Pentagenarians & Beyond : W/B 7/19

This morning I did X Train Burn Sets Chest, Back, and Shoulders. My time was 56 minutes with 233 calories burned. My average heart rate was 105 and maximum heart rate was 158. We all seem to be revisiting X Train. It’s such a great series.

Deb, nice work getting over 10,000 steps yesterday.

Valerie, great job with your treadmill workout and X Train Bis and Tris. I think that you will like Hard Strikes. You can get a good workout without the gloves. Congratulations on your WW success. Awareness and consistency are important tools. I don’t deprive myself, but I try to eat the food that I enjoy.

Judy, you are doing a nice job with your walking/running. The virtual races are a good idea. Good job with Pyramid Upper Body, Fit Tower Legs and Glutes, and Yin Yoga.

Diane Sue, good job with Party Rocking Step 2 and To the Max Step. Your husband might be right about the Fitbit taking away the fun from the workouts. Our gadgets can be a great motivation, but we can become obsessed with the data! I try to use the information, but I don’t get hung up on it.

Cathy, nice work with Strong Body Stacked Sets Upper and Lean Legs and Abs. You have found a good way to take advantage of your wait time at the zoo. Great job with those steps.

Hello to Lori and Christina.

thought we would hike today but it was drizzling so bagged it. so then thought tomorrow, but forecast is not good. so I did burns sets, chest, back, shoulders. kind of a light day but OK.

Workout today was Cathe To the Max slide and glide tabata and 30/20hiit with warm up and stretch, 34 minutes, heart rate 116/156, 147 calories, 2464 steps. I used the step with two risers for the hiit portion instead of 3 risers and I modified because there is a lot of jumping on and off the step. No jumping off the step for me. They do this with a 10 inch step!! I used to do that and can understand now why I hurt my knee. I followed this with Raw Weights #2, 42 minutes, 106 calories, heart rate 102/132, 558 steps. I finished with Lindsey Samper finishing the last 8 minutes of episode 11 that I did yesterday( I think I said 8,but it was 11) then doing the chair stretch, and a couple of other stretches, 25 minutes, 28 calories, 63 steps. TOTAL TIME 1 hour and 41 minutes, 281 calories, 3,085 steps.
Weights 45 seconds work
legs
squats 12# dumbbells 2 sets
plie squats 12# dumbbells 2 sets
deadlifts hips back/ squat up 12# dbs 2 sets
Upper Body/abs
bench press 12# dumbbells 2 sets
explosive reverse flys 12# dumbbells 2 sets
pullover 12# dumbbells 2 sets
seated supination curls 12# dumbbells 2 sets
palms out (W curls) 10# dumbbells 2 sets
sit ups to overhead press (I skipped the overhead press) 10# dumbbells 2 sets
lean back seated hammer curls 1 set 10 # dumbbells
Russian twist seated on bench 10# dumbbells 1 set
Legs
Front lunge alternating 12# dumbbells 2 sets
reverse lunge alternating 12# dumbbells 2 sets
side lunges alternating 12 # dumbbell 2 sets
Upper body
tate press 8# dumbbells 2 sets
bentover lateral raises 8# dumbbells 2 sets
seated overhead press to triceps extensions (for some reason it hurt the front of my shoulders going overhead from front so I just did triceps extensions overhead 1 set and lying 1 set)
Abs on floor side to side crunch; right center left center crunch; crunch with reverse crunch; reverse crunch holds; leg raise knees in legs out

