Pentagenarians & Beyond" W/B 7/7

Valerie, yes, I thought Smurfette looked like Deb's dogs too. Or close anyway. I saw Alone advertised last night. I think it was on Amazon? My husband was watching some series he purchased. I didn't get into it. It had something to do with Superman or something. It seemed darker and just didn't attract me. I have been busy though so I suppose that might have had something to do with it.

I also took a rest day. we had guests for dinner yesterday.

diane sue I think we are watching it thru Hulu on the History channel. DH and I both enjoying it. the first season was a little repetitive, they kept repeating the same footage. it was streamlined more in the second season. this is simple enough to watch for 15 min and come back the next day. no plot to lose track of. . it is not Emmy material. as time passes it's fascinating to see how differently people react to the circumstances they find themselves in. some people tap out almost immediately, and some people last for months.... in WAY less than cushy conditions.

I had an aunt and a cousin that had wire haired terriers. they looked like Deb's little guys. they were all nice dogs except for one that was psycho. cousin tried everything to help him but eventually they had to put him down. just too unpredictable and snappy, a mean little thing. had to be sedated to get clipped.

Good morning,

Yesterday I did ICE Metabolic Total Body, 50 minutes, 273 calories. The puppy agility seminar was fun. It was so hot, 90 degrees, but the metal building that it was held in had a overhead doors, and lots of window's that were open. There was a breeze coming in so it wasn't too bad.

Diane Sue, yes! that is a Wire Fox Terrier. It sounds like you have some busy days ahead of you!

Carolyn, I hope you had a nice rest day.

Valerie, what did you injure? Is it your back? That show Alone, sounds like Survivor. I never watched that but heard about it. Yes, consistency is a must with dog training, Dogs need to know what is expected of them, and what to expect in situations around them. The more they know the "routine" the better they are.

Judy, so exiting about the new bike. I don't know much about different akes of bikes. It is an inside bike, spinning type? Is there a special thing about the Peloton that makes it so different and better than the regular bikes?

Hi to Lori,

Take care,

Today I did Slow and Heavy Legs and Shoulders for 71 minutes and 229 calories burned. My average heart rate was 100 and maximum heart rate was 133.

Deb, great job with ICE Metabolic Total Body.

Hello to Diane Sue, Valerie, Judy, and Lori. Have a wonderful day everyone.

Deb, I just did too many workouts in a row that worked upper body. I should have done something different. I was sore , advil level sore. so a day off and today we will go road bike. Ice metabolic is what I should have done. I haven't used it in a while, but it was my favorite metabolic workout.

It might be like Survivor, I never got access to that series but it sounds like a similar theme. so far Alone picks colder, wetter places. west coast of Vancouver Island, and Patagonia. we started season 4 and its back to Vancouver, but this time with competing pairs of people. the things people ended up eating, well, it is hard to imagine.

Judy I would ask the same question. what makes a Peloton bike special? I always thought it was a higher level spin bike probably much better quality than the $300 K mart ones. we never saw the Peloton brand around here, so bought a Lemond bike that we've been very happy with. we were new to spinning and wanted one we could test ride before we bought. this is a few years ago and there were not many choices.

Last edited:
I felt frustrated today. The days have changed for watching grandchildren, then I thought I would hurry so I could run to the store and remembered I needed to be here to sign for the title to the motorcycle. Here it is almost 6 and it has not showed up. I guess I stayed in for nothing. I went ahead and cleaned since the two grandchildren that were supposed to be here today are coming tomorrow. I am going to go look in the mail box again. Mail already came, just not what I was supposed to sign for. It still says that package is out for delivery on informed delivery. I have had this happen before and they put an attempted delivery notice in my mail box. I hope they did not do that again, as I will have to take children to the post office.

Deb, I figured you would know what Smurfette was. It has been so long and she was still a pup. As you can see, my son in the picture is now 46 years old. So, some time has passed. 90 degrees is hot. Nice that you had a breeze that came in. I just do not handle the heat very well. Maybe it is because here it is pretty humid. It hits 83 in the house and I want to go sit in front of a fan as I do not feel motivated to do anything.

Valerie, I got the impression that Alone was not so much of a game playing competition type show as survivor is. I got tired of survivor and the plotting and stuff against the other groups. Since I have not watched it I don't know though. I have had that problem with going through Kelly's Raw workouts challenge. Most of her workouts have weight work or other strength type work involved. There is very few just cardio, and Only a small amount of just upper or just lower. I have had to scale back the weights I lift and sub sometimes to do it. I also have looked ahead and doubled up two so I could add just a cardio day. It was causing me too much neck and shoulder pain. Even my arms have woke me up hurting. I feel pretty good today after today being a cardio day and yesterday just stretching.

Carolyn, was Slow and Heavy on your rotation? I have not done that one in years.

