Pentagenarians & Beyond: WB 3/17

Judy, I take an ashwagandha capsule most evenings and get more deep sleep and rem sleep. It makes me feel a little drowsy too. I take glutamine powder that I just put the scoop in my coffee. It is one of the things Chris Kressor (functional medicine since I know not everyone knows who he is) recommended for Rheumatoid arthritis as it helps with gluthione. It also helps digestion. That is good that you have not caught anything from someone. You must be doing something right.

Anyone else having problems getting on My Fitness Pal? It won't take my password or my email.

I haven't had any problems with MFP yet tonight. I was having issues with it a couple of days ago.

Reactions: WD
I was able to get on it on my laptop, but stil cannot get on it on my phone and tablet. It doesn't accept my email or password.

I had a string of appts all day. got all done successfully without problems but no time for anything else. I try to set them in sequence with a time cushion in case there is a traffic issue.

Judy, cousin talks a good show, but he sits on his butt most of the time. he acts like he has all the time in the world to fix things. he says things like "I can get my blood sugar down in a short time by doing this and that" but most of the time he not doing those things, and that is when the damage is occurring. there is a limit to how far friends and family can suggest without being annoying. I sent him some WW stuff for him to evaluate. I think he would do well with WW. I know him pretty well. we will see. He needs some structure and some rules, guidelines to follow.
that is creepy not being allowed to leave the building during lunch or breaks. it sounds like junior high and high school where we were prisoners. there are probably reasons for the policy but I would not be a happy camper.
we have had 2 days now where it has soared to almost 80 degrees. warm and sunny. more to come. I cant believe we managed to pick this week to spend getting teeth cleaned and other routine stuff. very hard to believe that 5 days ago we had to turn back on a mt bike trip because of too much snow at this altitude. around 500 feet.

Valerie-that's exactly what it feels like-high school. It does feel like being a prisoner. I've never worked anywhere that had those strict of rules. Another one is that you cannot purchase anything while you are working. Like if I wanted to buy laundry detergent on my break I couldn't. They also do their own drug testing, in the store. They do it for new hires and if an employee has an accident while working, like someone using a forklift or other equipment.

Good morning,

No workout yesterday.

Carolyn, was Power Hour part of the monthly rotation? A real blast from the past. Good to do a short cardio warm up. Funny, how things have evolved over the years.

Valerie, that is scary about the cousin. You are doing a lot just getting them out and in the fresh air and moving.

Diane Sue, a good idea to balance things with Romaine. I have not gotten used to kale as a green. I love walnuts though and would not want to give them up. The problem I have is not only being stiff after getting up, but also just from sitting, even a few minutes. Have not tried to go on MFP recently. It still doesn't show my workouts on the newsfeed unless I put in one from the drop down list, along with the real one I did.

Judy, I hope you are able to get a better schedule. I didn;t realize that you could put your availability into the on line scheduling tool. Maybe that is the way to get better days/hours. Wow, not being able to leave the building for lunch? That is pretty restrictive. I can see using the one entrance for theft concerns, but keeping you there when you may want to run to the drugstore etc on your lunch break is pretty rigid. Which Ashwagandha are you taking?

Hi to Lori,

Take care,

Reactions: WD
Judy, Deb said exactly what I was to say. Understand one entrance for theft concerns. breaks are probably not long enough to go out, but lunch hours? sound restrictive like junior high /high school. Don't people want to go out for lunch, like fast food drive thru? In school we had “closed campus” rules. could not leave the building. I didn’t think businesses could do that these days.

He is cousin from husbands side. He asks DH about health issues and worries a lot but is unwilling to keep up even a mild exercise program. It is a risk for us. we are the people he does things with, and wants to do more. If he has a problem ....we will be dealing with it. We are cautious about how difficult hikes or road rides are.
He did this hike last summer along with other hikes similar level but he has regained weight he had lost and had been inactive this winter. he did nutrisystem last yr, complained about cost but lost weight. He lives right on a lovely wooded community trail, pays for a gym but never goes. Then he wants to “do things “ with us but is a burden. we have to slow way down, limits choices of where to go, and then worry every step that he is going to stroke out.
I am finishing with WW and trying to forward some info to him before my access expires. He needs to follow a program where he gets frequent encouragement from others. I think WW would be perfect for him. I see what interests and motivates him. he is a smart guy except for about this.

Last edited:
This morning I did JS Cardio Step Jam for 32 minutes and 252 calories burned. My average heart rate was 134 and maximum heart rate was 153.

