Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 7/15

fox2star

Cathlete
Good morning,

Agility class yesterday was fun but painful. I probably should not have done it.

Valerie, I think Handmaids may be on Prime. I forgot to double check last night. I need to write a note to myself. That documentary/show sounds very interesting. I will look that one up too. I would be upset if I was paying for Prime and was not able to get it. Have you called Amazon customer service? That's interesting that you can get better traffic reports on Twitter! I don't have a Twitter account, but it would be interesting to sign up and see what's out there. We will be going to Bellingham Wa. in August, (John's nephew's wedding). so it would be helpful. Edited to add: Reading your description of Handmaid's Tale, I may just skip it.

Carolyn, good that you got the workout in before you meeting. I forgot about The Crown. The last time I checked it was not free on Prime. I need to go check it again.

Diane Sue, that's great that everyone brings something to the family brunch. How often do you have these? I mostly use my desktop for any real computer work where I have to type. Even though I have a additional keyboard for the iPad, I still like typing on a regular keyboard. Comes from all those years at work with a desktop.

Hi to Judy & Lori,

Take care,

Deb I still prefer the desktop for serious searching or shopping. I tried iPad/ keyboard traveling. ended up using iPhone. smaller but easier to hang on to. I liked the iPad keyboard idea but it was harder in a car than the touchscreen.
I am pretty stupid about the tv. I am pretty sure Prime and Apple TV are not compatible. we were unable to get any device compatible with Prime to work at all. not a whiz at electronics, never got proficient with three remotes. DH runs the tv and I watch. I was fine with cable. when we switched to antenna I quit.

Bellingham is not far... do you know how long you will be here?
You need to know the area pretty well before the WSP twitter feed is useful. The WSDOT site has maps showing traffic and more general info and is better if you are just traveling thru. Twitter is very abbreviated and not useful unless you know hwy numbers, road intersections. Are you renting a car or using a shuttle?

we rode a short road ride this morning 15 miles. Our regular sunday ride is likely over for a while. road
maintenance. leaves loose gravel that is death to skinny tires. wanted to get in a little while temps were OK but was getting warm and busier by the time we finished. last night I did MM biceps and core 1.

You will love the Crown!. it is excellent. Handmaids is a completely different kind of story about a dystopian future where America is not a country like it is today. it is based on a 1985 novel. Chilling. but good! I didn't intend to discourage you. for example, I could not get thru a single episode of Dexter (UGH). it was very popular. that kind of violence was too upsetting to me. Handmaids is fine.

Last edited:
Today is my rest day. I didn’t do anything, but my husband did a Susan Tuttle yoga dvd for seniors. He actually did both of the 30 minutes workouts which shocked me! He likes this one better than any of the others that I have suggested for him.

I have only watched 2 episodes of The Crown but I have enjoyed them. It is very interesting. I usually watch television with a book in my hand because I prefer to read, but occasionally there is a program that will cause me to put the book down and pay attention. The Crown is one of them.

Hello to everyone and I hope you are having a wonderful day.

Good evening ladies,

Yesterday I ended up doing Linda Woolridge’s Drop Sets Inner and Outer Thighs. Wow! I am ranking this as one of the hardests legs workouts I have done. I closely matched the weights she uses as close as I could. She uses kilos so hard to get exact. I added in 2.5lb ankle weights and barely got thru the floor work it was so hard. She did not use ankle weights but I pushed thru. Was going to do a BBS bounce afterwards but no way. My legs were jello. I did a health bounce just to loosen up my legs a bit. I loved this workout even though it was so hard. It was about 50 mins and it moved along quickly. Today I decided I still needed to rest my legs that is how tough it was. I took GiGi for a 2.5 mile walk and we both went for a swim in the lake. She loved having me swim with her. At one point I held on to her and said ok let’s get out and I pointed toward the shore and she swam in with me holding onto her. I was very impressed!

Deb...what do you think is causing the pain? I think you mentioned Bursitis? Is there anything that can be down to help alleviate the pain. I feel for you. I think Handmaide’s first season is on Prime.

Valerie...I believe Apple Tv has added Amazon Video to their line up. Pretty sure I read that. I have Apple TV and will check next time I sign in. I never use it for Prime since my TV has the channel on its menu to easily access. We watched “A Quite Place” last night. Was pretty intense and gory at times.

Carolyn...good for your husband! That is great. Funny I have only watched 2 episodes of the crown too. I am enjoying it but need to be consistent.

