Pentagenarians & Beyond: Week Beginning: 5/10

fox2star

Cathlete
Good morning & Happy Mother's Day!

The party for my uncle at the assisted living place was really nice. About 20 people there, he was in the best mood he has been in for a while.

Valerie, I can understand how you would want to stall and not go with the in-laws on the type of hike etc that you and your DH would do. Is there a place where they can be in a motel and you camp like you mentioned? Oh, you mentioned that they had a house to rent already...so will you do that trip again with them?

Lori, I hope you enjoyed your meal, you DO deserve it!

Lynda, Hope you enjoyed your Manhattan! Agree on cleaning the refrigerator...I have been a wimp about it, and do one section at a time, ( a shelf here, a drawer there) rather than take everything out and do the whole thing. It seems less onerous to me that way.

DB, it sounds like you are really going to enjoy that WB. Did you also get Cathe Live with the on demand subscription? A workout of a mix of her warm ups would be interesting, I also like her warm ups, and have thought in the past while doing them that they would be a good workout.

Judy, that's great that you were able to do a weight workout. :)

Dawn, Supercuts and all of that series kind of left my brain, don't remember what they were like, but somehow do not feel the need to pull them out again. I don't think they were my favorites, maybe I didn't do them enough to get to like them.

Hi to Josie,

A cardio workout, then HouseMax for me today,

Take care,

HAPPY MOTHERS DAY EVERYONE.!!!!!

Whether you are a mother or not I wish you a very blessed day.

Cathe WB Shoulders & Abs

Did the WB using a rotation I'm loading into My Workouts. It's one body part a day from 2 of Cathe's series. Week 1 was using Slow & Heavy and Gym Style and I just plain don't like S&H so am subbing in those body parts from STS Meso 2. It was nice revisiting STS in a snippet like that. And Meso 2 is my favorite of the 3.

You know this might work for me to get my weights in thru the week because doing it this way keeps the workouts at around 45 minutes and I may be able to work my abs more often. I'll see how the week goes. I was going to wait until June to start this rotation but the WB got me excited so decided to try it this week. I must be excited as Sunday workouts are not the norm for me :).

Deb, I think I got Live because I'm paying almost $20 a month. Was just thinking about that this morning so need to check on it when I get home later on. We're off to church then brunch at a friends house. I don't like eating out on the major Sundays because of the crowd factor. So a nice meal with some friends at their house or mine is my speed.

Supercuts is a really good workout and one of my favorite from that series. I just don't care for the burpee type moves she does in them. It's just not comfortable on my knees to get down like that in a plank position and do those moves. So I've learned to avoid them thru the years and modify by leaning against a chair seat or workout bench and I go so much slower than she does too. That's one feature of the WB that makes me happy, I can eliminate those moves I don't like.

Hello everyone--

This morning I did BarreAmped Cardio Fat Burn (68:00).

We had a lovely dinner last night. They always give us samplings of things, so, as usual, I brought half of my bistro steak home. What did you have for your cheat meal, Lori? You never mentioned what the cuisine is at your favorite restaurant.

Now I have two humongous gift certificates to buy cookware or bakeware. Different places. I guess my sons think of me as the COOK.

DB, you sound thrilled with the new WB. I bet that combo of parts of AB and CS was great. I love both of those. I wish Cathe would do another LIS.

Dawn, some of the moves in Supercuts are very difficult for me as well, but I do like the workout because it is only 45 min. I like Flextrain better, even though it is longer. There aren't any of those strange sitouts and it is a metabolic workout, so I feel like I get cardio and total body conditioning all in one.

Valerie, maybe if your in-laws have rented a house, your problem is solved. Hope you can work something out.

Josie, is your DH back? Any Mother's Day plans for you?

Hi all.. back from another attempted hike. strike 3. got to the road and it was closed off again!. we can't figure out who manages it, thought it was the forest service but a private group has their name on it. last winter we drove to it expecting to xc ski and it was open ( after previously being open, closed by the FS, opened again, closed by the FS, and then opened. last time was late fall, driven on and not enough snow anyway. so we assumed it was open again. got there this morning and it was locked and gated ( new gate) again. Ticked off!! we will call someone tomorrow and try to sort this out. does not help this was the third failure in a row.