Diane Sue, your Ladies brunch sounds like fun. I am always happy to meet someone who is interested in fitness—so many people aren’t. Like you, I prefer to chew my greens these days. The smoothies were a great way to get a lot of vegetables when I was still working. Yes, the biceps section of Power Hour seems to go on forever.

Judy, great job with Rev’d Up Rumble, 4 Day Split Back and Biceps, and the Peloton ride. Does the Home Depot store have food available on site for people to buy for lunch? Not being able to leave for lunch is a strange rule for a business to have.

Deb, Power Hour is on the March rotation. One of the things that I like about the rotations is that they remind me of older workouts. I don’t always remember the ones that I enjoyed.

Valerie, I hope that your cousin is motivated to look into WW.

Hello to Lori. Have a wonderful day everyone.

I wanted to do upper body today, but I really do not want to be pushed for time, so I did cardio again. Tomorrow I will get upper body in. My appointment did not take too long today. Odd eye exam. 3 machines and lots of bright lights that I was staring at. I saw spots for a bit before I left. I had to look at a book that that had numbers in a colored pattern to check for color problems. I am glad that is only once a year.
I bought some Organic Whole Milk Nancy's Keifer yesterday that only has one strain of bacteria that was on my producing histamine list. I read all of the labels to choose something. I wanted some to mix with protein powder and collagen. Otherwise I use nut butter or make a smoothie with coffee and coconut milk. I got a new probiotic that says it is not histamine producing from Amazon. So, I will see if it helps. It is always worth a shot anyway.
My workout started with Lite Cardio Party calorie crush timesaver, 28 minutes, met 8.0, 202 calories, heart rate 142 average, 164 max, 2,576 steps. I then did Ice Low Impact Sweat Blizzard blast 11 minutes, heart rate average 140, max 166 met 9.5, 1054 steps. I finished off with Ice Low Impact sweat cardio #2 and stretch, 21 minutes, met 8.50, 150 calories, heart rate average 133, max 166, 1,383 steps. Total time was 60 minutes, calroies burned 436, 5,013 steps.
I got My Fitness Pal to work finally. I did it while I was sitting in the waiting room and this time it recognized my email and sent me the link and I set a new password. I never used to have these problems with MFP. I had it for many years with the same password, and more recently have had to change it 3 times. This time they sent me the link through UA so I am guessing that UA is the problem.

Valerie, I had canceled my eye appointment twice because of weather so, thankfully today is beuatiful. A little rain around 7 and now it is sunny and should get up to around 60. I prefer not to string appointments together. I guess getting them over with and out of the way is good though. I need to make our dental appointments. I got a reminder card for that saying we were due in April.

Judy, wow on all of those rules. I wonder if all the stores in the nation do that. I wonder why they don't want you to shop during lunch. I know Walmart Super center here has stiff rules. They make it hard on employees doing their jobs and it is all because they have employees that are the ones taking things. Including the devices that take those special things off of expensive packages. They even have to go to the customer service counter to open the plastic container that razor blades are in. It is not as bad as some of the stores though. I went to a different Walmart market once and they had all of the skin care products and aspirin and that sort of thing in locked cabinets by the pharmacy and you had to ask them to open it. I won't go back there. I don't know what to think of them not letting you leave for lunch. A lot of companies have lunch rooms.

Deb, kale is my favorite green. I used to eat loads of spinach and romaine, but I find that kale has a nicer crisp texture. Iceburg loses, it has not taste. I wonder that I even ate it in the past. I have read that massaging kale helps make it more digestible. I am not sure if that is true or not. I get stiff when sitting too. This does not happen every time, but sometimes it is embarrassing. Like when I was at the vet office and got down on the floor with Gertie. When I stood my knee tried to give out on me and it was a balancing act. I wish things would get back to normal for you. You have been working on this for so long.
That is odd that you have to get your workout from the list. MFP doesn't seem to be able to find mine on the list and then when I go to the place to add new workouts it pops up and tells me I already have a workout with that title. Today I put my workout in on the laptop and when I looked at my tablet, it was giving me half my calories on my home page so I just deleted it.