Cathe, that would be nice being able to walk around the zoo and get all of those steps in and getting in your weight workouts. It is a shame your boys do not have close hours. That is quite a drive to work. I log my food mainly to keep track of my the nutrients. I am not trying to lose weight, but I want to make sure I am keeping things heart healthy and watching what affects my rheumatoid arthritis. But, when I workout I like to see numbers that look like I did something. Today was another one that made me annoyed with the watch. The hiit should have been way more than it was even though I lowered my step height. Total calories I probably could have burned just doing household things for that length of time. I check my sleep patterns every morning as I wear my Fitbit to bed. I liked the Fitbit premium better for that, but I am not paying 9.99 a month just to get a bit more on my sleep patterns. I can put the info together somewhat by myself by looking at the green graph that should drop way low on the heart rate when I am getting deep sleep. It should look like a hammock. That description from Fitbit.
I have my wifi scale, Fitbit, and My Fitness Pal linked to each other, so my weight goes to My Fitness Pal and Fitbit steps and calories go to My Fitness Pal. I do tend to obsess with things like that.
Wow, your Rainbow vacuum has lasted a long time. I have tile, wood, and carpet which means different attachments and settings. Kirby requires a lot of changes which I dread. I fill out my agenda book with all of that info too.

Valerie, I guess it is hard to find a vacuum that works perfectly for everything and easy to use. I still pull out my battery hoover one for picking up dog hair and dust as a quick run through on hard floors. The batter only lasts about 10 minutes now, so you have to be quick. The brush roll quit turning a long time ago and I tried a new belt and to loosen it to roll and it is just stuck that way. So light and easy to use though. I have had it for 8 years now. I just cannot run over a rug with it as any dog hair and lint on it comes off on the rug since the brushes do not turn. Also I have to flip it over and pull the hair off periodically. The new Shark does not get dog hair and human hair stuck on the roller which is great. It has some rubber like things that scrapes it off and keeps it from sticking on the brushes. At least so far it is working great. I think I may want to get the short hose attachment for when I clean the car though. I am thinking using just the main part with a crevice tool or the rug/dusting tool may not fit under the seats well. I have to see though as I haven't tried yet.
I always liked Burn Sets better than the other X Train weights. One of those she does the first set of biceps with 20's and then goes to 25's. I never did get more than a couple of reps with the 25's. I was able to use them when STS came out, but I quit lifting that heavy. I don't think I will ever lift that heavy again. Might pull something that doesn't need injured. You could just do shadow boxing instead of the heavy bag.
My mother wanted everything spic and span clean. Dusting was another issue as she collected antique glassware, ceramic birds, and butterflies and all kinds of knick knack things. Sorry she let your brother get away without doing anything. My brother and I used to have to split up the kitchen cleaning after dinner. One would do the dishes and the other clean the floor. The floor had to be swept and mopped after every meal. I guess it was my youngest brother that I do not remember having to do much. Somehow he seemed to always be outside somewhere. He was the baby. I think he did yard work when he got older. My mother was good hearted and loved us all. She just had some hang ups with things and when I first got married I tried to keep my house and everything like her. It was a long time before I realized I did not have to scrub the house top to bottom every single day.

Carolyn, the one thing that seems weird to me is that it seems everytime I do a Walk Strong walking workout I get a decent amount of steps and calories and I don't feel I am working very hard. I think it is just the way the watch picks up on your stuff. I read that it combines basil metabolic rate that you burn calories at rest to maintain body functions and your activity level to "estimate" your calories burned. Gosh, if it does my resting heart rate, that is not much to go on. Sometimes when I am in deep sleep my heart rate is 55 or even less. Resting awake is around 60. Once in awhile 59. It drops so fast if I slow down. I think that is good, just not so motivating when I look at what I got when I am done. I do think I may try something else when I am ready to change watches though. I like some of the features on the Versa 2 though. Yes, these devices can be motivating. I like seeing my steps. Although I keep missing out on 10,000 lately. I have kind of cut back on some of the cardio so I have time to get in the yoga and stretching. Plus I would like to add a bit of muscle weight.

must have been a generational thing.. my mother was into knick knacks too. it was something the next generation disliked IMO. whole sets of fancy dishes and glassware that hardly ever got used, and didn't go in the dishwasher! I don't know what the intent behind the unequal treatment was. my grandmother lived with us. she ( my mother) never became an adult. my parents could barely exchange a civil word. terrible awful relationships. constant yelling and screaming. and silence. my father often did not speak to my mother for 6 or 8 months at a time. he would get pissed off about something at christmas time and not speak to anyone until sometime in summer. this rotation happened constantly. and everyone put up with this like it was normal.