Like the name of the show, people are Alone. no contact with anyone except brief meets with medical team if there are issues, or if they are losing too much weight. the loneliness is what does most people in. so there is competition.... whoever is left still out there after all others have tapped out is the winner, but you do not know how many others are left. there might be 8 people or only 1 other. this season is a little different with people working in pairs, but they are separated to begin with and need to find each other. conditions are similar to low level forests here, very brushy and wet.

Good morning,

Yesterday I did an I-Train treadmill workout, 30 minutes, 193 calories. Also, 10, 279 steps.

Carolyn, nice job on the Slow & Heavy workout. Those are really tough!

Valerie, makes sense that you would be sore from multiple upper body workouts in a row. I really like the ICE Metabolic too, had not done it in a while.

Diane Sue, I hear you! So frustrating when you change your plans all around to accommodate something, and it doesn't happen. Yes, it was hot, and humid at the seminar. Just walking around the building to the port-a-potty made me soak in sweat, never mind what it was like inside...TMI!! It's sad about Smurfette. How did you come up with that name? LOL...You're doing great with Kelly's Raw workouts.

Hi to Lori & Judy

Take care,

Hi Everyone,

Yesterday I did a 1 hour Spinerval. I traded shifts with someone so I worked 3-7. Now I'm off until Saturday so I can get caught up on some things and get some good workouts in. The Peloton bike is going to be delivered next Wednesday.

Deb & Valerie-We decided on the Peloton bike after trying it out. I tried it once in February and then Chris and I both tried it on the 4th of July, when we decided to go ahead and order one. We are fortunate to have a Peloton shop in the area so we could try it. I've been using the app on and off for the past few months and I like many of the classes and training programs they offer. Chris has never used my current spin bike but he will use the Peloton bike. We ordered shoes for both of us and purchased the 2 year service plan. The bike will be set up next to my current spin bike, in the living room. I can still do Spinervals and other rides with it.

https://www.onepeloton.com/

Carolyn-Great job with Slow & Heavy Legs! The July rotation looks like a good one.

Diane Sue-It's frustrating to have to stay home for something that doesn't arrive as planned.

Hi to Lori,

Judy

Today I did part of Party Rockin Step 2. I did combos 1-4 for 40 minutes and 248 calories burned. Average heart rate was 134 and maximum heart rate was 150.

Judy, I’m sure that you enjoyed the 1 hour Spinervals. Being able to try out the Peleton bike in the store is a great benefit.

Deb, nice job with the treadmill workout. The Slow and Heavy workouts are tough. It’s harder to go slowly with the weights. I wouldn’t do them for more than 1 week at a time.

Diane Sue, I hope that you have a more productive day today. It’s very frustrating to arrange your schedule and wait for something that never arrives.

Hello to Valerie and Lori.

Deb, those days of sweating and humidity usually leave me feeling totally drained when they are over. My children named Smurfette. I guess because of the Smurfs. We had a miniature schnauzer named Waldo as in where's Waldo. Most of our animals have had funny names. Mudd and Puddle named because Puddle was a Harlequin great Dane and Mudd was brown spots. We had a setter mix when my son was 2 named Turkey. I don't know where that came from. I think my husband named her. We had a Dane named Jasmine because of the Disney movie. She is the one we had to put down. She became lame and could not get up. We spent a lot trying to find out what was wrong and at 6 months, the vet finally told us that she would not live to be a year old. It was rough. Harvey was out bunny and we had a bird named dummy who would say his name. My daughter and her family have labs named Hershey and Graham. We keep telling them they need one to name marshmallow. LOL We had dummy bird for a lot of years, but when we moved from Ca we gave him to my sister in law rather than travel with Dummy and Turkey. It ends up my middle daughter was/is along with latex allergic to feathers so, no more birds after that. They call balloons death bombs.

Carolyn, the Slow and Heavy workouts are good ones. I always felt I worked really hard, but did not burn many calories with them and they were pretty long workouts for adding much too.

Valerie, it seems it would be better to have the people in pairs than alone. Although the show is called alone. I bet they got faster drop outs with people that were all by themselves. It seems there have been a couple of other similar shows in the past. Each a bit different. I find the ones like survivor get annoying because there is all of this deceit and complaining and whining stuff. Then there is the couples relationships. I quit watching it a long time ago because of that.

Judy, does the Peloton have wifi built into the screen, or do you just watch the workouts on a device? I have seen the advertisements on television and the internet for them. We purchased the add on warranty for the Tread Mill, but of course it waited till not long after the warranty to have problems. I am glad though that the money we spent to repair it has paid off for near another two years.

I am really annoyed as today the informed delivery now says they do not know when my package will come. This is the title to the motorcycle. I don't know what we are supposed to do if the post office loses it. It never came and still hasn't today. Grandchildren will be here soon.

