Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 9/2

Today is a rest day. I need to try to plan out what I want to do this next week so I don't waste so much time looking over the live workouts. Tomorrow evening we are taking our youngest daughter to dinner for her birthday. I still need to find a date that works with the family for a family get together for her birthday. As the grandchildren are going to college and working it is harder to get a day that works for everyone.

Deb, I hope things went well setting up and working the obedience match this morning.

This morning I did two short yoga workouts. First was Jane Adams Morning Energy practice for 18 minutes. After that I did Element Yoga with Alanna Zabel, the Stress Relief Restorative practice for 27 minutes. Both were good for my rest day.

Diane Sue, I understand about planned out workouts beforehand. I need to do that also. I will do the September rotation, but there are some days that I want to change. I made that roasted vegetable salad yesterday and served it with grilled chicken. It was delicious and we really like the dressing.

Deb, I hope you had a good day with no hip pain.

I hope everyone is having a wonderful weekend.

We did a road ride today 25 miles. took about 2 hrs 15min with a long bathroom break in the middle. started out pretty cold and then warmed up into a nice sunny day. no traffic to start with. we had not ridden this area in a while because of too hot, then smoky, and also loose gravel road maintenance work. in a few weeks it switched from summer to fall. yesterday was 15 miles but much more leisurely.
I finally found a farm that grows decent corn. it is sweet but not super sweet, and we will eat a lot of it since our crop is done for the year.

Deb hope the set up went well and that the hip is improving.

You all impress me with planning your workouts. I like to think I will but I don't. I try to plan outdoor activities but often weather dependent so we need flexibility. after that, I stick in whatever workout sounds good at the moment. we usually plan to hike or ride but indoor things are whatever sounds good at the moment.

I also want to give the salad a try. will get some sprouts, squash or sweet potatoes. our squash won't be ready to harvest for another 6 weeks, and then it has to cure for a while too.

Carolyn, I made the whole roasted vegetable salad recipe, so warmed the veggies a bit in a skillet as I ate the salads. Actually I had three meals out of it, but then I did not have as many brussels sprouts in it. I ate it with chicken for one of my meals.

Valerie, it would be much harder in your case to make a plan for workouts, since the main focus is getting in the outdoor workouts that you love to do..

Diane Sue, I did the same. I heated some to go with today’s dinner. I had more squash than brussel sprouts.

Reactions: WD
Good evening ladies!

Been doing great with my workouts. They have been keeping me sane! I have been working so many hours. Never have I had to do this many hours. Everything going on with our company does not give me a lot of time to plan so unfortunately, I just needed to bite the bullet and put in the extra time. Once it is over I will be back to posting regularly. Right now I come home and pretty much go to bed. Thank goodness I workout in the mornings! Still doing 80 day and adding in the usual bounces, barre and Raw workouts. I love Kelly’s streaming and glad I gave it a try. I also bought BBS’s newest dvd...Arms, Back and Core. I did this one yesterday and thought the upper portion was really intense. Chelsie and I started working out yesterday. We are just bouncing and will start Double Time when I come back from conference. I leave on the 7th and return on the 12th. Can’t wait for the 12th! It was beautiful here today and my husband and I got in some much needed relaxing in the pool. Felt great to do absoultely nothing for a couple of hours.

Diane Sue...I try and plan out my week. But it never happens. Other than doing a rotation...I usually decide what I am going to do while having my coffee in the morning. I just try and alternate my workouts by upper, lower etc. My husband recently started looking into Probiotics and wow they are expensive! I liked the Raw Fitness Test. I felt it flew by.

Valerie...I just started eating Salmon within the last 3 months. I never cared for it before, but now I can’t get enough of it. Go figure! I also one that loves a good steak. :oops: I bet you are glad the skylights are done and behind you. Nice ride today.

Deb...looks like PT has been going well for you and you have been back doing some good workouts.

Carolyn...I bought JS’s Fusion workout too. Thanks for your review. After previewing it I thought it was going to be one of those workouts that is a little more challenging then anticipated. Glad I was not wrong. I am looking forward to it even more now.

Judy...I see you bought Jessica’s new workouts also. Would love to hear your thoughts too.