I think of cleaning and cooking items like workbench tools.... you can't do everything with a plain flat blade screwdriver, multiple tools are needed to get the job done. I like cooking but dont like cleaning so I try to be efficient and do what's necessary without being crazy.

yes I'm going back to the X train series. I never did Hard Strikes much, guess I thought I needed heavy gloves. the weighted gloves I have ( velcro) come off in 30 seconds. I know I did Burn sets, and the other upper body weights ones regularly. I am a little sore today, nothing significant considering I haven't used 20's and 25's for a long time. Im surprised using 5, to 12 lb weights has been enough to not lose strength. I dont like to go too heavy standing, like overhead presses, but lying on a weight bench I can be more aggressive with weight.

Last edited:
Today I did KCM’s Cardio Core as a substitute for Cathe’s Cardio Core Circuit. That was 27 minutes and 186 calories burned. My average heart rate was 126 and maximum heart rate was 159. When I do CCC I modify most of the cardio to avoid jumping, but I didn’t want to bother with that today.

Valerie, it’s too bad that the rain interfered with your hike. X Train Chest, Back, and Shoulders is a good workout. I have some soreness in my back and chest from doing it yesterday. I use 20# and 25# dumbbells for one arm rows, chest presses, and sometimes deadlifts. I am careful with overhead presses because of my shoulder so I use 10# or 12#, but nothing heavier.

Diane Sue, nice job with To the Max Slide and Glide Tabata, Rae Weights #2, and Lindsey Samper stretch. One hour and 41 minutes is quite a workout!

Hello to Deb, Judy, Cathy, Lori, and Christina.

Today I did Jessica Smith Walk Strong 4 mile Power Walk, 72 minutes, 355 calories, 3.4 miles (guess because I am not tall? as I always add extra steps and follow the more intense lady), 7,408 steps. I felt I needed to do something that did not have impact after yesterday. I have to get out to the store soon. I have 10,460 steps so far today. Last night I had a record sleep. I slept 8 hr and 19 minutes. I had to take a double take at my watch this morning. I have been lucky to have much more than 5 lately. I did purchase Wildcrafter decaf calm coffee and had some last night, but that was the third night in a row and the others were typical 5 hrs.

Valerie, living with a family like that sounds miserable. My mother in law had loads of knick knacks as well. She collected all of those tiny characters. She gave a shelf and all of it's contents to my daughter when she was 10. So we had to take care of it till one time there was a sibling fight in the bedroom and the shelf toppled :D I am always trying to get rid of things because dusting all of that stuff is areal nuisance. We have a lot of pictures though. I paint and my husband has collections and then there is family pictures. I have attained quite a few kitchen tools that make kitchen prep so much better.
It really depends on the move whether I prefer trying heavy standing or on the bench. It is always good to change the workout styles once in awhile so you don't adapt to them.

Carolyn, nice work. I am trying to think which workout of Kelly's is Cardio Core. Is that the title? I have to be in the mood for Cardio Core Circuit. It seems I always did the shorter premix most of the time. It is a calorie burner though.

Yesterday I ran-walked 4 miles and today I did 5 miles. I'm gradually increasing my running time. I'm up to 30 minutes running before I start walking. I was going to do a Live Burn Set workout today but the weather was so nice I had to get outside. I will get back to weights tomorrow.

Valerie-XTrain is a great series, one of my favorites. Nice job with Burn Sets!

Carolyn-Thanks! The virtual races are keeping me motivated to run more.
KCM Cardio Core was a good substitute for Cardio Core Circuit. Great job!

Diane Sue-Nice job with Jessica's Power Walk and To The Max. That's great that you got over 8 hours sleep! Mine has been going in the opposite direction lately. I think Kelly's Cardio Core is from Build & Burn. I agree about having to be in the mood for CCC.

Hi to Deb, Lori, Cathy & Christina!

Judy, thanks on the Cardio Core. You are right, I just couldn't place it for some reason. I do use it quite a bit. Nice work on building up more time running.

