Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 6/2

Judy, hang in there. gardening season must have peaked by now.

I have had Thera bands break but usually they looked frayed and I just used them too long. I have some tubing, one is too easy so its almost useless, and the other 2 are so hard they are not much use either. I have a hard one here and for some moves it's fine but others, like over my head, it is impossible. I guess I need to get some medium resistance ones.
I will take a look at shop cathe. I have not used that feature much, and usually just look at the disk itself. so thanks for the suggestions.

Good morning,

Valerie, Lots of people use snow fence here too. Fortunately, our stockade fence is good enough for the windy/snowy days. That ride sounds wonderful. Some time you should post some pics. Would really like to see some of what is there. I think you will be pleasantly surprised at the number and usefulness of the premixes on Cathe's DVD's.

Judy, hopefully they will cut your hours to something more manageable.

Diane Sue, thanks for the link. It makes sense if you are using bands, to be able to switch to different weights. I have a green one, (pretty easy) and a blue one, (which I can hardly use at all, it is too difficult). No matter what the resistance is, or how easy, I cannot do shoulder raises or tricep extensions over my head.

Carolyn, are you doing the June rotation? I found that once I did the full regular workout of Cathe's most of the time I would use a premix. Funny how we are all different in that way.

Hi to Lori,

Take care,

Deb I have been unable I do pictiures. I can send them from my phone but they are always too big. I've given up trying. I can send the pics to my computer but they are still too big. pics have always been troublesome for me.

mostly I was surprised that snow fence is useful for things other than snow. its less costly, lighter, than using wooden snow fence but the plastic snow fence degrades from sunlight and wind so it looks like replacement every year or at most every other. our fence needs to go on a steep hill, we'd need machinery to get wooden fence in place there.

Are the colors "consistent" with resistance bands and tubing? does "blue" mean the same thing across brands? I have blue TheraBand, use it a lot but it's not hard. the tubing with handles, I have an old red one that is too easy no matter how much I shorten it up. but the black ones vary. one is tough but usable, but the black on I got for this house is so stiff I cant get any ROM except for bicep curls. when I did the body weight/bands it was way too hard to lift over my head, and I'm generally strong in that type of move. If I get almost no ROM I can't really do the "work" . I am generally at least as strong as Cathe in those moves. so two take aways from this trip is get a medium strength band, research the disks I have with upper body pre mixes. and also get a couple more weights, like 12's and 15's. I had several ankle loos and they varied gretly in stiffness. I have a lime green one now that is harder than the blue TheraBand.

I thought erroneously that pre mixes were always shorter but its so convenient to get the warm up, main workout, abs, stretch all in sequence rather than going back to the main menu several times.

Today I did Strong and Sweaty Bootcamp. That was 50 minutes with 293 calories burned. My average heart rate was 119 and maximum heart rate was 158.

Deb, I can’t do tricep extensions with the band either. I usually switch to dumbbells for that. I am loosely following the June rotation. Tomorrow’s scheduled workout is Pyramid Upper Body but I don’t want to do that after Bootcamp today. I will substitute something else, but I haven’t decided what it will be.

Valerie, I have the same question about the color and strenuous resistance tubing. I have looked at everything that came with my set and I don’t see the strength. I use the blue one most times. I have a black band that came with the Peak Fit program that is really hard!

Hello to Diane Sue, Judy, and Lori.

This morning I did Kelly Coffey Cardio Sculpt Fitness premix cardio with the abs, 40 minutes 283 calories, met 8.0, heart rate 134 average, max 171, 3,043 steps. I then did Raw Kettlebell and Dumbbell Fusion, 27 minutes, heart rate average 128, max 161, 166 calories, 1,445 steps, met 7.2. I finished off with Lite Extended stretch #2, 11 minutes, 31 calories, 11 steps. Total time was 78 minutes, 480 calories, 4,499 steps.
KETTLEBELL DUMBBELL FUSION
1 minute each move 12# dbs, 3# dbs for boxing moves, and 20# kettlebell for various swings
squat curls 12# dbs, punches 3# dbs, double arm swings
repeat
deadlift/row/high pull 12# dbs, 3 # dbs for upper cuts hop and switch feet, alternating kettlebell swings
repeat
kickbacks 12# dbs with reverse lunge, 3 # dbs high hook low hooks, kettlebell figure 8's
repeat
push ups, sit up punches, sit up hooks alternating
repeat
stretch