Judy...have you done all the drops sets? I am looking forward to the others.

Diane Sue...I have to say ...the Raw workouts you are doing sound great. Nice she has Raw home style intervals.

Has anyone used Facebook Marketplace? My husband and I just bought 2 electric leather recliners for a total of $175. They are in awesome condition too. We looked at them today and will pick them up tomorrow in my company's van. We wanted a couple extra so when the kids come we are not fighting over the existing recliners we have! We are looking at a really nice square coffee table next weekend. You can find some great items cheap.

Lori I will check when DH gets on tonight. our problem was probably 2-3 yrs ago when we bought a Roku and an Chrome stick but ended up taking them back because they didn't work here at all. sorry, we tried so many things I forget why things didn't work but we are outside the metro area. the Apple worked right away but at that time I am sure Prime did not list it as compatible. that kind of thing can change in a heartbeat.

Hi Everyone.

It's been a crazy weekend with the remodeling. We've made a lot of progress on the flooring, but it's been a little more time consuming than we expected. Our sub floor is uneven in spots and it's making the installation challenging. We've almost finished the kitchen and dining room. I'll post photos when things look a little better.

Deb-I'm sorry your hip is still bothering you. I hope you get some relief this week.

Lori-I agree about the Drop Sets Inner and Outer Thighs being one of the hardest leg workouts. I haven't done them all. I've done the inner & outer thighs, chest & triceps. It is a very challenging set. I really should get it out again and do the rest of them.

Carolyn-That's great that your husband did a yoga dvd. One of these days I will get my husband to do one. I think it would be good for him. I also prefer reading over television, but I do like some things. I think I would like The Crown too.

Hi to Valerie & Diane Sue!

Judy

Good morning,

No workout yesterday. I know I should be doing something, even just upper body. Maybe I will try a short upper body KCM premix.

Valerie, I use Prime with my iPad, so it has to be compatible with anything Apple I would think? I have never used Apple TV so not sure how that works. We are renting a car and will be there 5 days. Staying at a resort type place in Bellingham. We will bring the Garmin, which should help somewhat with directions, but not traffic issues. I read up on Handmaids, and did not think it was for me. Not just the violence, but also the futuristic stuff.

Carolyn, that's great that your husband liked those yoga workouts. were they from a DVD or YouTube?

Lori, that workout does sound tough! And then you added ankle weights! I am impressed. :). So cute that you and Gigi swam together. I am sure she loved it. I am pretty sure it is bursitis. I have had it before, but never this bad. Supposedly anti-inflammatory meds like ibuprofen, icing and stretching. It seems like the stretches make it worse for me. Was A Quiet Place on Prime? Never heard of Facebook Marketplace...will check it out. Assume member just list used items? Are they local to your area, so they can be picked up? Kind of like Craig;s list?

Judy, that's great that you have made a lot of progress on the flooring. I know sub-floors can be a challenge. Most installers end up putting in a new sub=floor so that it is even and the installation of the new floor works easier.

Diane Sue, hope your brunch went well.

Take care,

This morning I did Turbo Barre but I skipped the floor work. My upper and lower body was trembling by then! My time was 63 minutes with 176 calories burned. Average heart rate was 101 and maximum heart rate was 152. The full workout is 75 minutes long.

Deb, I hope you are able to get in an upper body workout. The yoga dvd that my husband likes is Susan Tuttle’s Breath of Life Yoga 2 and she uses a chair for both seated and standing poses. I have only seen short clips of her workouts on YouTube.

Lori, I think that Linda Wooldridge’s workouts are harder than they seem at first. I have previewed Dropsets, but I haven’t tried it. Those recliners sound like a great find. I haven’t tried Facebook Marketplace.

Judy, it sounds like your remodeling is moving right along. I can’t wait to see the finished product. I think that my husband is finally starting to feel the benefits of yoga and stretching because he gets so stiff. He did a different stretching dvd on Friday and he was amazed at how much easier it was for him to get in and out of his Mustang the next day.

Hello to Valerie and Diane Sue.