Lynda, they rented a house in Morrow Bay ( CA) for next winter. we did pretty much everything one could do in the area already, and it's a long drive. interesting place but touristy. lots of shopping. water activities on the bay... none that we really enjoy. kayaking there put my shoulder back to square 1. this was the place with all the poison oak and amazing supply of wintering birds. I like birdwatching but not enough for day after day. the plants in ordinary gardens were amazing.
Deb, they rent the house for 2 months. we visited for 5 days staying in our camper in the driveway. 5 days was too much. If we stop there next year, it will be a shorter visit. this is DH's family and neither of us can take that much "family time". next year we should stop to see his other sister & brother, keep it short and sweet.

we will just stall and not bring it up. I have no idea where all of us could be happy, and we burn out on too much time with them quickly.... a full week and homicide could happen... I was just whining..I didn't expect there to be an answer!.

movie review: Foxcatcher .. boring, dismal, depressing and not worth the time. I had not looked into what it was about.. I give it 2 stars but only because I reserve 1 star for truly unwatchable ones. there were good people in it, well acted and made, but just dismal.

Last edited:
Good morning!

Some rain yesterday, we actually could use more, the grass was getting brown in spots. The prediction is for thunderstorms later....we'll see.

DB, those sound like great workouts! I'm with you on going to a restaurant on a holiday, we stayed home yesterday and did a nice steak on the grill.

Valerie, that has to be pretty disappointing, going out, packed etc and have to turn around and come back.

Hi to Lynda, Lori, Josie, Judy and Dawn,

A workout, then few errands today, including a pedi, then class tonight.

Take care,

Cathe WB Warm-up Cardio Workout

I took 6 of her warmups and strung them together for a great cardio infused workout and it was perfect! There was a lot of repetitions like back lunges and squats but that was okay with me. Can't believe how much I sweated. It ran 47 minutes, a little longer than I want so I may end up dropping one of them. But what an enjoyable low intense way to get moving first thing in the morning. I used a wu from Cardio Kicks that's 12 minutes+! That was a long but fun one, almost like a Leslie mile. I am having fun with the WB.

Valerie, I'm so sorry you and DH are having such a time trying to get in a good hike. You must be in a pretty rustic area if it clogs up like that and no one seems to be taking care of it like they should. Good luck with your family issues. Hope it works itself out. We don't mind you sharing with us. It's nice when people commiserate with you.

Garance, I know I'm gushing over this WB ad nausea, but I am just having a ball with it. Oh the endless possibilities. Someone requested Cathe create a rotation for us on the blender and I thought to myself, "You have the blender to create your own!". But after I thought about it, I started thinking how cool it would be if Cathe loaded her monthly rotations into the blender somehow so all we would have to do is click on the day to start working out. Right now we can easily do this ourselves with the blender and to be honest I don't mind doing it. Still this thing is so advanced that'd be nice if it were possible.

Deb, I checked and I do have access to it all at the price I'm paying - live and on demand which includes the workout blender. She's uploaded a lot of her live workouts, but I'm still having fun with the blender.

It's been raining off and on pretty much all weekend and thunder woke me at 3 this morning and I couldn't get back to sleep. It's coming down pretty heavy right now and driving to work this morning drove thru a lot of water on the roads. We need the rain and I know the farmers are happy to see it those who have got their planting in already anyway.

Hi Ladies,

Welcome deb2 and Dawn. I'm 58 years old and have been retired since June of 2013 and loving it. I have two kids a DS 35 and DD 24 and 5 grandkids 4 boys and a girl. I live in Los Angeles and enjoy running, cycling and spinning.

It was fun taking care of the peanuts, but I'm glad to be home and I'm also glad that I don't have little ones to take care off all the time :). I will be spinning later on today or doing one of the workouts on Darebee.com. I did a few of the workouts while I was in Fresno and let me tell you, you get a good sweat going.

Garance. My DH returned last Wednesday and is happy to be home. He said that he had a good time and was very lucky weather wise. He put 8000 miles on his Jaguar.

Valerie. I'm with you on visiting my DH's family. I can only stand them for a meal especially my SIL. We had lunch with her in NY and that was enough for both of us.

Lori. Thank you so much for the information on the 21 day fix. I'm going shopping today so that I can start my diet. What did you have for your cheat meal?

Judy, glad that you are back to doing your weight training.

Deb, you are doing great with STS.

