Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 7/12

This morning I did Cardio Party for 39 minutes and 285 calories burned. My average heart rate was 128 and maximum heart rate was 143.

Diane Sue, that’s great that the repair man was able to fix your a/c and you didn’t have to replace it. That’s a big expense.

Judy, I’m glad that you are feeling better.

Valerie, I haven’t seen baked tortilla chips. If I buy them I get the Garden of Eatin Blue Corn chips and just count them out. Like Diane Sue, I will bake my own if I have leftover corn tortillas.

Hello to Deb, Cathy, Lori, and Christina.

Good morning. we did a road ride this morning, 2 hours, 22 miles. a pretty morning and a nice, low traffic ride. some cars but everyone was polite and didn't pass too close.

Carolyn, Tostitos makes baked scoops. cup shaped chips for salsa. Tostitos makes a regular chip in the same shape. I like the baked better, more for fewer points. I don't care about the shape, but I prefer baked chips. they aren't greasy. I've used them for a long time, way before WW. they're good if you can find them but right now is not a good time. If the drought continues, I'll try making my own.

diane sue, xylitol and erythritol are (I believe) called sugar alcohols. I dont know the chemistry of it but I think they cause diarrhea in a lot of people. I think toxic to pets. I remember reading about people eating too much sugar free candy or gum and getting into bathroom problems. I dont think any no cal sweeteners taste right. I used a little lately in cheesecake and sugar free pudding. I dont drink any soda or use sweetener inn my coffee so my use is pretty low.

This morning I only had a short amount of time before I eye surgeon follow up appointment. He sure is a lot more thorough with exams and stuff than the ophthalmologist I had. Every time I go in I get an eye check. When I go back for the field vision next month they said they will dilate my eyes. They did not do that at the arthritis center when they did one. Glad to know ahead of time as I will try and get my husband to go with me. I did Cathe Fit Split Low Impact Cardio Premix, 27 minutes, heart rate 123/150, 132 calories, 2,126 steps. I have had so much problem with allergies lately. I almost called and cancelled at the last minute. I took a Claritin before bed. Coughed all night and kept drinking water and getting up to use the bathroom. When I got up this morning I used Flonase and this time full dose as I usually use half, and some elderberry cough stuff. I still ended up at the office lifting my face mask to drink water and shoveling down a whole bunch of cough drops till I got out of there an hour later. I was the only patient in the waiting room and then they put me in one room and the assistant did some tests and left me to clean a room for me. Then I sat in there a long time waiting on the eye doctor. They did the temperature check and stuff. I have had my temperature taken so many times lately. Always 98. No problem there at least. Decided not to go to the grocery store today. I came home, had something to eat and sat down in my recliner and fell asleep. Now I feel like a zombie. Hopefully tomorrow is better. These short nights are killing my energy. Looking over home insurance for appliances and air and heating. Not sure if it is a good idea or not so good. Maybe American Home Shield. I don't know. You don't have your own contractor choice most of the time and they may give you used parts or replace with something a different size. Amounts given are per what they would expect to pay if they give you cash instead. Just the thought of some security.

Gertie was so funny last night. I got this new corded stick vacuum for upstairs and I was cleaning and looked and there she is standing at the top of the stairs checking it out. She runs to the other side of the room when I get out the Kirby and if the sun room is open she will wait in there. I guess she wanted to see what that new thing was.

Carolyn, nice work on Cardio Party today. I thought about it, but needed something short and when I started I thought I would skip the gliding disc part, but changed my mind and did all of the cardio. Still had time to get ready to go to my appointment:) I keep corn tortillas around all of the time as my grandchildren love tacos. I also like to toast them and use them on mexican taco soup. My favorite are the Food For Life ones. Although kind of expensive for the entire family group. I am making enchiladas for Sunday. I just have to get out to the store. They are easier to put together the day before and get in the oven when I get home from church. I think that most people would have problems with the sugar alcohols. Had I have known I would not have bought my mil sugar free chocolates when she was still alive. She was diabetic and did insulin. I thought at the time I was doing a good thing for her.

