Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 6/21

fox2star

Cathlete
Good morning,

A nice day yesterday, with just a few sprinkles. I took the Saab out, even took Keegan to class with the top down. He loved it! Nose up in the air to get all the smells.

Valerie, sounds like you had a great ride.

Lots of stuff today, workout, gardening, HouseMax, etc etc...

Have a great rest of the weekend!

Take care,

Good morning!

Yesterday was Cathe Live Cardio Strength Blast in the morning. Did not do the stretch but followed up with Live Cardio Core Standing abs. I run thru the abs section twice then end with the stretch. I love ending a workout with this standing abs portion. Between this ab work and all the ab work in 21 days I'll have to say I am starting to actually enjoy core work. I have always hated it and usually would avoid or never give it my all.

My DH and I had a fun day. After our workouts we got ready for golf. Was a lot of fun and he said I was impressive for a rookie. :). The plan was to go to the Inn and enjoy the pool but it was cloudy so we opted to see Jurasic World which we both enjoyed. Was very long though. We then came home and got ready for an early dinner. We went to The Old Mill (my favorite local place) and of course I ate everything. My DH is always amazed at how much food I can consume when I want too! Lol!

DH is working today and DS is coming over for breakfast. Not sure what workout I will do. Need to workoff some calories. :). Other than this no plans for the day. Rainy here so may switch out some window treatments.

Valerie... Never really thought about food on your backpacking trips. Not sure I could eat dried food either. Cute that is how you and DH met. My shoulder has been significantly better since the last cortisone shot. Just flares up every now and then. It has been great the past week though. Been consistent with my stretches and this has helped. Been doing them after every workout in the evening. I think Josie left on Monday for her trip.

Deb...I can picture Keegan enjoying that ride! I bought a little carrier so I can take Nilla with my walks with Chester. I used to do this years ago but she never liked being in a carrier for a long period. Now that she is older she seems to enjoy it. I'll have to get my DH to take a picture of us and I'll post. Won't be today as it is pouring out right now.

Have a great day all!!!!

Hi all--

This morning I did about 60 minutes of Suzanne Bowen.

Deb, I think Josie is going to Greece. She went to Spain earlier. I watched the first episode of Catastrophe. I may watch more. Some of it was funny. True Detective is starting again on HBO with a new cast tonight. I hope it's as good as last year's. EW also gave a good review of a new show that follows it with Dwayne Johnson which I might take a look at.

Lori, my younger son played golf all weekend and when he wasn't playing, he was watching it on TV. He brought three friends over last night for a cookout, and this was AFTER DH and I returned from a big party--a pig roast--at one of our friends' farm. They do this every year and it's like half the town shows up. Crazy! But they had a good time.

Judy, thanks for reminding me this was the 4th season of Veep. Wow, the years are going by fast. In EW they had "best scenes" from TV shows, and the one where Anna Chlumsky walks out yelling at her being the worst President ever was #2. I just remember her saying that there would never be another woman President because of her.

Valerie, you do so many hikes and rides and garden work you must be in great shape.

Dawn, Wayward Pines will be back again this week. I guess it was the U.S. Open golf tournament that preempted it this past week.

We are having FIL and MIL over for a cookout. This will be his first outing in a long time. I hope it works out. Crossing my fingers.

Hi everyone -
Today was All Out Low Impact Hiit.
Yesterday, my sister and I had our annual birthday adventure. Our birthdays are a week apart, and we get together and do something during that week. We went to downtown Chicago and had a catered pizza lunch on the 99th floor of the Willis (Sears) Tower overlooking the city, then went up to the Skydeck on the 103rd floor and went out on the clear ledge. Then we walked to the Gold Coast Art Fair in Grant Park. We had perfect weather for our day! I finished it up with XTrain Legs when I got home.

Lori and Nilla.JPG

Here is Nilla all ready to go! Excuse the sunglasses indoors but they are prescription and I was ready to leave. I would have had Chester in the picture too but he was way to excited for his walk.

