Pentagenarians & Beyond: Week Beginning: 5/10

Good morning,

Mammo apt went ok, now just waiting for the results. The place I went to has switched to digital imaging, which is much faster, less painful and the tech can show you the images right there as they are done. Kylee's exam came out good, blood work normal, so the vet prescribed a med to stop the diarrhea, she said to watch her carefully, any vomiting or refusing to eat, call them asap. Fingers crossed.

Judy, kudos to you on 90 minutes of spinning...that is amazing. John went to the DR yesterday and he was told to loose weight. and exercise more. ( anything would be "more" at this point). Due to his balance problem, he can't do any fast walking etc, so the DR told him to try a stationery bike....I suggested a spin bike, so maybe I could try spinning...I immediately thought of you and all the spinning you do. Not sure if John would actually do any spinning if we had one though.

DB great job on the WB workouts....are you doing cardio as well, or just the one body part per day? Could you post a link here to your thread over at VF? I have the hardest time finding anything over there.

Valerie, now you all have made me want to try a corn fritter! Whatever that is...LOL :)

Lynda, I like standing abs too, that is why I like a lot of KCM stuff, she does those through out a lot of her workouts.

Dawn, if you can get The Girl on the Train from the library, do that...I don't think it's worth paying for.

Lori, great job on the weight loss, and getting your DH on board. I just did STS disk 7 yesterday, and I cannot believe the number of push ups in that workout. I had to stop half way through the drop sets of them, could not do even one more. She went waaay overboard on them in that workout.

Josie, is your DH getting back to the workouts with you now that he is back home?

STS on board for today, not much else going on here,

Take care,

Deb as I remember, corn fritters are batter with lots of fresh corn kernels. dropped by big spoonfuls into hot oil and deep fried. last had those when I was about 10. I used to drown them in maple syrup. I love pecan rolls too, but I like them better with walnuts. I never liked pecans too much and DH thought they were a migraine trigger for him so I sub walnuts in everything. Lori, a definite cheat meal... no debate there.

Hope Kylee is OK... doggie flu? who knows what dogs will eat when you look away... garden plants? grass? our dog used to eat grass and then vomit all over the place.

Lynda I loved Body Heat and Chinatown. two of my favorites. haven't seen anything like that in a while. the LA one Kim basinger and Russel Crowe & guy Pearce danny DeVito too.... but that's not "new" either.

went mt biking yesterday and it was great. the trails at the tree farm are finally open. we've been sticking mostly to roads because it gets too wet, but they are very nice. we're gotten better at riding and can do things we could not even last year. these are probably not technically hard for good riders but hard enough for me.

ETA LA Confidential

I'm pretty sure I can start upper body stuff again. it's been weeks now and no discomfort. not taking any anti-inflammatories anymore. I do not repeat the last cycle where I though I could paddle and it started it all over.

Last edited:
Cathe WB Yoga Relax Premix

Used the WB to create a short 30 minute stretch off Yoga Relax this morning. Felt like stretching it out this morning and yoga relax is sort of long. Heck the wu itself is 11 minutes. So I subbed a short STS wu and shortened it by cutting out some of the chapters. Plan to try and get in another workout this evening.

Deb-I think using a spin bike would be perfect for your husband, and I'm sure you would like it too. If he doesn't want to do spinning workouts, he could watch sports or a movie while he is riding.

I'll check back in later. Hope everyone has a great day!

Judy

Hello everyone!

This morning I did Bootcamp Boogie (63:00).

Deb, that's great news about Doc Martin. I will probably order the whole series on disk because I cannot wait and watch the episodes on PBS. Does John have any ideas about what he might do for exercise? Yep--fritters are deep-fried batter with filling. I like apple fritters too. DH loves the apple fritters they sell at Stewart's and gets one whenever he is on a long truck ride. You just put them in a microwave. I keep warning him about trans fats, but it goes in one ear and out the other.

Valerie, I have "A Most Violent Year" out from Netflix. It received very good reviews, but never showed up around here in theaters. I will let you know if it's any good.

Lori, that's probably wise to take care not to irritate your shoulders with too many pushups. Good for you on the weight loss.

DB, I sold the two yoga dvds in LIS. I am just not a yoga person I guess. I'm pretty bad about stretching if it takes too long, as it does on the BarreAmped workouts. I will probably pay for my impatience some day.

Dawn, I always get out to vote, but it's so easy in this town--no lines, in and out in a few minutes. Wouldn't want to be a voter in a big city in Florida or Ohio, which both seem to make the news for frustratingly long lines.

Judy, sounds like you are finally mending after the troubles with your hip. Did you ever hear back from that doctor you didn't like?

Hi to Josie!

Hi Ladies,

Yesterday I went spinning at 7:00 AM the Karina came over. Today I took body attack at the gym.