Have a good evening all!

Good morning,

No exercises yesterday except for PT stuff. My hip seems slightly better. The PT guy told me it was not going to happen overnight. Kylee did great at the match, I was pleasantly surprised at how well she did the new stuff we are starting to learn.

Diane Sue, I always felt better when I had the week's workouts all planned out. Not that I frequently did not sabotage the plan. :). Yes, the bigger the family gets, the harder it gets to nail down a date where everyone can get together. Even with only 7 of us just to get the "Girls Hot Tub" party my cousin had at her house last month organized was a chore.

Carolyn, your yoga workouts sound like a nice way to have a rest day. I went over yesterday to the rotation forum, but Cathe had not posted September yet. I don't do her rotations, but always am curious to see what she has planned.

Valerie, how nice that was that you got to do that ride that you had been avoiding for a while. Understand why you could not do much planning for your workouts, since they are pretty dependent on weather and other conditions.

Lori, Good job keeping up with the workuts. You have really been swamped with work. You should take a few days off when the conference is over to just relax and re-charge!

Judy, hope you are having a great time on your visit.

Take care,

This morning I did Flex Train for 1 hour 2 minutes and 340 calories burned. My average heart rate was 118 and maximum heart rate was 142. Flex Train is the first workout in the September rotation.

Deb, it definitely takes a while for PT exercises to be effective. Cathe’s September rotation is on the home page of Cathe.com. The rotations give me a starting point and reminds me of some workouts that I might not remember. I frequently change them to match my mood, but the structure is still there.

Lori, it’s good to hear from you. I’m glad that you are keeping up with your workouts. That definitely helps with stress management.

Hello to Diane Sue, Valerie, and Judy.

Today I did Cathe live Lower Body Bootcamp, 61 minutes(actual 58 minutes), 1,533 steps, 270 calories, met 4.0. I then did a Sarah Beth Yoga from youtube, morning yoga, 21 minutes, 46 calories, met 2.0. Total time 82 minutes, 316 calories. We took our daughter and grandchildren to dinner for her birthday and had a nice visit.
Live Lower Body Bootcamp
No moves are repeated. Cathe suggests weights up to 20# or whatever you would use for deadlifts. Uses a mat for some moves and a high step with up to 4 risers. 6 rounds of 4 moves
Round #1
Deadlift 30# dbs 18 reps
Squats 25# dbs 26 reps
elevated pick up lunge 12# dbs
core- plank on forearms forward/back move with leg lifts
Round #2
step up lunge back 12# dbs 12 reps
light weights as markers 12# dbs side lunge reach alternating 24 reps
cross back lunge pulse style 4 sets of 15 and 1 15# db
core- leg thrusters
Round #3
Drop squat off side of step 15# db each side 20 reps
pulse lunge 6 sets of 3 pulses and 2 lunges each side 12# dbs
pick up squats 20# dbs 12 reps of putting down and picking up
core-triangle choke hold 12 reps
Round #4
pulsing reverse lunge off step 14 reps 12# dbs
walking lunge 4 pulse steps with plie squat
calf raises 15# dbs 50 reps
core-reverse curl push out 12 reps
Round #5
front swing abduction 16 reps on high step 12# db (next time I will use a 10# db)
holding 12# dbs front leg raise 64 reps each leg
pivoting sumo squat 15# db ending with 2 sets of 15 pulses
core-double leg extesion 12# db
Round #6
single leg deadlift 12 reps 15#
outer thigh lifts 64 reps with mat over high step and on side
8# high step glute raises 80 reps on second set when she adds a bonus set (not sure what I did on first set
core- windshield wiper

Lori, wow, you really are working a lot of hours. I hope they really appreciate you. I often change my mind on planned workouts, but if I have something in mind, it can save me some time on the decision making. I had a whole list of workouts I want to do for both cardio and for weights. Then I got in the workout room and felt I was not up for most of them since I have been having some soreness since that colonoscopy. I was better this morning, but decided I did not feel like jumping and running around and also did not want a lot of core work, although what I chose had a bit. I did upper Saturday so lower bootcamp fit the bill.