Hi Everyone,

Yesterday I did a segment of Stretch Max and Ab Hits. It was only 30 minutes total, so a very easy day.
This afternoon I did S&H Biceps & Triceps.

Today DH and I went to Toledo for breakfast then did some shopping there. It's about an hour from here and something different for a change.
It was DH's first Father's Day without his Dad and I think he wanted to get away and stay busy.

Lori-what a cute photo of you and Nilla!

Lynda-I agree, the years are going so fast! It still feels like Veep is a new show to me. I like Anna Chlumsky and I hope she is back next season.

Dawn-Happy Birthday! Your Birthday adventure sounds like fun!

Valerie-that is cool how you and your DH met.

Hi to Deb & Josie!

Judy

Good evening!

The weather turned out really nice today. Actually a lot better than anticipated. Very sunny, hot and humid. Yes that is exactly what I look like when I go for walks. I listen to books as I walk and love it. My DH bought me the Bose wireless headset and I love it but it took me a while to get used to. I had always used earbuds before not these large over the ear headsets. I do love having no wires. Before my walk I did Cathe Live Strong Upper Body minus the core work. (Just did core yesterday). This was the first time doing this workout and my arms were fried! Will do this one again! I kept it lighter than Cathe but still enough to work me. Then did my shoulder exercises and shoulder feels great.

Dawn...that is so nice that you and your sister celebrate your birthdays this way. I have only been to Chicago once and that was many years ago. Great job coming home and doing Xtrain legs!!!

Lynda...that sounds like some cookout! Funny your DS came that late with friends. Oh to be young. I would be ready for bed. My DH is the same way watching golf. He almost did not want to go out to eat and of course that was not happening. I had my heart set on corn fritters!!! Lol!! We did go for dinner and we sat in the lounge so he could watch golf. We did have fun so it ended up being a win win for both of us!

Deb...yes Josie went to Greece. Lucky girl!

Judy...if you are looking for a great upper workout try Live Strong Upper. Even Cathe needed to lower weights! I loved this workout and it flew by.

Hi to Valerie and the vacationing Josie!

Good morning & Happy Monday.

A nice weekend, we did some major gardening (major for us that is) yesterday. We are reducing our perennial bed by half, it's way too much to keep up with. This means pulling out plants and lots of weeding. We are going to replace it with just grass. Then I took John out for breakfast for Father's Day. He also got a cute Fox Terrier t-shirt ( one of those by McCarthy) from the dogs and Fritz.

Lori, love the pic of you and Nilla! So cute! Your energy amazes me!

Lynda, hope your cookout with MIL & FIL went well. How is he doing? I am on the fence about continuing with Catastrophe. It's pretty ....I don't know...like the language, I think they go overboard. I watched episode 4 last night. I was really getting into VEEP. I love how she keeps asking if the President called.

Dawn, what a great birthday tradition you have with your sister! You are pretty brave going out on that sky deck!

Judy, I understand how your DH may want to get away. It really tough, especially the first Father's day. Which one is Anna Chlumsky? Was she in season 1?

Hi to Valerie, & Josie,

I need to take Kylee to the vet today, all of a sudden she has this growth on her face, right under her eye. It seemed to "pop out" just noticed it Saturday night. Not sure what it is, so I want it checked out.

Take care,

Hi all--

This morning I did both low impact hiit workouts together (50:08).

Deb, Anna Chlumsky plays Amy--the personal assistant with the Blackberry attached to her arm at all times. Yes, she has been on the show from the beginning. Yeah, the language in Catastrophe does seem a bit extreme for a schoolteacher. Hope all is well with Kylee. The cookout went well and it was a nice outing for both MIL and FIL. DH grilled a couple extra filets and I did a second bag of little potatoes for them to bring home so they have a dinner later this week.

Dawn, Chicago is a great city. I went to grad school at the U. of Chicago, so I lived there for 4 years. Glad to hear your weather was good, because I heard this morning that it might be rather dicey today.

