Pentagenerians & Beyond: W/B 3/14

FitGran

Cathlete
Good Morning. Today I did Jane Adams Gentle Yoga Morning Energy practice for 18 minutes. That’s it for me as I try to adjust to the time change.

Valerie, I’m glad that you were able to make the trip to Montana.

Waves to all and have a wonderful day.

carolyn thanks for starting us. we had the DS time change plus another hour for a mountain time zone. I wish could dump the whole system and stay on consistent time. what I've read says we can switch to standard time or do the back and forth business but not switch to DST all yr without federal intervention. there were efforts to move that way but the virus sort of took over the story for the whole year.

the drive itself was pretty benign, just takes a while.

I feel totally jet lagged! beautiful here but not sure I want to do much today. really tired. looking at the elk herd with the telescope. they aren't all that far away but a scope sits on the floor versus holing your arms up with binoculars. easier to look thru for a long time.

This morning I did Live Get Steppin’ 2. A fun workout, but I swear at times she was hearing s different beat than I was, because everything seemed just a tad off. Now I’m trying to figure out what I want to do for cardio this week. Starting STS Meso 3 tomorrow. These are the long upper body ones because of the longer breaks. And I’m doing the squat rack legs.

Carolyn nice job with the yoga!

Valerie glad you were able to get to Montana. I would LOVE to do away with the time change.

Today I did Coffey FIt Raw Box and Pump #4, 49 (47 actual) minutes, heart rate 123/159, 223 calories, 2,959 steps. I then did CDorner Movement and Mobiity #4 an older one that was obviously one of her first as audio and picture quality was not as good and it was in a different area of the house. This was active rather than sitting holding stretches. Total time was 73 minutes, calories burned 279, 3,147 steps.
Coffey Fit Raw Box and Pump # 4
47:38 minutes using 10 and 12 # dbs 1 minute each exercise also they use 2# dumbbells or egg weights This is Low Impact

warm up
biceps hammer curls 2 halfs and 1 supination curl 12# dbs
deadlifts regular then kickstand 12# dbs
boxing done all on the right side with egg weights (me 1# dbs)
biceps front curls/pledge curls 12# dbs
squat/fold/up 12# dbs
boxing left side
water break
alternating overhead press 12# dbs (me 10#)
reverse lunge pulses and singles 12# dbs
boxing right side
light weights(me 8# I think Kelly 10's) lateral raise/front raise alternating
reverse lunge/side lunge alternating sides 10#
boxing left side
break
triceps overhead extension 12# db
wide stance squat/plie squat 12# db
boxing right
triceps kickbacks 10# dbs single and doubles
frog squat no weight
boxing left
cooldown stretch

Today I did Athletic Training from the LIS. My time was 58 minutes with 311 calories burned. Average heart rate was 120 and maximum heart rate was 146. The March rotation starts each week with a metabolic workout which gives me a chance to revisit some that I had forgotten about. Athletic Training and Super Cuts are examples of that.

Valerie, I’m with you on the time change. I prefer standard time because I hate bright daylight at 9:00 at night, but we are already on daylight saving time 8 months of the year. I wish we could just stay on one or the other and stop the changing.

Cathy, great job with Live Get Stepping 2. Meso 3 does seem to have long workouts because of the rests. The rests are necessary for the overall goals of the program and I was able to benefit from them. I needed the recovery time before moving on to the next exercise.

Diane Sue, nice job with Raw Box and Pump and CDORNER Movement and Mobility.

Deb, are you still out there? I hope that everything is going okay for you.

Hello to Judy and Lori. Have a wonderful day everyone.

Hi Everyone,

Chris and I got our first Covid Vaccines (Moderna) yesterday. So far we haven't had any bad side effects. My arm is sore but that's about it. It's been the same for Chris. We are scheduled for our 2nd shots on April 13. They told us to expect more side effects with that one and to plan a day off afterwards.
I didn't workout yesterday. Today I did a 20 minute Peloton ride. I might make this my active rest week. I'm trying to take a rest week after every 4 weeks of hard workouts.

Deb-I hope all is well.

Carolyn-Great job with Athletic Training! The March rotation looks good.

Diane Sue-Great workouts! I have Raw Box & Pump 4 on my list of workouts to do. I previewed it last week and it looks like one I will like.

Cathy-Nice job with Live Get Stepping 2.

Valerie-I agree about the time change.

