Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 7/07/2024

Finally got our power back this afternoon. I think we had at least 8 different restoration times as they kept pushing it back. This morning my husband ended up going into the office to work, I went to the zoo to walk so I'd get some exercise. While I could do some stuff here with weights, the window in the basement faces west so until afternoon it's really not very light down here. Derek went off to a different zoo. Late yesterday afternoon DH decided to go to Lansing for a bit, and I started rearranging my things in the basement. Now I have a way bigger more open area to workout in. I had enough space before, but this will be way better. Especially for workouts with a lot of equipment. I couldn't shop today, because of not having power, so I'm going tomorrow, but hoping to be up early enough to get a short workout in. My parents are doing better, and now that it's all over my Dad has gone back into denial that they need to move. Wish I was surprised. My brother was pretty blatant with him a couple weeks ago as he has had to deal with his in-laws and knows what happens when you wait until there's a crisis. My sister told Dad today that Rod wasn't wrong with what he said, and Dad said he doesn't want to end up on medicaid and is so locked in to what his parents experience was that he doesn't see that they have options if they start looking now. My sister gave up and just told him that when something happens and social services tells us where to put you that's what we'll do.

Judy great job with the Peloton workouts.

Valerie great job with the mountain bike ride. It's sounds like you have a really nice neighborhood.

Carolyn great job with ICE Chiseled Upper Body.

Diane Sue it sounds like you a great time with your family over the weekend. My Dad has a huge sweet tooth, so did his father. He's super careful with everything else he eats ever since his open heart surgery, but he loves his sweets. He's a huge Peeps fan, marshmallows, Twinkies etc. He never eats a lot at once, but has some every day. Glad you liked Gloved Up and Sweaty.

Cathy that is what I've done with my sister. You can lead a horse to water, and all that.... she will get whatever the social service people at the time can set up for her. they can figure out how to sell her house and move her to assisted living and everything else. she is on medicaid and has been for 20 years at least so I dont think choices will be fabulous. but thats the pattern. ...they are somewhat agreeable when the shit has hit the fan, but as soon as situation settle down and improves, they go back to their previous position and wont make a change. Hope it works out ok for them. and dont think bad decisions related to age are limited to your parents, as we see this play out on a much larger stage.

Last edited:
Got up early enough to do Live Metabolic Med Ball Blast this morning. A fun, shorter workout. Alternates cardio blasts with the ball with weighted compound exercises. My eating has been all over this week, and definitely not as healthy as normal. Power outages are not a plus there. Shopping took extra long today, so lunch was what was easy when I got home. Hopefully, back on track starting with supper. My BIL is flying in tonight or tomorrow? And he'll be staying in a hotel, masking at the house and doing some things for my parents. Switching beds around, that kind of thing. Then he'll take the car on to Canada and my sister will fly home Tuesday. She's going to need a peaceful recovery period when she gets home.

Today I did JS Stride and Step, 30 minutes, 185 calories, 125 average heart rate, and 161 maximum heart rate. Then I did Step Boss Extended Stretch for an additional 8 minutes.

Valerie, nice job with mountain biking for 1 hour 45 minutes.

Judy, great job with Rowing Bootcamp, Peloton Full Body Streng th, and Peloton ride.

Cathy, I’m glad that your power came back on. It’s great that you could rearrange your workout space while your husband was out. Your sister and BIL seem to be making good plans for your parents’ immediate needs.

Hello to Diane Sue.

This morning I did 30 Minute Kickbox Express and the Fierce and Breathless Core which was this weeks Live. That workout is no joke. Breathless definitely describes it well. Very much a cardio workout along with the core. Lots of moving plank work and other non lying exercises. Those are at the end of the workout. We are headed into a week of temps over 80 and more rain coming in a couple days which we really don't need as we are already over saturated.

Carolyn great job with JS Stride and Step and SB Extended Stretch.

This is my rest day. I had my investment club meeting this morning. Afterwards I had to go to the grocery store to pick up a few items, but it wasn’t bad for a Saturday morning.

Cathy, great job with 30 Minute Kickboxing Express and Live Fierce and Breathless Core. I wonder if Fierce and Breathless Core is a sample of what to expect from the new workout series.

Hello to Judy, Valerie, and Diane Sue.

I didnt do anything yesterday. shopping and DH getting a stage in a dental implant getting done. geez that looks like an awful process but hes doing fine.

this morning I did a mountain bike around the neighborhood for 40 minutes before it warms up. its going to be mid 80's, so not awful but not comfortable either. our neighbors (whose garden we're watering) are at Glacier NP and are coming back a day or two early because its too hot and no sign of improvement. they are more heat tolerant but its been pretty rough in the mid 90's. I last two years were less intense but this year it's hot and a lot of drifting smoke from various wildfires. getting used to the idea that summer and smoke will go together most years.

cathy I hope thats not what the new series is like. I'm hoping it's more like intermediate workouts. I will still need to modify some things. cathy, we sure could use some of that rain. its typical to be dry here in july and august but hopefully we get a break in this stretch of sunny weather, even if its just a marine cloud layer for a few days. so far we dont have any fires or smoke but its just a matter of time. also wind direction can blow california or canadian smoke this way.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.