Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 7/21/2024

Today I did Perfect Pump Lower Body, 33 minutes, 116 calories, heart rate 109/131. I finished with CDorner Stretch after step(17 minutes) + Mobility Challenge day 12 Upper Body Stretch(10 minutes), 27 minutes, 38 calories. I wanted a good stretch after the lower body, but did not want to skip upper. My calf was starting to get tight again. I am getting tired of Walmart being out of grocery items. No sweet potatoes. How could they be out of them? I like to top them with southwestern seasonings and ground turkey. It totally messes me up when I am making a dish using items and then I don't get part of the items.

Judy nice work on yesterday's 60 minutes of endurance rows and 4 - 100 rep challenges from XTrain, triceps, biceps, shoulder raises and scarecrows. It has been years since I have done the 100 reps. Nice work on 4 day split warm up and lower body and core and finishing with stretch max with the band.

Valerie, we have had the same thing happen when we have went to Lowes for things and ended upcoming home and finding it on Amazon. We still have Crest Foods in most of the cities around us and in Oklahoma City. They were great to have during Covid because we were able to go shopping at 2 in the morning. hen there is Homeland stores and Aldis, and Sprouts. Are there actural Kroeger stores? Around here they deliver from a big warehouse of something I think. I really am not sure as it seems like they just started coming around the last couple of years. There is a Sprouts 5 miles from me, but I hate the traffic in the area. They keep building in she City next to us and I would not be surprised if another grocery store went in around the area soon. I hate going there to the Walmart as it is constantly packed with cars in the lot. They put in a Chili's last month and it opened. Dutch Brothers Coffee went in and they are building all over. Residents that have lived there for years are not so happy about all of the building and apartments are popping up all around here. There are still fields and cows close by, but I look for things to change.

Carolyn, maybe the prices were higher because Kroeger's I was looking at is their delivery service. I am sure that would raise costs. I was comparing items that I routinely have delivered from Walmart. I don't think there is an actual store. I looked and it gives hours, and there is pictures of a big facility off the highway quite a bit away from where I live. I gather it is new and there is more plans in the works. I thought it might be an actual store. I click on it and it takes me to delivery orders. I order from Whole foods when I am after special items to cook. Whole Foods is good about having local stuff as well. They carry my favorite Coffee from a roaster downtown. Fresh scissortail brand kale and salads. And I love Driscolls sweetest batch blackberries. They are my treat when I shop as I buy at least two containers. Walmart does carry a few things that I would normally get at Sprouts. Sometimes though they ship it up from Dallas. Unfortunately I ordered a can of Safe Catch Albacore tuna to compare it to Wild Planet and they shipped it so I have one can of tuna coming Friday. Weird really. They do not charge me shipping for it because I am a Walmart + customer and I bought other groceries.
Nice work on Jessica Smith's Hiit Walk today.

I guess I got a little chatty. I am still going to go work on my painting a bit before I go to bed. I am waiting for a tube of paint for part of it to get here from Amazon tomorrow.

Hello to Cathy

We had the same thing happen here where both kroger and albertsons have bought other grocery chains . its not obvious because they kept original names so even of it sounds like different companies, it isnt. kroger is considered less expensive than some other chains, but I'm not sure that's true. Kroger has big stores with good selection. there are a few places I wont shop at all, ever. a huge "no "on Walmart and Target. Ugh. awful places. Target added a grocery department but they still have the same awful check out set up that is not workable for groceries. dirty feeling places with crummy produce. we ( locally) dont have Sprouts, Central Market or Whole Foods near by. I use Kroger and Haggen(owned by Albertsons). There is another called winco. a discount place but no selection. fine if you like the one kind of bread they carry! I hope the deal is blocked. We dont eat meat products so my main interest is produce department. I dont worry about price that much. I want good selection and good quality and I dont want to go to 6 stores to get what I need.
its the same with Lowes. if we need a particular electrical part, thats what I need and whoever has it gets the business.

we rode the trail again this morning for 15 miles 1 hr 15 minutes. tomorrow we will try to walk somewhere.