Valerie, I have some yellow tubing that I have had many years and it is so light. I am surprised it is still in tact. I give it to a grandchild to use when they want to workout with me. I find the soft latex bands are much easier to stretch overhead. I mostly use my non latex bands. The one they gave with the Fit Tower is Latex and much more stretchy. I have to put the pictures on my tablet and click on it to resize and make it around 300-400 pixels to get downsize and use them. I save them to my desk top so I can find them and rename them as sized and whatever they are. I have tried to send through Tapatalk and just through my tablet and they are huge. You would think they could set something up to automatically downsize pictures when posted. Facebook is easy to post a group of pictures on so I don't see why other places can't set something up. I don't think there is any universal color strength tubing and band colors. Cathe's medium was blue and the heavy was red. My blue tubing broke and did not last long. The handle just popped off of it. I have seen them use green. I noticed that other companies make clip on handle tubing and their colors are different. I saw one set on Amazon that had the weights on them, or it looked like they were labeled. May have been just for the picture. The B-lines just snap into the handles. Since I mainly use the two different weights and not the heaviest since I have the heavy Cathe, I rarely snap them in and out of the handles. Cathe's lime green band was her medium and the blue heavy. The fit tower band is a mint green and like I said, it feels much more stretchy to me. The light Cathe one is pink. I had a medium dark purple one that came from the roll of band that I had purchased. I guess it was meant for gyms that needed to cut lengths for multiple clients. I have a whole set of fitness loops that my husband got me and I like that there are extra light, light, two levels of mediums, 2 levels of heavy and two levels of extra heavy. They have markers on them and words to let you know what you are grabbing. Would be nice to have bands like that, although the Cathe logo wore off of my bands.

Carolyn, did they have S&S Bootcamp followed by Pyramid upper in that rotation? Or did you just choose to do Bootcamp today? I don't always like to do workouts that include strength work two days in a row. That Bootcamp workout is pretty tough.

it sounds like the colors and resistance are different with each company. too bad that cant be agreed on. its like ski runs and bike trails are designated... blue circles are easy, green squares are medium and black diamonds are hardest. at least you get an idea and can fine tune it as needed but some consistency. I bought a Theraband box roll of the royal blue. it was at the higher end of resistance. the tubing with the handles is a whole different story. one black one is decent, the other black one is too hard to do anything with.

we rode this morning after a false start. got to trailhead, DH took his bike out of the truck and realized the rear tire was flat. most likely wild roses on the ride yesterday. damn thorns. so back home to fix it. trail was only 2 miles away and we have a better pump and more tools, it was so windy we could not have changed the tire out there. then drove back to the trail. rode an hour and 45 min in serious wind. part of it was so windy we were getting blown sideways, but once we got around a bend it was less intense. the rest of the ride was breezy but OK. tomorrow is shopping and getting license plates, maintenance work. we will head back either Saturday or sunday.

Last edited:
Good morning,

I am off to Erie Pa in a bit for an agility trial....2 runs, hopefully will qualify in both but I would take 1 if I got it! :)

Take care,

Today I did Cardio Party + Extended Stretch One. My total time was 48 minutes with 300 calories burned. Average heart rate was 132 and maximum heart rate was 150. I ran out to the grocery store after my workout between the storms that we are having.

Deb, good luck today at the agility trials.

Diane Due, great workout yesterday. Yes, the June rotation has the Bootcamp and Pyramid Upper on consecutive days. I’m sure that Cathe had a reason for setting it up that way, but it doesn’t work for me. I would have done Bootcamp on a different day if I had noticed the structure at the beginning of the week.