Valerie, I had a bad experience with a bag of Brachs sugar free candy once. I munched on them when we went to Dallas for a mini vacation and we were getting ready to go out and I had so much cramping and misery. It was awful. Even sugar free mints and stuff will do it to me if I eat more than a couple. This has been getting worse for me lately and the last two nights I just resorted to water for the dry mouth. I got Ludens licorice cough drops that have sugar in them, but cannot eat those at night and not brush the sugar out of my teeth. Not good when I have the dry mouth issue. That is what I used at the doctors office. I feel better already cutting out the sugar alcohols. I had some lady I was talking to at Sprouts one day mention the Lillies sugar free chocolate chips and candy bars. I bought those once and I just could not eat them. They had sugar alcohols in them. I just stick with extra dark chocolate if I want some. I am not huge on sweet stuff anyway. I can't remember what the sugar free Hersheys chocolate chips sweetener was. In the cheese cake I only used a little and it was not a problem.
I love tortilla chips and salsa. I wonder if they have baked ones here. I remember buy some that had no salt before. I don't need the salt. I hate sitting chips on a paper towel and looking at t he grease spot it leaves.

Hello,

No workout today.

Carolyn, good job on Lower Body Circuit and Cardio Party!

Diane Sue, Hope you have a better night tonight. Good that you got your air fixed! I read a lot of negative things about diet sweeteners too. Scary that Xylitol is in so many things. It is also poisonous for dogs. I didn't even think about a septic system running on power! I was worried about our sump pump, but it has a backup. What type of corded stick vacuum did you get? I am always looking for an easier way to vacuum, something quick and easy.

Judy, glad you are feeling better. Have you taken the leave from HD?

Valerie, I have seen Baked Lays here all over. Strange that you cannot find them anywhere.

Hi to Lori, Cathy & Christina,

Take care,

Deb, I did not know that about xylitol and dogs recently until I got some KAL magnesium taurate powder for heart and a reviewer posted that they liked these products, but be careful you do not spill any on the floor as it has xylitol in it and is toxic to dogs. It has that as a stevia blend in it I think. I have been getting way to much of that stuff. I was using Calm at night before I went to bed for some magnesium. I am glad that I found that out, just in case. We had a electric powered box on the side of the house that had to be serviced periodically and had a light that would go off on top if the septic system was having a problem. .
Here is the vacuum my husband got me. I had picked a cheaper one and he got this one :)

I've seen baked Lays potato chips, regular and barbecue, and other kinds of snack chips, but I'm looking for a plain corn chip that is baked. dont care what shape it is. the only ones I found were the
Tostitos scoops. I couldn't find any in 2 months now. they are lightly salted and non greasy...if you can find them! I have plain corn tortillas so I may have to make my own.

Diane sue I got a shark vacuum too. its a little bigger since its for the whole house and the car too. we looked at amazon but shipping took too long, so we bought the model Costco had.
they had 2 shark models so we got the better one. it will maybe (??) hold up better.
so far its been good. clear directions, all snapped together nicely and worked much better than the Kenmore wed been using. the kenmore kept flipping the breaker switch so it had some electrical issue and good luck getting service these days.

Popping in briefly as I'm using my hotspot on my phone. At 3:27 this morning, based on my Fitbit sleep time, our power went on and off about 10 times and died. Still out and it's rainy so even walking outside is not happening right now. My husband just left to buy himself a coffee so he doesn't get a bad headache in a couple hours. His boss wants him to find things off line to do this morning and go into the office this afternoon to do a call in meeting.

The boys can just keep sleeping, as there isn't much to do. I was supposed to be shopping, but don't want to bring home more things to sit in the fridge and freezer with no power.

Yesterday, I took Derek and a friend to the zoo he works at. She's only 16, he's 19 and they are just friends, but her Mom was not going to let them just go together. I wouldn't either. They met last year at our athletic leagues' leadership conference. Derek always acquires best friends from those events.

So no workout today...

Cathy bummer on the power out. we get that in winter. summers here are usually benign.
definitely skip anything that requires opening the fridge. when it happens for us weather is usually cold so its not as big a problem. FWIW I keep starbucks instant and cold brew around. DH will also get a headache. he cant have a lot of caffeine but no caffeine is just as bad. he doesn't like cold coffee but beats a migraine. I love cold coffee so I'm always happy. "no power" sure has a way of rearranging your day. now that we are home, my garage fridge seems to be working just fine. didn't freeze anything it shouldn't. thinking I should take a look to see who has garage level refrigerators. it isnt critical. used mostly for beverages.

our septic is gravity powered. we have a pressurizer on the water system that is electric.

No workout for me today. I had shopping and errands this morning and it took longer than I expected. Of course, I wouldn’t have worked out after returning anyway :). I do find that things that I once enjoyed are more stressful for me. Maybe I will do a short yoga practice later.

