Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 7/5

Traildoggie

Cathlete
Good morning. I'll get us started.

a pleasant 4th here. there were some distant modest fire works last night, not the total war zone we are accustomed to in WA. Sorry I have always disliked this holiday even as a kid. I get thru the best I can.

weather is lovely here. some thunderstorms yesterday but scattered widely and didn't amount to much near us. we are relaxing and taking the day off. the nice thing about your own place is you are not compelled to do a frantic rush of activity every day like I always felt compelled to do on vacation. we will probably stay another week. weather looks good. we got enough of park crowds yesterday. things are back to "normal" seeming, with very few masks or distancing. you would not think there was a problem when you see how most people are behaving. we keep distance, mask up in any close situations and do not want to test whether or not we would get sick.

Last edited:
Good Afternoon. This is my scheduled rest day, so no workout. We had a very quiet Fourth of July celebration. There were a lot of fireworks around here last night, but it wasn’t too bad and didn’t keep me awake. We just finished our weekly family Zoom visit. One of my daughter’s long time childhood friends joined us and that was nice.

Valerie, thanks for starting the thread this week. I’m glad that you had a nice day yesterday. I remember that you don’t care for the fireworks.

Waving a big hello to everyone and I hope that you are having a nice holiday weekend.

Good morning,

No workouts to report. Had a rough day yesterday with 2 sick dogs. I was texting back and forth with a vet tech from my vet's office on what to do. They seem better today, but I need to keep an eye on IKE for any symptoms of what he has been dealing with for a while now. There were more fireworks here than we have had since we moved in 36 years ago.

Diane Sue, I hope your neck is better today. You did such a good job with Gertie! Some would have given up, that is probably why you found her abandoned. Someone did not train her from the beginning, and she had developed all sorts of behavior problems. Good for you for working through those. You ended up with a great companion. As for the FitBit, I don't have a settings button anywhere that I can find. I guess I will Google how to shut it off and on.

Carolyn, good job on Cardio Slam& STS Total Body! That is a long one.

Cathy, nice job on x-Train Supercuts! I wonder why they wanted to give your sister the Covid test before an antibiotic?

Valerie, lucky you were not home for the 4th. It's nice that you have a place to go to for relaxation and different day trips. It was horrible here. Non-stop for hours. I felt bad for anyone that had dogs that are afraid of them. We are lucky with these 2, they don't pay any attention to them.

Hi to Judy, Lori and Christina

Take care,

Hi Everyone,

Friday I did a 30 minute Peloton ride and Saturday I did a 60 minute ride. I worked 4 hours Friday and 6 hours Saturday & Sunday.

Deb-I'm sorry about the dogs :( I hope they are better soon. We had more fireworks than usual here too.
I hope your sinus headache is better. I've been dealing with that too. I will likely be taking a leave from HD soon. The stress of worrying about Covid is getting to be too much.

Diane Sue-I'm sorry about your neck. I hope it's better today. Nice workouts last week!

Carolyn-Great job with Cardio Slam! I need to look at STS Total Body again. That is really a good one!

Cathy-I always have sinus issues this time of year. I had a video appt. with my ENT last week and he called in a prescription for an antibiotic and a steroid pack for me to use if I need. I've been checking my temperature regularly since April and have not had a fever. He didn't say anything about getting a Covid test.

Valerie-You are doing an awesome job with WW! It's good that you didn't have to deal with much fireworks this year. Chris and I are going to get some outdoor riding in this week.

Hi to Lori & Christina!

Judy

This morning I did Athletic Training from the Low Impact Series. That was 56 minutes and 332 calories burned. My average heart rate was 124 and maximum heart rate was 156. I used a 4 inch step (no risers) for the cardio portion, then increased the step height for the strength segments.

Deb, I’m glad that you are over the sinus headache. Hopefully the dogs will get better soon. STS total body is longer than Cathe’ newer workout, but the abs section is included.

Judy, nice job with your Peloton rides. I hope that you are able to ride outside this week.

Hello to Diane Sue, Lori, Valerie, Cathy, and Christina.

