Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 6/2

FitGran

Cathlete
I didn’t see a thread for this week yet, so I thought l’d get us started. Today is a rest day for me with church services and usual Sunday activities. I hope everyone is doing okay. Enjoy your afternoon.

Today is my usual rest/stretch day. I pulled out Kelly's Boot Camp and did the warm up and bonus stretch, 22 minutes, 51 calories. I also did 5 minutes of the bonus core work from Fit Tower Advanced while waiting for my husband to finish his shower so I could take mine and not freeze or cook him out of the shower when I run water. After church my youngest daughter and her children came over to go swimming so I got some paddling around the pool in. We were going to do it tomorrow, but there is more chance of rain tomorrow so we will go to the library tomorrow.

Deb, I hope the trial went well. I just got on the computer this evening myself.

Carolyn, I hope you had a nice rest day :)

I was so tired today ....have not slept well for several nights. Did stacked upper today as did DH. So weird.... I tried for AGES to get him to look at these workouts, he never would. And suddenly he is loving it. He tried another yoga tape and didn’t like it at all so he needed something. I always bring a few disks along but sometimes I don’t use them much. This is a long visit for us and it isn’t possible to hike or ride every day. We will be here until next weekend I think.

Good morning,

No workout yesterday. I did not expect Kylee to do the runs, although I had thought she would maybe do one of the 2. It involves running 100 yards straight away, chasing a mechanical thing ( they use plastic bags) to see how fast they can run. She would not run at all...was very confused, even with John starting her on the line and me being at the end calling her. It's not in her nature to be in an open field and just out of the blue, run 100 yards away. I think if it was a live squirrel or something that she likes to chase, she may have done it. :) This is what it looks like from the "catcher's end" which is where I was standing, hoping to get her to chase it and me being there at the end, maybe to get her to run. She wouldn't go. Also pretty intimidating was that they did not have the snow fence that is shown in the video below...only stakes with twine. I don't think she even knew I was down there, even with me jumping around and screaming her name. They are judged by time.

Diane Sue, sounds like a nice rest day.

Valerie, good that your DH is liking something besides STS. He may like the Gym Styles as well.

Hi to Judy & Lori,

Take care,

Deb, he likes the whole process, the warm up, the main routine, ab workout, and stretch, so I showed him the premixes and how to pick one that has each step without interruption. I have not used G Styles in a long time and I don't remember if they had that kind of set up. we don't have any heavy weights here, only 5,8,10. its a little light for me but fine if I keep the speed up. I'm going to look back at some of the older disks and see if they have the same features. I'm embarrassed. I never did anything but the main workout and don't remember if there were premixes like recent series . we are usually doing plenty of hiking and riding so lower body is taken care of, and needs rest days. I know there was an upper body in the SS series but I think it used heavier weights than I have here and would be a waste of time with 10's. maybe ICE? kick boxing and metabolic ones work for me, but I can't get him to try those. ( who knows how men's minds work??) I never intended on buying a whole separate set of weights for here, just light ones. I am fine with grabbing a few disks to bring along, but not sets of heavier weights. then I have the step, and some tubing, bands, yoga mat, and a ball.

the snow fence looks like it would show a clear route for a doggie to stick with. practice practice!

This morning I did All Out Low Impact HiiT for 39 minutes and 288 calories burned. Average heart rate was 126 and maximum heart rate was 150. After that I did Jane Adams Evening Practice from her Gentle Yoga dvd. That was 29 minutes and an additional 51 calories burned. This was a nice total body stretch and she uses a chair for the downward dog and a hip stretch. I bought this dvd for my husband, but there are a few of the practices that I like for myself. She gives very clear directions and uses modifications that make yoga accessible for many people.

Valerie, that’s great that your husband likes the Stacked Sets Upper. Maybe he’ll decide that he wants get a few heavier weights.

Hello to everyone.