Diane sue I forgot to say, in WA Kroger is known as QFC. when I lived in the midwest, Kroger was called Kroger. Safeway and Fred Meyer are chains are owned by either of the big two companies, and there probably are others. it gets very confusing because of different names and at one time they were all separate chains. It would undermine competition if every store in an area is owned by the same company, which is what we are facing here. They are claiming they need to be bigger so they can compete with Costco and Walmart etc.

Last edited:
Yesterday was a backwards day for me. I had my doctor appt that was basically nothing more than touch base and get the order for bloodwork. I did some searching and he's 81 now. Only practices 2 1/2 days a week now, but I've always appreciated his philosophy and because often what I've needed him for is when I messed up my calves, and my back and he has a long history of doing sports medicine, including as team doctor for MSU and local high school teams. And I swear I have been going to him for at least 20 years and he has visually aged very little. So, I didn't do a workout. After my appt, which was near by Lansing, I went the opposite way to K'zoo which is about 1 1/2 hours, and after visiting my parents I went and checked out the zoos late night. Not sure how they are making money, as there weren't many people there, and they are paying staff 2-3 extra hours depending on what they do. Plus, the animals are used to getting to go inside and have supper at 5, so they were all just waiting to go in. LOL This morning I did Boxing Hiit Express and P30 extended stretch. Now that Trader Joe's is open, I've been going there first, but I think another couple times and I'll have figured out what I want there, and go back to doing WF first. Trader Joe's doesn't open till 9, and I end up not getting home until after noon.

Carolyn great job with Stacked Sets Upper Body, and Jessica Smith’s HiiT Walk.

Judy great job with 60 minutes of endurance rows, 100 rep challenges from XTrain, triceps, biceps, shoulder raises and scarecrows, 4 DS Kickbox Warm Up, then 4DS Lower body & Core and Stretch Max with the band. My husband used to go to Kroger when he was working in Lansing, but none are convenient to the area I shop, so I just go to Meijer.

Valerie great job with the Mountain Bike Ride.

Diane Sue great job with CDorner Fast Basic Step, Perfect Pump Lower Body, and the Stretch workouts.

This morning I did Stacked Sets Lower Body for 41 minutes and 158 calories burned. My average heart rate was 113 and maximum heart rate was 143.

Judy, great job with 4 DS Kickboxing warm up, 4 DS Lower Body & Core, and Stretch Max with band.

Diane Sue, nice job with Perfect Pump Lower Body and CDorner stretch. I don’t order groceries, but I’m pretty sure that Kroger’s prices are slightly higher for delivery. The delivery is a more recent thing for them. As for tuna, I’ve tried both but I prefer Wild Planet. Safe Catch is my second choice.

Cathy, nice job with walking at the zoo after your doctor’s appointment, Boxing HiiT Express, P 30 Extended Stretch.

Valerie, nice job with the trail ride. I am very particular about my produce so I don’t shop for it at Target or Walmart. I haven’t been to a Walmart in over 10 years. It was never my kind of store. I’m fine with Target, but not for groceries.

Have a great day everyone.

Today I did CDorner 70's 80's Party aerobics, 50 minutes, 256 calories, heart rate 132/162, 5,060 steps. This was a fun one and all low impact unless you want to do the occasional jacks. Easy to stick with low impact and I got a good workout. I finished off with CDorner Neck & Back chair stretch 26 minutes, 35 calories.(I skipped the shavasana rest part and did the last segment which was a final neck stretch holding hands up under the ears and tilting head side to side 20 times) It is a slow stretch and most of the time I do not just want to lay there and do nothing. I then decided that I had enough time to do STS 2.0 no equipment abs, 11 minutes, 24 calories. Total time 87 minutes, 315 calories.

