Pentagenarians & Beyond : W/B 7/19

FitGran

Cathlete
Good Afternoon. This morning I did Jane Adams Gentle Yoga Morning Energy Practice which was 18 minutes and 39 calories burned. Later I did another practice from the dvd, Standing Poses Flowing and Traditional. That one was 22 minutes with 32 calories burned.

I hope that everyone is having a nice day.

Carolyn we both posted a new thread exactly 24 minutes ago! talk about coincidence. I dont know how to take down a thread once posted so I will go try to redirect to this thread.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
DH and I did a road ride this morning, 25 miles in 2 hours and a couple minutes. our regular ride but faster than usual. n I have trouble with my wrists and hands getting numb from pressure of handlebars. glove padding doesn't help. we are slightly underinflating my tires the last few rides and it helps a LOT. makes the ride a little less hard and jouncy. I didn't need to stop as often today to shake out my hands. tires are still inflated but instead of 110 lbs they at slightly less, like 95 or so. amazing how much it helps.
Hope eveyrone is having a nice weekend!

Hi all,

Today I did LIVE Metabolic 300, 48 minutes, 339 calories. Carolyn, Valerie, thanks for starting the thread today!

Valerie, you must really like baked tortilla chips! That has to be a lot of work. Thanks for the info on the vacuum. I find it very difficult to do stairs. DUH...why didn't I think to do them going up instead of down?

Judy, great walk/run! Yes, I plan to use those 3 LIVE burn sets workouts in a week rotation, with some cardio. Of course, I had to do Metabolic 300, as it is a new favorite of mine. I figure it counts as both a total body strength workout, as well as a cardio. She even does those 300 cardio moves at the end. Glad you got the leave underway. I bet you are feeling less stressed not having to go into work now.

Cathy, great that your power came back! Nice job on those steps and Rev'd Up Rumble!

Diane Sue, hope you are enjoying your family get together today!

Carolyn, good job on the JS Fat Blaster and yoga workouts!

Hi to Lori, &Christina

Take care,

Deb- Great job with Metabolic 300! I will be trying that one soon too! I do feel less stressed not having to go to work at this time.

Carolyn-Nice job with the yoga!

Valerie-Great ride! We've had storms here all day so couldn't get out but hopefully we'll get a ride in this week.

Yesterday I did Great Glutes minus the standing work, still being careful of my back. This morning was Rockout Knockout. I'd forgotten what a great cardio workout that one is! Really keeps my HR at peak. Yesterday I also managed to get in some walking time at the zoo. I took Nick to work and he was supposed to ride home with Derek who was going in later, but then because of the storms Derek got told to stay home. So, I went back a bit early and walked about 30 minutes before Nick was done. Always nice to go when it's practically empty.

Valerie, years back when I was riding I had the same issue with numbness. I had pregnancy induced carpal tunnel, and when I do too much of certain things it pops back up. Good to know if I ever start riding again about the tire pressure.

Great job on the workouts everyone!

Cathy it depends on how smooth the road surface is. these are chip sealed roads in farm areas. they are small pebbles pressed into asphalt. you cant let too much air out or the bike will get hard to pedal, but backing off from the recommended pressure, whatever that is on your tires, might help. we discovered this by accident. my tires were a little low but we didn't want to fire up the air compressor before leaving, and I noticed it half way thru the ride. I've always had trouble with hand numbness, limits how far or often I can ride. this is a road bike, mt bike is ok because you sit more upright and less hand pressure. Ive tried every glove in the world. the first thing that has actually helped.

Deb I hate vacuuming. at least a canister vac doesn't have to go up or down each stair with you. my mother used to go bat shit crazy about vacuuming and how she wanted it done. she had one of those awful Hoover uprights and no matter what, it wasn't right. I'm happy DH does much of it now.

Last edited:
Today I did LiTE Metabolic Blast. That was 42 minutes and 251 calories burned. My average heart rate was 124 and maximum heart rate was 157. Afterburn was the scheduled workout on the rotation, but I was dreading it. I decided to go with a less intense metabolic workout and I am glad that I did.

Cathe, great job with Great Glutes and I agree with you on Rockout Knockout. It’s always nice to get in some extra walking in a peaceful setting.

Waving hello to everyone. Have a wonderful day and try to stay cool!

Today I did Raw Box and sculpt outdoors, 34 minutes, 171 calories, heart rate 125/161, 3,092 steps using a 10# dumbbell for the lower body which was the sculpting. I did some stretching and therapy moves, but did not track the stretches. We had a nice time with family yesterday. Only one of my grandson's did not come. My granddaughter kept trying to reach him to see what was up, but no answer.