Hi to Lori

yesterday was a quiet one. the 2 hr time change plus the drive had us both crawling around. plus somehow I pulled a rhomboid doing absolutely nothing and even small chores were difficult. just raising and lowring my arm was hard. no idea what I did. it was better today, plus I am adapting to the elevation change.

we hiked this morning, a road we often ride with mt bikes. thought it was still too snowy to ride and we were right. closed to vehicles until june. it had some big patches of snow and some incredible mud. there are reasons dirt roads get closed for the spring thaw! a 3 hour walk plus an hour of looking for interesting things. too early for flowers for sure. lots of footprints and poop but didn't see any critters. will try to xc ski tomorrow at a higher elevation.

so glad to hear you got your shot judy. I was fine after the first one but both DH and I were "off" a bit after the second, me worse than him.. no way to predict who will be Ok and who will want a rest day.

sounds like we all agree on the time change and that's what most people seem to prefer. pick one or the other and then leave it alone.

Saw my first bluebird of the year today, as we were driving the short drive back to our house.

This morning was STS Disk 25 Chest and Back. For all this one is constant back and forth between the two areas, there's plenty of time to switch weights. I felt like I pretty much had all the weights exactly right. Finished reps, but a lot of times that 8th rep was all I had in me.

Diane Sue great job on the workout! I'm sure you are crazy busy between packing and school.

Carolyn huge high five to you on Athletic Training. The idea of that one stresses me. LOL

Judy that's fantastic that you and your husband got your first vaccines. Hoping that already being on a couple lists will help me come the 22nd when my group comes up. I'm also checking other local pharmacies through a find your vaccine page, but so far nothing there. A rest week can be just the thing after going hard for four weeks.

Valerie great that you got a good hike it. I hope you are able to ski tomorrow. There's pretty much no snow except in piles where the boys are now, but I saw that the ski hill there is still making snow and open. Marquette has only had 97" of snow this winter which if it were to hold (and they can still get snow for a couple months yet, though the longer it goes the less likely a big storm would be) it would be an all time low since they started keeping records. We are WAY low on snow here this year, though I haven't seen official numbers. Was it a Mountain Bluebird you saw? I would LOVE to see them. The ones here are pretty, but the Mountain Bluebirds are gorgeous.

There is not snow everywhere here, but select areas might still be okay to ski. its sort of tail end here unless we drove to the west side of the park which will have a ton yet but its a bit of a drive back and forth. much more challenging skiing there and I'm not sure I'm up to that since we've failed at so many attempts to ski. if you don't use it, you lose it.
it was a mountain bluebird. supposedly there are western bb's here too but Ive only seen mountain. yes they are absolutely gorgeous. almost don't look real. the color is so intense. we know they arrive early but this is earlier than I thought. I will be looking more closely when we drive today. they are flycatchers so sit on top of bushes and posts, fly out and grab an insect, then back to the perch. I have a good chance of seeing he one yesterday again today in the same area.

This morning I did Hard Strikes, the no conditioning timesaver. That was 35 minutes and 259 calories burned. Average heart rate was 131 and maximum heart rate was 157.

Judy, I’m glad that got your first vaccine. All three of my daughters have now gotten the first dose in their various states and my son-in-law will get his tomorrow. It’s a relief to know that everyone has some level of protection.

Valerie, that’s great that you saw the mountain bluebird.

Cathy, you are moving right along with STS. Great job.

Have a wonderful day everyone.

Today I did CDorner Live Advanced Step from 2 days ago, 62 minutes, heart rate 145/174, 392 calories, 5,854 steps. I then did CDorner Stability ball abs, 19 minutes, 24 calories, heart rate 92/120, 12 steps. I was feeling soreness in my shoulder blades and upper back when laying on the stability ball so I did CDorner foam rolling routine #2 which I did the first part of before because the first 14 minutes is upper back. This time I did all of it and she goes to the hips and side of the quad then finishes off with wrist and neck stretches. I like this as she gets at muscles under and behind the underarm area. This was 29 minutes, 25 calories(really not much movement), 32 steps. Total time spent 1hr 50 minutes, 5,898 steps, 441 calories. I really needed the rolling and stretching today so since the electrician called and said it would be later today or tomorrow that he would get one of the breakers I decided to get a lot in as far as workout. I do not know why boxing causes me pain. I swear I am careful and I really wanted to do Kelly's Box and pump yesterday, so last night and thins morning I was feeling it. I love boxing though.
Be back in awhile to read posts.