Valerie, Albertsons has changed it's name so many times over the years. We also have an Uptown Grocery which I have never tried, but was always curious as it was a big two story building and I wondered how you drag a cart around two floors. We have a Cash Saver which I think is Homeland damaged and out dated stuff or something up the street from the close Walmart. I went there when we first moved in this house and never again will I go there. I picked up a head of cauliflower and it was rotten on the bottom, produce looked bad. Boxes of stuff were beat up. We also have several Natural Grocers around. They never seem to have a lot of people shopping at them. I have been a few times. You had to take in your own bags. I did not know that and one of the workers gave me some boxes. My worry about Natural Grocers is that if they are not that busy, how fresh is their meats and stuff since not as many people are in there buying.

Cathy, it sounds like you do a lot of driving around. I have been seeing the same medical people for my Primary care since my children were young. My husband has asked me why I don't pick someone closer, and I refuse. I know them and they have delt with my issues for years. My daughter was a medical assistant there while going to med school, daughter in law worked in the office area and my youngest daughter did filing when there was paper files and sorting things while she was going to school to teach. Anyway, I get it. Why change. Things like when I fell on my knee and it hurts so bad and swelling was not going down, they just sent me straight to the diagnostic imaging right away with papers to get me in for an x ray. Most would have probably set me up for another day somewhere.
Nice work on Boxing Hiit Express and P30 Extended Stretch today.

Carolyn, I am thinking that I will probably like Wild Planet the best. I really am picky about the tuna. I get the albacore. Walmart substituted skip jack once and I did not like that one. I like that it is a nice solid chunk and not bits of tuna floating around in a can of water. I had a tuna sandwich on Daves thin sliced bread toasted for breakfast this morning since it was almost lunch time. I was so late getting around because I worked on my painting till 2 am. Couldn't sleep.
Good job on Stacked sets lower body today. I have to shop at Walmart along with Spouts or Whole Foods as I cannot get a lot of things that my husband likes to eat. Plus I shop between Walmart and Amazon for paper goods and, personal care things for pricing. I usually end up getting cleaners like Method cleaners and stuff from Amazon. Sometimes Whole Foods. The other stuff sets off my allergies and I am coughing the whole time I am cleaning.

This morning I did JS 15 Minute Calorie Blaster, 15 minutes, 111 calories burned, average heart rate 134, and maximum heart rate 153. Then I did STS 2.0 Mini Ball Abs and Chair Yoga. That was 32 minutes and 61 calories burned.

Diane Sue, great job with CDorner 70s and 80s Party Aerobics, Neck and Back Chair stretch, and STS 2 No Equipment Abs. I’ve been with my primary care doctor a long time too. I often think that I should find someone closer to where I live, but I don’t really want to change.

Hello to Valerie, Judy, and Cathy.

Today was STS Week 2 Squat Rack Legs. I again stretched during the rest periods and I did Mat Yoga after it, so I'm hoping I won't be as sore as last week.

Carolyn great job with Stacked Sets Lower Body, JS 15 MInute Calorie Blaster, Mini Ball ABs and Chair Yoga. Yes, often long time familiarity with a doctor is a big plus, when Nick had his foot broken his second year of college, because when you're 5'3" deciding to play club Rugby is such a great idea, I brought his home because of insurance. Got him in late in the day to our doctor, who got on the phone with a surgeon who agreed to stay and wait to see us. Sped up the whole process and he was home barely a week.

Diane Sue great job with CDorner 70's 80's Party aerobics, stretching and No Equipment Abs. I'm home most days, but when I go somewhere there's definitely driving involved. We are 5 and 10 miles from 2 smalls towns, but do most things in Lansing or Battle Creek which are 30-40 minutes drive depending on destination, and my parents 55.

Hi Valerie and Judy.

We did a hike this morning, 2 hours. the park by the salt water. no dolphins this time, only pigeon guillemots. a little saltwater bird. a nice walk but its on a bluff so a lot of climbing up and down.

We are about 5 miles from costco and also the main grocery stores, but of course not in the same direction. its so much faster to shop if you've been to the store before and you know where most things are. wish my primary care was that close. she changed clinics to one that's a much longer drive. its not that many miles but the heavy traffic makes it take a long time. Traffic here is awful. its probably 25 miles but I allow a very generous 2 hours each way.