Deb, that is great that Kylee is doing well on learning the new stuff. She is probably having fun doing it. I am sorry the PT stuff is taking so long. I am sure you will work through it eventually. I got out my therapy balls today after the lower body workout to check out my hip and there was no sore spots like before. I just wanted to be sure I wasn't ignoring something that could be brewing. I have been better about the stretching.

Carolyn, nice work with Flex Train. I always liked that one, but wondered why the other lean leg and abs one felt like the first part of it was the same as flex train with the compound moves.

Good morning,

Only PT exercises yesterday. We took a ride with the top down on the convertible, Kylee was in her glory. :) Stopped at a place that has a nice park like setting with tables, and had lunch there.

Carolyn, Flex Train is a great workout. I did finally find the September rotation on the Home page, in her blog. Not sure why she would not have put it in the rotation forum at the same time. I would really like it if she made the rotations with CD workouts, and along side put the equivalent of the Live workout that could be subbed for it.

Diane Sue, I had never heard of soreness after a colonoscopy.....is that something you might want to ask the DR about that did it? Nice work on that Live workout. It looks really good. I have to remember that one for when my hip is better. Right now, it has a lot of moves that I would not be able to do.

Hi to Judy, Lori & Valerie,

Hope everyone had a nice holiday weekend,

Take care,

This morning was cardio. I did Cathe Live Ready Set Step, 45 minutes, heart rate 133 average, 159 max, met 5.9, 293 calories, 4,431 steps. I then did Cathe Live time saver Step Grooves, 35 minutes, 225 calories, heart rate average 125, max 149, 3255 steps. Total time was 80 minutes, 520 calories. I need to head to the bank. I want to get back so that I am here when they deliver our reel lawn mower. They have quit bringing packages up by the door as much and leaving them set by the gate. That may not be UPS though. Probably USPS. Fed Ex is the worst. I have had them throw them down outside the gate or heard packages that were tossed over the gate hit the pavement. I purposely keep Gertie inside when I know packages are coming so that is not the issue. We had a nice time last night with my daughter and her children celebrating her birthday. We are having a family celebration on Sunday. I need to go pick up some things.

Deb, I read up on the post colonoscopy stuff and referred back to my check out sheet. There should not have been the pain and discomfort I started feeling. It is almost gone now. The odd thing was that it started getting worse on Thursday and the colonoscopy was Monday. I have adjusted eating, rested a lot, Sunday I spent most of the day lying down. The thing is, the whole area has been tender to the touch. It is no longer tender,but I am having to work on getting my digestive system back in check. There has been a lot of cramping. Yesterday I was feeling almost normal except a lot of movement and walking I could sometimes feel soreness in my lower abdomen. Today there is none. I went to Sprouts yesterday and bought MRM L Glutamine powder since it is supposed to help intestinal health. I put some digestive enzymes in my cart and somehow didn't get them. I still am going to get some to use for awhile. I have kept up with the probiotic. I just did not have a problem last time like this. There was no fever with it and I decided to work on it a bit and give it time. If it kept up I was going to call the doctor. I just really did not want someone poking and probing the area needlessly. I realize there are mishaps and things that they can cause while doing the colonoscopy.

Valerie, there are other titles other than just vegetarian, but I guess that you would still be explaining what it was. It is easier to just say you don't eat red meat. When we went to the restaurant last night I got the roast chicken and had them give me a baked potato instead of the mashed potatoes, and mixed veggies instead of baked beans. I do not eat beans. Right now would not have been a good time to eat them and generally they are too sweet when made into baked beans. It is eating at other peoples homes that makes it difficult to not eat certain things.

Today I did All Out Low Impact HiiT for 42 minutes and 295 calories burned. Average heart rate was 129 and maximum heart rate was 155.

Deb, it seems that the monthly rotations appear first on Facebook and Cathe’s blog before they are on the forum, especially after holiday weekends.

Diane Sue, I’m glad that you had a wonderful evening with your daughter and her family. Nice job on the Cathe Live step workouts today. That’s really annoying to have packages delivered in such a careless manner. We have been very fortunate with UPS and the Postal service deliveries. They know us and are very courteous. Fed Ex is okay, but we don’t have many deliveries from them.