Deb, my DH started our workout with Karina too, he feels so out of shape, but he lost 10 lbs on the road. I hate him ;). He did the trip on his own. I was invited, but I'm not a road trip king of girl unless its on a bike :).

Valerie, my dad used to be a cross country truck driver and one of my brothers is now one to. They both gave my DH advice on where to go and what to see. DH said that it was hard and is glad that is over.

I will be back later.

Josie

I totally missed your comments about DH until Judy mentioned it.
We like our spin bike a lot. spin bikes are inexpensive compared to most equipment. We had a stationary bike before that. The nice thing is you can watch TV or a movie to keep your brain occupied. I'm not one who can put on earphones and exercise, I need to watch something. but whatever works! I think gym memberships are a waste of money for most people.. the novelty wears off, it's not convenient, and most people quit going. I've done it several times in the past and much prefer working out at hom,e.
I know you bought bikes ( at my urging??) and it doesn't sound like you use them much. I love riding and it's pretty easy on the joints. unfortunately your climate will rule out riding half the year so indoor stuff has more appeal. recumbent bikes are another choice. a non elaborate treadmill or elliptical is good, but if you aren't doing a DVD workout, most people need to watch something. I've heard of people reading on machines but that doesn't work for me.

Good evening ladies!

No workout with the ladies today. Heavy package day in the mailroom. When I came home had a quick bite then DH and I worked out. Funny because I was not feeling it and he talked me into it. He rode his bike and I did the Live Cardio Core Circuit.

Deb...so glad Kylee is better. So scary. The hospital I go to has been using digital for mamo's for a few years now. I have been called back a couple of times but all has been good. I am told this is typical with digital. I felt no guilt skipping thru most of the pushups this round and do not feel it compromised my strength gains at all. My DH has a recumbent bike and loves it.

Valerie...you described the corn fritters perfectly. I agree you have done really well with your shoulders. Start off slow and see how things go.

DB...I love yoga when I do it I just never stick with it. I have tried to commit yet I always get bored with it. Maybe if I shortened it like you did. Right now I am working on a Travel Fit WB. I am going away for memorial weekend and want to make up something that I can easily do. I took TF and added in extra hiit when she does cardio. I always felt I needed a little more cardio with this and the WB is just what I needed!

Dawn...Xtrain is such a great program. I may do a 30 day rotation after STS. Hardstrikes is a great upper body and core workout. I love anything kickboxing!

Lynda...yes I am very happy with the weightloss. As much as I workout the weight still came on. I like the 21 day fix and how it really has helped me eat clean and learn portion size. I will be going for lab work in a couple of weeks for my sugar and cholesterol. Hoping for great results.

Josie...don't you hate when men lose weight so quickly. Now that my DH is into the diet thing his weight is really dropping twice as fast as mine!

Hi Judy! Did you end up trying the SB total body fusion the one with the 10lb weights? I just really liked this one.

Have a great night all!

Good morning,

Busy place here yesterday! Good news; Kylee is much better. After just 2 doses of the meds, she is back to normal. Hope it was just irritation, nothing else going on there.

Valerie, keeping my fingers crossed that when you do an upper body workout, all stays well. I would go super light with weights. I have a life time membership to a local gym ( it's where John and I met in 1982) but have not been there in about 20 years or more. I too, like working out at home, so much time saved between driving, etc. We both had road bikes before buying the new ones, and they were old, needed updating. I plan on riding more this summer, now that I have the time. Actually, John took his out yesterday, checked it over, filled the tires etc. We may do the Ride For Roswell ( local cancer research hospital) but not sure yet.

DB, that yoga premix sounds great. I am like Lynda, yoga is just not my thing. Maybe if it was under 30 minutes I would try to fit it in.

Judy, I started looking at spin bikes on line...I have no idea what is considered "good" or what is most important to have etc. How could your DH lose 10 pounds on the road??? I would be tasting and eating everything each area I went through was famous for. LOL :)

Josie, didn't you buy a trainer to use your regular bike as a spin bike? We both have 2 older bikes that we don't use any more, I am wondering if that would be the way to go.

Lynda, John mentioned that his DR said to try a exercise bike....If he wants to do that, I would suggest a spin bike...we'll see. I won't force it on him,, or it will be a clothes hanger in the basement! I agree, I will get the DVD set for Doc Martin as soon as it is released. I did that with season 6. It's so nice to be able to sit and watch whenever you want, and however many episodes you want to watch. Usually you can get a season of anything for under $20.

Lori, your DH is doing so well! that's a great idea to make a "enhanced" TF workout! I wish Cathe would come out with a new all band workout to use while travelling. I am looking forward to Meso 2 of STS. I would be interested in hearing if the 21 DF has had an impact on cholesterol. SB has the Amped workout on YouTube, I put the link on my iPad and may try it out.