Today, I did a fun workout with CDorner Tone and Sweat Richard Simmons Tribute, (arms and cardio) 49 minutes, 184 calories, heart rate 125/144. I used 8 and 5 lb dumbbells. The music was as expected being oldies like Pretty Woman, To Late Baby, Spirit in the Sky... Chris and the couple that were working out with her were wearing oldie fitness costumes and the guy a wig and costume like Richard Simmons. It was funny.
I followed with Killer Legs Barre Bonus, 20 minutes, 53 calories and finished with CDorner Happy Hips + mobility challenge day 28 upper body.
Total time 1 hour 41 minutes, 285 calories.

Carolyn, nice job on JS 15 Minute Calorie Blaster, STS 2.0 Mini Ball Abs and Chair Yoga.

Cathy, nice work on STS Squat Rack Legs, I stay home most of the time, but doctors or things with family are longer drives. I leave an hour and 10 minutes ahead of my arthritis appointment when I go.

Valerie, nice job on the hike today. I am sure your traffic is much worse than here for the most part.

Last edited:
Yesterday I did a 2 mile run and today I ran/walked 3 miles. Today I also did the Xtrain 100 rep challenges (upper body) and Xtrain Bonus Abs 2.

Diane Sue-Great job with Perfect Pump Lower Body, CDorner stretch, CDorner 70s and 80s Party Aerobics, Neck and Back Chair stretch, STS 2 No Equipment Abs, CDorner Tone and Sweat Richard Simmons Tribute, Killer Legs Barre Bonus and CDorner mobility work. We have Kroger, Meijer, Busch’s, Whole Foods, Trader Joe’s, Plum Market and Fresh Thyme for groceries. Kroger and Meijer tend to be less expensive. Busch’s is a local Detroit-Ann Arbor chain. Busch’s, Kroger and Fresh Thyme are the closest to us and we shop there the most. I love Plum Market but it is pricey and a bit of a drive so we don’t get there that often.

Valerie-I haven’t been into a Walmart in at least 10 years. I’ve never been a fan. I don’t mind the Targets around here but I don’t buy groceries there. Great job with your trail ride.

Carolyn-Great job with Stacked Sets Lower Body, JS 15 Minute Calorie Blaster, STS 2.0 Mini Ball Abs and Chair Yoga.

Cathy-Great job with Boxing Hiit Express and P30 extended stretch, STS Week 2 Squat Rack Legs, and Mat Yoga.

Reactions: WD
I should have mentioned we have a trader Joe thats not too far away now, 20 miles or so, but often bad traffic between here and there. TJ's is fine but I think of it as a specialty store, not where I would buy weekly groceries. I went into a walmart only once. I dont remember what I was looking for but it was a hot summer day, and someone had vomited right in the entryway. no one was cleaning it up. I went in dodging the obstacle, and came out in 15 minutes and it was still there. that was it, I never went back. Target is famous to me for never, ever having what I went in to buy, but it takes forever to figure that out! you can wander around for hours and never find any help. the little call button system does not work. checking out groceries would be horrible because of the way the check out stations are set up. Ive tried many times because its right next to costco where I go every week but not Target anymore. I just want to go to a store, get what I need, and not make an ordeal out of it. its interesting that now saturday mornings are the least busy time to shop here.

Today I put together a step workout from Body Max 2. Warm-up, the 3 step combos and then the 4 short cardio step segments, threw in SB Bonus Abs and ended with BM2 stretch and it was just under an hour.

