Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 7/5

we hiked today, 6 hours. got up to 9000 feet so I am whipped! not sure how many miles probably 6-8 round trip. a nice trip.
diane sue thanks for the tempeh info. I could make it myself but I sure would rather buy it. that sounds like a bit of a fussy process. possible but I don't use it that often. I will try another few stores first. good to know I could make it if I wanted to though.

oh that sounds like killer humidity. I hated the weather in the Midwest. hated it! I don't like it humid so I moved and never regretted it.

200 heart rate? I don't think so!. I'm pushing very hard even to get to 150, it never gets that high.

I'm with you on the repellant business. it doesn't work that well on me regardless as I am very attractive to mosquitos and flies . we carry some but if I need repellant its time to head inside because I cant enjoy anything outdoors then. Deet, picaridin, permethrin, tried them all, help a little but I still get bitten badly so when bugs are biting I need to stay home. I usually wear pants and long sleeves in addition to spray and still get chewed up.

My appointment went well. The doctor said things had not changed so he will have me repeat in 9 months and if nothing changes then 9 months after that, then I won't need to come back as long as nothing changes. Sad though as I picked him by recommendation from my daughters friend that is a doctor and because he is older and has lots of background and teaching that he has done. He is retiring and setting me up with someone else.

Valerie, nice hike today. 6 hours of hiking would be a lot of work. You can make a big batch of tempeh and freeze it. I thought it was nice to see that you didn't have to hull the soybeans. That was the tedious part. I always wondered if I was getting enough off. Also you could expedite with canned beans. She does say you can use other beans, which I have read before. I just always used soybeans.

Cathy, it depends on the store around me how many follow the face mask protocol. I prefer going to Sprouts because they are not terribly crowded and follow safety precautions. I tried to go to customer service at Walmart Market yesterday to return a bottle of nail polish that I thought was the black bottle of top coat gel polish clear, and somehow I bought black nail polish. They had no one there and I mentioned it to a checker and she just said yeah, they are closed and ignored what I said I wanted to do. So, I will wait till I have to go there again for paper goods and that sort of thing. I am not going out of my way to go there for just that.
It has been so hot here, I have no desire to spend that much time outside.
I have had my heart rate monitors do that occasionally. My Fitbit does that sometimes when it loses the heart rate for a second and it jumps all over till it gets back to where it should be. If you look at the graph it is usually a blip up and back down. I know I would be huffing and puffing it it was really that high. I used to do that if I hit 170. I had a doctor tell me to stop and take my pulse as that couldn't be right.

Hi all!

Argh...I fell off the wagon for at least a week. I think I made the mistake of doing too much too soon, and I just ended up sore and tired :( So this week I am giving myself permission to go *much easier* on myself. It's challenging because I think as I get older, I can still go hard in the moment during a workout, but then it catches up with me for the next three days and I am really exhausted. So I have to go easier than I think I have to in the moment - if that makes sense. Anyway, I did Crossfire Express yesterday but gave myself total permission to take the tabatas easy. I did some of them...but for others, I just modified to a low impact move.

Wishing everyone the best --

Christina

We are both tired today. we've been doing something almost every day. it builds up. we are both a little achy and sore. today we will do yard and house projects nothing too physical. Christina there's almost a science to knowing when you do too much. its not that obvious. I try to get a tiny bit sore so now I worked out, but nothing that takes several days to recover from.

I have trouble in heat. yesterday was quite warm for me. temp in car said 75 but in the sun it was warmer and more intense due to altitude. we were coming downhill mid afternoon, sunny and warm. a group of young people coming up. I was so hot going down I could not imagine going uphill. when we got to the car I drank a load of water and felt better in a few minutes. we make a point of going early when its cool. I have always had trouble with heat no matter how hydrated I am. I almost don't sweat certainly not enough to cool off.

I haven't paid a lot of attention since were not there, but WA has gone to requiring face masks for all public things. I'm not sure what happens with people who wont comply. we are doing way better with #'s than TX, FL or AZ .
Lori good to hear you have a place to live and of course Gigi needs her "space" at the top of the list!

My HRM used to jump all over the place especially when I first put it on. many times it would double what my rate was, and then drop down quickly in the first few minutes.

Today I did X Train Chest, Back, and Shoulders. My time was 55 minutes with 292 calories burned. Average heart rate was 118 and maximum heart rate was 164. My Fitbit will sometimes give me a low heart rate when I’m know that it is really higher. After a few seconds it will catch up to what it should be.

Valerie, a six hour hike going up 6000 feet is quite an outing. I can see why you are tired today.