Hello to Valerie, Judy, and Lori. Have a nice day everyone.

Deb good luck with the trials.

got all our errands done this morning. it sure is easier to do administrative things in a small town. no lines, parking is easy. people are helpful. the car dealer did not get our paperwork to the county o it looked like a wasted trip. we left our phone number with the clerk, went to grocery store. were just starting to drive home when the clerk called, said papers came in this mornings mail. we turned right around, got the licensing done in 5 minutes. she had some of the paperwork done, just had to pay, and out with our new license plates. a pleasant experience.... except for the money of course.
we will drive home tomorrow rather than sunday since weather is so-so. it is feeling very comfortable being here. indoor workout today, either revd rumble or upper body.

Today's workout was Coffey Fit Raw Kettlebell Dumbbell, 25 minutes, met 8.0, 139 calories, heart rate average 122, max 169, 1,255 steps. Coffey Fit Raw Just Step, 24 minutes, met 8.9, heart rate average 151, max 175, 168 calories. I finished off with Coffey Fit Raw Upper Body Blast 30 minutes, met 6.2, heart rate average 107, max 151, 165 calories, 583 steps. Total time was 79 minutes, 472 calories, 4,081 steps
Raw Kettlebells and Dumbbells 30 sec each move done 3 times
squats 15# dbs
halos 20# kettlebell
3x 30 sec each
lunges 15# dbs
figure 8's 20# kettlebell
3x 30 sec each
deadlift 15# dbs suitcase style
double swings 20# kettlebell
3x 30 sec each
plyometric squat, lunge, squat 2x
pop squats 2x
split switches 2x
(back to kettlebell dumbbell)
reverse lunge 15# dbs
single arm swings singles then 3rd round alternating
3x 30 sec each
goblet squat 20# kettlebell
knee up twist 20# kettlebell
3 x
ends with non weighted moves and stretch

Upper Body Blast Raw(kelly does this as endurance but says you can slow down and lift heavier)
Done 30 sec each exercise 4 rounds
bench press 30# barbesll 3 sets 25# 1 set
shoulders seated overhead press 25# barbell , 12# dbs, 10,10# dbs

Flys 15# dbs 4 sets
lateral raise 12# dbs, 10,10 # dbs, 8# dbs
(my shoulders are fried from this weeks workouts)

skate curls 10# dbs all four sets
hammer curls done as squat curl hop 10# dbs four sets

Barbell underhand rows 25# barbell 4 sets
dips 4 sets

skull crushers 12# dbs 4 sets
abs knee ins seated on step 4 sets

Deb, good luck with the trials. I hope you qualify in both. Good luck.

Valerie, that is too bad about the flat tire. I liked the smaller towns for getting things done without standing in lines for long periods of time. It is so much nicer and takes away the dread of taking care of things. That is great that the papers came in and you got that stuff done too.

Carolyn, I have wondered with some rotations at the order. Kelly has a Raw challenge with daily workouts and a dvd challenge. Going through all of her workouts. I did yesterday's and todays. On top of the Hip Hop Weights that I did Tuesday, I have done weight work every day. I was surprised that tomorrow is her Raw sculpting and boxing for the Raw challenge, since today was weight work and yesterday was the kettlebell dumbbell workout. The boxing and sculpting is light weight with Boxing and is one of her original raw youtube workouts. It is probably doable, but I feel like I need a break for just cardio. Her dvd challenge workout tomorrow is the earlier Kickboxing dvd that I did Tuesday, or I would do that one. I did wonder at all of the weight work. These workouts have been pretty much endurance type workouts though.

weather is really nasty right now and everything is very cold, wet so decision got made for us and we will head back tomorrow for sure. I did rev'd up rumble later today. it was back either sat or sunday, and no reason to stay tomorrow.

