Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 8/15

Traildoggie

Cathlete
good morning.
this morning its finally cooler and smoke is gone looking at he smoke plume map but now its dense fog and mist. better but not good for riding. so now tomorrow. I might ride the neighborhood instead. not a lot of mileage but I dont have to worry about visibility in traffic.

Finally did a workout again this morning. My Finished Combos. I don't do well when I don't plan everything out ahead of time and just grab something. As of next Sunday I'll be back home and both boys gone and hopefully by then, I'll have a plan. I do so much better when I have a rotation to follow. And it looks like the new workouts will arrive soon, so nothing new to include. Really looking forward to trying out those bands.

Friday Nick and I went to the zoo, and I ditched him and the co-worker he was hanging out with so I could walk at a decent pace. Derek didn't believe me that they were slower than HE is because he's taking photos, until he saw them and how slow they were moving along. LOL Then we went to my parents for a couple hours and back to pick up Derek.

Saturday morning Nick headed out about 7:00. No issues all day. Just checked and he's crossed into TX and is about 3 hours from Fort Worth.

No workout again tomorrow as I have to run Derek to work, so I can go shop. He's playing lead the last three days and starting at 8:30, so long days. He got all his stuff organized and packed to head for NMU yesterday since he won't have much time from here on out.

Today I did a short 25 minute walk just to move a bit. Other than that I’m taking a rest day.

Valerie, thanks for getting us started this week. I’m glad that your air quality is better today.

Cathy, nice job fitting in a workout. I need a rotation to follow even when I change out some of the workouts as I am doing this month.

Hello to Judy and Diane Sue.

we rode the local trail as the fog burned off a lot faster than predicted but we didnt want to drive to the other area we ride. too late in the morning by then. had a good 15 mile ride, busier than usual but everyone has been locked down with the smoke so pent up energy to get outside. .

I haven't done a planned or predictable workout rotation since STS. I envy those of you who can stick to a regular rotation. I do better when I decide right at the time I get to the workout room. still prefer outdoor things.

Last edited:
Today I did ICE Bootcamp Circuit which was 48 minutes and 271 calories burned. My average heart rate was 121 and maximum heart rate was 152.

Valerie, I’m glad that you could ride yesterday. I imagine that many people are eager to get out after being stuck inside. I have never been an outdoor person, even as a teenager. I was the one who was inside cleaning and learning to cook while my other siblings were the outdoor people.

Hello to Cathy, Judy, and Diane Sue.

Today I did Live #10, Upper Body Sculpting. I followed it with 10 minutes of Peloton core work and a 30 minute Peloton ride. This is another week that I have 4 days off in a row so I will be getting caught up on things at home.

Carolyn-Great job with ICE Bootcamp Circuit. I took a couple of rest days last week. I think I need to get back to my old plan of doing an active rest week every month or so. I haven't done that in a while and I can feel it.

Valerie-It's good that you could ride yesterday.

Cathy-Nice job with your workout. It is nice to have a rotation to follow and Cathe has so many good ones. I'm looking forward to the new workouts.

Hi to Diane Sue

Today I did Stacked Sets Upper Body and the Extended Stretch. My time was 48 minutes with 190 calories burned. Average heart rate was 107 and maximum heart rate was 149. We are experiencing Tropical Depression Fred with tons of rain and tornado watches and warnings. It’s one of those days to remain alert and monitor the changing conditions.

I have used the Sparkpeople site since 2009. Today was the final day and the site has closed. It makes me a little sad. I liked the articles and I logged my exercises and earned points there. With so many other health and fitness sites available now they decided to transition to something else. I have known that the Site was closing for several months, but I didn’t expect to feel sad about it.

Judy, great job with Live Upper Body Sculpting and the Peloton workouts. I find that I have to include active recovery time in my workout routine periodically. I do that by changing to more gentle workouts with stretching and yoga. The Ellen Barrett workouts are great for that purpose.

Hello to Valerie, Cathy, and Diane Sue.

This morning I did all Legs and Core Down on the Floor. Good workout and all you need is a mat. Went out yesterday to feed her royal highness, Princess Shadow our finicky feral and got nailed 5 times around my elbow by what I assume were mosquitos. Didn't see them, but the darn things got welts, and left hard red spots that itch. That is now how I respond to mosquito bites.Usually just a little redness, barely an itch if at all and they disappear quickly. Don't know if they are from a different species or what but I'm not liking it!