Cathy, nice job with All Out Low Impact HiiT floor and step premix. I often choose that premix. That’s wonderful news that your sister doesn’t have Covid.

Diane Sue, I had that happen with the gynecologist that selected four years ago. I spent a long time researching and making a decision only to have her retire last year.

Christina, it’s easy to do too much too soon with workouts. Listen to your body and build up slowly to your previous fitness level.

Hello to Deb, Lori, and Judy.

No workout today. I am tired and after my grandson was picked up I just was not longer feeling up for it. He got here around 8 this morning and I got up early to shower and be ready to play with him. I will do one tomorrow. I went to bed at 1:45 this morning after researching different GLA sources and going back and forth between Arthritis Foundation and reading heart stuff. I ended up ordering Borage GLA without the PA which is an alkaloid and the higher percentage that AF recommends for RA. I chose it over Evening of Primrose because it seemed to be more for my needs and also Arthritis Foundation mentioned it helps with sjogrens. I would love to get rid of the dry mouth, lips and eyes if it would help.
I have cleaning to get done today as my husband starts his days off tomorrow. We paid for a whole beef and I have the freezer repair people coming tomorrow. They gave us our money back for the cow because the butcher meat packers are overloaded for the next 6 months. Sheeesh. This stuff is just making me crazy.
We were buying it from one of the ladies at my husbands work. I guess they are stuck with their cows for now.

Christina, it is always best to slow down when it is needed and build up gradually. Glad you are back at it. Nice work on Crossfire express premix. I lightened up this week and when I did the Fit Tower legs and glutes and the stability ball portion of To the Mat, I ended up feeling sore yesterday and still sore legs today. So odd that it hits me later. They noticed that at physical therapy last year too. So they tried not to push me too hard so I didn't end up in too much pain when I came back for more a couple of days later.

Valerie, not sweating much would be a problem with getting cooled down. I don't sweat like my husband does though. He seems to get overheated more easily than me though. I tolerate heat more, but then I drink so much water all of the time. I don't bother to monitor it much because I have water with me constantly and am drinking it. Also use hydrating tablets in the mornings with workouts and a big container of water. That climb you did was probably enough for a break. Wasn't your state one of the first though? I would think by now the numbers would be dropping. They are doing so much more testing now so I am sure they are picking up on more. Hoping we get through this soon.

Carolyn, that is the same with my Fitbit. Either that or if I am down on the floor doing push ups or burpees after being upright it drops out and has to figure out what I am doing or something. I had another doctor retire after a couple of years when we first moved to Oklahoma and my favorite doctor in my primary care office up and decided to more out to the country. Anyway I like the one I have now a lot and she has helped me through a lot of stuff. I got her through my daughter's friend when I had all of that lymph node issue. I worry I may lose her eventually though. She has rheumatoid arthritis too and that is how she recognized my problem even though tests were not showing it. She is only in the office 3 days a week right now and has her children and several foster children she cares for. I hope she is there when I make my next regular check up visit in a couple of months. With schools out and stuff I have no idea what she does.

Caroline we started up at 6000 feet, went up to about 9000. I want to take full credit for a tough day!

did a short shopping trip today to Livingston. I looked and found tempeh! bought 2 packages of it. of all the off the wall places to find it, I didn't expect to see it. they stock tofu and jack fruit in produce department and there it was. Albertsons.

I drink a lot but I just pee more. it does not get processed into sweat. I use a neck wrap with those granules that absorb water as a cooling device but I forgot to bring it this time.

the practice of medicine has changed a lot. a lot more bureaucracy/ box checking, computer work than there used to be. working conditions are stressful and difficult. corporate medicine ... you are not your own boss. people seldom own their own practice anymore. but it's easier to move from place to place if you are unhappy or want a change of scenery. people retire younger and change locations and jobs more. Many more women with children and foreign medical school graduates. good and bad sides to the changes. DH loved medicine but he was so ready to retire!

Last edited:
Today I did Cardio Quick Fix, both workouts, for 44 minutes and 322 calories burned. My average heart rate was 129 and maximum heart rate was 150. I made a quick trip to Sprouts this morning to get some vitamins and other supplements. I also wanted the hand soap that I buy there, but they are still out of it. Hand soap is another item that seems to be in short supply. Fortunately I do have some of a different brand, but I like the feel and smell of the Everyone soap.

Hello to all and have a great day.