Yesterday I did Rock'm Sock'm Kickbox, and I did Step Sync with the ab stacker abs this morning. When I first got that workout I could barely get through the Intermediate premix, then I did premixes with 2 combos and now I can do it all the way through, and that was at the beginning of the year.

Carolyn great job on the workouts! When they first came out, I really liked Cardio Core Circuit, now the thought of it intimidates me. I know it's all mental, after all if I can do IMAX 4, I should be able to do that one, too, right? LOL

Valerie send the rain our way. We could really use some and all we have is a chance on Tuesday for the next week. Enjoy the XTrain Series it's a good one.

Diane Sue, I am totally green with envy over your 8+ hours of sleep. I checked and the last time I hit 8 hours was June 7. :( Ugh on knick knacks. People my age all over the country are trying to figure out what to do with all the stuff their parents accumulated. My Mom the bulk of hers in one cabinet, but there are some others sitting around.

Judy fantastic that you have increased the time you can run!

Hi to everyone I missed.:)

This morning I did Burn Sets Bis and Tris for 38 minutes and 110 calories burned. My average heart rate was 99 and maximum heart rate was 155. I went to the outdoor farmer’s market this market for the first time in months. There were too many people without face masks for me to linger long. I did get the few items that I wanted. I went to Sprouts and The Fresh Market after since they are all in the same area. I wasn't thinking about the political climate of the neighborhood when I decided to go to the market, but a big anti-face mask area. The stores both require face masks, so that wasn’t a problem.

Diane Sue, great job with JS Walk Strong 4 mile walk. Congratulations on getting 8+ hours of sleep. Yes, Cardio Core is part of the Build and Burn series. Cathe’s Cardio Core Circuit does require the right mindset before I want to do it.

Judy, you are doing a great job with increasing your running time. Nice work!

Cathy, mastering Step Sync definitely gives a sense of accomplishment. I started with the intermediate premix then the first two combos and worked up from there. It’s a fun workout with a learning curve.

Hello to Deb, Valerie, Lori, and Christina.

Last edited:
We finally hiked this morning, 4 hours. it was an extremely obscure trail, steep and very primitive. there were ropes to assist up some steep sections. going up is harder but not as risky as going down where your feet can slide, so I used the ropes on the way back. Rain is totally departed here, and will be hot next week. 90+ for us is HOT. we are such wimps!
I'm glad I got away from my family when I did. I had contact but I walked away from the toxicity and did thing differently. that also left all the knick knacks behind! Hummels? is that the little figures? my mother loved those. my neighbor loves them too, but she is our age. we gave her several someone gave us. they are expensive but not anything I want. We have lots of pictures of our hiking destinations, mountains etc. so I have my "collectibles", just not knick knacks. My brother took over our mothers house ( he had the will re written) and everything in it so I would not have gotten anything from it anyway.

so silly..... people are refusing to get on board with masks and distancing. they are required most places here and still our numbers have gone up.

I totally missed the Cardio core Circuit workouts. never noticed them. I will do the kickboxing from x train next day I work out at home. tomorrow we plan to ride as well as monday. ttuesday is appt day for me so likely no workout time.

judy great you've increased your run time so quickly!. I did a mile on our treadmill a few days ago. I haven't run in forever but it felt OK so I'll try to do it more regularly. my problem is finding something to watch while running. 57 channels etc....

Question to all... have any of you had luck with kale salads? I've tried before and am trying again but so far not a good experience. I have a bumper crop of kale. salads sound like they are popular and I usually love salads but not this so far.

Last edited:
Valerie, there is a massaged kale salad recipe from Eating Well magazine that is good. You can google it and it will come up. Food Network has a similar recipe with sliced mango added. You massage the kale with lemon juice and olive oil which softens it up. That was the first kale salad that I really liked.

Today I ran 30 minutes and did Burn Sets Biceps & Triceps with Core 1.

Diane Sue-Thank you! It's funny but my Fitbit gave me a sleep score of 81. I got almost 8 hours of sleep last night. It's been months since I had a good sleep score.