Carolyn, another thing with veggies that I finally gave up on is the lettuce wraps. I decided it was easier to dump all of it in a salad bowl and eat it. Trying to get stuff rolled up in large enough lettuce leaves and not fall apart is too much trouble and not so easy to eat either. I don't need it done like that to make me think I am eating a sandwich.
I would think if a place expects someone to stay in to eat, that they would have food in the lunch area. Home Depot has chips, candy , and soda LOL

We had another very warm day, almost 80 degrees. so weird after the continuous cold and snow. so we rode the road ride trail we always use. 26 miles 2 hrs 13 minutes. it was pleasant and not crowded. will do a mt bike tomorrow. I am seeing a rheumatologist about my wrists and hands tomorrow. my left wrist is looking pretty bad. no injuries, just good old osteoarthritis. I have never tested positive for anything. I have 2 fingers that have contractures. both pinkies, one contracted when I was about 25 . I've straightened out over several years with a little brace device, so it looks much better now and suddenly the other hand pinkie did the same thing. so I'm working on stretching it out. will see what this doc has to recommend.

Kind of sad that employees are thieves, but so much stuff to be had, it will happen.

I like almost all greens equally. DH doesn't like kale very much, and no arugula. I don't like iceberg and am so-so on romaine. romaine can get iceberg-like texture if the leaves are big. arugula might slip past him if its mixed into other greens but I cant have an arugula salad without a war. other greens I use some years, like swiss chard, and then not at all the next year. I never get the idea of lettuce wraps. stuff always falls out and I end up with more laundry to do.

WW just offered me a free month to keep me. I will take it, so more time to try to sell program to cousin. I got thru the winter without gaining, lost 2-3 lbs but I am stuck there. I

Hi Everyone,

Today I did LITE Metabolic Blast and 4 DS Chest, Shoulders & Triceps. It's still cold here, but it looks like it will warm up next week.
I was mistaken about needing to schedule days off 90 days in advance. The schedules are made 3 weeks in advance so it needs to be at least 3 weeks notice. That makes a big difference :)

Deb-I like having everything on the computer, like Home Depot does. They even have an app that I have on my phone so I can look at my schedule and other information there. It's good to be able to change availability too. HD gives 15 minute breaks and 30 minute lunches. The one I work at is kind of in the middle of nowhere, with no other businesses except a gas station close by. The other HD, in Northville, is in an area full of strip malls and restaurants within walking distance so maybe they aren't as strict about the policy there. I didn't leave for lunch when I worked at the health food store, but they didn't require you to stay there.

Valerie- Great ride today! I wish it was 80 degrees here! I remember closed campus in high school. We had that too. I hope your rheumatologist visit goes well.

Diane Sue-Nice workout today! I'm glad you got MFP working. I was thinking the same thing, that all of the big box stores probably have similar rules. I really thought the weirdest one was the no shopping during lunch. We did that all the time at the health food store, but that was a small business. HD does have a nice lunch/break room. They have a TV, sofa, 2 recliners, and several tables with chairs. Also, a refrigerator and microwave. That's really bad about Walmart. I wouldn't want to work there.

Carolyn-Great job with Cardio Step Jam! I've been thinking about adding some JS workouts back into my rotation. HD has vending machines in the employee area but nothing really healthy in them. I keep clif bars and protein bars in my locker.

Hi to Lori!

Have a great night!

Judy

Valerie, I hope the rheumatologist appointment can help. I knew something was off with me because my hands started turning a bit off and my joint between my thumb and wrists juts out quite a bit. That seems to be one of the main concerns with the arthritis doctor that I am seeing. More so than the knees. Have you had xrays ? I like arugula as a base layer under some dishes that have a sauce rather than having rice or pasta. That is nice that you get to keep weight watchers for another month for free.

Judy, nice workout mix today. I would bet they had problems with people leaving for lunch and not returning in the time frame that they should have. I am sure they have a reason. Three weeks notice sounds much better. Walmart seems to have a pretty rapid turn over of employees. It is my understanding talking to some at various times, that they make sure they do not have too many hours so they don't have to pay overtime or give them benefits. My mother in law worked in their jewelry department years ago and working conditions were not good then. I watched an employee walk up to the refrigerator by a closed register, looked around to see if anyone was working and grabbed himself a drink and walked off. It sure looked like he was trying not to be caught, but is seems it would be on camera. He looked guilty when he looked around first. I wouldn't have thought anything of it if he had just took it and walked off. I do wonder about not being able to shop during lunch though. That is great that there is a nice lunch room.

Good morning,

No workout yesterday.

Valerie, you are doing as much as you can for your cousin. The rest is up to him. Also, we could not leave the school grounds during lunch. I think that has changed in a lot of school districts now, and high school kids have their own cars. What do you like about WW the most? I need some intervention/assistance with eating. Maybe I need to join the online WW for help. Which level/program do you use?

