Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 6/26/2022

Today I did CDorner Crazy Fun Dance, Kickboxing, & Stretch Mash up. This was another one that did 15 minutes for each section plus a short warm up and cooldown. I liked it a lot and time went by quick. Total time was 51 minutes, 3,742 steps, heart rate 107/146, 174 calories.

Today I did a 30 minute Peloton ride after work. I work tomorrow then will be off for a week. Chris is taking the week off too. No special plans, we'll be staying home and hopefully get some running and biking in if the weather cooperates.

Carolyn-Great job with Cardio Quick Fix and the Extended Chair Stretch.

Valerie-That is annoying with shoes. It's so hard to find ones that work and when you do, they usually get changed or discontinued. I've never tried the superfeet inserts.

Diane Sue-Great job with the CDorner workouts. I agree, aging joints are no fun. I'm being very careful with running and not going over 4 miles at a time. I know I will end up injuring myself if I push it too far or too hard. My right knee is bothering me a little so I'm going to wait until Saturday to run again.

Hi to Cathy

I need to go to bed but wanted to come back and read posts first. I have a Walmart grocery delivery early tomorrow. I do it on their non busy times and delivery is not much at all. My allergies are so bad, I do not want to go to the store and I forgot to add the onion to the order again:rolleyes: I try to add things after the order is put in and they always come back and say my payment used makes it not possible. Maybe because they put it on my bank account as pending with a max amount possible since things are not weighed yet or substitutions made.

Valerie, we took lots of day trips and packed up picnic lunches when I was growing up. My Dad was bad about filming and taking pictures of the scenery like Montezuma's Castle In Az (back when you could climb up into it part way), but none with us in them. I never paid attention till my husband pointed it out when we looked at pictures.

Carolyn, nice work with Cardio Quick Fix one. It sounds like you are doing better. I really like the chair stretch. I use Cathe's moves a lot from that when I get up in the mornings.

Judy, nice work on the Peloton ride. I am sure you will enjoy the off time with Chris. I use some Superfeet inserts in my shoes. I usually get on that is athletic. They work well for me. I buy my husband New Balance inserts for his shoes and work boots.
I am careful. I have days where I have no problem doing jacks and some jumping, but I know if I do it several days in a row, I get achy joints. Today I did some of the jacks and some of them I subbed the low jacks.

Last edited:
Ive been using Superfeet for 30 years at least. I use the simple blue ones usually. Ive accumulated quite a few over the years. I tried some more specialized ones but they dont seem that much different. they used to be $20. no more. shoes used to come with decent arch support inserts but now they're barely sock liners. superfeet last for many years especially if you have several for different shoes. I like them and they help keep my feet happy. I probably have at least a dozen of them some pretty old but they still work fine.
its not just inexpensive brands of shoes that change all the time, even the expensive ones can vary all over the map. I have at least 5 pair of the same hiking boot. some are old and are now garden boots but they range from 7 to 7.5 and regular width, narrow width and wide width and all fit the same. the toe box area seems to be subject to a lot of changes.

we did a gorgeous hike yesterday. probably 7 or 8 miles . got up to 9100 feet. the trail went further but that was enough, got to a great viewpoint and called it done. not a lot of wildlife but a great view spot. not too tired today so will do a short ride this morning. we will stay here through the holiday. so nice to avoid most of the obnoxious noise and explosions we get at our other house. if it was limited to professional displays, I'd be fine with that, but in WA its a war zone for a long time. we have some really obnoxious neighbors who buy illegal fireworks and shoot them off unexpectedly for weeks.

diane sue I visited montezumas castle a few years ago. it is impressive structure but they dont let anyone get anywhere close to it. really, you need a telephoto lens to get a decent picture! we've been to other less well known sites where you can walk through them and where everything isn't sealed behind glass. it's too bad but the general public cant be trusted not to destroy artifacts and ancient dwellings or grab pieces as souvenirs. the southwest is loaded with old buildings and rock art. its one of my favorite things to look at when we hike down there. if you hike a few miles you can usually get to things you can still walk through and view closely.

This morning I did KCM’s Power Splits Upper Body. That was 34 minutes and 171 calories burned. Average heart rate was 122 and maximum heart rate was 171. I did the Boxing Finishers from seated position.

Diane Sue, great job with CDORNER Crazy Fun Dance and Kickboxing. That does sound like a mashup. I’m doing much better, just trying to be careful not to cause a setback. The chair stretch is a nice one.

Judy, that’s wonderful that you will be off for a week. I know that you will enjoy the break. Great job with the Peloton ride.

Valerie, your hike sounds amazing. I can’t imagine doing anything like that since I have such a fear of heights. I really admire your outdoor activities.

Hello to Cathy.

I did Compound Core Intensive Conditioning this morning. Uses 5-12 lb weights for the first section and she warns up front there's a lot of shoulder work. No kidding! I did go a level lower than she did on a few things. For some weird reason my shoulders are opposite my biceps when it comes to single arm exercises. I can use the same weights, but my right shoulder is clearly stronger, while my left bicep is stronger. There were a number of single arm moves in this one. After that you go to the floor for the last section. Not an easy workout, though it's effective and I expect to feel that tomorrow. At least I don't have upper body for a couple days as I have cardio and legs coming up.