Cathy, I’m sorry about the power outage. I’m like your husband in needing that morning coffee. I bought a French press coffee maker after our last prolonged power outage. We have a gas cooktop and I can boil water as needed.

Valerie, I like the looks of that vacuum cleaner. I still want to get a new one, but can’t decide which one. I ordered a Miele vacuum from Costco in February but returned it. It would not power on after I put it together which turns out to be a common problem with the model that I bought. Apparently it’s very finicky and the handle doesn’t always snap in just right. That was just before my daughter’s diagnosis and our trip to be with her and I haven’t looked at them since then.

Hello to Diane Sue, Deb, Judy, Lori, and Christina.

Carolyn, DH was pleased with the vacuum. he does the vacuuming there. he has cursed the Kenmore one from the first day but at least it worked. suddenly this last visit, it stopped running and tripped the breaker. he can see a wire in the handle broke but so far he hasn't tried to fix it. the shark has several attachments and works well on carpet and hard floors and swaps back and forth easily. no bags. too long to get a delivery from amazon there, so we decided to get whatever costco had in stock. surprisingly few places sell vacuums!. there were two Shark vacuums, one for $159, and this one for $259. I read reviews. this one sounded best. they had a dyson with less great reviews. we have a small house, this one fit the need well. only used it once but it went together nicely, works well. I had a Miele and hated it. it was pricey, and always needed fixing.

Workout today was Coffey Fit Raw Your Moves #1, 49(43)minutes because I had texts and also made notes on what I had already written down ahead of time last night. I then did Jessica Smith Gentle Yoga Total Body, 21 minutes, 81/100 heart rate, 21 calories, 23 steps. Total time 70 minutes, 184 calories, 2,151 steps.
Coffey Fit Raw Your Moves #1 43:48 minutes, 8 and 15# dumbbells used Timed at 50 seconds per move
Warm up
boxing: jabs / curtsy touch down/ then both moves combined/fast jabs rest
repeat
Heavy (15#) deadlift flamingo
skaters then skaters two back two front
repeat
light weights (8#) hammer curl press/ front curl arnold press
boxing front punch/ elbow strikes/ upper cut
repeat
squats heavy (15#)
squat thrust side to side step
repeat
boxing right cross/ side bend/insole
heavy (15# db) cross row right
repeat boxing and cross row left
repeat
Floor
heavy ( 15# dbs) pullover/ fly/ lateral raise (8# dbs) repeat ( I used 12# dbs) alternating pullover/fly / and lateral raise alternating
light (8# dbs)skull crusher/ double deadbug (8#dbs)
skull crusher8# dbs/ crunch knee ins no weight
stretch

I went to Walmart Market to get things for Sunday dinner and other items. They were pretty lean on stuff. Empty spaces all over the place and workers running around filling orders. At first I was worried I would not be able to get what I needed. I picked up paper towels, but the paper goods area was pretty empty :rolleyes: They were announcing over their system that it is now required that all customers wear masks. I felt so sorry for the lady at the register. They have only two registers open other than self check out which I never use. Both her and the lady at the other register were trying to get off of work. She told me to go ahead and come, I put up the closed sign for her,and tried to be as fast as possible getting everything up there and bags put in my cart along with arranging large items in the cart so she could scan the bar codes. Unfortunately for her I had a lot of stuff. This left no registers with someone to check out and the poor guy behind me was obviously upset with what to do and was probably in his 80's and had to walk with a cane. I wished I could help. She was scrambling and so worried. She said she had to clock out on time or she was in trouble. (in trouble for handling the customers??) I remember years ago a lady that had worked there a long time and she said Walmart does not like anyone to get overtime. This happened to my mother in law years ago when she was in the jewelry department. Walmart was really short staffed and this is the second time I have been in there that I was not able to go to the courtesy counter to try to return black nail polish. It is the gel polish and I thought that I had picked up the clear top coat that was in a black bottle in the past, but they have apparently changed to a silver bottle. I may be stuck with an 7.00 bottle of black nail polish that I will never ever use. Besides I think I may hunt for another grocery store. Maybe go back to Crest or Homeland. Although they are not so great for the nonfood items. Lousy service at Walmart. Maybe they are losing help or something.

