyone is having a wonderful afternoon.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.