Lori, what a cute picture, and what a lucky little princess! Yes, we were about to go to bed when my son arrived. DH decided to watch more golf with them and had a couple of his sausages too. Wow--True Detective was a total mess last night. I will watch the episode again, but it really was a totally hard-to-follow and complicated hodge podge of characters and their troubles. The murder brings them all together at the end, but I'll be darned if I know how. If it doesn't get better, I think I will skip it this year.

Judy, what is Toledo like? How big is it? Nice that you could distract DH with an outing.

Hi to Valerie and Josie!

Hi Everyone,

This morning I did a 60 minute indoor training ride. I used a video I found on youtube. It was made by a cycling club in Australia and was a ride around Melbourne. It was a pretty good interval workout.

Lynda-Toledo is not as big as Detroit. I think the metro area population is around a half million and Toledo itself is around 300,000. The Toledo suburbs are very nice. We haven't done anything downtown Toledo yet. One big difference between Ohio and Michigan is the condition of the roads. Michigan roads are in horrible condition, potholes and ruts all over. As soon as you cross the state border into Ohio, it all changes and the roads, for the most part, are very smooth and well maintained.

We see all kinds of "doggie transport systems" on our trail rides. lots of walkers and bike riders have little dogs who can't keep up because of age, short legs, etc. some are so darn creative and cute. you think it's going to be an infant and it's a little dog tucked into a basket!

no formal workout today. garden day I think. we'll see how things go. we've had an unbelievable stretch of lovely weather with more to come. it rained a little the other day but not enough to do much more than get things damp. summers are generally pretty dry here which is the opposite of what most think of the PNW.

Lori food is a big issue! you work hard, you get hungry, and freeze dried dinners are pretty unpalatable IMO. we've used them a few times but not happily. they're simple, just add boiling water, wait a bit, eat. preparing your own meals takes a bit more effort and they tend to weigh more. in grizzly bear country they are the best choice since you don't want food smells in your clothes and camp area. just like tents, packs, clothes, food choices have gotten a lot better the last couple years. you want light weight, tasty, easy to prepare, non perishable. ramen noodles plus "add ins" are a common dinner basic. Nothing like you are eating at your favorite Old Mill restaurant , I assure you! lots of things like couscous, instant rice.

Last edited:
somehow I lost half my post. above was from yesterday and what I just added to it disappeared when I posted. hmmph.

Lori,, you and Nilla... just adorable! Deb, Hope your little girl has nothing but a minor cosmetic issue.

we just did a 26 mile ride... just lovely out a perfect temp.

the golf issue.. the masters was played not that far from here. I have no idea why the course looked like it was in the desert. our lawn looks like that but we don't water it. thought golf courses watered generously.?? maybe not.

so funny... Chicago was always a big fearful place.... parents made sure we seldom went anywhere near it and had me scared to go there. a bit of history... Wisconsin used to not allow margarine that was yellow... to protect the dairy industry. It came white, like lard, in a plastic bag with a small color tablet you had to massage to work the color into it. we used to drive to the state line and buy colored margarine by the case in Illinois! that was almost the only times we went anywhere near Chicago. I've passed thru it a few dozen times via O'Hare but never spent much time there.
Judy, I will take a look at the ride.

Last edited:
Good evening ladies!

Today was a rest day. I think it has been ages since I had a rest day or maybe it just seems that way. Since doing the 21 day at the office seems like I haven't had a complete non workout day. So tonight it is a relaxing night and came home to a nice glass of wine already poured for me. I have a good DH. :)

Deb...Hope Kylee is okay and it can be taking care of with antibiotics. Poor little guy.

Judy...that ride sounds like fun. I have seen them on YouTube but have never tried one.

Lynda...my Nilla is a little princess and she knows it. She gets whatever she wants! Awesome your DH stayingup with your son!

Valerie...I love that you and your DH bike and hike together. I think that is wonderful. Funny you should mention the grass. While watching golf this weekend I mentioned the grass to my DH.

Has anyone read "The Girl on the Train" or "Angela's Ashes"? Some one recommended them to me and they look like a good read.