Carolyn- It looks like we both did Burn Sets Biceps & Triceps today! That is too bad about the farmer's market and the anti-maskers. I wouldn't want to stay there long either. The kale salad recipe looks good.

Valerie-Thank you! It's been several years since I ran regularly. It feels good to get out again.

Cathy-Great job with Step Sync! I really need to get back to step workouts. I'm still at Basic Step level and I need to try to move up to the next level.

Hi to Deb, Lori, and Christina.

Reactions: WD
I did Jessica Smith Build Strength and Balance workout #2 Poise and Grace with 3# dumbbells, 36 minutes, 119 calories, heart rate 105/136, 1,291 steps. No 8 hours sleep last night. I woke up at 3:30 and got up and when I got back in bed my husband was awake and decided to get up and go back to bed so from then on it was me trying to go to sleep. I think we both have a lot going on in our heads that doesn't shut down.

Cathe, that is great that you can do the entire workout now. I used to do all of those workouts like Cardio Core Circuit because they were on the rotation, or I wanted a big calorie burn. I don't think some of them I ever looked forward too. My husband and I have been clearing out things because we know out children will just have to dispose of them because they don't want them. A few things we asked, and no, they don't want it. I finally threw away my plates from all of the states collection and glass things that were my mothers. We emptied our attic and tossed everything. My husband had lots of stuff from his out of country years and he through it out. I threw out my baby book. My kids won't want it. I enjoyed looking at it when we cleaned up and then got rid of it. The cover was rotting and falling apart. Books, CDs, tons of stuff. It is amazing how much we collect and don't use or look at. My Dad and mother had lots of stuff as did my husbands. His Dad gave us two sheds and one was full of boxes of their stuff. My son inherited when he purchased the house from us and he finally disposed of that stuff.

Carolyn, nice work with Burn sets. We don't have a farmers market close by us that I know of. It is all outdoors? My husband mentioned going out to eat today like we have been doing. Usually we go mid afternoon between meal times. I didn't want to go out to eat today and deal with mask on to walk in and out of the restaurant. They have kept social distancing from the start. Just was not feeling it. I would rather stay home. As it is I had to go back out to Sprouts yesterday for raisin bran for my husband. I didn't know we were out and that is his breakfast when he comes in from work in the mornings. The salad sounds good except for the anchovie paste.

Valerie, I have a sister in law that has hummels an precious moments in glass cabinets. I think her daughter collects too. Those are very expensive and I know real collectors will pay well to complete their collections. But, I would not be one to hunt down or try to sell something like that. I remember that there was problems with your brother and the will. It wasn't right.
It seems most places here as far as I know are wearing masks and distancing. We had pizza delivered the other day and we had to give a designated place for them to leave it as it was no contact delivery. I have a small glass top picnic table by the gate so that was easy. I don't think their counting is very accurate though. I heard of several cases where people have went to get tested and they took their name and info and put them down as person number ... The person leaves and the next person is that name. Also I watched a news cast where a guy called them and he said he was called three different times checking on him and his covid virus when he never was tested for covid. He said someone from his work had covid. The news checked it out and the testers said they would have to check that out, but they did tell the method of numbers and people leaving because they get tired of standing there outside waiting for a couple of hours. Also I read where a guy was trying to get his mother's death as from alzheimers because she was dying from the alzheimers and they had moved her to hospice. She had not eaten in a long time she got covid and they listed it as their cause of death. They admitted even if someone goes in injured from an accident or terminal illness, if they test positive, they call it covid death. They should take better care of those that are terminal and hospitalized. They should not be catching covid in facilities like that.
Cardio Core Circuit is one of the STS Shock Cardio workouts. Most of those were pretty intense. I haven't even done the kickboxing ones in a long time. One kickboxing one had drill type work in between jumping over tubing laid out on the floor. I kind of dreaded that one.

Judy, I would think the Fit Bit was off, but the numbers matched times that I remembered looking at the clock and when I went to bed and got up. Odd though as I still sat down later and nodded off. Nice work today with the weights.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.