I had a the appointment at the arthritis center this morning so no workout. I am thinking that I may do a weight workout after I have some lunch though, Yesterday we had a nice time with the family :)
The arthritis center was a nice facility. They said it is the fourth largest in the US. It has the pharmacy, their own labs, mri, bone density, x-ray etc.. He did an x-ray. He didn't have my bone density scan results from the other place. He would have liked to have had them done there. He wants to see if he likes how they did the first ones at the place that I went, so I go back in two weeks. He gave me some auto immune type of arthritis medicine to try in the mean time. He said my symptoms lean more to that and there is further tests that can be done to determine which type it is. I guess osteoarthritis hurts more when using the joints whereas mine that feels better with movement runs more along another type of arthritis. I am apprehensive about the meds though. We, will see how it goes. I refuse to take pain meds. He could see the inflammation in my hands. He also had x-rays done of my hands and knees.
My doctor just called and said to keep up the weights and strength training :)
I saw that KCM just filmed another raw workout that is a toning one and she uses 3# dumbbells and ankle weights for the whole workout.

Lori, that is great that Gigi followed the cue to get out of the water with you :) I have looked at the Marketplace on Facebook. My younger daughter and her family buy and sell on there. Thinking of the chairs made me think of the show Big Band Theory when they pulled in a used chair and it ended up having an animal living in it. It was pretty funny.

Carolyn, that is such a long barre workout. I have not done the entire workout very many times. I think my husband would laugh at me if I suggested that he do yoga :) It would probably do he some good.

Deb, I am sorry that you are still having to deal with the pain. Our family was getting together every Sunday for brunch. It has tapered off a bit when some of the members have had other obligations. My older daughter was dividing their Sunday's up between our family and her husband's family and now they have one Sunday they do something with their new son in law's family, so they are down to one Sunday.

Valerie, gravel is rough to ride on with a motorcycle too. Will you find another route so you can still ride? I think that Prime works with most things now. My daughter lives out where internet and phone service is terrible, but she is still able to get Prime with her roku out there. Even my blu-ray player and Sony tv have Amazon Prime on them. Sometimes calling out in her area is hard and texts may come way later than when sent. Business is moving closer and closer to her and she says she will be happy when they can finally get decent internet.

Judy, smoothing out the sub floor is a lot of work. I am sure that is the slowest part of getting the flooring down. It will be fun seeing it all done.

Deb the moves that I am sure triggered my bursitis were pizza press, hydrant type moves from a kneeling position. I was doing therapy exercises very similar to one of cathe's lower body workouts so I melded them together. I didn't realize I'd hurt something until we tried a hike and I could not do it. one side , right, only. I did not do stretching just left it alone and rode instead, an activity that didn't bother it. It went away over maybe 2-3 weeks. I probably took some NSAIDS because I usually would, but for a limited time. when you take a prescription one you can't take OTC ones too.

I belong to two private neighborhood groups on facebook, but have never bought anything. I was thinking about selling our home gym. they need approval to join so probably better than Craigs list.

my DH would like to do yoga too but I'm not good enough to teach him and the disk we have is so-so.

we mt biked this morning for 2 hours 6.7 miles. it is quite warm here now and we need to do it early or it is too hot.
Deb you should have local traffic on your phone. the www.WSDOT.com site has a traffic map that gives active information on big wrecks and where the congestion is. traffic cameras don't help much IMO. road repair issues become important in summer here. there are 6 weeks in a row where part of I-5 in downtown Seattle will be closed over the weekend. depending on when you get in, it might be an irritating drive. is it Semi-ahmoo?
you need to be aware of express lanes that reverse direction, southbound in the morning, northbound after 11. Traffic is mostly awful here. wish I could be more upbeat. once you are north of Marysville, it is usually better. when you open the page you go to seattle area traffic. as you go north, you click on a box near the top of the screen and it will go to a new field further north. the Twitter feed I was talking about is probably too detailed and will frustrate you since it's local state patrol officers posting short messages. won't mean anything if you don't know where they're talking about. I've been amazed at how many big time accidents there are. it is very useful if you live here and know milepost numbers and hwy numbers.

I never asked dh about the prime access. forgot. our TV is not a smart TV, its a flat screen plasma that is pretty old now. it is a plain DVD, not blue ray.
diane sue, hope your screening comes out good. I agree on avoiding pain meds. people seem to get into trouble with them, to say the least.... except for very short term use like after a surgery.
both of the farm country road rides we do in summer will be blocked by road surface work. chip sealing. process leaves a lot of loose gravel on the road surface especially on the sides toward the shoulders. we will skip riding in those areas until it gets pounded in by traffic. too dangerous and unstable, plus passing cars throw rocks.

Judy home repair projects always take longer! one of those rules of home ownership.