I think all the people stuck at home for months went nuts with fireworks! my neighbor in WA said it was much worse than usual, and that would be BAD. so we are glad we were over here. we ended up not doing anything yesterday, and this mornign we headed out early to a hike but most of the way there an ATV from a nearby ranch pulled up to us and advised not to hike the trail we were going to use because there were several dead cows up there. this is a well known grizzly bear area just outside the park. they were getting the carcasses out today but still is not a good time to hike! dead animals are a bear magnet. weve hiked there before and never saw any sign of cows so no idea why they were there unless they escaped. anyway that killed much of the morning so we came back here to work on a fence instead.
deb too bad..both doggies sick! Hope things tur around for them .
I am sure I have STS total body but I don't remember doing it. I did STS several times but not in a long time now. I looked for weights here and came up empty. the store where I got some before doesn't carry them anymore so I will wait until I get back to WA and look there.

judy hope you get in some outdoor riding. that has been a major exercise format for me lately. we will ride tomorrow instead. we have a nice long loop ride picked out. we did it last year but didn't quite finish the loop because we were not sure where we were. this tie we have a map.

Today I am somewhat better. I did Jessica Smith Walk Strong 4 mile power walk, 76 minutes, heart rate 130/176(not bad since my resting heart rate this morning was 58 to start) 7,602 steps. I got in 3.25 miles. So far I can never get in 4 miles with this, even when I up it into some jogs and move through breaks at a quicker pace. I then did Lindsey Samper Yoga Therapy Neck and Shoulder pain #11 and also a bit of stretching for my hip flexors and quads. I sat way too much this weekend. Total time today was 1 hour 47 minutes, 467 calories, 7,695 steps.
I am hoping to get a little housework in today and get to bed early for my appointment in the morning.

Yesterday I did XTrain Burn Sets Chest, Back and Shoulders and I'm feeling that today. This morning I did a premix of Rock'm Sock'm Kickbox. Saturday the neighbors had a party complete with fireworks show level fireworks starting at the point where I usually go to bed, and music blasting until 2:30 a.m. With my fan, and noise app, I was able to fall asleep for a couple hours but then woke up for a couple. Hopefully, they only do that once more at their usual summer party in August. They usually have their boat on Lake Michigan, but the marina they were at got sold, and they opted not to use it, so they are home and entertain quite a bit. Generally though the music is off by 10.

Carolyn my family does a Sunday night video chat, too. My parents and siblings, and whatever spouses and children stray by. We've been doing it for a few months now. Great job on Athletic Training. I haven't done any of the workouts from that series other than the cardio and yoga workouts for a long time. My next rotation will be Fit Splits/Ripped with Hiit, but I noticed there is a Strong and Sweaty/Low Impact Series rotation that I may do after that.

Deb so sorry to hear about your dogs. I hope they are both doing better. When my sister got the antibiotic she said within 24 hours her sinuses totally opened up, so it certainly worked for that, but today she saw an article of a news correspondent telling his story of just having Covid and she said it was about exactly what she had with the super bad headaches, body pain etc. She was very limited on testing options where she's at and her results were 7-10 work days, so she still won't know till probably next week. She's feeling better but still tired. If that's what it was though, that would make her pretty unlucky as she's been very careful. Rarely going out other than to hike and always masked if she does go to store etc.

Judy, you are rocking those Peloton workouts. How do you like them? Worth the money?

Valerie good of that person to warn you off the path. Bears would love to find a dead carcass that big to gorge on.

Diane Sue, glad you are feeling better. That's a lot of workout minutes. I used to do a lot more, but now 50 minutes just seems long to me. I did to break out of that mindset.

Cathy

Cathy- I like the Peloton bike a lot. I normally do Power Zone rides and I love those. I'm not really into a lot of the other rides they have. I think the bike is worth the money, but the monthly subscription for the classes is a little high.