This morning I did Raw Kettlebell workout, 42 minutes, met 6.5,253 calories, heart rate average 119, max 151, 1,456 steps. I then did Kelly Coffey's dvd Split Sessions Upper body back, chest, biceps, and triceps (skipping the waistline and shoulders. This was 21 minutes, heart rate average 109, max 138, met 6.0,106 calories. This one I used 15# dbs throughout. Kelly does push and pull muscles together. I did not write on the work sheet.
Kettle Bell Raw

20 on 10 off tabata 4 rounds each move Kelly uses 20# and 30# kettle bells, but does drop to a 12# dumbbell for triceps after starting heavier. 42 minutes 4 sets of each exercise
basic swing 20# 4 rounds
scale dead lift 30# right, left right left
single swings 20# right, left, right left
squat upright row 30#
20# alternating swings 4 rounds
curls right, left, right ,left 20#
figure 8 's 20#
overhead triceps extensions 20# I stayed with this all 4 rounds. Kelly picks up a 12# dumbbell and finishes off with kickbacks
double swings 30# 2 rnds then 20# 2 rnd
1 arm row 30# right, left, right ,left
reverse lunge pass through alternating 20#
plank holds holding horns of kettlebell ( I used a medicine ball as it is easier on my wrists)

we trie to ride two places this morning but neither worked out. so did groceries and some low key stuff. I did Body weight and bands later today. my handle band is WAY too hard to use for some of the moves. I used it for a few things but had to go to the Thera bands because I could hardly stretch it at all.

I had my daughter and grandchildren here today. When they left I went to the grocery store and came back to get a couple of things done before my husband got home. The next two days I have my 8 year old grandson here:)

Deb, that is interesting how they do that. I can imagine it would be a bit confusing. I am sure once she figures it out she will love the fun of it.

Valerie, there are premixes on Gym Styles. I remember making worksheets for the timesaver workouts. I believe one is done in an upper body made into a superset. It always required that I have the remote handy though as they kind of jumped right into the next move not allowing much time to get the weights and things. I liked the premixes though. I have the B-lines tubing from Beach Body that you can change the handles to different strengths of tubing. I use the one they say is equivalent to 15# most of the time. That one worked for me with that workout. Cathe's heavy and the other two b-lines are heavier and hard to pull overhead or try to use doubled. My daughter got me them off of Amazon for a birthday present one time.

Carolyn, that is nice that your husband uses the yoga workout. I doubt mine would ever use one. Nice work today.

This morning I did Cardio Leg Blast for 54 minutes and 367 calories burned. My average heart rate was 129 and maximum heart rate was 163. I was interrupted at 40 minutes, but I managed to get back and finish the workout. Cardio Leg Blast is one of my favorites. I preordered the new Step Boss set yesterday.

Waving hello to everyone.

This morning I did Kelly Coffey Thirty Minutes to Fitness Kickboxing, 54 minutes, average heart rate 135, max 160, 341 calories. I forgot how much I like this one. No weights involved. I did wear weighted gloves though. I then did the bonus core/abs from the same dvd, 14 minutes, heart rate average 116, max 149, 302 steps, 53 calories. She does some boxing mixed with abs standing for this one then to the floor. I used 1.5 lb weighted gloves. I finished off with Cathe Lite extended stretch #1, 13 minutes, 35 calories, 29 steps. I forgot to start my Fit Bit at first so I do not have the steps for that one. Workout was 81 minutes, 429 calories, and steps till end of workout was 5,906.

Carolyn, nice work finishing the workout even though you were interrupted.

I will re look at gym styles when I get back to other house. I always liked gym styles. I have no idea why I never looked any further than the main workout except I didn’t want to be tempted by easier versions. I've done stacked upper a lot and don’t want to get sick of it. Need to rotate in some others. I will look for others that can be supersets. pretty fast pace and lighter weights. I'll bet High Reps has a upper body only premix.

we did a hike this morning , lovely out but got pretty warm. we did probably 4 miles RT, not a lot of elevation. our plan was to start at another trailhead, but when we got there, one of the Yellowstone groups had a whole load of people getting ready to backpack, parking was full and people everywhere. not good!. so we went to the other end of the tail and walked in that way, but it was much more open and exposed, the sun was killer intense. we saw another badger! didn't even need binoculars. he was running along the sagebrush edge, and prairie dogs were sounding the alarm and scooting all over. we had been watching a pronghorn that we thought looked ready to deliver babies, but she charged the badger. a few moments of excitement. so cool to watch animals interacting with each other instead of just running from people. also saw a bull moose, loads of elk, pronghorn, and bison. really trying to see the babies but not many so far. or else they are tucked away and mothers are not having them out in the open yet.