Hi Dawn,

A cardio workout on tap, and maybe some yard work today, if it warms up a bit,

Take care,

Deb, Lori is right about digital mammos. they must see more detail because when the clinic I use switched it seemed like everyone got called back for a re do.

Lost 10 lbs on the road?? how is that possible?? If I drank only distilled water for 2 weeks I could not lose that much, certainly not if I was sitting and driving. men!! something different about fat storage goes on with them.

I did 20 on the treadmill, then 3 sets of 15 bicep curls and 3 sets 15 of kickbacks with a 5 lb weight, then Core one... has a little plank work. not even a twinge. DH was hollering at me to take it easy. I had intended to do the whole bicep tricep workout but got talked out of it. I think soon. with light weights. It just feels OK now. but I am going to move slowly.

Deb, I like spinning because it's shorter and intense. If he hasn't done anything in a while, spinning may be too much of a challenge and be discouraging. we haven't spun in a couple weeks and although we've been doing other thigns, DH said it was HARD. start easier. Do you have any old railways converted to trails in your area? out west, it's referred to as a "rails to Trails" program. railroads all had primary access and made fairly level, long uninterrupted right- of- ways. make for terrific trails and easy riding especially for easing back into riding. usually not many streets crossing so few interruptions. Bikes have been revolutionized in the last few years... you will be amazed. we traded in our old bikes two different times now at a bike shop and got decent credit toward new ones. this shop fixes the old ones and resells them. I have a fairly expensive bike now but I use it often and love it.
If he doesn't have padded shorts, get him a pair. mt bike shorts are usually 2 layers, inner with padding and loose outer layer. he probably doesn't want skin tight black spandex! definitely a helmet. lots of people ride recumbent bikes so if dizziness is a concern, these are very close to the ground. you can't fall over on them but they are a workout and you can cover plenty of mileage. less of a sit-bone issue too.
ETA watched Selma last night. I wasn't expecting it to be great, but better than I expected. slow in sections. there's been controversy about how LBJ was portrayed. I don't know if criticism is valid. it was not especially flattering but don't know how 'real" it was. DH is a bit younger than I am and he always seems surprised at the overt, violent racism seen in movies like this and I'm not sure he really believes it was like this as recently as the mid 60's.

Last edited:
Hi everyone!

This morning I did Premix 7 on the legs with contrast training, which ends with abs 1 (46:37).

Deb, that's great news about Kylee. I guess if I wanted to work out in a gym I would just use one of the college's many workout spaces. My sons used their facilities a lot when they were in their teens.

Valerie, 5 lbs. sounds about right for getting back into your weights again. Hope it works for you!

Lori, that customized travel fit workout sounds great. I remember a band workout with Kari Anderson that I had on video years ago that I liked, but it was also kind of dancy--very graceful movements with the bands. I wish she would put it on dvd. I gave all of my old videos to the local library a few years ago. They were just gathering dust.

Josie, I guess your DH does not travel on his stomach if he managed to lose weight. My FIL is notorious for gaining weight on the road trips back and forth to Florida. He likes stopping at all these favorite places and always raves about their specialties. It is also southern food all the way down and up, and probably Paula Deen inspired.

ttfn

Good evening ladies!

Today we did Barre Fix at lunch and tonight was STS legs. My legs are done in!

Deb...I am looking forward to meso 2. If I ever do STS again I may just skip meso 1 all together. Yeah so happy Kylee is better. I'll revisit my travel fit on Saturday. I am actually excited about this one.

Lynda...I had a couple of Step workouts years ago by Kari. At the time I really liked her style.

Valerie...thanks for the info on Selma. I will put it on my list to watch. We have a railway that was converted not to far from where I live. I should check it out. I see people biking and walking it all the time.

Josie...yup mean deop weight on road trips like that and us woman would gain 10lbs. Go figure!

Hi to DB, Dawn and Josie!

http://www.traillink.com/city/buffalo-ny-trails.aspx Deb, check out the rails- to- trails in your area. someone probably has a book published with detailed directions about the trails, where to park, how long, etc. I can't speak to how they are in NY but in WA and ID they are very nice. generally we don't need any special pass to access them.
Hope kylee is continuing to look better.

Just a quick check-in tonight. XTrain Burn Sets Bis and Tris, and a Low Impact Challenge premix to finish things off.
Hello to all and have a good evening everyone!

Good morning & Happy Friday!

I spent a good amount of time yesterday on line looking for a place to go next weekend with the dogs. I found a great B&B, called the on line booking place, there was one room left, and gave the credit card etc. This was in Ithica NY. A little while later I received an e-mail from one of the owners saying that there was a mix up, and that the 2 dog friendly rooms were already booked, the one we booked was not dog friendly, so I needed to cancel the reservation. We were disappointed, the place had great reviews and looked wonderful. We ended up renting a cabin in Zoar Valley from one of John's fishing buddies. They normally do not allow dogs there, but he made an exception for us. I had to reassure him that they would not damage anything, we would make sure there was no hair etc and we would pick up after them...( of course we would do that!)...