Valerie great job with the hike along the bluff. Sound lovely. Only time I deal with bad traffic hear on a regular basis is going to my parents. I'm on I-94 for a bit getting to the zoo, but for some reason the Battle Creek to K'zoo section is always worse when I go. I time my shopping for days and times when traffic will be lighter. TJ's has some unique things we can eat and I really like there there Freezer/refrigerated sections have things labeled above if they are vegan. Speeds things up a lot. I've been in the Walmart locally once years ago when someone gave me a gift certificate, nasty place. I was also in the one in Marquette when it was brand new and that one had wide aisles, and was bright and clean. Only 24 hour place at that time and I needed something before we headed home. They've since put in a Meijer up there that's huge. Not there biggest store, but everything is very wide aisles and not even the tiniest bit cluttered. It's not there biggest store, but far bigger than any I'd shopped at. But, they only have 3 stores in the entire UP.

Diane Sue great job with CDorner Tone and Sweat Richard Simmons Tribute, sounds like fun, and Killer Legs Barre and mobility.

Judy great job with the run, run/walk, 100 rep challenge and XTrain Bonus Abs 2.

Hi Carolyn.

Rest day today. I did my usual produce shopping and I was planning to make a tomato tart for dinner but that will wait for another day. I don’t have a lot of energy today.

Great workouts Ladies. Have a nice day.

Today I did CDorner Cardio Kickboxing Low impact or High, 37 minutes, 199 calories, heart rate 136/163, 3,494 steps., and my watch says 2.5 miles. I followed with CDorner Full Body Stretch with Towel or Strap, 32 minutes, 40 calories. This one stretches me out really well. I do wish there was not so much chatter, but I can deal with it.

Judy, nice work on yesterday's 2 mile run and today's run/walk 3 miles and today's Xtrain 100 rep challenges and Xtrain Bonus Abs 2. Before we moved, I used a Walmart Market rather than go to the big store. I think Sprouts is more expensive unless I shop the sales. I got my Walmart small order yesterday and got a carton of Happy free-range eggs with 3 broken eggs and the bottom of the carton wet. I imagine looking at the carton that they were broken before they ever left the store. The guy that delivered called me to let me know there were ants on the doorstep, and I probably would want to get the groceries quickly which was nice. I let it go as I have had to call them multiple times lately and they keep refunding my money and telling me to keep items. We go for a long time with no problem and then it seems to come all at once. I may try Kroger sometime. I need to do a Whole Foods order soon. They carry my favorite coffee and the best batch blackberries and strawberries. It is like they know as they keep taunting me with a Whole Foods picture with the blackberries on it.

Valerie, I think they have Trader Joes in Tulsa, but I won't be going that far to shop. I think the areas the stores are placed makes a difference on the shopping experience. The Target that I liked was well organized, but further than I would drive to. I have not shopped Target in years other that to order a gift card for my granddaughter. One of the Walmarts I went to was awful. I stopped there because it was by the library in the area I used to go to. There was people hanging out in the parking lot that made me worry about parking there. Then I couldn't get a container of deoderant because they were all locked up and no one to unlock the cabinets. I just ended up grabbing a couple of things and rushed to my car.

Cathy, nice job on the step workout you put together from Body Max 2, warm-up, the 3 step combos and then the 4 short cardio step segments and SB Bonus abs, and ending with BM2 stretch.

Carolyn, the tomato tart sounds yummy. I hope you get some rest and energy.

A tomato tart got my attention too. I would love some! we wont have home grown tomatoes for a time yet. I love everything tomato. they need to be good ones.
diane sue, here, they used to let people camp in the walmart parking lot for free. nice idea I suppose in a way, but we have enough problems with homeless people all over the place. I have lost any sympathy I had. mentally ill people belong in institutions not on the street. we need to reopen the institutions and reinstitute involuntary committment. The courts need to realize the damage they have done. crazy people dont do well with no restrictions. thanks to the reagan administration. if you combine the mentally ill with the drug abuse folks, its easy to see why free parking in a great big parking lot where you wont be bothered is a very very bad idea. I dont know if walmart still allows it.
another reason for shopping at amazon. everything that costs a few dollars is getting locked up. requires a clerk to unlock. makes shopping even more fun and efficient. its not as bad here as it is other places but you can see it at Lowes and HD too. everything in a locked case or on a leash.

took today mostly off. did therapy work. we will ride in the morning.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.