Valerie a scorpion in a sleeping bad would flat out have given my Mom a heart attack. Some of my strongest memories are of her and mice and I'm thinking scorpions would be on a much higher level. One time I accidentally let the cat in the house carrying a dead mouse and she locked herself in the bathroom. Pretty sure the locking was unnecessary. LOL Then one summer we had a small garden way back on my Grandpa's farm. Really not sure why that was. But there were quite a few potatoes. We drove back there and my Dad shoved the spade under the plant and out comes mice! My Mom flew to the truck, high stepping all the way. The rest of us were dying laughing (clearly no sympathy from us.) Have you ever done winter camping? I have a friend that did rustic camping (no other kind at the time of year) in the upper peninsula, in the winter with a fair amount of snow on the ground and it is just not something I would even consider.

Carolyn great job doing Cardio Quick Fix this morning! I'm sure it felt good to get it in.

Judy that's a very nice workout combo you put together. I love sunshine, but I'm not sorry its cloudy right now as it's more comfortable with the higher temps. Looks like the rain is going to stay south of us.

Diane Sue nice job with the upper body and step workouts. A lot of Cathe's workouts use shoulders even when it's not the focus of the workout. I am not a fan of flying even when I was doing it once or twice a year. My sister and her husband fly a ton for their jobs and think nothing of it. And now flights get cancelled so easily and often last minute making it a logistical nightmare. Already have Nick's reservation for Christmas and hopefully that his flights are enough days from the holidays that they are less likely to get messed up. Then really hoping that come next May when he graduates he ends up somewhere within a drivable distance or at least not two very long days of driving. I enjoy camping, but I do prefer places that have showers and real bathrooms.

Did our short ride this morning about 5-6 miles close to our house. it's the area where the guy got killed by the grizzly this spring. it's a closed road, needs repairing after winter. road repair people have higher priorities. its a very nice ride, rough for cars, along a creek. not flat, a lot of up and down, lots of flowers. surrounded by mountains.

cathy we've done a lot of winter camping. for vehicles we've had several types. all vehicles need caution since water freezes. can't camp without water. our current camper is weather resistant but if water froze it would damage things. plastic piping is vulnerable! camping in canada in winter at 1 am we heard the sink faucet snap and fall off into the sink. we thought we'd drained it completely, but not quite! that was a old pop up camper. even with our current camper, we dont carry water in the system if hard freezing overnight.
we have snow camped many times too. its common to ( backpack) camp in snowy areas in spring and early summer or later fall. to tent camp on snow you need to carry a lot of extra things. 4 season tent and layers of insulation for underneath. we have also backpack camped using a sled. you need to be close to the snowline to start to be able to slide the sled but not where your vehicle will get buried in too deep snow if weather changes. winter camping is tougher, is beautiful but you need extra things the long dark nights are hard. we dont do those harder things anymore but regular bACKpacking we still do sometimes. snow is manageable. snow covers landmarks too so to know where you are and where you are going . when flies and mosquitos are abundant are when I stay home. I never found anything that works at all and sitting all day zipped in a tent is no fun. makes snow seem minor.

Carolyn this is nothing bothersome for height. trails go through forests and climb up broad trails to a viewpoint. there are not steep edges or cliffy things to worry about unless you like to go to edges. . the tough part is hauling your butt up all that elevation and then back down again!. I'm squeamish on rooftops and 'exposed" areas, but this area is not that kind of thing at all. its about endurance not balancing on exposed points. you can find edges to walk to, but not a factor unless you want it to be.

Last edited:
Today is a rest day. I went to the Farmer’s Market early to avoid the crowds. I hadn’t been in a month and it was nice to get back there. I bought peaches, tomatoes, and various fresh greens. I have to keep myself from buying more than I can use, but everything looks so good. One of the vendors has several salad mixes already washed and chopped such as kale salads and slaw mixes. I have gotten them in the past and they are good. I make my own dressing although she has some made up. She makes a lot of vegetarian and vegan dishes that people often order in advance and pick up at the market.

Cathy, great job with Compound Core Intensive Conditioning. The name alone makes it sound like a challenge.

Valerie, thanks for the explanation. That makes it sound mor manageable to me.

Hello to Judy and Diane Sue. Have a wonderful day everyone.

Last night I did an hour of Yin Yoga and this morning I ran 5 miles, my longest run so far this year. I really had to push myself to keep going but the weather was so nice and I really want to get a run in this weekend. Chris and I did some shopping this afternoon.

Carolyn-Great job with KCM’s Power Splits Upper Body and the Boxing Finishers. It will be very nice to have a break from work.

Valerie-Great hike and bike ride! It's nice that you can stay there over the holiday. The fireworks have already started here and I'm not looking forward to tomorrow and Monday.

Cathy-Nice job with Compound Core Intensive Conditioning. That sounds challenging! It was very nice this morning, only 70 degrees when I ran, but it looks like it might get warmer this week. We are not big fans of flying now either and I kind of doubt we will ever do it again. We really don't need too, and the way things have been recently, I have no desire to even think about flying somewhere. We had a couple of people at work that had been out of town last week and are now stranded due to cancelled flights.

Diane Sue-I'm sorry about your allergies :( Mine can get really bad too. I'm taking Allegra and using Nasacort most days.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.