Carolyn, nice work on the Jane Adams yesterday. I took a complete rest from workouts yesterday and only Jessica Smith core balance from strength and balance on Saturday with Lindsey Samper chair and other stretches. Afterburn is a tough metabolic workout. I understand why you was dreading it. I looked at it recently and decided it was a no.

Deb, the live metabolic 300 must be a good one :) I will be interested in checking it out one of these days.

Valerie, that is amazing that a little less inflation on the tires makes that much of a difference. My Kirby can be broken down to a canister with hose and attachments, but it is still very heavy and uncomfortable as you are dragging about the heavy part of it. Still not great for stairs, and a pain to set back up to upright for carpeting. I just don't bother. I carry the whole upright up the stairs and set it where the stairs turn since the hose is long enough to get up the bottom half and the top half with it there. I like my new one for the stairs. Works great for me and not heavy.

Judy, so happy things have worked out for you so that you can take more time off of work.

Cathy, nice work with Great Glutes and Rockout Knockout. I love Rockout Knockout. Nice that you got a chance to do some walking around when you went to pick up your son.

I did rock em sock em along with the tricep meltdown and the ab workout. Supposed to have some air conditioning service today but they got tied up and moved it to tomorrow. Too hot to do much outside ... mid eighties that to me is pretty terrible. Humidity is low but I’m heat wimp.
I don’t think I have Rock out knockout. Is it part of a series? I modify all the angels and big air jack jumps. I’ll do small jumps but that’s it.
I remember doing afterburn when I first got it but found it too hard. Yep dread factor.

Good morning,

Yesterday I id Live "Move It". 38 minutes, 267 calories, today I did LIVE Burn Sets Biceps & Triceps, 38 minutes, 130 calories.

Cathy, good job on Great Glutes and Rockout Knockout!

Valerie, I hear you on the vacuuming!. I do have a Hoover canister that I try to use on the stairs as well. I have to lift it up for each riser.

Carolyn, great job on Lite Metabolic Blast. Agree on Afterburn....I think I sold that on Ebay.

Diane Sue, nice that your family were all together on Sunday. I hated our Kirby so much, that John took it into the office and they use it there. Carrying it up and down stairs was awful. Everyone I know that has/had one says they hate it. We have 2 of them at the dog club that members "donated" just to get rid of them.

Hi to Lori, Judy, & Christina,

Take care,

I wanted to love the Miele vacuum but something was always wrong with it, things like the handle would not release. One day I got so furious I took it by The handle and smashed it on the floor until it broke off. Not a well controlled moment! I wanted to throw the whole machine off the upstairs deck. I hated HATED it. It felt good to see that evil thing break apart.

ETA spent the cost of the vacuum over again on repairs before I had my tantrum. it was very expensive to repair and always took a long time. it was never my fault until the last tirade. I own that! I was not spending any more $$ on it!. I bought a Kenmore canister. not
great but reasonable. we used to have more carpeting than we do now. Kenmore brand has gone downhill since that time.

thanks Carolyn, I bought Flextrain. not the others. I enjoyed roc/sock yesterday. a little too jumpy but OK.

we mt biked this morning for 93 minutes. it was lovely and quiet. nobody else around. I lost 2 more pounds. I am thinner ( not thin) than in probably 30 years. not a big total loss but not done. goal is 2.5 lbs away but I might reset that. down 12 total. I was already been down about 10 from my highest weight when I started WW this time. I was at the high point briefly and the first 10 were pretty easy but this last 12 has been a battle. will reevaluate when I get to goal. at the rate Im going it might be a month yet.

Last edited:
Today I did To the Mat Legs and Glutes. It was 49 minutes and 101 calories burned. My average heart rate was 96 and maximum heart rate was 121. I already feel it in my other thighs, glutes, and Core! I don’t think of doing this workout often since I hate floor work, but it’s pretty good. There is a good balance with the ball, bands, and straight floor work. I decided to log it as pilates on Fitbit and Spark People.

Diane Sue, it sounds like you had a great family day. I’m glad that you are able to do that. Nice job with Raw Box and Sculpt and stretching. I got rid of my Kirby vacuum two years ago. It was just too heavy to be practical.

Valerie, Rockout Knockout is a stand alone workout. It came out at the same time as Flextrain, Great Glutes, and Lean Legs and Abs. There was also two step workouts, but you might not remember those. I’m really glad that I returned the Miele vacuum. I decided that it was too expensive to have problems right out of the box. The handle did not connect as it should have to allow the power switch to work. Not something I wanted to deal with.