Last edited:
Good morning,

Spent most of the day at the dog club, then had to go back there last evening for some issues we are having with one of our obedience classes. It's always something.

Valerie, I think he will really like the GS workouts. What about the original Pyramids? Good premixes in that series as well. Especially the "hidden" total body one that I always forget is there. Yes, the snow fence helps keep them in the "shoot", but really not needed if you have a dog that is into doing this. I think looking back, if I would have taken a plastic bag or 2 and tied it to the toy we have ( it is a long stick with a string and tennis ball that we can twirl around in the yard for them to chase), she would have been more apt to chase the bag. She had no idea what she was supposed to do. I think Carolyn's suggestion on getting some heavier weights for the MT house is a good one. The premixes can be found on the section of the site where you purchase the DVD's. All are listed, and most have times etc. Seeing all those animals in their natural state is so great.

Diane Sue, what activities do you have planned for your grandson's visit? I didn't know that there were bands that could be adjusted for weight. Interesting.

Carolyn, that sounds like a great yoga dvd.

Hi to Judy & Lori,

Take care,

Deb I don't have the Pyramids one. GS I have for sure. I have ICE, SS, Xtrain, STS, and then miscellaneous disks we use the same snow fence for snow redirection as you are using to "channel" the dogs. we use green. we have to replace this year as the wind tears it up so we will use a metal fence behind it so when the snow fence flexes, it will go up against some open wire fencing and hopefully last better. it is really windy here which is why we need snow fence

we mt biked this morning. it was lovely. it was tough. not technical, but a lot of uphill on an ancient road overgrown with grass and flowers. it was only 3 miles but took > 2 hours to get up. it is harder going if you have no idea what is ahead. we picked this road because the one we had planned on using is not open for another week, and this left from the same general area. anyway, going uphill with no idea of what's up there is hard. You have no idea how long, or if its even worth it, or if the road will end in a little while. we saw deer and a few elk. someone occasionally uses the road to take cattle up to pasture, but hasn't happened yet. the flowers were amazing. balsamroot, shooting stars, wild iris, forget me not, larkspur, lupine, lungwort, millions of them. it was gorgeous. I thought it would be hard coming back down, because it was so uneven and hard to see thru the foot high weeds, but it was OK. took about half an hour to get down, stopping to rest the brakes every little bit. gorgeous view and so nice not umpty dozen people around. one day in the park makes me crazy! the drive there was on some AWFUL road. anyway 3 hours total. sunny and very warm today. we will head home this weekend.

Last edited:
Hi Everyone,

I'm getting caught up on reading posts this morning. The past week was crazy at work, but only a couple more weeks and I will either be done or down to less than 20 hours a week. Either way, I will have more time.
I'll be back later.

Have a great day!

Judy

Deb, here is a link to the B-Lines that Beach Body has. The only change is the purple is the 15# instead of pink. This is the lightest, black is 50# resistance. If you scroll down to the questions and answers the company gives the weight of each. When my daughter got me mine, it was just the the pink, magenta, and red colored ones in the set. I always kind of wanted the other 3 increments, but really wonder if I would use them very much. I migrate between the 15 and 20# ones. It still came with two handle sets. https://www.amazon.com/Line-Resista...ance+band+kit&qid=1559756756&s=gateway&sr=8-3