Hi Everyone,
I need to get caught up on posting my workouts. Monday I did KCM Abs & Core, Kelly's Favorite Premix. Tuesday I did Build & Burn Lower Body Tabata and a 20 minute Peloton Ride. Wednesday I did KCM Abs & Core again and XTrain Burn Sets, Biceps & Triceps. Yesterday I did a 45 minute Peloton ride. This morning I went for a 45 minute walk.
I got my second Shingrix shot this afternoon. I'm scheduled to work tomorrow but I will probably call in if I am feeling as bad as I did after the first shot. I'm very close to going on leave as the cases continue to increase at an alarming rate in this area. I have a feeling things will be closing again, and/or there will be another stay at home order coming.

Deb-How are the dogs? I hope everything is ok.

Cathy-That is good news that your sister's test was negative. Nice workouts this week!

Valerie-You got a lot of great training in this week! We didn't get out on the bikes as planned but we are getting closer. I'm sure we'll get out this weekend, probably Sunday.

Diane Sue-I'm glad your doctor appt. went well.

Carolyn-Nice job with Cardio Quick Fix! I don't think I've done that one yet. When I went to the minute clinic to get my shingrix shot today I noticed that the entire cleaning aisle of CVS was empty. It's still hard to find cleaning supplies here. They did have plenty of paper products though.

Lori-the townhouse sounds really nice!

Christina-I've had to modify a lot of the higher impact workouts as I've gotten older. I really pay for it later if I go too hard. I hated doing that at first but now I feel like it's helping be able to workout longer and be able to not get burned out or injured.

Yesterday was the Toledo Zoo, and OMG was it hot. Real feel was at 101 at one point. Thankfully, I'd filled my stainless steel bottles with ice water/ice cubes. Was happy to see there were very few people there. Masks were only required in buildings, but we wore hours except for the short time we were eating. I did get my 10,000 steps in while there.

Today, I shopped and then this afternoon I took Nick to Battle Creek for his drug test, as the zoo where Derek works got desperate enough that they are willing to hire him for a month. They've only been able to open one of the two restaurants and not have their food carts out. Normally they would have been at full staff back in April. Had varying levels of rain on the way back, and the last couple miles it was so heavy I could barely see the road and was down to 30. At least it was a country road and not while we were on the highway.

The Governor here has now strengthened the indoor mask rule. As of Monday, not only are they required, but businesses must refuse service to those not wearing them and can be closed if they don't.

Valerie that 6 hour hike sounds fabulous. Mosquitos don't actually mess with me much, I just hate their little menacing buzz and they still swarm me at times. My oldest is a mosquito magnet poor kid.

Diane Sue glad your appointment went well. Always sad when a doctor you like retires. The DO the boys and I go to is in his mid-70's, and I'm holding my breath he practices awhile longer.

Christina I bow down to you for doing CrossFire. I haven't done the whole thing in years. I do use the premixes quite a bit. Important to listen to your body, though it can be hard when you really want to workout to take it easy.

Carolyn good job with XTrain Chest, Back and Shoulders it's a good workout.

Judy looks like you've been getting a lot of great workouts in.

Today I did Coffey Fit Raw weights 2, 48 minutes for writing and the workout, 94 calories, heart rate 93/138, 683 steps. I also did Lindsey Samper yoga neck pain relief #1 and one of the add on stretches, 39 minutes, 40 calories. The freezer repair guy from Sears came out and I ended up paying him 109 dollars to look at it, but did not get it fixed. It would have cost to much and not guaranteed to work as all he was going to do is steam the crinkled spot in the gasket and try to bend or unbow the door. It extends out at the bottom for some reason. No way was I going to pay 385 dollars for him to do that. We will probably just trash the freezer. It works, but too much to keep defrosting.

Coffey Fit Raw Weights 2 2020
42:18 minutes supersets uses a bench or step
8,10,12 lb dumbbells 45 seconds for each exercise most 2 sets
Warm up

Legs

Squats 12# dbs 11 reps; 12 reps

Plie squats 12# dbs 12 reps pulses; 11 reps holding each

Deadlift hips back/squat/up 12# dbs 12 reps; 12 reps

Upper Body/ Abs

Bench press 12# dbs 12 reps; 12 reps

Explosive reverse flys seated 12# dbs 16 reps; 14 reps

Pullover stopping over chest 12 # dbs 12 reps; stopping past chest 12 reps

Seated supination curls Kelly lowers to 10’s I used 12’s 12 reps; 12 reps

Palms our curls (W curls) 10’s me 12’s 11 reps; 12 reps

Sit up push weights overhead on bench 10# dbs 11 reps; 12 reps I just held the weights and did the sit ups no overhead