Deb, great workouts this week. Yes, the Kirby vacuum needed to go!

Hello to Judy, Lori, Cathy, and Christina. Have a wonderful day everyone.

This morning I did All Out Low Impact HiiT, no discs, for 34 minutes and 233 calories burned. My average heart rate was 126 and maximum heart rate was 151.

Waving hello to everyone. I wish all of you a wonderful day.

Hi,

No workout today, yesterday I had 10,322 steps along with the workout.

Valerie, great job on the weight loss! That vacuum sounds like a lemon! I don't blame you for what you did.

Carolyn, nice job on All Out Low Impact, and To the Mat, Legs & Glutes. I don't seem to reach for To the Mat.....I feel some dread factor that keeps me away. It's probably the floor work, not my favorite either.

Hi to Lori, Judy, Diane Sue, & Cathy

Take care,

Tee hee.. Im not proud of my tantrum but I did suffer with that Miele vacuum for at least 10 years before my meltdown. Before that I had an old Royal canister that was a fabulous vacuum until the power head died. I still use the canister part as a garage vac.
vacuuming has always been a sore spot for me. my mother made it such a massive ongoing issue that whenever anyone mentions "vacuum" I get this angry feeling. so I'm not really dealing with it like an adult but as a kid who could never ever get it right, no matter what.

weather changed and its cool and cloudy today. a nice break.

I'm not a big fan of workouts like To The Mat either. Its probably got benefits but I don't enjoy doing it. always get sore in weird places. not sure what to do today but I will get to it.

I ran on the treadmill for 20 min, trying to get back into this, then did Xtrain burn sets bi's and tri's and the ab workout. this was a good combination.

Last edited:
Hi Everyone,

Monday I ran/walked 5 miles. I also signed up for 3 more virtual races, a 5k in August and a 5 and 10k in September. Yesterday I did the Up Only premix from Pyramid Upper Body, then Fit Tower Legs & Glutes Only premix. I also did a 30 minute walk-run. Today I did Yin Yoga and the beginner DVD that came with the Fit Tower. I feel like revisiting Fit Tower workouts this week.

Deb-Great job with the Live workouts! I plan on doing the Live Burn Sets later this week.

Valerie-Congratulations on the weight loss! Great job! I don't blame you for the vacuum. It sounds like a really bad one.

Carolyn-Nice workouts this week! I agree about To The Mat. I think it's a really good workout but I rarely do it. I don't really like floor work that much.

Diane Sue-Raw Box & Sculpt Outdoors sounds like a good one. I'll have to check it out.

Hi to Lori, Cathy & Christina!

Today I did Cathe Party Rockin Step #2, 55 minutes, heart rate 120/156, 263 calories :rolleyes: (I kept having to adjust the Fitbit on my arm and at the end it stayed the same calories for 3 minutes while I kept running around and jumping trying to get it to move and then it jumped up 3 calories, so weird)4,800 steps.
I then did Two the Max solid step segment as I wanted to have at least 300 calories out of this workout. This was only 8 minutes, 41 calories, heart rate 123/145, 760 steps.
I finished with Lindsey Samper yoga neck and shoulder pain I believe it is number 8 and stopped at 16 minutes, 15 calories, heart rate 87/101.

Speaking of vacuum cleaners, I was just thinking about one we purchased when we saw them at the State Fair. A German one called Vorwerk. It worked well, but was pretty light. It just got to be so hard to get bags and stuff for it. At first I had to go to an office building where they had a small office to pick up what I needed. After awhile it disappeared. I just looked and they still have headquarters here in the US though. I don't know if it is just because the new Shark vacuum has a dust cup and I can see what I vacuumed up or the Kirby is not working as well as I thought. I couldn't believe I filled the dust cup when I vacuumed the two rooms upstairs. The only room used is the workout room most of the time and the bath which is bare floor. I vacuum at least 3 times a week.

Valerie, my mother wanted perfection on all household tasks. She told me once as an adult she felt bad because she was hard on me. The worst was trying to fold fitted sheets like she wanted. The pockets had to be put together perfectly and they had to be folded just right when I was done. I could never get that right. You know what? Now I i fold in half and roll it up to so it is the same size as the top sheet when it is folded to put away. It is just not worth that much hassle. I hate ironing.

Judy, nice workouts. Kelly has a couple of workouts done outdoors that are good. I wish the sound was better on the first one she did, but it is still a lot of fun. I did the Advanced Fit Tower Legs and glutes recently.