Carolyn I didn't even realize Sparkpeople was still around. I remember hearing about it, but never used it myself. My sister is in Brevard NC and they have been getting nasty storms courtesy of Fred. Wiped out a couple of her potted plants and she said some schools in the area have kids in tornado warnings. I only remember one of those from elementary school where we had a real warning and not a drill. I remember I was in 5th grade and our classrooms were at the end of the hall with double glass doors at the end! I'm sure it was a really safe place to be. But the thing I remember most is that is wasn't storming and the sky was a really odd color for daytime. Orangish. Great job on the Bootcamp Circuit and SS Upper Body!

Valerie hope you've been getting rides in the last couple of days.

Judy great job with the Live Upper Body Sculpting and Peloton workouts! Got my shipping notice yesterday for the new workouts and they are supposed to actually go out tomorrow! Yay something new!

Nick made his first run to Whole Foods today. So jealous he's only 10 minutes from one, though not jealous enough to want to live in a big city to get that. LOL So far everything is going smoothly and he put in an order for wifi with AT&T. Hoping that goes smoothly and quickly. Got a video tour of his little place last night. And the place has a parking garage, so he is parked on the fourth floor and isn't far from his apartment. Said the move in was easier than in a dorm!

Today I did Live Med Ball blast and Live 30 Minute HiiT Express. I added on 10 minutes of Peloton core work.

Carolyn-Great job with Stacked Sets Upper Body and the Extended Stretch. I definitely need to add more stretching and yoga back into my routine. I heard about Sparkpeople closing. I never belonged but I used to read articles from that site. I can understand being sad about it closing down.

Cathy-Nice job with Legs & Core Down on the Floor. I haven't gotten the shipping notice yet but I'm sure I'll get it soon. The closest Whole Foods for us is about 40 minutes away. We usually get there once a month or so.

Hi to Valerie & Diane Sue

Today I did CDorner Step and Strength #137 from yesterday, heart rate 134./171, 49 minutes, 249 calories, 3,635 steps. This was basic step moves with a lot of leg emphasis, each strength exercise was done for 1 minute and no repeats. I also did CDorner Full Body Stretch for sore muscles and stiff joints from today, 33 minutes, heart rate 83/110, 137 steps, 58 calories. I liked this as there was not a bunch of down dog and up dog moves. Just warm up moves with loosening chest and shoulder area and deeper stretches for lower body. Total time was 82 minutes, 307 calories, 3,772 steps. I had my grandson here yesterday and today. Sunday was a family birthday for August so no workout. Yesterday was CDorner step.

Workout went like this
w/up
step cardio
strength
reverse lunge row 15# dbs
curl squat press 10# dbs
lunge side to side with curls 10# dbs
foot on step repeated knee up holding 1 12# db
step cardio
push up/knee ins option wall or on forearms. I just stood and alternated knee up
squat off step leg raise outholding12# db
dumbbell row to kickback 10# dbs
forearm plank leg lift up and cross over
step cardio
front raise 8's with off the step dips 1 leg
reverse lunge off step with a curl 8# dbs
side lateral/front raise I used 5's
Chris uses a bit heavier weights on most moves
cooldown stretch

didnt do much of anything yesterday but will do something today. I somehow strained/sprained an ankle. swollen and painful. didn't do anything obvious to it but I need to be gentle for a few days. riding would have been Ok but too wet. not much quantity of rain, but enough to make outdoor things not fun. my wrists and ankles are problem areas for me.
I've heard of sparkpeople but never used it.
same for wholefoods. nothing close by here. not worth at least a 2 hour drive. same with Trader Joe. I used to go there when I lived closer but it was always a traffic problem to get there and its worse now.

all insect bites cause issues for me, especially yellowjackets and black flies. I never used to get welts that last for weeks like I do now. worst for me are flea bites.

tornados are one of the reasons I left wisconsin. not the only reason, but they scared me more than anything. I was babysitting one night for a cousin. they went out for the evening with their neighbors who lived in the downstairs apartment. I was alone in this 2 story flat with 4 little kids from two families and had to find my way to the basement and find flashlights because tornados were touching down in the general area. it was scary because the storms were close but I wasnt sure how close because I didnt live there and didnt know the specific areas where tornados touched down they were talking about. I don't think I've ever been so scared and I didnt want a bunch of scared little kids besides. I checked the basement and knew I could take them down there if I had to but they were sleeping and I didnt want to wake them all up. I was only 15 or 16. I never forgot that night. I was glued to the radio all evening.

ETA I did x train bi's and tri's and ab workout.