Judy, thanks for the info on the Ashwagandha. Yes, that makes a difference, 90 days sounded way too strict. Nice that they have a nice lunch/break room.

Carolyn, you do such a good job sticking to the rotations. :)

Diane Sue, that sounds like a real thorough eye exam. I never heard of one that included color differentiation. maybe I need to experiment with kale more. It just always tasted like bitter spinach to me. Glad you got MFP to work. I have given up on trying to get them to fix the bug I get. I just enter 2 workouts, the real one first, then pick one from the drop down list and show 1 minute, and 1 calorie. Then only the real one shows up on my newsfeed. Very strange.

Hi to Lori,

Take care,

All the HDs here are in strip malls with multiple fast food places with drive thru service. A half hour would be rushed but possible. I assume most people must bring a lunch or eat a bar and coffee or soda. half an hour is tight.

Diane sue I have that protruding joint more one hand than the other. problem is the area on lower inside wrist that doesn’t look right. I get numb hands from road riding no matter what gloves I wear and I change positions a lot. it might be the common reason, pressure on the ulnar nerve from handlebars, plus hand position. My knuckles are getting big and odd looking My mothers family had this trait so I'm not happy but not surprised. mostly I function OK with some tweaks to keep from aggravating it. there is a surgery to replace that joint but I can't believe that would be a great idea unless discom,fort got pretty extreme.

Deb, WW asks you track your food with points. you can eat whatever you want but obviously if you get 23 points for an entire day, stupid to have a 20 point sandwich for lunch! this program is called free Style, and its run thru a phone app. there is an extensive list of "free foods" that you can have as much as you want and they encourage you to fill you diet with mostly free things. almost all fruits and vegies are free as are eggs, chicken, turkey, beans, fat free unsweetened yogurt, 200 things. some exceptions are dried fruits, juices, and fruits in smoothies which have points. avocados have points.
the idea is to get enough to eat, focusing on low point or free things. there is no set diet. you get ideas thru their cookbooks, web site, and other WW users on Connect which is a forum people post on, including pictures. rice, bread, grains are higher in points so while you can have them, you add them into the daily total. some people track every thing they eat or drink. I don't track spices, lettuce, vegies only if they are prepared with salad dressing or fats. so broccoli is free, but if you put cheese sauce on it, you must track that. there is a bar code scanner that gives you instant points from the UPC code. so in theory you could eat 12 bananas a day and it would be legal, but some judgement has to come into play. free foods still have calories so you need to use common sense.
also they encourage exercise but not required. you will get extra points for a lot of movement. I am hard to lose, so I try to stick to the daily points and foods with added sugars & fat run higher in points. You can plan to allow for them if you want.

Last edited:
Today I did Pyramid Lower Body (Intensity Series). That was 56 minutes and 216 calories burned. My average heart rate was 108 and maximum heart rate was 174.

Diane Sue, that was a very comprehensive eye exam. Is there a name for that type exam? I haven’t tried the kefir, but I like Nancy’s yogurt. It’s one that doesn’t upset my stomach. I never understood the appeal of lettuce wraps. I would rather have a salad and it’s not as messy.

Judy, nice workout with LiTE Metabolic Blast and 4 Day Split Chest, Shoulders, and Triceps. I like adding Jessica Smith’s workouts into my rotation. As you know, the WS3 workouts are a bit more intense than some of her other workouts.

Deb, Valerie gave you a good summary of the WW program. The eating guidelines lead you toward foods that are lower in saturated fats and added sugars. You can also look up restaurants to get an idea of the points in a meal before you eat it. The points for restaurant food can be shocking!

Valerie, getting a free month of WW is a good deal.

Hello to Lori.

Today I did Rev'd Up Rumble Time saver #3 no combos, 28 minutes, heart rate average 136, max 163, met 7.80, 201 calories, 2,578 steps. I wore my 1.5 # gloves. I then did Coffey Fit Raw Ascending Upper Body Pyramid, 64 minutes, heart rate average 119, max 159, 1,729 steps, met 6.5, 345 calories. For the long rests I did mostly abs, planks, mountain climbers, some speed skaters thrown in and nearer the end I did some standing lower body stretching. I liked this this time better than the first two times. Although the first time I split the workout up. I finished with Lite Stretch #2, 11 minutes, 31 calories, met 3.5. Total time was 1 hour 43 minutes, 4,318 steps, and 577 calories.
Weights for Raw Pyramid all done in 16,12,10,8 reps
Chest
bench press 12,15,20,25 # dbs
flys 10,12,15,20# dbs
Shoulders
upright rows 10,12,15,20 # dbs
lateral raise 8,10,12,15# dbs
Triceps
seated overhead triceps extension 1 db used 15,20,25,30# db
skull crusher 10# dbs, 12# dbs, 15# dbs, 1 35# kettle bell
Back
seated double arm rows 15, 20,25,30# dbs
1 arm row 15,20,25,30 # db
Biceps
curls 12,15,20,25# dbs
double arm pledge curls 10,12,15,20# dbs