Josie

Yes, it was disappointing. It's a little early yet for a lot of hiking routes with lingering snow in high areas, and by mid morning on a sunny sunday, too many people on the accessible ones. we could have found something else to do but DH really got ticked off about the road being closed off again... so did I.... and it was better to go home and regroup. I got to chat with a neighbor, do some garden work, and make dinner without time pressure. What's happened is the forest service has no funds for trail maintenance or road maintenance and consequently they close roads rather than maintain them. trail work is becoming exclusively privately done... hiking groups, back country horsemen etc. the FS might do something if it's a problem that needs heavy equipment or a lot of public pressure, but they seem avoid doing any maintenance work if possible. we pay for a trail pass every year that supposedly was going to fund upkeep, but instead, they seem bent on putting an outhouse/ picnic table at every trail head. then pay someone to write tickets for people who don't have a pass. but the actual trail? tough luck.

I would never ever go to a restaurant on a holiday. I am not a big fan of eating out to begin with and crowds make it too much to tolerate. I'm in the habit of early dinners ( so senior citizen sounding!) to avoid crowds. eating late and a lot of talking late into the evening and.... like we mentioned last week... I can't sleep afterwards. so early is better.

Our packs stay packed all the time, we adjust minor things for particular trips. for this one we needed ( or would have) gaiters, ice axe, and glissade shorts. we have day packs and overnight packs but most of the " inside stuff" goes back and forth from one to the other.

Hi everyone!

This morning I did both low impact hiit workouts together (50:08). The humidity is picking up here, so I was pretty sweaty by the end.

Josie, 8000 miles! Yikes. I hope he saw a lot of interesting sights along the way. Good luck on the 21 day plan. Lori is having great success with it and helping both her DH and office mates at the same time.

DB, that sounds like a great low impact workout you put together, and the WB must be a real triumph for Cathe.

Valerie, I did not want to see The Foxcatcher--I remember how creepy it sounded. So far this summer that hasn't been anything I have really been desperate to see. I am really tired of the over-the-top Marvel comic heroes. Just endless CGI effects and such long films. I long for a really good film noir--like Chinatown or Body Heat. I guess you could be frank with your in-laws and tell them that you think they would probably find the kind of hiking/biking trip you do would probably be too intense for them or too boring. And I'm sure they wouldn't want to buy the equipment/clothing needed for such an "adventure."

Deb, you will have to tell us what color you chose for your pedicure. We did get a little bit of rain, but we need more for sure.

Good evening ladies...

Yesterday I wanted a lower intensity workout so I used the new WB and started off with x10 warm up (love this wu...it's a little workout in its self) then I went on to intensity bootcamp and kick max stretch. Did her live standing abs before the stretch. Ended up being about 40 minutes. I then took chester for a walk. It was so hot and nice yesterday. Chester went for a nice long swim. I was tempted to join him! Today with the ladies we did the 21day barre. No workout tonight.

DB...I am as excited as you about the WB. I have made many workouts using her older system. It has always worked well for me. I asked if they were planning to update the old one and they are looking in to it but not anytime soon. I am pretty sure I have made all the premixes I could possibily want by now anyways. I am ok with this because this new one is unbelievable!! I agree with you that her wu's are great. I may string a few together too.

Lynda...the restaurant in the 1700's was a working saw mill and is now a lovely quaint restaurant that is fine casual I would say serving american cuisine. My favorite dish is the chicken pot pie. I know sounds funny but it is delicious. They serve all your meals with corn fritters with maple syrup and unbelievable pecan rolls. So many delicious calories!

Josie...we are all loving the 21day fix at the office and are having so much fun with it. As of last Thursday I had lost 8lbs. Have not been on the scale since. Wanted to wait a few days after Saturday's meal. I bet you are so happy to have DH home.

Valerie...so sorry about your third hike!!! That is just crazy. I started reading Foxcatcher but stopped as I was so bored with it. A book has to be really boring for me to stop reading it.

Deb...we really need the rain! We have't had any in a while. Yesterday it was 88 degrees here and I loved it.

Judy...let me know if you tried out the SB Fusion workout with the heavy weights. I really liked it and will be doing this one again.

Hi to Dawn!

Hi ladies -
I did XTrain Legs today. It was long, but I got a good workout in. My cat normally joins me when I do my stretch, and it's evolved into stretch/belly rub time for her and a lot of contortion for me. So today when I started the floor portion of the workout, she thought it was stretch time and was laying on her back waiting for me to pet her. I know we were talking about modifying workouts whenever needed, and I'm a sucker for a purring cat.