Valerie, I looked along the chips aisle for baked chips of any kind and there were none. I usually get chips for my husband and put a few in a baggie for his lunch and once in awhile pick up backed potato chips. He only likes Fritos when it comes to corn chips though. Also he does not like me to send cheetos or barbecue as he eats lunch at work while on the computer and they are messy. Offered alternatives like some nuts or crackers, but he wants the chips. That looks like a nice vacuum too. I have not had a Shark Vacuum before. Just the steam mop which I still have, but never use anymore. I had originally bought it for another house that had ceramic tile kitchen, dining, and living room and baths. A lot of floor and grout to work on cleaning, Then the house after had brick and tile other than wood upstairs and main living room. Here, tile is smaller areas and I just mop it sometimes on my hands and knees. I saw that there are extra attachments I could get for mine. I think the hose I could get would make it a bit easier to use for the car. This one only came with the two accessory tools. A crevice tool and a dusting tool that can have the brush part snap off for use. I used it for dusting around the house last night. Much more convenient than dragging the Kirby around.

Yesterday I did a 5+ mile training walk-run and today I did XTrain Burn Sets, Upper Body Premix.

I'm doing the "Virtual Bix" this year:

This was a race I did every year when I lived in the Quad Cities. It's not the same as being there but it motivated me to get out and get some miles in. I plan on doing the 7 miles (will be mostly walking) before July 25th, possibly tomorrow depending on how I feel.

Deb-I plan on setting up my leave this week. It really feels like the right thing to do at this point. I probably should have just stayed on leave in the first place.

Carolyn-I try to avoid sugar alcohols too.

Diane Sue-I'm sorry about your allergies :( Mine have been bothering me too. I like your vacuum!

Valerie-Nice ride! Chris and I still haven't gotten out on our bikes yet, but we will soon. All the area bike stores are pretty much sold out and there is a wait time on getting bikes fixed too. With the gyms being closed since March, people started buying bikes like crazy.

Cathy-I'm sorry about the power outage. I hope you've got it back now.

Hi to Lori & Christina!

This morning I did RWH Upper Body Circuit for 49 minutes and 312 calories burned. Average heart rate was 125 and maximum heart rate was 156.

Diane Sue, nice job with Coffeyfit Raw Your Moves and JS Gentle Yoga Total Body. The Raw Your Moves sounds interesting.

Judy, great job with the 5+ mile walk/run and X Train Burn Sets Upper Body. I don’t think that I have done that premix. The virtual race is a great idea.

Hello to everyone and have a great day. It’s really hot here!

Today I did Coffey Fit Raw 888, 43 minutes, 202 calories, heart rate 126/156, 1,779 steps. This is 8 rounds of 8 moves and used 10# dumbbells for some of the moves and a med ball (optional) I used 8# ball no hitting the floor from upstairs. I also did Raw Cardio Tone stopping at the toning, 19 minutes, 117 calories, heart rate 142/164, 2,014 steps. I finished with Lindsey Samper yoga doing the chair stretches and adding some of the moves from the other segments, 23 minutes, 22 calories, 20 steps. Total time was 85 minutes, 341 calories, 3,813 steps.

Carolyn, nice work on RWH upper body circuit. Good calorie burn on it. Kelly asked the ladies on the facebook check in group that she is part administrator of what were their favorite moves. She has plans for a couple of more of them on her Raw channel.

Judy, nice that they are having the virtual run/walk. Good luck with it. That cool that you did it before. I never have done anything like that. My daughters and daughter in law have done events before around here. I wonder how many people will stay active after this all lets up. Allergies are miserable.

Hi,

Today I did LIVE Burn Sets Chest, Back, and Shoulders. 46 minutes, 255 calories. Wow another great LIVE Burn Sets workout!

Diane Sue, how do you like the vacuum? I read some of the reviews and some say that it is really heavy and awkward to handle. I will repeat the same questions I asked Valerie: I would like something lighter that what we have ( a Simplicity upright), but most do not do well on heavy carpeting. Also would like something lighter to do the stairs, which are carpeted, and difficult to manage that heavy upright from the top down, to each step. I find that 90% of the time, there is a negative experience at Walmart. I only go there if I am desperate for something. We have not been there since the beginning of all this, and I hope to not have to go ever.

Valerie, that one looks interesting too. We have heavy area rugs, lots of hardwood floors, and tile. I would like something lighter that what we have ( a Simplicity upright), but most do not do well on heavy carpeting. Also would like something lighter to do the stairs, which are carpeted, and difficult to manage that heavy upright from the top down, to each step.

