Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 9/22

We made it all the way without serious mishap. we had thought about staying midway because we had our camper, but the badly done skylight had to be duct taped down ( another use for duct tape) so it wouldn't fly up while driving. when I checked the forecast, it was supposed to rain in most WA last night and today, and a leak would be bad too. so we drove the whole thing. 12 hrs 15 minutes, plus time to unload. I never sleep well after a day like that. I get wired and wake up constantly so today will be a rest and shopping day, plus the PO. lots of mail waiting.

I need to get fasting labs drawn too. I do the same thing, take a coffee and a bar along so I don't have to wait too long. I get a headache and am too hungry!

Today’s workout was LiTE Stacked Sets Upper Body for 41 minutes and 245 calories burned. Average heart rate was 123 and maximum heart rate was 153. I think that my problem yesterday was that it was just too long without food. I ate dinner around 6:00 pm and it was 9:30 the next morning before I could eat my snack. I try to get to the office for labs as soon as they open at 8:30 but the staff was slow yesterday.

Today I had a dental appointment. One of the young women told me that she really loves my silver hair color. I find it so strange that young people are dying their hair to look like what Mother Nature has given me!

Valerie, I’m glad that you made it back without difficulty. Yes, it was smart to get ahead of the rain.

Have a wonderful afternoon ladies.

Today I did Jessica Smith at home fat burning cardio blast youtube, (I modify overhead arm moves and too fast of arm movements) 15 minutes heart rate average 135, max 158, 1,201 steps,97 calories. I then did her youtube standing abs (more modifying arms) 9 minutes, heart rate average 96, max 116, 45 calories. I then did physical therapy exercises and some extra stretching, 70 minutes, 120 calories. Total time was 94 minutes, 261 calories.

Valerie, I am sorry that skylight is such a problem for you. Yes, duct tape does wonders for things and stays well. Glad that you made it home safely. I do not like those long trips without a break in between. I have done too many of them.

Judy, I may end up purchasing some of the Jessica Smith workouts. I was going over my calendar and I guess this week is 10 weeks since the shoulder problem started. I am impatient with the slow progress I am having.

Carolyn, my doctors office used to be open on Saturdays for half a day for sick patients and I was able to go get labs done then ahead of time before my visit. I finally realized though that lately sometimes the doctor wants to add another lab test or things are ever changing, so I just wait till my appointment. I try to get my appointment as early as I can too.

Good morning,

Well the work in my basement/front yard is finally DONE! It was waaayyy more than they thought it was going to be, once they got into it. Too much to describe it here, but let's just say, 2 more days of work that they did not count on. Now to get things back to where they belong, or tossed, whichever works best. :)

Valerie, without Netflix, unless that program is released at some point on DVD, so I can get in the library, I will probably have to miss it. :( It sounds like a good one.

Diane Sue, that is great that you are making progress with the PT! I got my back brace yesterday, and am frustrated that there were no directions on how to put on, tighten, etc. There was more information on how to use it in the Amazon listing. I am going to email the supplier for info.

Carolyn, Smart that you brought a snack for afterwards, but still awful that you had to go that long without food, enough to make you ill. Our lab here starts at 5:30 am...that is the time I try to set up for.

Judy, great workouts! We are having similar weather here.....50's at night, (love that we can just keep windows open and do not have to run A/C), and 70s - 80's during the day.

Hi to Lori,

Take care,

This morning I did JS Steady, Ready, Go from the Burn Fat and Have Fun dvd, a low Impact HiiT Walk. It was 31 minutes and 217 calories burned. Average heart rate was 129 and maximum heart rate was 151. I decided that I didn’t want to do the RWH cardio from the rotation today.

Deb, I’m glad that your basement and plumbing work is finished. Projects always seem to be more involved than you think. Good luck with getting things in order.

Diane Sue, I don’t think that you will regret getting JS dvds. They are good for a change of pace, which is what I wanted today, but can easily be paired with other workouts.

Hello to Valerie, Lori, and Judy.

the lab here is open early too. a big group with multiple locations, I can go to any for the draw, and most are open by 6 am. might even be earlier for some. makes it convenient so I don't have to sit and wait. Deb, I haven't looked but likely someone has put a video on Utube on how to use the vest.

I'm not sure how Netflix original productions get released other than Netflix. some things may get into wider release but I don't understand how that system works. we streamed it, don't know if it is out on disk but will take a look. we still get Netflix DVDs. inconsistent... what's available streaming and what's on dvd.
( ETA Deb, I do not see it listed as a DVD on Netflix) I googled it sounds like a one season series, everything gets tied up nicely at the end. if you read about it, there is spoiler info in the discussions. even knowing how it turned out, I still think it was well worth watching. I didn't see any info about release anywhere else.
we are now watching an Australian legal drama series called Janet King that as far as I can see is only DVD. its confusing! no idea what rules govern this.

congrats on getting drainage fixed. water where you don't want it is troublesome for sure. Hope you are done with it.