Cathy I like longer workouts when I'm outside, like hiking or riding. for daily indoor things I stick to an hour plus minus a few minutes. especially the spin bike I max out around 40 minutes. Judy amazes me with indoor rides. its posture related. I have no trouble going for 2 to 3 hours outside but for me, outdoors is different

this is a well known area for bears along the edge of the park. I have no idea why dead cows would be there since I don't hike in areas cows graze for the obvious reasons. private property owners and park officials try to keep carcasses away cows, deer, elk, etc from areas people frequent. anyway, cows eat everything and they leave cow flops everywhere. not scenic! we assume a couple cows wandered off and got into some kind of trouble. bears usually don't bother cows. often you can see bears digging on the hillside and cows scattered around with everyone minding their own business.

we are back from our ride. the first one we tried was too hard. too steep and big loose rocks. people 4 wheel there, not good for mt bikes. we went for about half an hour uphill, mostly walking, pushing the bikes. it didn't look like it would get better so came back down and went to another spot we've ridden before and rode for another hour and a half. it was fun and enough exercise for today. 2 hours 10 min total.

Deb hope your little guys are doing better.

Diane sue I keep forgetting to ask... I think you said you've made tempeh? Ive been looking for tempeh for probably a year now and I cant find it anymore,. wil try googling for a method, but can you add any more about the process? stores used to carry it near the tofu but its been MIA around here for quite a while.

Last edited:
This morning I did X Train Legs, 53 minutes and 209 calories burned. My average heart rate was 106 and maximum heart rate was 140. Then I did JS WS3 One Mile of Motivation for 15 minutes and 105 calories burned. Average heart rate with that was 126 and maximum heart rate was 143.

Diane Sue, choosing a low intensity JS workout was a smart move until you are feeling better. Nice job with the 4 Mile Power Walk and Lindsey Samper yoga.

Cathy, X Train Burn Sets Chest, Back, and Shoulders is a good workout. I bet you did feel it the next day! I have done the Low Impact Series/Strong and Sweaty rotation. I enjoyed it. I love the Strong and Sweaty workouts and it’s nice to mix it up with other workouts in a rotation. I am doing Cathe’s July rotation, but will change it a bit if I need to do so.

Valerie, I like my workouts to be around that length too. I like to mix in shorter workouts from time to time so that I don’t get into a set pattern.

Hello to Deb, Lori, Judy, and Cathy.

Hi All! Just saying hi. we have been so overwhelmed with the move. I have been able to get in a 30 min daily workout then walking GiGi for 3 miles. But that is it. I have been getting up at 6am to get everything accomplished then crashing at 9pm. We did settle today on a two bedroom, two bath, townhouse in Altamonte Springs. The manager did a vurtual walk thru of the property. It is nice and perfect for GiGi. Nice private back area and we can install a temporary fence so GiGi can roam freely. Funny how we put our dog‘s needs before ours!! It has 2 pools and a gym. I am bringing all my workout stuff so no gym for me, but hubby will love the gym!

hope to catch up on post tomorrow morning when I first get up. Hope everyone is doing well!

This morning I did XTrain Bi's and Tri's. Still feeling my pecs from Sunday's workout! Not much in the way of steps today as I had to take Nick to the dentist. Only patients inside, so I went and got a car wash and mailed a package. Was mid-90's, not the day to just sit in a car.

Valerie glad you were able to switch gears and get in a good ride. The first place sounds pretty rough for bikes.

Carolyn I have that workout scheduled for Saturday, minus the extra stuff. You guys are making me feel lazy. :D

Lori I bet your happy to finally to finally know where you're going to be living. Sounds really nice.

Deb hope your dogs are better.

This morning I had an appointment early for another heart CT. I did a not so sweaty workout when I got home. I did Fit Tower Advanced Legs, Glutes, and Core, 50 minutes, heart rate 91/140, 80 calories,355 steps, followed by To the Mat Legs and Glutes Timesaver All Ball, 21 minutes, 28 calories, heart rate 88/108, 129 steps. I finished with Lindsey Samper Safe Stretches, 19 minutes, 20 calories, 65 steps. Total time 90 minutes, 128 calories, 549 steps. Fit bit does not do well with the effort put into these types of workouts. I got over 11,000 steps yesterday. Today though I was pretty low. I will be going back tomorrow to get the results and talk to the pulmonologist. One thing about it, they do not allow anyone other than patients into the Heart Hospital so this time parking was easy. Only a few people around. They do the temp check, send you to a desk to tell them what you are there for, they send you through the sanitizer which automatically shoots out a baseball size of foaming hand sanitizer so I was nice and wet. Then I went to another desk to check in and they sent me upstairs to another desk. Then I was in a waiting area with three people spaced around a large area. Masks required of course. I wonder if it will be that calm tomorrow in the afternoon.
Not a lot of fireworks here. I did hear a couple pop off a couple of days before. But, the main event was a show put on by the lake as usual. Gertie whimpered a little. We had the television on so I would have thought she wouldn't pay that much attention. My vets office made suggestions on their facebook page to find the quietest spot in the home make the dog comfortable and turn on soft music or a television to distract from the sounds.