Leaning back seated on bench hammer curls 1 set 10 # dumbbells

Russian twist holding 10# dbs seated on bench with knees up 1 set

Legs

Front lunges alternating 12# dbs 14 reps; 15 reps

Reverse lunges alternating 12# dbs 14 reps; 12 reps

Side lunges alternating 1 12# db 16 reps; 16 reps

Upper

Tate press 8# dbs 14 reps; 16 reps

Bentover lateral raises 8# dbs 13 reps; 14 reps

Bentover seated lateral raises 8# dbs 14 reps; 16 reps

Seated overhead press to triceps extension 8# dbs 13 reps; 14 reps

Abs on mat side to side crunch ; right/center/left center ; crunch/knees in/reverse crunch and hold 4 count; leg raise/knee in/legs out

Last edited:
Carolyn, I have noticed that a lot of the stores do not have a good selection of hand soap. I found some Method at Walmart the other day. They just had a few so I picked up a bottle. I didn't see my favorites though. I am not low though as the last I bought for the kitchen was Jason in rose. I prefer ones that don't leave my hands feeling dry like they have been in dishwater or something. I bought Grab Green dish soap the last time from Amazon and I am not happy with it. I have 3 bottles so I have a lot to use.

Valerie, I just feel like the medical field is a lot more impersonal and caring than it used to be. My daughter has been in the same clinic for near 20 years now. So many of the clinics, including my primary have been taken over the big medical center groups that have outpatient surgery centers staggered all over. Plus everything is run through computer systems. I don't like it myself, but we have no choice.

Judy, I hope you don't get to feeling so bad from the shingrix vaccine. Walmart Market was pretty low on cleaners when I was there the other day. Anything like clorox wipes are completely gone. I keep looking for specific items and there are none. I need to purchase Kelly's abs and core dvd. I thought you had Kelly's Cardio Quick Fix. For some reason I thought it was you I saw doing it a lot. I must be thinking of someone else. Whoever it was is the reason I finally purchased it. I really like that workout.

Cathy, our heat has been like that here lately with the heat index over 100. Today it cooled down because it poured rain this morning. It was so hard I could hardly see when I looked out the window. I kept wondering if the freezer repair guy would make it. I let up and stopped this afternoon. I am sure we are going to have some very hot muggy days here soon. We went out to measure the fence to replace this evening it was really warm and sticky out. I often pull out my rebounder for some of those high impact moves in workouts. It is easier on the joints than jumping on the floor. They do not have masks everywhere here. Restaurants and grocery stores workers wear them.

Diane Sue-I looked and I do have Cardio Quick Fix. I checked my logs and I was doing it a lot in 2016. I'll have to revisit it this week.

Reactions: WD
I did Body Weight and Bands yesterday after taking a day mostly off. today we did a mt bike for 2 hours. we went to a busier area near a reservoir uphill from Bozeman and did a circuit of the reservoir. we did it last year and it was really nice again today. not too hard or complicated but a good workout with ups and downs on a gravel trail, loads of flowers and beautiful mountains beyond. we had the trail to ourselves except for a part under construction near the end. then went to bozeman, picked up a chair we'd ordered, and then stopped at costco to get a new vacuum. our old one... that wasn't old...suddenly died. some wiring in the handle broke. can see what's wrong And dh will try to fix with more tools bit doubtful . Did all that and were home by 2:30 to unload everything and get ready. leave in the morning. we don't really want to leave but garden in WA needs attention.

Diane sue thanks for the tempeh recipe. I missed seeing it before. I will print and try it once I return to WA.

Judy, I did not feel good at all after either shot but especially bad after the second one. I spent most of the next day in bed. reactions are variable ... some people don't have a problem, but I sure did. cleaning supplies are sparse around here tho paper products are available. I have the same concerns. things are getting worse so many places, not better, regardless of what the idiot says. we are concerned there will be more lockdowns. I am NOT going any places people gather ......especially not restaurants. necessary shopping only.

I don't do high impact at all. I can work hard enough without jumping. my joints are holding up well, why press my luck.

Deb check in and let us know how your pups are doing.

Good morning ladies!

sorry I still have not gone thru the posts to see how everyone is doing. Hoping soon as I have some down time I can catch up.

Last minute we decided to move to Lake Mary instead of Altamonte Springs. A friend recommended and we loved it even more than the other place. We did a virtual tour and submitted application and paid deposit. We are really happy about this place. I have been able to secure employment, but will hold off on mentioning company until we are closer to the date I start. With covid you never know what can happen so don’t want to jinx anything.

workouts have been great but my diet has not. I woke up this morning and sad ”today the madness stops”! Usually when I commit, I am all in. Fingers crossed this sticks with all that I have on my plate.

hope everyone is well and healthiy!

I didn’t work out this morning. I wanted to do a quick strength workout, but my arm really needs rest. It was hard to resist PHA. I had my investment club virtual meeting today. We had a visitor from the Georgia chapter of Better Investing attend to give our club a certificate. We were recognized for 20 years of membership.