This morning I did Live Kick Punch Cardio. Fun workout with a little bit of everything. Wasn't sure it was going to happen because I had one of my wake up at 3:30 and stay awake mornings. After I had breakfast I knew there was no way it was happening, so...I went back to bed. Best decision! Slept for about an hour and a half and woke up with plenty of energy. Got a crazy 400 calorie burn for the 50 minute workout. Not only 10 minutes anaerobic, but 13 minutes in what it considers extreme!

Valerie I hope you are able to find somewhere to ski tomorrow and that you get to see the bluebird again.

Carolyn great job with Hard Strikes. That's great that your daughters have had their first vaccines. I'm hoping to hear something in the next week, but I hear our health department hear is behind. I need to search down some more places to get on lists. I keep checking Rite Aids and they have no open appointments and the other places I've checked our currently out of vaccine. NMU has said they've been asked to file paperwork to get vaccines for students, and they are hopeful they'll have something soon. The county up there is opening up to everyone 16 and older sooner than down here and they are doing all veterans and spouses this weekend I believe. They also have reported their first verified case of the British variant in the county, so that faster they vaccinate the better.

Diane Sue great job on the workouts! I've contemplated getting a foam roller. It really sounds like it would be a help in keeping the muscles stretched and flexible. What size do you use?

This morning was the first workout for legs of Meso 3. Only 4 different exercises, 4 rounds and 2 1/2 minute breaks in between. At one point, I got distracted and thought I missed a round, but no you really can do a lot in 2 1/2 minutes. LOL I've always found it a plus for the squat rack workouts that I'm so short, I can put the bar on the top spots on the tower and just step in front of it and move it on and off my shoulders. I'd rather not deal with my weighted vest, but at about 35-40 lbs it gets really tough for me to get a bar over my head!

I tried a little experiment that got me odd results. I charged my FitBit Charge last night, that was not smooth and left it only syncing to my iPad and somehow causing my Atria to no longer sync to my phone. Ugh! But, I wore one on each arm and here's the basic info I got: FitBit calorie burn 130, Ave HR 107, high HR 173, Atria calorie burn 337, ave HR 98, and high HR 143. So, the Atria while logging lower heart rates, gave me a calorie burn that was 207 calorie higher! That just seems so strange. Workout manager shows a calorie burn of 311 which makes me think that the Atria is actually the more accurate.

Valerie so glad you got the snow shoeing in even if you couldn't ski. I've never done either, is one easier than the other? I would think snow shoeing would be a pretty decent workout.

Last edited:
This morning I did JS 30 Minute Fat Blaster from the 30 Day Plan. I burned 209 calories, average heart rate was 131, and maximum heart rate was 153. My husband had his second vaccination today at the Publix pharmacy. I took advantage of being in the store to get some grocery shopping done. The timing turned out to be just right. His wait time ended just as I finished checking out.

Diane Sue, great job with the CDorner Live Advanced Step, Stability Ball Abs, and foam roller session. You had a nice long workout.

Cathy, great job with your after a poor night of sleeping. Taking that nap was a smart choice. The WW topic this week is all about sleep and strategies for better sleep. I am fortunate in that I sleep fairly well, but occasionally I will wake up and have trouble getting back to sleep. I’m going to try to sleep in my Fitbit a couple of nights to understand my sleep patterns better.

Valerie, that’s great that you were able to do the snowshoeing. I must confess that I know nothing about that sport.

Have a wonderful day everyone.

Snowshoeing is WAY easier than skiing. if you can walk...... you can snowshoe. you need snow shoes that fit the way you walk. I need narrow shoes because I walk feet close together almost single file. if you walk with feet further apart, wider shoes will work fine. its not an expensive sport, need the shoes, winter clothing, and probably poles and snow. it helps if there is enough snow to make it worth wearing the shoes. some don't use poles but most people do, especially for up and down hill. its basically hiking without sinking iin deep with each step.
we wanted to ski today at a different place but turns out they closed down last weekend. so then we drove to another road/trail but it was also closed until may 15th. third choice was a road trail we mt bike but too early for biking yet. we walked it up and ack down for 3 hrs 40 min. sunny and pleasant out. any climate that routinely has winter snow you can snowshoe.
skiing has a lot more to it than snowshoeing, and costs more to get the equipment. more dependent on good conditions. skis, poles, bindings and boots plus a place to practice since the first times are not always successful.

Nice to know that snowshoeing isn't hard. Maybe I'll give it a try sometime.