Hello to Lori, Judy, and Valerie. Have a wonderful day everyone.

Did chiseled upper body the 35 min premix and core 1. there are a couple exercises in there that I don't care for, and the premix knocks them off the list. one is windmills, discus throw, bear crawls. I don't think they are hard, but a tweaky position. I do some extra push ups to make up for what is dropped.

My theory is that riding and hiking gives me reasonable lower body work, so I try to do upper work when I do something indoor.

Lori glad you checked in... wondering where you were! I have gotten to really like salmon. too bad DH won't play along. Judy hope you are having a good trip.

ETA I posted this yesterday but it somehow is sitting at the bottom of the thread.
we were going to hike today, but it is smoky in the mts so will ride instead.

Diane sue, I did not eat even chicken or fish for 30 years. it was challenging to eat out and be a guest at someone's home. you can hear the "panic" in peoples voice when you say "vegetarian" and they know they can't hand you a hot dog or burger! chicken and fish makes for more choices but still not a big part of my diet of vegies, fruits, grains, eggs, beans, diary.
You are so right about Fed Ex!. they used to be the best, and now the drivers toss a package close to our driveway right on the road. the brown box on the brown dirt is barely visible. our driveway is not a big deal, easy to turn around but they still fling it and drive off. both UPS and USPS are 100x better. we have a covered entry way where packages are out of the rain.

I can't think of any reasons for you to be sore from that procedure so long ago. you should at least report it to your doc and see if they are OK with soreness this long afterwards.

so funny Deb... why do dogs love the wind in their faces?? I can just picture Kylee!

ETA once more. 2 hours mt biking this morning after a failed short drive toward the mts but decided it wasn't worth it.

Last edited:
Carolyn, UPS put the package on our covered doorstep. It has been raining. I think we are getting rain all week. I have seen Cathe's Rotations posted on Pinterest.

Valerie, I always find windmills uncomfortable. One side it is not difficult to do , but the other is just very uncomfortable. I am feeling fine today. I really am not wanting to call the doctor. I am sure they will be insisting on me coming in. None of the symptoms seemed related to what I read about problems after colonoscopy. I would think if they caused a leakage or pierced something things would have gotten gradually worse. No bleeding at all or fever.
I have had to call a couple of times and file a complaint with Fed Ex because they have broken things. They probably don't care for me too much. The supervisor called me and asked if I could withdraw my complaint on the girl that threw the control panel for my dishwasher over the gate. He said she was a really good worker and he hated to see this happen to her. The appliance place suggested that I file the complaint. They sent me out another and it arrived the next day. The same thing happened with a freezer door gasket that I had ordered. We were gone overnight and they had tossed the box on the walkway and it had came open with the gasket spread out on the pavement.

Good morning,

Yesterday I did the Live 2018 Glassboro Upper Body with Core workout, 41 minutes, 215 calories, plus my PT stuff.

Diane Sue, that stinks about the packages. Maybe some delivery people have seen or heard Gertie, and are reluctant to open the gate? Still no excuse for tossing it over!! :(. As for the pain etc from the colonoscopy, all up to you, but since that is so rare, I might call the DR and just run your symptoms by them. If they are normal for some then they would know. I can understand why you would not want them poking and prodding, but it is good to know that nothing went wrong there. Any report to a FedEx facility of that kind of delivery shenanigans would be dealt with severely. They are pretty serious about their reputation. ( take it from one that worked for them for 15 years). I am very surprised that they asked you to withdraw your complaint, but figure it was because the woman would be terminated immediately, and the supervisor felt sorry for her. Once one of those types of complaints is recorded, there is not much they can do but follow the HR rules for handling.

Carolyn, good workout, are you using the September rotation as a guide?

Valerie, definitely agree on the windmills, and bear crawls. You can add mountain climbers to the list for me. I have to admit, I like a good steak once in a while! :). Chicken can get pretty boring if that is all the meat I eat. Our FedEx guy is pretty good. Unless a signature is needed, he puts the package on the covered porch and rings the doorbell to let me know something is there.