Deb, I had never really eaten kale till about 6 years ago when I tried some vegetarian dishes and had purchased the cookbook by the woman who makes Tony Horton's meals a lot. I liked it so much that I pretty much did not want to eat spinach that much anymore. Years ago I only wanted to eat iceburg lettuce and now I do not even like to get iceburg lettuce salads in restaurants. I make sure and not get the stem parts in the salad and tear it into tiny pieces. I like to put berries, apples diced, etc. in the salad with a few dried cranberries and pecans or walnuts, and a bit of onion. Then a dressing which is usually a honey mustard vinegar dressing or homemade ranch made with avocado or nut oil. I will snack on it if I have some left in the refrigerator.

Valerie, I would avoid surgery. I would have to be a real last resort as that usually ends up causing other problems. The Dr mentioned that I wasn't ready for surgery yet. I looked at him thinking that I would not come back if he suggested it at this point. My mother had joint problems, I imagine it would have gotten worse, but she passed when she was a couple of years younger than I am.

Carolyn, I would have thought that Intensity Pyramid Lower would have burned more calories than that. Your heart rate was up there pretty well. I wonder what the met value is on that one. I find it odd that the newer workouts seem to have higher met values than the older ones do in the workout manager. I wonder if they changed their system or something. My calories drop significantly when I figure out Cathe's met value with my weight and numbers. Then I am still a bit lower than that. But, I am understanding it better.
I really do like the Nancy's keifer. It is a thicker texture than some that I have used. The full fat is really good. It doesn't seem to bother me. Some do cause some stomach distress. I have also used the Green Valley lactose free keifer.

The eye test was supposed to be to make sure the Paquinel (hydroxychoriquine) does not cause any eye problems as sometimes it can be irreversible. From what the tester said different eye doctors use different types of equipment. The arthritis center I go to seem to have all of the latest and top of the line equipment. One machine had me cover 1 eye with an eye patch and it was to check peripheral vision. I had a clicker and it too 3 minutes for each eye for me to see tiny flashes of light dots and click as soon as I seen them coming in from different angles. Some were bright and some were very muted. This was for depth perception. I also had to read an eye chart, look at the color differences as she says that one of the eye issues can cause problems with colors. Those pictures reminded me of those pictures with something in them that not everyone can see, except it was obvious there were numbers in the pictures. One was a squiggle design and I kept trying to come up with a number for it and when I was done she told me there was no number there :) Then there was a machine that I guess analyzed something in the eye. It had extremely bright lights and I had to stare at a + sign in the middle one eye at a time. It ended with another machine that needed my eye to dialate and she says she likes it so much better than the drops. It had such a bright light and felt like I had just looked at a bright light bulb or tried to look into the sun. That was fairly quick. The one with the bright dots and the other one where I had to stare with the light and not blink left me with watery eyes. Anyway I do this once a year.

I got a joint injection. not sure is doing much, but will wait for a week before deciding. the joint at base of my thumb is basically not a joint anymore. the right one is less workable too, but it doesn't bother me. weird its the non dominant hand. xrays show the hard truth.
no I was not really supposed to.... but we went mt biking this afternoon, but nothing hard. I was supposed to rest it for 24 hours so I put on a snug wrist brace and padded gloves. there is no shift lever on the left, I can brake on that side with outside fingers. It was protected and didn't get even jiggled very much. it is the joint at base of thumb involved in the "pinch" move, when you put thumb and index finger together and try to squeeze. oh crap, it hurts and doesn't do much. this is the " squeeze move" to open child proof bottles. I take a hammer/screwdriver and knock out the plastic that locks up those bottles. they are not all the same. its either that or leave the lids off, which is not a good thing. I have been doing the right thing by not trying to flatten my hands and doing push ups etc with a fist position or on legs of equipment. I have other problems with my hand too, but it is just good old osteoarthritis. no surgery unless it is really really unpleasant.
yep, if we live long enough, we develop all kinds of breakdown issues. she did not suggest surgery.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.