We mt biked this morning 9 miles about 2 hrs 10 min. we covered a lot of area and inspected a new trail. generally people ride up the roads and down the trails, especially since trails are closed in winter to prevent damage. we ride up a couple sections of trail when we need to. easier to ride uphill if there aren't obstacles. really tired now!
diane sue, the way the pair competition is set up, one person is dropped on a salt water beach area to set up camp, and the second person is dropped about 10 miles away with only a compass bearing. then the person with compass hikes to find the person on the beach. I assume the pair will stay at the beach camp until they are done. there would be company but also would need twice as much food. so far only one pair has united, and several have dropped out. the terrain is hard to walk, wet, brushy, slippery and uneven with water obstacles. started with 7 pairs, and down to 4 pairs after a week. pairs are brothers, husband and wife, father and son. so far, no negative actions by anyone. I never watched the survivor series, but I can imagine a lot of back stabbing goes on. Hope your package shows up. no tracking number? pet names were cute. we ended up calling our kitties Puss #1,2,3. one guy we called Dude a lot. I ended up calling them all "sweetie" or "bud" much of the time. everyone came when called, regardless of name used. I think its more tone of voice than anything.

I

Last edited:
So I finally got hold of the post office and they apologized and said they had my package and they could bring it tomorrow. I told them to hold it and I would pick it up. Grandchildren did not come so I picked it up and ran to the store. Look what was across the street from my house when I went in the garage.

Attachments

• 20190709_143539.jpg
    20190709_143539.jpg
    171.1 KB · Views: 9
  • 20190709_143531.jpg
    20190709_143531.jpg
    211.9 KB · Views: 7
Valerie, I call Gertie, sweetheart sometimes. Particularly when I think I kind of hurt her feelings or she doesn't understand something. But most of the time she is just Gertie. I did have a tracking number and the informed delivery. It said yesterday that it was at our post office and out for delivery. I was pretty annoyed when I called this afternoon and they said they had it and apologized offering to deliver it tomorrow. I just think they are incompetent. The package was our Title and the manual for the motorcycle. It was mailed for signed delivery to make sure we got it.

Good morning,

Yesterday I did ICE Chiseled Upper Body, 42 minutes, 177 calories. Also, did 10, 268 steps.

Judy, that bike looks really nice! I know you both will enjoy it. That's great that you have all these days off.

Carolyn, nice job on Party Rock'n Step

Diane Sue, those are some funny names! LOL. Glad you got your package! Wow! A herd of deer!

Valerie, nice ride!

All except Valerie can ignore the following, its about Better Call Saul..LOL...if you don;t watch it, it will bore and confuse you:

Valerie, I started Episode 1 of Season 3 of BCS, and was totally confused at to what was happening. It had the usual Cinnabon clip, which I understand now, but jumped into a piece that did not make sense, or connect to the last episode of season 2. I guess I will plow along, but not sure if this has any explanation, as it just was something to move the plot along. Chuck taped something that Jimmy said, admitting to a felony, but they did not air what was said, or what the felony was. Of course, Jimmy found out, and stormed into Chuck's house where he had witnesses there knowing Jimmy would do that, and had him arrested. Chuck also had a big bandage on his head which was never explained..??

Hi to Lori,

Take care,

Deb, I think the cinnabon episode is way in the future, we have not seen it in its proper time period yet, and we finished season 4. I think everything between chuck and jimmy gets more or less sorted out and explained pretty soon. I don't want accidentally throw in spoilers. both chuck and jimmy are very flawed people. there is great animosity between chuck and jimmy, with chuck undermining& denigrating jimmy at every turn, and jimmy in turn does some incredibly devoted things to help chuck, but also dumb, bad judgement things , and loves pulling "cons", working the legal edges. the devotion jimmy shows to chuck isn't appreciated. chuck is crazy, although a brilliant legal mind, and his situation deteriorates.
there are so many layers and subtleties to each plotline!
I want to watch beginning to end when all seasons are available. there are plenty of vague areas I don't remember well but I think everything gets explained in due course. Keep plugging! Usually my DH is WAY better than I am at sorting plotlines, but things I thought were very clear he missed, and vice versa. so if both you and John are watching together, it helps to pause and remind each other what's going on if you get confused. Jimmy just said at the end of the last episode, "it's all good, man" and DH totally missed it... I said that's where his new name "Saul Goodman" comes from.

Remind me if you have seen "Breaking Bad". many of the characters from BB show up in BCS so if you haven't seen BB some things will be confusing. .

getting some rain today, great news. all is very dry here. shopping day and maybe a weight workout later.

Nice deer herd!. I was thinking of deer yesterday. I bought a box of raspberries and blueberries. the deer ate my raspberry bushes and blueberry bushes, and totaled the strawberries too. this was before we fenced the garden. cant grow berries if there are deer around.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.