Last edited:
This morning I did Jessica Smith’s Stride and Step which was 30 minutes and 222 calories burned. Average heart rate was 131 and maximum heart rate was 157. Jessica uses the mini step with no risers for this workout and it’s not choreographed. I had a virtual WW meeting today.

Cathy, great job with Live Legs and Core on the Floor. Those mosquito bites sound painful. I really hate mosquitoes!

Judy, nice work with Live Med Ball Blast, Live 30 Minute HiiT Express, and Peloton Core.

Dianne Sue, great job with CDorner Step and Strength and Full Body Stretch. I’m sure that the family birthday celebration was fun.

Valerie, nice workout with XTrain Bis and Tris and Abs.

Have a wonderful day everyone.

Hi Everyone,

This morning I did a 45 minutes Peloton Power Zone ride and a 10 minute Cool Down ride. I plan on doing yoga and some stretching later today.

Carolyn-Nice job with Stride and Step. That is a good one. I need to add some of Jessica's DVDs back into my routine. I really like the Walk Strong DVDs she made a few years ago.

Valerie- Great job with XTrain Bis, Tris and Abs. I hope your ankle is better today. Living in an area that regularly has tornadoes is scary. I was used to that feeling from living in Iowa and Illinois for most of my life. While Michigan does have tornadoes, they do not occur as frequently as they do in some other parts of the country.

Diane Sue-Nice job with CDorner Step and Strength and Full Body Stretch.

Hi to Cathy

Good morning we are back from a road ride, 21 miles. a good ride.

judy thank you, yes ankle is better. I must have stepped on it funny. riding seemed best to get exercise and not stress it. storm patterns have changed but it used to bother me so much I couldn't sleep. Im sure warning systems and communication in general is better than '50's and '60's so warnings are more accurate.
watching a series called Clarkson's Farm right now. it is hilarious, cute, touching and was done during 2020 before and during the first parts of the covid business. a british ( jeremy clarkson) guy with no farming experience tries to go into farming, a many different endeavors. very british humor. subtitles are useful but not always needed. accents and "understandability" range all over the map. its called a documentary. its on Prime. I'm enjoying it!

I did Upper Body Ball-tastic this morning. Good solid workout. Heading north in the morning and I'll get back late afternoon on Saturday. Nick is at the Fort Worth zoo today taking pics and videos to taunt his brother with. :rolleyes: I have as much packed as I can for now, and we'll load Derek's stuff in the car tonight. When going somewhere he gets up with just enough time to shower and eat. LOL But, both the boys are really good about leaving when I give them a deadline. On his own, Nick not so much. My husband, ugh! We rarely go anywhere together these days, but it's the same as it's been forever, we'll leave when we're ready to leave. NO, I need a schedule!

Valerie I hope your ankle is better. Ankles can be so hard to heal. I avoid areas in the UP when black flies are out and about. They make me really swell up at the place they nailed me.

Judy great job with the Med Ball, Hiit Express and Peloton workouts!

Diane Sue nice job with those CDorner workouts!

Carolyn the bites aren't painful, they just ITCH! Great job with the Stride and Step workout!

Today I did CDorner Intermediate Step #138 that she did today, I had to wait for them to start it so I did Raw Get Up and Move which is a little over 4 minutes then went back to CDorner and did the step which was (46:42 min) Total time with the raw for the cardio was 51:51 minutes, 335 calories, heart rate 155/180, 5,323 steps. This was easy to follow and fun. The music was not great to me even though I recognized some of it, I would never pick it myself. I followed this with CDorner Mobility Stretch ad Home from February 2021, 30 minutes, heartrate 82/98, 52 calories, 33 steps. This had a lot of movement, but was done a bit slower than some of the mobility workouts which was fine with me. Total time was 81 minutes, 387 calories, 5,375 steps.

Today‘s workout was Stacked Sets Lower Body. That was 40 minutes and 168 calories burned, average heart rate 109, and maximum heart rate 147. I really feel my core muscles after that workout, which is surprising.

Judy, great job with your Peloton Power Zone and Cool Down rides. I like Jessica’s Walk Strong workouts and use them often. Stride and Step is from the Burn Fat and Have Fun dvd.

Valerie, it sounds like you had an nice ride yesterday. I haven’t found anything interesting that I want to watch on television, but I didn’t look at documentaries. I need to expand my search.

Cathy, nice work with Upper Body Ball-tactic. I hope that you have a safe and uneventful drive.

Diane Sue, great job with CDorner Intermediate Step, Raw Get Up and Move, and the Mobility Stretch.