Valerie, thanks for the info on spinning etc. I am not pushing it, I'll let him decide and then go with what he wants to do. Listen to your DH on that workout stuff! Thanks for the link...I will need to investigate that. I never knew about those. Go figure.

Lynda, the leg workout you did was the HIIT one? Living near, and working at the college has its benefits for sure. I am with your FIL...if you are in an area that has a food specialty, ( and what area doesn't?) you have to try it.

Lori, I can imagine what your legs must have felt like after those workouts I have STS legs on schedule for today, not looking forward to those wall squats again..ugh. I don't remember, but I hope they are not in Meso 2. I do remember liking Meso 2 the best out of the 3.

Hi Dawn, DB & Josie,

Haircut/color this morning, then class tonight,

Anyone have any fun plans for the weekend?

Cathe WB Legs and Abs

Man I enjoyed the is workout! I took a few chapters from STS Meso 1 plus the bonus legs at the end and got in a ncie 30 minutes of legs. I tacked on chapters from RWH Abs 2 standing and RWH Upper Body Circuit couple of chapters that target the abs/back. Great overall leg and ab workout. I'll be doing that premix at least once a week for my legs. Cathe's leg workouts in STS are too long for me. Don't like working my legs for more than 30 minutes. WB is great for creating the workout you want that you will do.

My hat is off to you Lori for completing the whole workout. I have done it in the past and decided the length of them (just the legs) wasn't my cup of tea. So when I did the rotation I'd sub in other legs that were shorter. Like Meso 2 legs are broken into trisets and I love that concept. I'd take a triset round and call it a leg day. She didn't do that in Meso 1 though.

Deb, so glad you found a place to go with the dogs. Bummer about the first place though. At least you can keep it in mind for a future trip as it sounds just right for you and the dogs.

Valerie, thanks for that link! I'm going to the smoky mountains next week and want to do a little hiking. Not much because the people I'm going with aren't into working out as much as me and I don't really have hiking equipment anyway. But I do want to get in some walking on the trails. That link is nice because it allows you to put in any city/state and pull up trails. Thank you!

Deb, you set the best example by working out regularly. no, "you can lead a horse to water" and all that..... if you do a little footwork and found some easy places to ride, maybe he'll get interested too. "Rail trails" tend to be quite flat and have few crossings with vehicle traffic so they make nice trails for walking and riding. I would not recommend riding with dogs in tow! you can get off balance too easily. at least the place was decent enough to tell you ASAP. too bad you had to change plans though.
we plan on heading to eastern WA on sunday if the forecast stays reasonable. will stay for a couple days. mt biking and hiking, our usual stuff.

ETA DB we posted at almost the same time.... I've never used that link so let us know how it worked and if the info was accurate. my DH buys books for every area we use so we have them handy when traveling so I don't often use online info. also I've only used trails in the west.

Last edited:
Hi Everyone--

This morning I did KCM's Cardio Quick Fix, both workouts (44:39).

Deb, yes, it's the RWH legs workout that has those contrast blasts between weights. I modify the blasts somewhat and sub for those walking lunges with static lunges. What will you do on your weekend getaway? Any planned activities? Ithaca is a great college town. I have given lectures there at Cornell--a beautiful campus.

DB, I think LLA is about 30 minutes legs and 15 minutes abs. I like doing that one because it's not too hard--more intermediate than advanced.

Valerie, I saw Selma when it came out and remember how shocking those beatings were on television. A real wake-up call.

Lori, I had all of Kari Anderson's workouts on video. She was one of my favorite instructors--such a pleasant personality.

Hi to Dawn, Judy, and Josie!

Hi Everyone,

This morning I did a 45 minute Spinerval and my PT exercises. No special plans tomorrow. Sunday I think we are going to Lansing for a stamp show.

Deb, I'm glad Kylee is ok. It's good you found a place to stay with your dogs. Too bad the first one didn't work out though.

I like this brand of spinning bike:

http://www.spinning.com/en/webshop/products/87/all-spinner-bikes

Also, like Valerie mentioned, a recumbent bike might be a good idea. There are some nice stationary recumbent bikes out there too.

Lori-Wow, Barre and STS legs on the same day! That is a hardcore leg day! I might have to try that sometime too. I still haven't done the Total Body Fusion workout but it's on my list of workouts to do soon.

Valerie-great job with the workouts! I've been keeping my leg weights light too.

Lynda- I just looked up Kari Anderson, looks like she is another good fitness instructor.

DB-sounds like a great workout that you put together with the WB!

Hi to Josie & Dawn!

Have a great weekend!

Judy

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.