Mainly just popping back in to say WOW! Am I sore from the Kick Punch Cardio workout yesterday and it's gotten progressively more sore as the day has gone on. It had a lot of boxing movements and apparently I was extremely enthusiastic about them. LOL My sides and all across the mid back are just really sore. I'm torn between maybe I should do that a lot more often and I never want to do that again! :eek:

I did Cathe Step Boss I Max 4 as I wanted to see how much different read out is from using the Versa 2 to using my Blaze today. This was 48 minutes, heart rate 141/178 ,289 calories, 3,723 steps(I checked an old entry and average was 122 for heart rate and steps was over 4,000, calories, 73 less) It seems I have not done I Max 4 much. I always got discouraged when I did it. Plus, most of the last 6 months has been Coffey Fit Raw and Cathe Live along with the Perfect 30 dvds. Those are packed right now. I could pull out the external drive with the downloads or laptop, but I will wait.
I also did CDorner's latest mobility workout, Mobility Core Work and Stretch, 30 minutes, 31 calories. 93 steps. This one had planks, boat pose with arm mobility added, some things a bit hard on my neck as I cannot hold those poses without my head supported for very long so I had to hold 1 hand behind my head. She does end this with wrist and hand mobility and a neck stretch:)

Cathy, I have a short foam roller and the 36 inch. I use the 36 inch most of the time. You cannot lie vertically on a foam roller that is shorter. They really do help loosen up some of the knots. When I first did STS I did not have a Fit tower and used my dip station to balance my barbell on and get under it. I hardly use the barbell anymore. Before using the tower I just hoisted the barbell overhead. I did get stuck once in a bad position when I tried to up from 70# to 80 and I could not get the bar off. I had to work at squatting closer to the floor and lowering it sideways. It hurt and I never tried it again after that. I do not lift that kind of weight anymore. The Cathe Vest that I have makes my neck hurt. It goes to 20 #. I took out the weight packets when I packed it. I have been spreading out those weight vests in different boxes along with the ankle weights. Packing is a real pain. Boxing makes my upper back hurt and in turn makes my neck hurt. I love it so much though. Your experiment is interesting. I have sat down and did the math for met values according to my weight etc., and I found I would be under what is posted for the calorie burns per met values. I did this for awhile, but got tired of trying to figure out precisely what it should be. Besides met values are not real accurate either. Even doing that, my met value burns came out higher than the Fitbit. I used to average around 300 calories or a little more for 45 minutes of cardio with the Polar heart rate monitors and strap. So, Fitbit has been quite a bit lower for either of the watches I have.

Valerie, I bet the bluebird was beautiful to see. Nice that you got out snow shoeing. Did you go skiing today?

Carolyn, is that workout from the new Jessica Smith ones or a different one. I think I heard there was no cardio in the new JS workouts though. Not sure. I have not checked them out. I wear my Fitbit to bed all of the time. It does pretty well and I recognize those times when it shows me awake for a bit. I sort of miss the extras with Premium, but I will not pay for it just to use the extra sleep stuff.

we are not going to ski here. the snow is rutted and icy, and no grooming anymore. the season goes longer in WA because of much deeper snowpack. we were a little too late this year but got in a couple skis in january here. we had the second vaccination to get so we didn't have a choice in the delay.
ended up doing a hike yesterday. on a road, then a trail. enough snow to preclude biking there for a while yet so useful info. there is not a square inch of dirt that doesn't have elk or deer droppings but we never see any actual animals. feels like a remote spot but isn't that far off the highway.

Cathy snowshoes come long/ thin, or short / wide, and pretty much one size fits all. I wear long/thin, DH wears short/wide. I cant walk on his shoes at all! its hard on hips and knees to walk wider than normal. the snow has to be deep enough to make wearing them helpful. if its easier to just walk in boots, than that's best. when you start "post-holing" the advantage of snowshoes is clear. keeps your feet drier too since you dont plunge deep down over your boot tops.

Deb where are you this week? is all OK?

Last edited:
Today I did Chiseled Upper Body for 43 minutes and 185 calories burned. My average heart rate was 112 and maximum heart rate was 151. We had the HVAC technician here for hours today. Unfortunately we are going to have to replace our aging systems. We will make a final decision next week.

Cathy, it sounds like you were really into that KPC workout. It’s funny how you can really feel it the next day.

Diane Sue, nice job with IMAX 4 and CDORNER Mobility. I haven’t done IMAX 4 many times either. I just don’t enjoy it as much as I had hoped. The JS workout that I did is not from her new program. I read her emails about it, but I’m not interested at the moment.

Valerie, you must be disappointed with not being able to ski. At least you have alternative activities planned.

Hello to Deb, Judy, and Lori.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.