Hi to Dawn and Josie!

http://www.wta.org/go-hiking/trip-reports/trip_report.2015-05-09.4146981403
This is a link to some pics someone else ( I don't know the person) took of the hike we're doing tomorrow. it really is a lovely spot. (My next computer will have a photo program!) it's a moderate hike but this year most of the snow is gone. we had such a light snow year.... it should look like these pictures probably thru July but not this year. Have not been able to do it in 10 years because the road access was washed out around 2003. just reopened late last year. Hoping for a lovely day tomorrow.

Good morning & Happy Tuesday.

It's raining and very humid...ugh...not a fun day for any outside work. Well, we need the rain I guess.
The vet was all booked yesterday, will be taking Kylee at 9:40 this morning.

Lynda, I like all the characters on VEEP, I never really watched Seinfeld when it was in its heyday, I may go back and see if the early seasons are on Prime. I started watched Fraser from the beginning, and am reminded of what a great show it was.

Judy, it's awesome that there are videos like that bike one on YouTube. I remember what the roads in Michigan are like from going to our office there. Also, lots of abandoned vehicles on the highway...for some reason. This was years ago though.

Valerie, Great pics of the hiking area! like Lori, I wasn't thinking about what kind of food you would have to carry on a back packing hike. How do you heat water for anything like Ramen? That info on the margarine is scary!

Lori, your DH sounds like a sweetie who knows when you need to relax! :). I read The Girl on the Train...it was hard to finish. I thought it dragged in the first half. Not as good as Gone Girl.

Here is a pic of the "K"'s relaxing...Keegan snuggled under the pillow, and Kylee came along and decided to join him. He didn't even blink or move. They are too funny sometimes. She loves her brother...

411421784.jpg

Hi to Dawn and the travelling (?) Josie,

Take care,

Hi Everyone,

We had an interesting night. There was a tornado warning until 3:00 am and several tornadoes touched down in SE Michigan. We could tell by following the weather radar and reports that things could get bad here so we stayed up, in the basement, from midnight to 2:45 am. We had Chino and Shadow in their pet carriers. We were lucky and the worst of the storm went around us.

http://www.wxyz.com/news/region/washtenaw-county/multiple-tornadoes-touch-down-across-Michigan

Deb-That is such a sweet picture of Keegan and Kylee! I hope Kylee's vet visit goes well. Keep us posted. I'm the same as you regarding Seinfeld-I never watched it when it was on. I've only watched it since I got married as DH is a big Seinfeld fan and has all of the seasons on DVDs.

Judy, that had to be scary!

Well, good news on the Kylee front....apparently it's a "tooth root abscess" . The vet drained it, looked at what came out, and checked out what we would consider molars. She will be on anti-biotics for a week, and then goes in to have the tooth removed. *sighs with relief*

Hi all--

This morning I did ba, rear delts, and bis from the new series (52:28).

Judy, I heard about the bad weather in the Midwest yesterday. It seems to be rumbling toward us, but not as bad in terms of the winds. I guess you could see the world on your stationary bike if there were videos like that everywhere.

Deb, it looks like Kylee has Keegan exactly where she wants him. I think I've seen all of the Seinfeld episodes at least 3 times. We have the dvds, but they are also on TV all the time. I have so many favorites from that series. That is good news on Kylee, but I would think an abscess must be painful for her.

Lori, I have read both of those books, and Angela's Ashes is definitely beautiful, a memoir. The Girl on the Train is a recent book and it takes awhile before you have any sympathy for the heroine. A day off for you will probably just recharge your boundless energy.

Valerie, that looks beautiful and I bet you see some wild life. DH and FIL and DS all agreed that the golf course was really strange, and not good for putting at all. I didn't watch much of it, but DH says the way it ended was really kind of sad/pathetic--something like snatching defeat from the jaws of victory for the guy who came in second but should have won the whole thing.

Hi to Dawn (I still say Chicago has the most gorgeous sky line and I love Lake Shore Drive).

Hi to Josie somewhere in debt-struggling Greece.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.