Last edited:
I did youtube Jessica Smith 1 mile walk belly, buns, thighs, with the warm up and start of another of her workouts that I switched because it jumped into jumping jacks, 21 minutes, heart rate 139 average, 166 max, 2,021 steps, 134 calories. I also did her hips and glutes focus, 19 minutes, heart rate average 95, max 132, 220 steps, 71 calories, and finished with physical therapy exercises, 40 minutes, 71 calories, 122 steps. Total time was 80 minutes, 276 calories, 2,363 steps.

Deb, here is one that I was looking at for posture correcting. I bookmarked it. I don't know if Amazon has it or which one you ordered. Wondering if this page will give you an idea of how to put it on since it has pictures.

I just went to look at Amazon. I know the one I have bookmarked is made in the US. There are suggestions on how to wear and how long to wear. I always thought you were supposed to keep them on all of the time. It makes more since to start slowly and not to wear all of the time. I had one years ago. I think I was in my 20's LOL I remember trying to wear it all day and now as I read I think I may have had it on too tight. They are probably softer material now.

I ordered a Mckenzie neck roll from a different seller than Amazon. It will be here Monday. My pt said I need neck support when sleeping. Right now I have a hand towel rolled up and tucked inside my pillow case with my pillow so I can have it under my neck.

Carolyn, nice choice for a change of workouts. I would get tired of too much RWH cardio.

Valerie, that is nice that you can go in that early to get labs done.

Last edited:
For those of you who have Jessica Smith dvds, do you have the actual dvds or did you purchase downloads. The only place that I saw dvds was on Amazon. Otherwise Total Fitness did not have any and her website is digital downloads. I saw she does use Roku. Amazon has a few downloads that can be purchased.

Diane Sue, I use Jessica Smith’s dvds that I bought from Amazon. I think that she only sells them there. Her website sends you to Amazon for dvd purchases.

Last edited:
Reactions: WD
No workout for me today. I decided to make this a rest day. I went shopping for a new dress and came back with two . I needed to add to my fall wardrobe since I haven’t really bought many clothes the few years. That’s one area where I see a big financial savings since I retired.

Has anyone noticed how expensive vanilla extract has gotten? I was shocked by the price of the 16 oz bottle in Costco yesterday. It was $22.99 which I thought must be a mistake. However, I did some research after I got home and read that the price for vanilla is up 1500% over the last three years.

Waving hello to everyone. Have a wonderful afternoon.

carolyn last time I bought Costco vanilla it was $30 for a bottle, and Mccormicks was $35. think they were both 16 oz. I pay because I like vanilla and the imitation ones smell funny and don't taste right to me. I think there is a problem growing the trees where its produced mostly Madagascar. storms destroyed a lot of trees and its a labor intensive crop to harvest. I probably use a bottle ever year and a half to two years so its a chunk of change to put down for what used to be cheap. the small bottles cost more per ounce so I get the 16 oz and don't think about it for a while. Mexican vanilla and imitation don't work for me.

loads of garden work today. that was the workout. I have to whine a little. while we were gone, a tomato plant fell over and took down a section of our eight foot fence. tomato plants get to be 6-7 feet tall here and are in wire cages to hold them up, so when they topple.... its a big deal. the deer jumped on the opportunity. they ate the tomato plants, beans, zucchini, swiss chard, beets tops, kale, winter squash plants. most of it was dwindling at end of the season anyway but they had a PARTY eating everything in sight. we cleaned up most of it today. winter squash are fine they only ate the greenery. beets will be fine, kale will grow back.

Last edited:
Today I downloaded JS Walk Strong get fit have fun workout 1 from Amazon. I did that one and her short youtube stretch with PT exercises. I probably did not get as many calories from Walk Strong as I could have if I wasn't limiting arm movements. Walk Strong was 30 minutes,179 calories,heart rate 135 average, 164 max, 3,027 steps. PT was 68 minutes, 110 calories. Total time was 98 minutes, 289 calories.

I was not sure how doable the other two WS workout were on this dvd. One I think uses a step which is fine as long as I am not on my hands or lifting weights or anything. I was unsure. I need previews I guess. I can buy the other two for 4.99 each.

Carolyn, I end up picking up small bottles of vanilla. I saw another lady looking at the vanilla in Walmart and she put it back and walked off. It is way overpriced and I do not buy the imitation.

Last edited:

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.