Valerie, I remember that you don't care for fireworks. We haven't had a lot here other than the 4th of July display that was set off by the lake. I miss the days when our family sat outside together and oohed and awed with the grandchildren when they were small. They would have a display at a nearby church and we always got a great view from our yard. We don't do that anymore and our neighborhood is mainly older adults so not much partying here either. I understand, as we would go on vacation and I always felt so exhausted by the time I got home I felt like I needed to rest up from the vacation. When we got our fifth wheel we took our time and travelled and sometimes would park somewhere and just relax for a couple of days. No rushing. I wonder why the cows were dead. It was nice they let you know. Meeting up with a grizzly would not be nice. Okay, I see your post down further on the cows.
I will have to look around and see if I can find where I got the method for tempeh. I bought Organic soybeans dried from Amazon. I wish I could remember, it has been around 8 years. I made quite a bit and had it in sheets that I set inside a cabinet with a droplight on to help the process along. It kept it the right temperature. I used to be able to buy it at a health store here in Oklahoma City called Akins Health Foods. When we moved away there was no where to get it so I made it. It gets sort of a white looking coating over it when processing. Like fermenting things. I used it for a chili recipe that I think I got from P90X2 cookbook or maybe it was Tony Horton's book that had recipes in it. Let me see if I can find anything. Maybe google how to do it. I was into a fermenting thing I guess. No family was up there and my husband worked long hours so I made tempeh, kombucha, sauerkraut which I made different varieties of with carrots and garlic etc. Smelled kind of ugly in the dining room LOL. You have to let air get through to a lot of that stuff.

Carolyn, that is nice that one of your daughter's friends joined your family zoom. When we did our family zoom I got to meet my granddaughter's boyfriend for the first time. He has been to our house once since then with the family. I thought that I would lighten up this week. My neck is feeling even better today. The workouts I chose did not require a lot of putting body weight on my shoulders which stresses my neck and I got to work the lower half and get stretching in. I forget how brutal some of Cathes barre type work and stuff can be. Funny, things that I usually would have done with ankle weights were hard today.

Debbie, I hope the dogs are better. Any idea why they are both sick? Sick dogs are so hard to know what you can do to help. One would keep me up at night, two would be rough. I had that happen to me once with two dogs and I was up and down all night and cleaning up messes. Not a pleasant memory. So relieved when they were better.

Judy, nice work on the peloton rides this weekend between working.

Cathy, at least your neighbors usually quiet down earlier. You have a couple of good workout rotations planned. It is sad that every time we feel ill we have to worry that it might be covid. Maybe your sister had a sinus infection or something. It seems like there are a lot of variances in peoples covid symptoms. I hope your sister comes out negative. That is such a long time to get results. That would be well into having the virus. Did your sister run a fever?

Lori, nice that you found a place to live and now have a plan for you and Gigi. I am sure getting things together is a nonstop stressful situation. Do you have a move in day set up? Nice that you are still getting out on a walk with Gigi every day.

Valerie here is a link that gives a good description on how to make tempeh. I like the idea that she says you don't need to hull the soybeans. That was a lot of work. Now I know that you do not have to. I did the method in the baggies with holes poked through. https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...4A95C2C48689F026D24E4A95C2C48689F02&FORM=VIRE
I don't remember a starter packet. I may have purchased some though. I used to have a place that sold all of that sort of thing along with scoby for kombucha. I purchased from. You may find it on Amazon as I purchased a starter kit for Kombucha tea from Amazon the first time.

Just in case someone is interested here is the Tempeh chili recipe. I found it in my ibooks on my very old ipad that the grandchildren play with. I put it on word and printed it out. It is really good. I don't know if the calories and stuff is for the 4 servings or the 6. That is how it is in the book. There are several recipes I need to pull up out of that book. I have to say, pretty much everything I made out of it was really good. Some of the recipes are repeated in Tony Horton's Bring it Book. The author of Karma Chow is Tony Horton's cook.