All of this discussion about reopening of schools makes me thankful that I am retired. I just can’t see how this will work and there is no good option for the children.

Judy, nice job with KCM Abs and Core, Peloton ride and walking. I hope that you are feeling well after the shingrix vaccine. Cardio Quick Fix is a good cardio workout similar in intensity to Jessica Smith.

Cathy, I’m glad that you had a good trip to the Toledo Zoo.

Diane Sue, good job with Raw Weights 2 and Lindsey Samper yoga. That’s too bad about the freezer repair. You can buy a new freezer for $385.00. They aren’t very expensive. I guess I should say that they weren’t very expensive before the pandemic hit. The price has probably gone up now.

Lori, what part of Florida are you moving to? That’s great that you found an even better place to live. It sounds like things are really falling into place for you.

Valerie, your last ride for this vacation sounds like it was very pleasant.

Deb, I hope that things are going well for you.

Hello to Christina.

Our air unit went out for upstairs (we have two) and I worked out with it 86 degrees this morning in my workout room. Add tired to that as Gertie woke us up barking because Amazon delivered a package at the door early and I had went to bed at 1:40. Anyway, I did Raw Cardio Crush #2 filmed outdoors workout, 32 minutes, 146 calories, 116 average, 158 max heart rate, 2,879 steps. I then did Step Boss I Max 4 timesaver no blasts, 29 minutes (actual 27 as I had to run downstairs and let Gertie out and wait because it is too hot to leave her out) 126 calories, heart rate 111/131 2,552 steps. I guess Fitbit was just not doing well or my heart rate was just staying lower. Total time 61 minutes, 5,431 steps, 272 calories. I was going to do the Step Boss Chair stretch, but by the time I was done I just wanted to shower and go downstairs where it is cooler. Maybe later. I made a Sprouts run and now am enjoying a fan and cooler downstairs temp. My neck hurt so excruciatingly bad last night. Much better this morning though. Thankfully. I am hoping taking GLA supplement Borage oil will help some.
Can't believe how hot I was upstairs and now I am sitting downstairs with the fan and air at 77 and I have goosebumps!!
When I went to Sprouts today they had cleaners. They had disinfectant wipes, spray cleaners and disinfectant, antibacterial wipes and sanitizer. I mainly went there for quart size freezer bags hoping without labeling stuff on them, but they have the white label on it. I was going to put the nine masks my husband purchased for his guys at work in black to go with uniform code, into baggies for each since Amazon sent them all in two larger bags instead of singularly like the white my husband got for himself. At least the baggies won't say Hefty on them like what I already had. Maybe I should lightly spray them with lysol or something first. Or my Melaleuca disinfectant spray. Wonder if that is okay.

Judy, good to know my memory hasn't went yet :)

Valerie, I am glad your enjoyed your ride today. My husband ordered me a new vacuum for upstairs that breaks down to small so it is lighter and easier for the stairs. I am tired of hauling the Kerby and attachments up and down the stairs. I tend to put off touch up cleaning upstairs so I vacuum up there once a week only and I know Gertie leaves dog hair floating around up there and her and I spend several hours a day up there while my husband is sleeping. We had a second vacuum we had bought for our last house to use upstairs and it died within a year. It was a Hoover that we had picked up at Sears. After that I bought a battery operated one that worked fine for the wood floors upstairs and a lot of the house, but not so much for carpet as the roller quit rolling and it seems a lot of those type of vacuums seem to have reviewers saying that happens. They sure do not make things to last. This freezer we have is about 6 years old and we have only used it about half that. The last one we had lasted 30 years. That tempeh recipe is one of my favorites. I made it a lot.

Lori, glad you found something that you are going to really like. Good luck with your new dietary goals. That is great that you have found a job. Hope it all works out perfectly.

Carolyn, that is wonderful that your investment club gave a certificate for 20 years. That is impressive. They had Everyone soap, hand sanitizer, and wipes at Sprouts today. I picked up a bottle of the Apricot Vanilla scent soap. I hope that your arm is okay. I thought the same thing about the freezer. The one we have is an upright and I told my husband when we purchased it I think it was around 600 dollars from sears. We thought it was frost free when we purchased it and found out that it was not after we had it plugged in in our garage. So, anyway, we may purchase another, but since the the air has gone out that may be put on a back burner for awhile. |
It is a rough decision on the schools opening. The parents need to be able to work and not all are good at helping their children learn. Let alone what happens in some homes when kids and depressed parents are sitting there without much hope. Then you have a lot of older teachers. It is worrisome for parents one way or the other.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.