Cathy, I feel your pain! I hope the power was not out too long.

Carolyn, very smart on the use of a French press for coffee during a power outage! We have one too, but I didn't even think of it. We had already had coffee, the power went out at 9:30 am, and as the day went on, it got to over 90 degrees, so coffee was not something we wanted at that time. Nice job on Ripped Upper Body Circuit!

Judy, nice job on that run!!

Hi to Lori & Christina,

Take care,

I did Stacked upper body yesterday.

diane sue I have not seen any baked corn chips anyplace. It isnt a product I'd order from amazon .
I looked carefully in both stores I use regularly, and plenty of "organic" non GMO things but no baked. so i bought some corn tortillas and will try making my own. I've done this before but tis easier to open a bag, and the commercial ones stay fresh longer.

Judy I heard that about bikes being sold out a couple months ago. DH and I have 6 bikes between us. We use all of them regularly all year so we have all bases covered. pleasant outdoor exercise and distancing is a natural part of it.

ETA deb we posted at the same time. the vacuum worked nicely on plush carpeting, area rugs, hardwood. we don't have stairs. it's light and very maneuverable .... I think would be easy. FWIW I have carpeted stairs at this house and find its WAY easier to vacuum going up the stairs than down. I use a canister so I keep the unit on one level and work up the flight half way, get the main unit to the landing and then continue up. its a Kenmore canister. with our more recent Kenmore canister experience , I would not buy another.
DH was REALLY REALLY happy with the new vacuum. I will be happy because of the tools to do edges and drawers and the car interior. it has great suction. we have a small very shaggy ( like 4 inch long ) throw rug in a bedroom. it didnt work too well on that.

Last edited:
Hi Everyone,

Today I did 7 miles outside. I walked most of it, but managed to run about 3/4 of a mile. I'm going to try it again next week and see if I can run more of it. I ordered some new running shoes from Zappos too.
I called HD today and told the manager that I needed to go back on Covid leave. She put me in for 2 weeks and said we could reassess the Covid situation at that time.

Deb-Great job with the Live Burn Sets! I have those in my rotation for next week. Those 3 Live Burn Sets workouts would make a good strength rotation on their own.

Carolyn-Thanks! I'm really feeling the burn sets premix today! Great job with RWH Upper Body Circuit!

Valerie-That's great that you have 6 bikes! I agree, it's a perfect outdoor exercise. I wish we lived in a better area for biking so we could do it more often. The traffic here is crazy but we can do a nice ride through the neighborhoods and be safe. The trails are a longer drive away and they are packed now so we probably won't be doing that until the Covid situation is better. Nice job with Stacked Upper Body!

Diane Sue-Great job with 888! I think I did that one, and it's really a good one if I remember right.
I really miss all the running events I used to do when I lived in Iowa. It's ironic but I lived in an area with much less people and I spent almost all my time doing things in groups and with others. Between the gym and running, I never worked out alone. Now I live in such a heavily populated area and I do almost all of my exercise and training alone.

Hi to Lori, Cathy & Christina!

Finally back. Yesterday was a busy day. The power came back about 10:30 on Thursday, so I ended up going shopping about 3 hours later than I normally would. Stores were more than twice as busy, and there were definitely more empty shelves this week. I was able to get everything I need, if you don't count wipes, as the boys need more to take with them.

Yesterday, I had to have Nick to the zoo by 9, Derek didn't go till noon, and I met a friend to walk. Because I stayed after she left for an appointment and went all the way back up to Africa, through it and back, I got a ton of steps yesterday, 17,939 for 6.6 miles, and 3 hour 45 minutes fat burn while there and burned more calories for the day than I can ever remember doing.

Boys signed up last night to go to NMU August 14 at the 4:50 time slot. Freshman only had two different times available and either one was going to mean a hotel stay. Not thrilled about that, but no way around it, as we need both cars to haul all their stuff. So, they took the later slot and I'm staying that night in Marquette. It's the most populous county in the UP (a whole 67,000 people) with 102 total cases so far. Fingers crossed no problems come from it and I'll be masked and taking precautions the whole time. The county I live in and nearby ones I go to have had more.

Did Rev'd Up Rumble when I got home. I get a good calorie burn with that one.

Judy that's great that you are doing all the walking and building up to running. What type of area do you walk in?

Valerie are your bikes all different like road, mountain and hybrid or are some of them the same?

Kudos to everyone on their workouts!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.