DB and Lori - You both seem to be having a lot of fun with the Workout Blender and using it in really creative ways! I looked at the tutorial and it looks simple and is only limited by your imagination. I like doing my workouts on DVD, but I also never say never!

Valerie - How frustrating for you to not be able to hike! My family is mostly local, so when we get together it's for a few hours and then we go our separate ways. Maybe that's why we get along so well :) It's hard to spend a lot of time with people who have very different interests and lifestyles. I hope you find a solution that works for you.

Josie - Hi! Nice to meet you!

Hi to the all the rest (still figuring out who everyone is around here!) and have a good evening.
Dawn

Good morning,

Up with Kylee at 1:10...she has something wrong, bloody Diarrhea, and she threw up as well. Will be calling the vet when they open at 7:30. Here I thought it would be Keegan that got sick this week after he ate a big chunk of mulch on Saturday. I also have a mammogram this morning, so will need to take her as soon as I get back.

DB, that WB workout sounds great. It's been raining here too, wicked thunderstorms last night, the lightning was unbelievable. All kinds of "corkscrew" type lights across the sky.

Josie, wow, that was some trip for your DH...cross country both ways...did he go alone?

Valerie, you and your DH are pretty organized when it comes to biking and hiking! I guess you would need to be so that you can take the minimal amount needed for the different types of rides/hikes.

Lynda, I chose a bright purple nail color...;).

Lori, that restaurant sounds great and Chicken Pot Pie? YUM! I never heard of corn fritters with maple syrup...or have ever had them any other way either!

Dawn, LOL about your "cat modifications"....

Wanted to ask if anyone else has read The Girl on the Train? and if so, what you thought of it. It took a while to get it from the library, I was about 270 in line, got the e-copy pretty quick. I guess people were comparing it to Gone Girl, because of the format, but I didn't think it was as good. The first half dragged, and then it got better and about three quarters of the way through, you wanted to find out what happened....

Take care,

Hi Everyone,

Yesterday I did a 90 minute Spinerval. Today will be Muscle Max or SB Total Body Fusion, I haven't decided yet.

Deb-I'm sorry about Kylee :( I hope she will be ok. Keep us posted. Good luck with your mammogram too.

Dawn- I love your cat modifications! I do those regularly too! They love to "help" me with my core workouts :)

Lori-I love the WB! I put together a couple of workouts this weekend. For one of them I put together all of Cathe's Barre/Chair leg segments and it ended up being almost 90 minutes. Not sure when I will try that one..

Valerie-sorry about your hike, that is no fun :(

Hi to Lynda, Josie & DB

Judy

Cathe WB Triceps & Abs

I'm loving this WB. Never thought I'd enjoy working just one body part a day but I sort of enjoy the feeling. Fried my triceps today. And the abs were done using the stability ball which I enjoy. I'm still tweaking the WB workouts I create as I found out this morning I screwed up something on a few of them, now have to go back and redo them.

Lori, live standing abs!!! I haven't delved into the live uploaded workouts yet, but I definitely want that one. I love standing abs and prefer them to getting down on the floor. Thanks for the idea. I created a check-in over on VF so people can share their workouts, questions, and ideas. Amazing that Cathe is still evolving this thing. That X10 wu is my favorite wu ever. I totally agree, it's a mini workout unto itself. Heck couple minutes more and it could be a 10-min low impact workout. Of course I included it in my wu WB mix workout.

Dawn, that is too funny about your cat!. They are such amazing creatures with their own personalities. I don't have any pets because I just don't want to take care of them. I love cats and dogs as long as they're someone else's.

Deb, hope Kylee is okay and your mammogram went well.

Judy, that is a long chair/barre workout. But Turbo Barre is almost 90 minutes too which is why I have never done it. She doesn't even have any 30 minute or less premixes on Turbo Barre. Maybe now with the WB, I can check out some of my more desired chapters and put a mix together.

Josie, sounds like good times with the grand kids. They can be exhausting though at that age so I feel for you. My grandkids are 12 and 14 - way past yours ages.

Lori that sounds like a fun and caloric meal. I haven't had a corn fritter since I was a kid. my mother made them a few times but I never made them. sounds like something I don't want to find out how much I'd like! I remember my plate swimming in maple syrup like it was calorie free.