Smoky Tempeh Chili from The Karma Chow Ultimate Cookbook 4-6 servings
2 Tbs olive oil
1 medium red onion
3 garlic cloves
2 red bell peppers , deseeded and diced
1 8 oz package tempeh crumbled
2 Tbs chili powder blend or chipotle powder (if you like it spicy)
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon dried oregano
2 15 ounce cans fire roasted diced tomatoes
1 cup water
1 15 ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 15 ounce can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 15 ounce can white beans, drained and rinsed
1 cup frozen corn
Cooked brown rice , optional
Fresh chopped cilantro garnish, optional
Heat olive oil in a stockpot over medium heat and saute red onion, garlic and red bell peppers. Once soft crumble in the tempeh and the chili powder, coriander, cumin, and oregano. Cook for a few minutes, stirring to incorporate the tempeh with all the spices. Add the tomatoes, water, and beans. Cover and simmer for about 30 minutes. Add the corn and cook a few more minutes until the corn is soft. Serve over brown rice and top with cilantro if desired.
Serving 430 calories, total fat 10 gm., saturated fat 2 gm., cholesterol 0mg, sodium 440 mg, carbohydrates 62 gm, fiber 17 gm, protein 25 gm

This morning I did Low Impact Sweat One for 27 minutes and 172 calories burned. My average heart rate was 124 and maximum heart rate was 146. I had my virtual WW meeting this morning. WW is gradually reopening some meeting locations here, but virtual meetings will continue for a while. My location has a few Saturday meetings now with limited attendance. You have to reserve a spot in order to attend.

Lori, it must be a relief to have your housing settled. It sounds like you found a good place.

Cathy, great job with X Train Bis and Tris. That one is on the rotation for today, but I decided to skip it. I’m still having problems with my left forearm and wrist and bicep curls will sometimes irritate it. Don’t be fooled by my add on workouts—they are usually something easy. Yesterday I wanted to get more steps in early because I missed my target several days last week.

Diane Sue, great job with Fit Tower Advanced Legs, Glutes, and Core and To The Mat Legs and Glutes. I’m glad that your appointment went well yesterday.

Hello to All and have a great day.

Carolyn, nice work today. A lot of places have setting appointments since they have to have smaller groups. Nice that you get to do the virtual meetings.

Today I did Kelly Coffey Cardio Quick Fix both combined, 48 minutes, 250 calories, heart rate 124/170, 4,957 steps. I need to get ready for my appointment this afternoon.

This morning I did XTrain All Out Low Impact Hiit the floor and step portions. Even in the basement where it's a lot cooler with a fan on the humidity was killer. And it's very weird that my Fitbit told me my max HR was 204 when I never saw it go over 130's. Even weirder this morning it showed the max of 204 and when I just looked it had lowered it to 200. Definitely got a good workout in 33 minutes, but I'm also pretty sure that if my heart rate had gotten that high, I wouldn't have been finishing it. 160 would be high for me.

Diane Sue great job on the workouts! Hope your appointment went well. My sister did have a sinus infection, I think the local urgent care was just a bit over the top and they wouldn't have her records to verify that it's a recurring issue for her. The antibiotics opened up her sinuses within 24 hours and she started getting better. She did finally get her test results today and it was negative for COVID. That chili recipe sounds good!

Haven't walked as much today because of two things. It's really hot and the mosquitos have finally shown up with a vengeance. So, unless I want to spray myself down every couple hours, it's not a fun activity. Tomorrow I'm taking Derek and a friend to the Toledo Zoo, next week we're taking another friend to the zoo he works at, but after that, I may have to curtail his trips. Cases are starting to go up again here and he wants to go to zoos in S. Bend, Grand Rapids, and Fort Wayne before college starts in four weeks. Told him next week we will have to reassess based on what is happening due to all the congregating over the holiday weekend. We needed a few things today, so I went to the local store. About 1/3 of the customers, including at least 5 over 70 not wearing masks. I can go to the same store where I normally shop and it's near 100% masks. I just live in the wrong place!

Hi to all!!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.