Last edited:
I just finished a workout. Surprised I was able to force myself upstairs when it is 83 degrees up there right now. I did Coffey Fit Raw Weights Circuit #1, 34 minutes, (28 actual) , 105 average, 141 max, 140 calories, 801 steps. I followed it with Coffey Fit Raw Upper Finisher 16 minutes, (13:55 actual) , 93 calories, heart rate average 101, max 136, 256 steps. Total time 50 minutes, 233 calories.
Weights Circuit #1 (5 rounds) timed) kelly uses 12.5 dbs, 7# dbs, 25#DB, 35# barbells also a bench
Rnd #1
flys 12.5# dbs
skull crusher 12.5# dbs
pledges 12.# dbs
overhead press alternating 12.5# dbs
alternating row from floor 25# DB
kickbacks 8# dbs
deadlifts 35# barbells
squat deadlift 35#
Rnd #2
same as round #1 except skips the overhead press and does lateral raise with 8# dbs
Rnd #3
bench press 12.5# dbs
tate press 12.5# dbs
double hammer curls 12.5# dbs
shoulder press 12.5# dbs
underhand row 35# barbell
kickstand deadlift 35# barbell
dead/squat 35# barbell
Round #4
bench press 12.5#dbs
tate press 12.5# dbs
alternating lateral raise from behind 8# dbs
alternating row from the floor 25# db
kickstand deadlift 35# barbell
squat 35# barbells
Rnd #5 (short)
flys 12.5 dbs
alternating row from floor 25# db

Coffey Fit Raw Upper Finisher (3 rounds done twice each) kelly uses 15's and 10's 30 second rounds
13:55 minutes

curls 15# dbs
lateral raise 10# dbs
dips off bench
repeat
hammer curls 15# dbs
upright rows 15# dbs
kickbacks 10# dbs
repeat
supination curls alternating 15# dbs
alternating front raise 10# dbs
overhead triceps extensions 15# db

Valerie, they do that gravel fill in on the country roads around here. I hate driving over it with my little car and hearing it smacking it. I couldn't imagine riding a bike on it. It isn't bad once the traffic has been on it for awhile. I hate when they fill the pot holes and I get all of that stuff all over my car. It never lasts. It is very costly though to totally redo a road.

Good morning,

No workout yesterday.

Carolyn, good job on Turbo Barre. That one is sure long even with skipping the floor work. That's great that your husband is getting the benefits from the stretching/yoga.

Diane Sue, the arthritis center sounds like it is a good place to go to find out what is happening. I never heard of an autoimmune type of arthritis, good to be able to get to the bottom of it. Yes, when families grow, things start to change and people have to share their time with other members.

Valerie, I am getting very down about my hip/pain. It's been a few weeks now and no improvement. I know I should be better with icing/heat. Thanks for the link to that site. I will put it on my phone. My TV hat I stream Cathe Live on is an HD TV, not a smart TV. Probably could not get Prime on it, which is why I use the iPad.

Hi to Judy & Lori,

Take care,

Deb, rheumatoid arthritis is an autoimmune arthritis. The body attcks itself. It took me awhile to realize that. Sjogrens is often accompanied by rheumatoid arthritis, lupus, or other autoimmune diseases. The doctor said there are 100 varieties of arthritis. I read th at it can take up to three years of tests and trying things to find exactly what it is.

Question, do you have to sign up for the Cathe on Demand package to use the Roku on demand app. I just want Cathe Live. I have the dvds.

Deb I'd suggest taking a look at the WSDOT site a few times to see how it works. I have state DOT sites for the states we often drive thru and in my experience, they don't work the same. similar but not the same. not many choices to go north from the SeaTac. if you use a DOT site where you live, maybe it will be the same.

You've been patient with bursitis. time to go see your primary care? make sure bursitis is actually what it is, and hopefully get some relief. my primary care is not that easy to get in to see on short notice. seems like it should be getting better by now.

Diane sue.. these are definitely country roads. chip sealing is cheaper than asphalt but messy. County does a section of the roads every summer. each year we look up what roads are getting done. sometimes we can detour but not this year. some roads where there is no alternate for bicycles. drivers tend to avoid newly chip sealed roads and that makes alternates busier too. they are hazardous for motorcycles, and windshields too.
I think you are doing the right thing by getting a proper diagnosis. hopefully it will not take years to figure out.