This morning I did some warm up stuff and stretches, then I did Kelly Coffey Cardio Pump workout #1 cardio, 30 minutes, met 8.0, 221 calories, heart rate average 143, max 167, 2,748 steps, followed by Coffey Fit Raw Hip Hop Weights , 42 minutes, heart rate 119 average, 157 max, met 6.5, 241 calories, 1,150 steps. I did a few extra stretches afterward. Not counting the extra stuff workout was 72 minutes, 462 calories, 3,898 steps.
RAW HIP HOP WEIGHTS
42 minutes Kelly uses 12# and 7# dumbbells I used 12# and 8# dumbbells for pretty much all. Each body part is done throughout a whole song
warm up is moves minus weight
planks/knee pull/down dog to plank/push up
plank to lunge/ biceps / knee pull / cobra
standing squat/ squat twist/ squat reach
shoulder rolls and head to right and left
ending with side to side steps
SHOULDERS light dumbbells I used 8#(should have went lighter)
side to side step upright row (quick paced/ front raise (this is 4 reps upright row and 4 reps front raise)
overhead press 8 reps
bent over lateral raise
3 rnds of this then add ends with 4th round reverse lunge 12 reps/ side to side upright row and front raise
BACK
heavier dumbbells 12#
squat pulls
double arm rows
alternating rows
2 rounds then add reverse lunge/ rows for two more sets with squat pulls
BICEPS 12# dbs
double and single arm curls alternating 4 times
supinating curls
side to side lunge 4 reps t hen add curls with the side to side lunges
I think this was 3 rounds but it may be 4 (I lose track when I am having to push myself to finish)
Legs 12# dbs
squats 12 reps (close stance)
front lunge/ angle lunge 8 reps
deadlift (suitcase)
side to side plie squats with pulses
4 rounds ?
TRICEPS 8# dbs
kick backs double arm 8 reps
kickbacks alternating 8 to 12 reps ??
overhead triceps extensions
3 rounds then add pull up arms from behind for 3 more rounds. I dropped to 5 pounds for this on the last round (this is sort of like the move Cathe does in Stacked sets with the pulling up the pants move, but so much of this that my neck and shoulders get fatigued)
CHEST
12# dbs (Ummm I dropped to 10# last round as I was feeling it a lot in my shoulders)
flys
bench press
modifies pull overs
4 rounds
finish off with push ups (this was tough after all of the rest was done)
Abs
crunch
crunch with hip tilt
reverse crunch
repeat
oblique crunch with knee ins finishing

Last edited:
This morning I did JS Cardio Step Jam which was 32 minutes and 243 calories burned. My average heart rate was 129 and maximum heart rate was 148. I also did 10 minutes of a Jane Adams yoga practice, Upper Body Strength and Flexibility. This one is from her Yoga for Beginners dvd and was a good stretch for my shoulders and upper body. The full practice is 22 minutes.

Valerie, there is an upper body premix for High Reps. As Deb mentioned, I always check the shop Cathe page to review the dvds and remind myself of what they are like. I never did the premixes either, so I have to check there to see what’s included. I really like the user guides for that purpose, too.

Judy, it’s good that you have made it through the worst part of the spring gardening season. I’m sure that things will get better soon.

Diane Sue, great job with KCM Cardio Pump workout and Raw Hip Hop Weights. My resistance tubing is very old and I have no idea about the weight equivalents. I’ve been thinking about replacing them. I have actually looked at the set that you sent in the link above.

Deb, the Jane Adams Yoga dvds are good for those times when I just want a good stretch. Her practices are less dynamic than some of the others that I do. That’s one reason that they work well for my husband who just wants to work on his flexibility and balance. I first heard about her from another forum.

Hello to Lori.

Valerie, high reps does have an upper and lower premix. I am sure you can find plenty to do instead of just Stacked Sets Upper.

Judy, I bet you will be happy to have the fewer hours other than less money it will be nice ;)

Carolyn, I started looking for new tubing when my Cathe medium tubing handle broke off when I was using it. I have had several bands and tubing handles break off over time. It is really not pleasant pulling on something and having it snap and your arms jerk off of it. I have heard of people using door anchors and getting snapped in the face with broken tubing. Best to make sure they are in good shape. Latex deteriorates. I look at the dvds on the workout manager and see what exercises are in the premixes.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.