I also have had many 'cat modifications" I haven't used the treadmill much lately but it was always a riot to turn it on .... Puss would sit there like he didn't notice it was moving... and would be unceremoniously dumped off the end. he also liked to get involved in ab workouts.

Deb, good luck on the mamm and hope you get a speedy "all clear". Hope Kylee is OK... no telling what a dog might eat that could cause problems. maybe she picked up something from another dog at the classes?

Sounds like most of you spend limited time with family. we get along fine...I don't want to sound like an old crank... but it seems best if time spent has limits. everyone is on good behavior for the first approx. 48 hours and then it deteriorates. maybe they think the same about me? we have such different attitudes and interests.

Josie, wow 8000 miles? that is a looong drive. so necessary to break it up. I have no idea how anyone does long haul trucking, for example. we do mileage but make an effort to stop at interesting places to break it up.

we hike/bike regularly... stuff never really gets put away. we each have a several packs. we keep them loaded with basic stuff so it's not a big search if we decide to do something spur-of-the-moment. I keep essentials in zip locks so I can quickly switch from one pack to another. you don't forget important things that way..... usually!

DB...the standing abs are at the end of her cardio core circuit. You do the abs throughout but at the end she strings them all together. I do them twice for a nice little ab routine. Unfortunately, the live workouts are not yet included in the workout blender. I just marched in place while I was queuing it up. Only took a couple seconds.

Hi everyone!

This morning I did ba, rear delts, and bis (52:38).

Lori, that sounds a bit like southern cooking to me. I love corn fritters but, yep, too many calories to have very often. My MIL (southern) makes an incredible corn pudding that is so calorie-laden, I try to have about 1 Tbsp. I do have a decent, not too rich, recipe for a chicken pot pie in a cookbook called The Casserole Queens. It might be the only decent recipe in there. They use puff pastry. It's pretty easy to make as well.

Deb, I read The Girl on the Train. Another unreliable narrator, which is why they compared it to Gone Girl. I totally agree with you on the pacing. I couldn't stand the narrator at first--just a sloppy drunk. Gosh, I hope it's nothing serious with Kylee. Purple is a very queenly color!

Judy, that qualifies for a ballerina's workout time. I guess you eliminate the weights and the final core section from TB.

DB, I like standing abs too. There are several abs workouts like that on my Jazzercise Dancin' Abs, and it's a fun workout as well if you like a little dance.

Off to vote in town elections today!

Today was XTrain Chest, Back & Shoulders. I'm not used to working body parts only once a week (doesn't feel like that would be enough), but they do get worked a bit with Hard Strikes and Super Cuts.

Deb - I hope everything works out ok for you and your pets. That's a lot to worry about today. I saw "The Girl on The Train" on Amazon a while back and for some reason didn't get it then. I looked at the description today and might just pick it up. I finished the last book I was reading a couple of days ago so I'm ready for something new.
Deb2 - good job on your custom triceps/abs workout. Did you use the stability ball abs section from PUB? Some day I want to be able to do the whole thing.
Lynda - Good that you got out to vote today!

Hi to Valerie, Josie, Judy and Lori!

Good evening ladies!

Today was upper body fix at lunch. Tonight was STS bk,sh,bis. I skipped through most of the pushups tonight because I did plenty at lunch and still nursing the shoulders. My shoulders feel great but do not want to be over confident so soon.

Lynda...yes the restaurant does sound southern but it really is not at all. My DH is doing great and has lost some weight and is very encouraged. I was brave and got on the scale and lost another 1/2 lb. Down is down!

Valerie...Not sure how or when the fritters and pecan rolls came along but boy they would have a protest if they stopped serving them. They are as delicious as you remember! Not surprised you have a pack ready to go at any goven moment.

DB...thanks for the checkin over at VF. When I lurk over there I will check it out. After I go through the forums I am planning to play a little bit on the WB. :)

Judy...wow! That is some barre workout. Reminds me when I first starting using the old WB and I put together a 90 minute or so of kickboxing and heavy bag. I need to have tons of energy when I do that workout.

Deb...so sorry to hear about Kylee. Hoping by the time you read this all is well and she is her usual self. I am always so upset when my pets are sick. Purple nails sound beautiful!

Dawn...I have a chihuahua that loves to jump on me when it is time to work abs. I love it and would not change a thing.

Hi to Josie!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.