Last edited:
This morning I did Afterburn, another LIS workout. I did Intervals 1-7 and 10 for a total of 45 minutes and 258 calories burned. Average heart rate was 120 and maximum heart rate was 151. I like the LIS, but most of the workouts are too long in my opinion. I’m glad that Cathe started making workouts that are more in the 45 minute range.

Deb, have you seen a doctor for your hip pain? It seems like it should be getting better after all this time.

Diane Sue, that’s great that you managed an afternoon workout yesterday. I know how hard that can be. As families grow our routines definitely change and it takes some adjustments for all of us.

Hi to Judy, Lori, and Valerie. Have a nice day everyone.

Today I did Coffey Fit Raw Just Step, 25 minutes, 175 calories, met 6.3, heart rate average 149, max 186, 2,195 steps. I then did Coffey Fit Raw Kickboxing and Contour, 42 minutes, 283 calories, met 6.1, 1,905 steps. Total time was 67 minutes, calories burned 358 calories. I signed up for Cathe Live again today. I had a few troubles getting it on the Roku, but they finally helped me out. :) It works great. There are a lot more workouts than when I last signed up for it.
I don't know how I managed to get such a high heart rate with that step workout today. I did feel a bit more energetic, but even so it did not seem quite right.

Valerie, I think my sister in law lived in Marysville at one time. They have a lot of family around Washington. I have been around the area. They spend a lot of time out in their Rv camping and fishing and hunting. I am hoping to get a diagnosis without having to take too many meds to get there. I already told him why some things I quite taking and also a refusal for steroid injections. The med he gave me is one used for malaria. I think it does something to the immune system. To keep the body from doing what it is doing to the bones. I am a bit worried about that. Wondering how this will play when it comes to getting my flu shot and pneumonia immunization. I can't take my calcium magnesium at the same time as it, I have to space it out. I ordered some Mercola Probiotics today and bought some gut shots made of beats, cabbage, and ginger. After reading warnings and side effects I thought maybe I needed it. Maybe I just need more immune boosters and no prescription. I am just not a fan of meds and how quickly they are given. I almost called and cancelled the appointment at the last minute.

Carolyn, nice workout and calorie burn. I like that I generally get a decent burn with that one. We are having to come up with something else for Christmas gift giving in the family this year. All but 3 children are adults now and working. And then with the addition, I think we are all just going to draw names and set a price limit on gift giving. That way no one is left out.

Good morning ladies!

Popping on to answer Diane Sue’s question. Roku has 2 channels for Cathe. Live and On Demand. So if you only subscribe to Live you can stream just the Live. Please note it takes a bit of time for the most recent Live to be posted. It can take up to a couple weeks sometimes longer. I’ll be checking in later today. Had our annual Golf outing yesterday so I was up early and home late. I do not golf, I help set up the outing then pretty much socialize all day. It is always a lot of fun.

Good morning,

No workout yesterday. Babysitting my friends grandchildren today, while her SIL and daughter go to his MRI appointment this morning. This is to see if the cancer treatments he has been doing are working. A very stressful appointment. Praying that there is some improvement.

Diane Sue, I didn't realize there were that many types of arthritis! I hope they figure yours out soon. Glad you figured out how to sign up for Cathe Live and that it works with the Roku App. I use a Chromecast and just sign into Cathe Live, no app. I hope you got Lori's PDF and spreadsheet documents for the Live workouts. I could not do without them! :).

Valerie, I would think it should be better by now too, however I am not what you would call a "good patient".

Carolyn, I agree on the long workouts, and am happy that Cathe has started making shorter workouts. I have not seen a DR yet, probably should make an appointment.

Lori, It is nice that you get to do the outings, but of course, a lot of work to set them up!

Hi to Judy,

Take care,

Lori, thanks for the information. I need to go look for your updated live spreadsheet. I still have the one from before, I think close to 2 years ago and my notes. I really wanted to check out the fit tower workouts . I need some new cardio :) I guess if I really wantbto do a new workout posted and not wait I will have to use my laptop.

Deb,the arthritis center uses the follow my health program and it is nice because I can see all of my health info as it comes in. Last night I got to see the doctors notes on my x-rays and a couple of types of arthritis listed as ones it could be and on the results. I also like that the doctor I am using for primary care calls me herself and tells me results and asks if I have questions. Most of the time in the past it has been someone else in the office and I am pretty much clueless anout lab results other than they are okay .
Praying for your friends family.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.