Have a wonderful day everyone.

did another road ride this morning, a little longer than usual. about 28 miles. 2 and a half hours.

Carolyn, a drama is pretty clear but what's humorous, well, not so clear. its very British and follows this new 'gentleman farmer" through his gradual setup of a working farm with many other people along the way. its cute and fun with him fumbling his way through a lot of new things spending money on everything. so it's not a "documentary" like a Ken Burns documentary but thats the category its in. we watch an episode while we eat lunch. subtitles help enormously. some people are more easily understood than others.

cathy ankle is decent and riding didnt bother it. I get nasty welts from black flies that flare, seem to go away, and then come back again. I don't hike when flies are biting.

well we are back to masks required almost everywhere. I am losing patience with all the people who won't do the right thing and get immunized. just when it looked like things would lighten up and resemble normal, we are sucked back down into the whirlpool because of a bunch of selfish egotists who are confusing "freedom" with fighting a relentless virus.

Today I did Coffey Fit Raw Box and Tone which is boxing with lower body non weighted toning moves. I have always like this and it is a quick workout so great to add to something else. 29 minutes, 189 calories, heart rate 154/185, 2,567 steps. Suggested weighted gloves or light dumbbells, but I did not use any weight and still got in a great workout. I then did CDorner Butt and Leg Workout as I guess the intervals are tomorrow. Funny as it says premiere, but it is filmed in the basement before the flooring change. Also she uses two latex loops together rather than the fabric ones, but she makes comment to someone about them using the fabric ones and that being fine. Anyway this was 58 minutes(51 actual)160 calories, heart rate 105/135, 1,521 steps. Since I used the Strength setting and did the pause for rests with it, it says actual work time was 47 minutes. That being said, when I do that and don't just let it run through the whole workout, I sometimes to forget to start and stop for rests. If I do that, I can see graphics of which body parts I worked. I just do it for the aspect of looking at the pictures LOL. Time was 88 minutes, 349 calories, 4,088 steps. I also did the CDorner foam roller for his and upper back, but did not count it.

CDOrner Butt and Thigh uses dumbbells first segment then standing band work for all but one movement then goes to light dumbbells with some on the floor and some standing 8#, finishes with a butt bonus which is a tabata with two moves done twice one side then twice on the other side. Chris uses 20's a lot for the weight portion at the start.
squats 15# dbs 17 reps
1 15# db slow pulse squat 30 reps
squat curtsy alternating sides 15# dbs
curtsy knee up 15# b 16 right and 16 left
reverse lunge 1 leg deadlift 15# dbs
plie stance heel lifts knees out 1 or 2 dubbells I used 12's
deadlift 15# dbs
walking lunge 15# dbs
rest
Band (I used the light fabric band , cant remember what the strength is on it)
side to side step moving forward and back
monster walks forward and back
side taps 4 ount left 4 count right
balance leg lift back
squat hop out in or step out
squat with knees pulsing out 3 ct and stand
floor bandwork bridge work leg up out indown
rest
8# db behind knee singles then up 1 down 3
remove band and do a stationary lunge leaning forward moving up and down from front leg
standing single leg squat on left leg right leg extend and stand
repeat all on the other side
rest
bonus booty is skater and curtsy hops 2 sets then work the other side
stretch

Carolyn, I really like the Jessica Smith have fun workout series. The Step and Stride is a favorite on that one. Nice work on Stacked Sets Upper Body today.

Judy great job on the Peloton rides. I always wanted to do the med ball live workout, but was afraid of swinging it around with shoulder problems.

Cathy, nice work with Balltastic today. I do not like to be rushed so I generally have everything ready to go. My husband can pack up a bag to leave in a very short amount of time. Although I am the one that gathers together extra things like phone chargers, bottled water, and that sort of thing. I will start this weekend getting my things together for our vacation later next week.

Valerie, nice that you are getting your road rides in.

Hi Everyone,

Today I did a 40 minute outdoor run-walk. I planned on doing another workout but we ended up running errands all afternoon and part of the evening.

Diane Sue-Great job with Coffey Fit Raw Box and Tone and CDorner Butt and Leg Workout. I will have to try that Coffey Fit one sometime. I just saw that Kelly has a Roku app now.

Carolyn-Great job with Stacked Sets Lower Body. The Burn Fat & Have Fun DVD is a good one. I need to start doing Jessica's workouts again.

Valerie-Nice ride! I'm glad your ankle is better.

Cathy-Great job with Upper Body Ball-tastic. I've never done that one before but it sounds good.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.