Hi to Judy & Lori,

Take care,

I agree with Deb and think you should at least call in and report the discomfort. Even if it is better, it should still be noted in case of future problems. I had one scoping that went poorly, and the second one was better because of the prep and they also used a pediatric scope.

It’s telling several of us from different regions have similar fed ex problems We have said for years their drivers are careless. did not used to be the case. They have some new drivers that barely slow down as the toss out the packages on the road. Our driveway is gravel ending in a huge concrete pad. when the driver comes down, they spin the wheels on the gravel like kids trying to fishtail uphill. Our regular USPS person is great, but on her days off they use an idiot who can't get anything right. regularly gets our mail and neighbors mixed up. everyone has locking mail boxes, so your mail can be out of reach for a while during summer vacations.

I am not a meat person. white meat chicken is the only thing I like. or white meat turkey. or white fish. except for salmon! I still use it like a condiment rather than the main part of my plate. when I get a barbecued chicken, I struggle with what to do with the slimy darker meat. need to hide it in something or pitch it.

I defrosted the freezer yesterday for laughs. It had been almost a year and it was badly needed. wanted to get it done while weather is still warm enough to help it defrost. still takes half a day.

the windmill move (like diane sue said) feels OK on one side but not the other, and it feels awkward even then. I go thru the motions with minimal weight or skip it. same way with discus throw. I modify the bear crawls. I am leery of the "up down" on one arm at a time because of my on- again off- again shoulder issue. the one premix gets rid of all the questionable moves. I am fine with planks, and kind of like mountain climbers.

Last edited:
I just finished my workout which is late for me. I went to my WW meeting first. I did Rockout Knockout, a timesaver premix, for 38 minutes and 292 calories burned. My average heart rate was 134 and maximum heart rate was 171.

Deb, great job with Live 2018 Glassboro Upper Body and Core. Yes, I’m using Cathe’s September rotation. My only complaint about Fed Ex is that they don’t ring the doorbell to let me know that a package was delivered.

Valerie, it is interesting that we all have Fed Ex issues. I’m another one who doesn’t like bear crawls. Defrosting the freezer is not a favorite activity! We had one from my husband’s grandmother that was 30 years old and had to be defrosted. Thankfully our new freezer doesn’t require that.

Hi to Diane Sue, Judy and Lori.

Did another road ride this morning, 25 miles 2 hrs 20 min. we need to do something else for a couple days, my butt is getting sore from all the riding.

It is not frost free freezer. no trouble with freezer burn but it needs defrosting once or twice a year. we have an old refrigerator in the garage too, so I have a place to put freezer contents while it defrosts. still, not a fun job. it makes you look at contents once in a while to use or toss.

Today's workout was Cathe Live Upper Body Bootcamp, 62 minutes, heart rate average 97, max 144, 912 steps, met 4.0, 274 calories (fit bit said 145 and map my fitness said 369) I chose this workout since I did the live Lower Body Bootcamp on Monday. I followed this with Coffey Fit Raw Upper Body Finisher 14 minutes, heart rate average 104, max 130, 62 calories, met 4.0. Total time was 76 minutes, 336 calories.
Upper body boot camp, 3 same body part exercises + 1 core exercise for each body part. Uses a stability ball, little rest throughout, Cathe does not count out reps very much so these are my reps
Rnd 1 chest
bench press on the ball 15#dbs 40 reps :0
flys on ball 12# dbs 24 reps
push up 8,8, down 2 up 2 4 times
stability ball roll out
Rnd 2 back
pullover 15# dbs 16 reps
one arm row (Cathe 20#) 25# db 16 reps each right and left then a second set of 8 each
seated band pulls
weighted standing circles 8# db
Rnd 3 shoulders
seated overhead press 12# dbs 8 reps then 16 reps alterntating
upright row 15# dbs 8,8,4 reps
seated rear delts 10# dbs 2 sets of 10 reps
butterfly sit up
Rnd 4 biceps
seated biceps curls 15# dbs 16 reps
incline curls (Cathe 12# dbs) 15# dbs 16 reps
preacher curls 12# dbs 10 reps
knee ins on ball 16 reps
Rnd 5 Triceps
see saw push ups12 reps
seated overhead triceps extension 12# dbs 16 reps
close grip bench press 6 reps of down 2 up 2 and singles 15# dbs
seated on flow side to side with stability ball
Extra work for each body part
incline fly 12# dbs 16 reps, incline press 12# dbs 16 reps, side bends for core with 20# db
Y's with band, salute supermans, ball exchange
seated lateral raise 8# and 5# dbs, incline front raise 8# dbs and 5# dbs, body weight side plank reach
one arm side lying push up 16 reps, band triceps extensions, sit up with stability ball
seated W curls 12# dbs 16 reps , banana holds with ball adding scissors