Today I did Pyramid Upper Body, the up only premix. My time was 53 minutes with 271 calories burned. Average heart rate was 113 and maximum heart rate was 163. I also did Jane Adams Standing Total Body practice from the Yoga for Beginners dvd. That was 22 minutes and an additional 89 calories burned. I was planning to go to my club meeting, but the weather is terrible. The rain is very heavy with very little let up and flooding in many areas. I decided at the last minute that I shouldn’t go out.

Diane Sue, where did you see Kelly’s dvd challenge? Is it on her Facebook?

Valerie, I hope that you have safe travels today.

Hello to Deb, Judy, and Lori.

Today I did Coffey Fit Raw Boxing and Sculpting, 29 minutes, heart rate 129 average, max 160, met 6.5, 170 calories, 2,093 steps. I then did 30 minutes to fitness Kickboxing workout #2, 27 minutes, heart rate average 140, max 171, met 7.5, 194 calories, 2,300 steps. I then did Coffey Fit Raw 6 & 60 core/abs, 11 minutes, 35 calories, met 4.0, 66 steps. I finished with Raw foam roller 25 minutes, met 2.5, 55 calories, 158 steps. Total time was 92 minutes, 454 calories, 4,704 steps .

Valerie, sorry it ended up snowing. Have a safe trip home. Nice job getting Rev'd up and Rumble in.

Carolyn, nice work today. There is a group on facebook that Kelly is part of and another lady runs. Kelly put up this challenge. The lady that is group administrator has a motivational thing going to earn points for workouts more points for doing the challenge workouts and they drop some for others. She even added a bonus for 5 pts today for doing a 2 mile walk or treadmill walk and some russian twists and hydrants. There is supposed to be a small gift for the winner. I can post the link. You just have to request being in the group and they will accept you. I joined when it was posted on Kelly's facebook as she has done a couple of live talks and answering questions. It was quite informative and interesting. Kelly is putting up the workouts the evening before. She has two new dvds going up for pre-sale on the 17th.
You are wise to not go out when there is flooding. We have had so much and I have not answered with a definitive yes to go to the ladies game day. There is some rain tomorrow predicted. They have had bridges washed out and roads closed. I don't want to deal with that. It takes awhile to repair some of those road conditions.

Last edited:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/462001390917194/ It is train smart with coffey fit.

Edited to say Kelly just put up tomorrows workouts: DVD workout is Bootcamp 1 or 2 or both
Raw workout Hips and Glutes.
I will have to think about this. Sunday is generally rest and stretch. She did say to take breaks where you want and fit the workout of the day in somewhere else. The thing is Tuesday I have my ladies game day and it will take me around 30 minutes to drive there and we start at 9 am. So, time will be limited. Monday is my day with daughter and grandchildren for swimming and library so another limited day. The challenges do not have to be long though if you stick with just the one workout :) She did put together some short ones one day including a finisher to make a total workout. I should go back and type these up so I can keep them to use. They may have it put in the files on the group page where they have workout and premixes listed.

Last edited:
I went back through the posts for the challenge and now have the first 9 days of Kelly's Challenge written down. It took a bit, as I think the first couple of days it was not catching on as quickly since those doing the dvds did not all have the very first dvds. It was also harder to find them. Now Kelly posts them in a large rainbow box so they are easy to see.

Good afternoon.

We had a "double Q" yesterday! It was awesome. So much fun.

Carolyn., I'm with you for staying home, hope those storms don't last too long and there is not too much damage. Good job on Cardio plus the extra stretch.

Valerie, snow in June? ugh! hope you had a safe uneventful trip back. I sometimes wonder what it would be like to live in a very small town. I mean "really" small...kind of like Mayberry. LOL.

Diane Sue, RAW Kettlebell Dumbell sounds like it would be a fun workout. That challenge sounds interesting...kind of taking a monthly rotation like Cathe does in a different direction.

Hi to Loir & Judy,

Take care,

Hi Everyone,
I'm sorry I haven't been posting. Work is crazy and I haven't had much time for anything else. I'm still reading everyone's posts and I will try to get back to posting soon.

Judy

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.