Deb, when I was going to physical therapy last year and had so much pain in that one arm and shoulder, dragging that Kirby upstairs and using it was painful. I kept trying to do so many things with the other arm to the point it was starting to hurt. We did no buy the Kirby though. When my Dad passed away I got his which was new and most of the parts were in the box. He had bought it for his wife who passed away and with her health problems I don't think she used it very much. Mine quit and I just started using that one. They are built well, but not being a lot of plastic makes them super heavy. I had one many years ago, so this was my second experience with one.

Carolyn, you can get good results with floor work. I used to make sure I added floor work to my lower body workouts and I would use ankle weights all of the time. It really did tighten up the thighs and add shape. I guess once I started wearing devices to see how many calories I was burning made me not want to do those workouts as much because I wanted to see the numbers up there. My husband told me the other day that he thought I was losing the fun of my workouts messing with the watch and I should just get rid of it.

Awake, and realizing I never got a chance to post the last couple of days. Tuesday I did Strong Body Stacked Sets Upper Body. I like how fast that one moves. I took Nick to work, and he had to be there at 9, so I was able to get my workout in by 7:30, and then I stayed and walked at the zoo from 9-10:45. When, I finished going through the African area, they post it as .8 miles, Derek was just getting to Africa to work in the gift shop, so I chatted briefly with him, and then went through again. Had over 11,000 steps by the time I left the zoo and ended up with 14,000 for the day. Yesterday, I did Lean Legs and Abs just modified a few moves. Derek and I went for a drive around the square 5 miles into town, a mile through, and back home by the other side, so he could get familiar with my car as he'll be driving it to work. Had really hoped that they'd be able to ride together, but even though they work a lot of the same days, their schedules don't match up at all. It's a 30-40 minute drive depending on how you go, and I don't want them driving I-94, so it's on the longer side.

Ugh vacuum cleaners. Back when we got married in '96 I convinced DH to get a Rainbow, which were really expensive. Guaranteed for 15 years and we've blown past that. It no longer latches together, but it still works and he's still hung up on how much it costs and I'm not buying one myself, so that's what we have. No carpet upstairs, just area rugs, no carpet on the stairs, just in the basement.

Lots of great workouts happening! I actually prefer mat work to standing leg work with legs. I'll take barre, mat, stability ball leg work any day over standing with weights. Though that also just may be a result of having had knee issues since I was in high school.

Diane Sue, I do think the gadgets can interfere with enjoyment of things at times. For me lately it's more my cronometer app than my Fitbit - that one I have the love/hate relationship on the sleep part. I've been weighing and logging my food since mid-May and if I have a day where I get messed up doing that and then I can't fill in my fitness planner fully that night, I hate it. And I'd love to stop logging food, but when I don't then I find I get off track. All the gadgets can be helpful in some ways, but can also be a pain in others.

No workout today, as I'm shopping.

I guess vacuums are a source of bad feelings for everyone. Id still be using the Royal but the company didn't have a fix for the power head. the main part must be 45 yo, but cant do big surfaces with a crevice tool. I use it in the garage cars, camper.

I want a calorie burn. occasionally I do matt/ barre but I don't like them... which is why I always get sore. I like superset workouts best. I'm going to focus on X train series. always liked burn sets. I watched Hard strikes while on the treadmill. wont be as intense without weighted gloves but what I watched wasn't complicated at all. I don't have a bag either. I've done Stacked Upper so many times! I want some heavier weights, and Burn sets goes fast enough to keep me happy. I haven't done it lately, and cant believe cathy uses 20lbs! not happening here. I used 12's and 10's. next time I might go to 15. I easily did the burn sets with high numbers so need to go up in weight, plus no soreness today. 20 seems like a bridge too far.

Im logging food the last 5 months. Cathy, it made me aware of foods stopping me from losing. the WW app/ free food is easily do-able but a specific program. I like wine, cheese crackers/bread. gotta limit those things! I can have them but less often and less quantity. dont have to give them up. I have a watch timer to record activity length but that's as far as I go. dont care about # of steps or heart rate. guess Im not a "stats" person.

diane sue my mother was a sad person who was always comparing herself to others. she let things slide and took it out on her daughters. My sister was the one who had to "dust". mother made "dusting" into WWII as she did vacuuming. our brother was given a free pass to everything. he never had to do anything and had privileges at 8 yo that I didn't have at 16. it made me tough. it made him a jerk. many times childrens' teen years coincide with menopause years and OMG I would not do that again. folding fitted sheets is darn near impossible!

Last edited:

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.