Coffey Fit Raw Upper Body Finisher timed
Front curls 15# dbs , lateral raise 10# dbs, dips off bench Repeat
Hammer Curls 15# dbs, upright rows 15# dbs, kickbacks 10# dbs Repeat
Supination curls alternating 15# dbs, alternating front raise 10# dbs, overhead triceps extension 15# Repeat

Debbie, I didn't realize at first that I had to reset the Map My Fitness app to not log the stuff for me. When it does that Fit Bit adjusts what they got. Usually if I enter a different calorie burn for the same exercise and use the exact time given by Fit Bit, I get the change to where I think that it should be. The burn is only counted once when I put it in MFP myself with Fitbit time. Once in awhile Fit Bit will be higher when it comes to more intense cardio. I just like my numbers more accurate. Good for you doing the challenge.

Deb, I liked the Glassborro upper workout. Nice work. They might hear Gertie barking inside the house. Our house is different as we have a walk way to a wrought iron gate with brick wall on either side and you go through that gate to get to the door step. I set a bench next to the gate so they could set packages there if they like. They have used it a few times. Sometimes if it is a smaller package it is set on top of the wall. UPS brings the packages to the door step most of the time. I will say I did have another Fed Ex woman deliver our dining room table in a huge box and rang the bell to tell me I might want to check it out because there were holes torn in the corners of the box. She was really nice. UPS usually rings the doorbell when they leave packages. So, does USPS. You can't do that if you don't come to the door. There are so many porch pirates out there now. The news is always showing pictures of those that are caught on security cameras.

Valerie, I am not sure what my daughter does now for her package deliveries. I think she said they set them outside the gate to their driveway. They were putting them on the inside and the dogs started tearing them all open after they discovered beef jerky in one of the packages. You have to walk down the hill and drive to get to the mail box. Any meat, poultry, fish, that I eat has to be decent tasting. If it is not, I lose my taste for it for a long time. I buy Sprouts chicken breast tenderloins instead of the breasts because sometimes the breasts have tough spots in them. I don't mind using them for shredded chicken because I leave the tough bits out. For some reason I am not always a fan of turkey. I will buy the really lean ground turkey for a few recipes, but I prefer chicken. I reserve turkey mainly for holidays. I have tried dark meat chicken multiple ways and buying organic etc and I just do not like it. I won't waste my money. The last mahi mahi I purchased was really fishy. I still have one fillet and can't bring myself to eat it. My freezer needs defrosted at least twice a year when it is working right. It started building up and then dripping. The food would still be frozen solid though. It was just working itself too hard. Winter last year I turned it back on and it would last about two months and I would have to defrost. We replaced the door gasket, but it was the one that laid on the ground and it did not fit smoothly. I am going to have to have someone come out and take care of it before I use it again. I think the discus throw is more using the body to turn with the weight. I would never pick up anything very heavy to do that one though. It is nice that there is a premix that leaves those moves out.

Carolyn, we had a freezer that we purchased from someone that got a divorce and it was new , but had the handle broken off. That freezer lasted us over 20 years and never had to be defrosted. We didn't realize the one we purchased a few years ago needed defrosted till we started using it. I don't know why that thought didn't occur to me to check. It is not hard though. I set some plastic totes inside to catch the water and it doesn't take long. I gave up on the drainage tube in the bottom. I would try to put it in a pan to catch water and most would go out on the floor from inside and also the tube would spring out of the pan. Fortunately it is in the garage.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.